Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#176 Old 9th May 2008 at 12:01 AM
(((OOC: Probably spammy, but thought this would amuse you guys. I added the old walking fossil (AKA Dimitri) to my game today. And who was in his welcoming committee? Marie-Elisabeth and Cesar. So he greets them, and about 2.5 seconds afterwards Cesar starts hitting on Marie-Elisabeth in the middle of the street! This is all I managed to get though, I wasn't quick enough for a hitting on pic. They were talking about necklaces or jewelry or soemthing like that.

And then afterwards they were all dancing, and Dimitri kept shooting dirty looks at Cesar and getting wants to poke and shove him! I must admit though, for a fossil he has some pretty awesome dance moves )))

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Advertisement
Original Poster
#177 Old 9th May 2008 at 7:01 AM
((Damn you SlytherinGirl... im meant to be revising but now i just want to play sims.... oh dear but in other news I may almost be happy enough with Mercy to release her unto the site Atropa!))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#178 Old 9th May 2008 at 7:10 AM
Default Octavien & Bella - from Grand Ballroom to Palace Entrance Hall
Quote: Originally posted by slytherin-girl
So he greets them, and about 2.5 seconds afterwards Cesar starts hitting on Marie-Elisabeth in the middle of the street! ..... They were talking about necklaces or jewelry or soemthing like that.

:laugh: Oh my God, he does stay true to character! And that is such a coincidence (the jewelry thing), eh, slytherin?

Quote: Originally posted by slytherin-girl
... for a fossil he has some pretty awesome dance moves

*tries to restrain giggle* ... *fails miserably, and bursts out laughing*
Looks like poking and shoving wasn't enough, he's stepping on César's foot, too!

-----------------------------------------------------

It had started out nothing more but a small tingle, the mere hint of a feeling, but had during the course of the past couple of minutes grown stronger, until he was no longer in doubt of whether or not it really existed, or was simply an illusion; hope manifesting itself as something that seemed real, but was not.

It wasn't trust exactly, as Octavien, due to recent events, had found his ability to trust to be severely lacking. But it was something similar. Careful faith, the willingness to take a chance. Not enough that it would end up harming him if it turned out he was wrong in doing so, but a chance nonetheless. To him, it felt like a giant leap back towards what he had been when coming here. For while on arrival at court he could hardly have been described as an innocent young boy without a cunning bone in his body, he hadn't been nearly as suspicious of people and their motives, as his experiences as of late had made him. Shrewd and ambitious, yes, but not seeing ulterior motives everywhere.

The Baroness might still have them, of course, and her not knowing who he was might be an act, as a way of disarming him of the general mistrust that had come with being knighted Prince, with being made someone whom people would find a reason to either befriend or decieve, all for their own hidden purposes, and not for being someone whose company they genuinly appreciated. And her interest in music might be an act as well, or at least an intentional effort to spark his interest, and ensure that he found the two of them to have something in common. Granted, his love for music wasn't that widely known in court (or so he thought, oblivious to the fact that his two friends had just revealed that particular secret to a room full of other courtiers), but he had been tutoring the Queen in playing the harpsichord, so it was indeed possible that someone had hard of it and had quite naturally come to the conclusion that he had at least some interest in the musical field.

It wasn't a far-fetched theory; the tactics of first disarming him and then piquing his interest, so that he would open up to the idea of possible 'friendship', thus allowing the Baroness to get close to him, without ever sensing whatever threat she might pose.

However, while not a far-fetched theory per se, he couldn't help but feel, even when twisting and turning it and looking at it from every possible angle, that it might not be anything more than just what it appeared to be; the sincere actions of a young woman, newly arrived at court and without a hidden agenda. After all, stranger things had happened.

She seemed a bit taken aback by his invitation at first, apparently as surprised by it as Octavien himself was at having made it. But only delightfully so, perhaps wondering about such an unexpected gesture from a gentleman with whom she was barely acquainted, and didn't even know for a fact to be a gentleman - but not questioning it. Which was probably a good thing, as Octavien had a hard time explaining it to himself. People often said that old habits die hard, but it would seem as was the case with new ones as well; although his suspicion no longer ruled him, in this particular case, it still lingered in the back of his mind.

"I would love to", the Baroness said, initial surprise overcome, and offering that same pleasantly soft smile from before. "It would be my pleasure."

Walking together, side by side, they finally left the Grand Ballroom behind, pausing only briefly outside the doors while Octavien pulled the large ornamented caparisons shut behind them, before continuing towards the Red Salon in silent understanding, as that seemed to be the hot spot of the evening.

"I have a confession to make", Bella admitted and turned her head to look at Octavien as they slowly began to cross the large stretch of polished marble floor. "I have never been to the opera."

