Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 2:50 PM
Default Is the Sims Medevil worth getting?
It seems to be pretty cheap used right now and if it were a time travel expansion pack like Into the Future where I could send my Sims family that I am playing as into the past I would pick it up in a second, but with it being stand alone and not effecting the rest of the game(how cool would it be to be able to add castle style stuff like a draw bridge to your house in the main game?)and I not sure there is enough content to make it worth it.

LGR made it sound like it was just a single adventure world that doesn't give you that much to do.

I like the idea of it, i just like it more as an expansion pack instead of stand alone. Still even stand alone it sounds kind of fun. Is there at least a create a Sim in this game or are you stuck with default Sims?

So my question is, do you own this and if so is it worth getting?

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 3:25 PM Last edited by Elynda : 19th Jun 2016 at 3:44 PM.
I suppose it is really a matter of taste. It depends on what sort of game you enjoy playing. Once I'd got the hang of it, and got all the bugs patched, I enjoyed playing it, and I still do go back to it from from time to time. But once you have played through most of the quests it starts getting a bit repetitive. Having said that, there are so many different permutations with the quests (different characters, different approaches) that it will take you a while to explore all the possibilities.
It could have done with more expansions I think, but IMO it could have done without 'Pirates and Nobles': Okay, that expansion added a lot to game play and more quests, but the anachronism of pirates in 18th Century cocked hats didn't sit right for me. It spoiled the whole medieval atmosphere, which is what attracted me to the game in the first place.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
I suppose it is really a matter of taste. It depends on what sort of game you enjoy playing. Once I'd got the hang of it, and got all the bugs patched, I enjoyed playing it, and I still do go back to it from from time to time. But once you have played through most of the quests it starts getting a bit repetitive. Having said that, there are so many different permutations with the quests (different characters, different approaches) that it will take you a while to explore all the possibilities.
It could have done with more expansions I think, but IMO it could have done without 'Pirates and Nobles': Okay, that expansion added a lot to game play and more quests, but the anachronism of pirates in 18th Century cocked hats didn't sit right for me. It spoiled the whole medieval atmosphere, which is what attracted me to the game in the first place.

Thanks, that was helpful. Still not sure if I should get it, so I am looking for as much feedback as I can get given how limited my spending money is at the moment.

One question does the game have CAS in it, or are you stuck with premade characters?

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 5:24 PM
It's been a while since I've played but have my thoughts:
The thing with TSM is that it is a quests game.

When you create Heroes (which are the only characters you're going to create, if I remember correctly), there is a CAS, but it's more limited if you compare with TS3.

There are still some sliders for facial structure, skintone and complexion (age/details). You can use the colour palette in a la Create-a-Style to recolour the hair/eyes/certain parts of the clothing as you want them. You also have traits.

I personally remember being a nice break from TS3 from time to time and actually fun! I really liked the setting.
But as Elynda said, it could be a bit repetitive after a time.

As I mentioned, the game is actually a chain of little quests (talk to this one, create this, collect that, etc.) that give you points to develop your Kingdom and unlock more characters and quests as you play. I believe the only controllable characters are your heroes (Monarch, Knight, Physician...).

You can marry, flirt, fight, have children (that will never grow up, except if your hero dies, I think).

But you can actually use cheats to play in Free mode whenever you like, but keep in mind that the game is not as rich in this respect as a game like TS3 is.

But hey, Carl actually made a guide for TSM. The information over there will maybe be more helpful than the little bits I can remember.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2016 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
It's been a while since I've played but have my thoughts:
The thing with TSM is that it is a quests game.

When you create Heroes (which are the only characters you're going to create, if I remember correctly), there is a CAS, but it's more limited if you compare with TS3.

There are still some sliders for facial structure, skintone and complexion (age/details). You can use the colour palette in a la Create-a-Style to recolour the hair/eyes/certain parts of the clothing as you want them. You also have traits.

I personally remember being a nice break from TS3 from time to time and actually fun! I really liked the setting.
But as Elynda said, it could be a bit repetitive after a time.

As I mentioned, the game is actually a chain of little quests (talk to this one, create this, collect that, etc.) that give you points to develop your Kingdom and unlock more characters and quests as you play. I believe the only controllable characters are your heroes (Monarch, Knight, Physician...).

You can marry, flirt, fight, have children (that will never grow up, except if your hero dies, I think).

But you can actually use cheats to play in Free mode whenever you like, but keep in mind that the game is not as rich in this respect as a game like TS3 is.

But hey, Carl actually made a guide for TSM. The information over there will maybe be more helpful than the little bits I can remember.

Thanks a bunch, that is a huge help. I think I will read the guide and then decide. I love quest games but that isn't really what I play the Sims for. I wish into the future had not been the last expansion pack because I can think of a ton of other time periods I would love to be able to play The Sims in and that expansion pack does a good job of opening a door to them, too bad the door only lead to one room.

My PC specs.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 3:00 PM
With Sims Medieval, one creates a royal character (king/queen) at first and other Sims as professions open, sometimes playing a single sim, sometimes playing 2 sims at once. These sims each have a selection of 2 positive traits and 1 negative as well as different mini-games for their profession. So, there's some customization. The game isn't structure isn't that free-form. Each core play-through features "quests" and has a specific goal for the kingdom. Players have a limited amount of quests to reach that goal.

It actually can be quite a bit of fun, and most of the profession mini-games are well thought out. However, the quests repeat for each kingdom playthrough (each play-through lasts about 8-12 hours [possibly more if one faffs about where possible]), so each overall kingdom playthrough can feel very same-y. When I had it installed I liked the game well enough, but only play it on a weekend, finish a kingdom goal, then come back to it a few months later so it didn't feel like I was going through all the motions.

If you do decide to purchase it, I highly recommend getting Grim's Medieval Core for a bit more customization/options: http://modthesims.info/t/449550
Instructor
#8 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
If you like reading your own adventure.

It seems interesting to play, but I got 2 questions;

1. Does it lags/freezes like TS3?
2. Will the "daydreaming" mod also works for TSM too? hehe.. :D
Instructor
#10 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 6:58 PM
@nitromon thank you for the brief summary, it sounds like a "must have" one for me hehe..

by the way I also read it somewhere that it has the same engine as TS3, and since it was built from the same engine game as TS3, will I be needing to have FPS Limiter for TSM? And will S3PE and S3OC also works to open/edit TSM package main files?

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hmm what is the "daydreaming" mod? You made it sound very devious.

is that a yes, it works??