Looking back at her to show that he was listening, Octavien's eyebrows rose slightly in yet another look of mild surprise at such a confession. A young noblewoman, obviously raised to be a sophisticated and cultivated lady, deprived of the wonderful experience of going to the opera? Even when the musical piece itself was the most dreadful thing ever heard, it was still a most exhilirating enterprise, as regardless of what one thought about the music, the vocals and the acting, what one felt, one felt with a passion. At least to Octavien, it was impossible to leave the opera house unaffected by what he had seen, and the feeling of being emotionally and creatively alive was stronger than ever, lasting for hours, sometimes even days.
Ah, what wonders she had missed!

But, before he could launch himself into vivid regret of what she had been so cruelly deprived of, Bella herself continued, perhaps sensing his reaction and wanting to explain before he had the chance to say something, even if it wouldn't have been anything remotely bad or judgemental about her. About whoever had been in charge of her upbringing and her education; possibly. But not about her.

"I mean, I have always wanted to", she explained, having given a small, somewhat embarrassed laugh while shifting her gaze, but now turned back to look at him once again. "The opportunity simply never arose. Well, until now, of course."

Though any insecurity or self-consciousness she might have experienced at such an admission, would turn out to be uncalled for, as the only feeling spreading it's wings across Octavien's clean-cut features, was unbridled ardor. Well, as much of unbridled ardor as a young but grown man could display without looking anything like an excited child. Needless to say, it was plain to see that he was quite an avid fan of the opera.

"Then you absolutely must come", he said enthusiastically as they passed the impressive staircase, even though she had already agreed to do so. "I could spend hours trying to describe the experience, but nothing I can say will ever do it justice."

- - - - -

Meanwhile, the Marquis and Marquise had begun taking their leave of the Red Salon, both quite content with their achievement, as well as with all the praise Joséphine herself had recieved. César having pointed out that it was time for dinner, and that Joséphine, as she herself had put it, could not neglect her meals, they had bid their company a good evening, and set out for the Grand Diningroom once more. Now, they had just exited the Red Salon and stepped out into the entrance hall, where they immediately spotted Octavien leaving the Grand Ballroom, with an unknown young brunette by his side.

"Well well well", César said with a playful smirk as the couples neared eachother. "Look who's chosen to grace us mere mortals with his presence."

Having been somewhat preoccupied with talking to Bella, it was only then that Octavien noticed his two friends, and his face lit up with a wide, genuine smile.

"Ah, there they are", he said. "I've been looking for you two."

"Yes...", César said, with a sly smile stealing slowly across his lips, accompanied by meaning glance at Bella, obviously drawing his own conclusions. "So I see."

Octavien, however, pretended he didn't notice, but merely proceeded with the introductions;

"César, Joséphine, this is Baroness Isabella Devine", he said. "Baroness, meet César and Joséphine de la Valliére, the Marquis and Marquise de Mont-de-Marsan, two of my dearest friends."

'Hello's, 'Nice to meet you's and all other polite phrases of greeting over and done with, Octavien then continued;

"I've found myself in the mood to visit the opera this evening. Will you join me? The Baroness is coming also."

(((ooc: Ghanima & Alissa - Sorry for just going ahead like this, but considering we don't have that much time before the evening is over, I figured I'd move things along. I have, however, left room for Bella to respond to Octavien before they run into César and Joséphine, should Alissa have something to add, and the same goes for the introductions; I kept it fairly vague, so that you guys can decide for yourselves what was said.
Furthermore, as I've left it open for either of you to reply, maybe you could decide amongst yourselves who should post first? Just a suggestion, so that you don't end up cross-posting. And as always, any objections or changes you want made, let me know.

Fayreview - Yey! We'd be honored to have her. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#179 Old 9th May 2008 at 7:53 AM
(OOC: Look at Dimitri go! Why does he remind me of disco Stu?
Atropa, 'tis fine, I'm okay with that. Ghanima, would you like to take it from there and I'll follow?)

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Alchemist
#180 Old 9th May 2008 at 11:19 AM
César, Joséphine, Bella and Octavien - the Corridors

Time had a tendency to speed by when one was having fun, a rule no less true in the case of Joséphine and her entourage that afternoon in the Red Salon. Hidden behind heavy storm clouds, the sun's disc had since reached zenith, drawing all the light away from the sky and leaving a morose, aquamarine-grey spreading in its wake. All around them, servants scurried about inconspicuously, re-lighting candles and replacing old ones, thus maintaining the Salon's cosy, luminescent atmosphere. The passage of day and night was not something allowed to inconvenience the aristocracy.

Evening was at the door; César and Joséphine, although perfectly content where they were, knew time to retreat was nigh: not only the previously buzzing atmosphere had mellowed into a lazy hum, but more and more personages said their goodbyes and headed to dinner, something the Marquis and Marquise de Mont-de-Marsan had in mind also.

Exchanging final profits and losses with their cards partners as well as parting words, the couple then made their exit, each with a fairly satisfied smile on their lips. Their walk was short lived however, and no more than a few steps down the corridor brought them face to face with Octavien who was deep into conversation with a young brunette. Exchanging a frugal glance, César and Joséphine approached in silence, until they were finally noticed by the two, César promptly expressing his first opinions on their association.

"César, Joséphine, this is Baroness Isabella Devine", the Prince said, intentionally oblivious to his friend's subtle hints "Baroness, meet César and Joséphine de la Valliére, the Marquis and Marquise de Mont-de-Marsan, two of my dearest friends."

“Pleased to meet you, Baroness”, Joséphine replied with an inclination of her brow, silently appraising their new acquaintance. She was young, and comely, and by the looks of it Octavien was enjoying her company. Naturally, César was already drawing conclusions, but Joséphine preferred to keep observing them. As it turned out, Octavien provided her with just the right opportunity to do so, and spend an enjoyable evening together:

"I've found myself in the mood to visit the opera this evening. Will you join me? The Baroness is coming also."

Joséphine's eyes lit up instantly at these words: the Opera, how she loved it! Both musically inclined people, Octavien and herself never missed an opportunity to visit it, least of all one they have never attended before.

“I would be more than happy to,” the Marquise responded quickly, glancing significantly at César. “It has been quite a long time since I've had the chance to enjoy the Opera, and what a wonderful opportunity to catch up on both old and new acquaintances...!” she added with a brief nod first in Octavien's direction, then Bella's.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Scholar
#181 Old 9th May 2008 at 2:36 PM
Default Octavien, Bella, Joséphine and César - The Corridors
A zealous smile grew over Octavien features as she made the confession, as if he couldn’t wait to share his enthusiasm with someone else so musically inclined. Bella could see liberal youth fill his appealing features while he thought briefly to himself. Perhaps he was looking down on her, perhaps he was not, but Bella enjoyed the infectious excitement that trickled through is being. He was most obviously passionate about music; after all, who in their right mind has never lost themselves to a tune or a few?

"Then you absolutely must come", he said reasserted with renewed fervour the great staircase came to pass. His passion regarding the matter of music matched and surpassed her own, making Bella further intrigued in the matter of Opera. "I could spend hours trying to describe the experience, but nothing I can say will ever do it justice."

She was sure that was not true as her eyes glanced up to him in admiration of his devotion. She could imagine he’d do it justice and them some for he seemed to love the art with every fibre of his being. It was a sort of veracious human ardour that further asserted his genuineness to Bella despite all her cautious nature. His company was far more compelling than anything she’d been subjected to lately.

"Well well well,” came the sound of a masculine voice as Bella looked up to a light-hearted smirk as on the face of a handsome young man with a beautiful woman at his side. "Look who's chosen to grace us mere mortals with his presence."

Octavien raised his eyesight onto the approaching couple, a young man and woman. Nobles, surely, Bella decided. As his vision acknowledged their presence, Octavien’s face eased into a soothing smile of pure sanctuary. The couple continued to approach absorbedly with the same rapport Octavien had indicated with his reaction to them.

"Ah, there they are,” Octavien said, turning to them in a welcoming stance. "I've been looking for you two."

"Yes...” the other man appeared to concede, but the wily smile that spread across his lips suggested that he thought otherwise. Bella could feel her eyebrow rise every so slightly as a subtly amused smile stole across her lips before she could take control. "So I see."

"César, Joséphine, this is Baroness Isabella Devine,” Octavien continued on, apparently oblivious. However, Bella knew he’d taken notice of it and simply chose not to respond to it. A controlled man, indeed, but one who knew and understood passion at the same time. "Baroness, meet César and Joséphine de la Valliére, the Marquis and Marquise de Mont-de-Marsan, two of my dearest friends."

“Pleased to meet you, Baroness,” Joséphine greeted Bella. She was striking to say the least, but her true appeal lay in an exquisitely pleasant way she had about her, some grace that had been particularly bestowed upon her. Bella could feel herself being studied by the lovely Joséphine, but it had happened in the subtle manner than most nobles fell short of. Her conduct was somewhat a contrast to César's youthful nature.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you too, Marquise,” Bella replied with sincere smile, lightly tilting her head in a small bow, then turning to César. “And you, Marquis.”

"I've found myself in the mood to visit the opera this evening,” Octavien started to hand out his intended invitations. “Will you join me? The Baroness is coming also."

Bella almost felt the excitement trickle through Joséphine. Evidently, she also shared the apparently widespread addiction to music. Bella could tell she was likely to enjoy the company of Joséphine as much as she had enjoyed Octavien’s so far.

“I would be more than happy to,” Joséphine responded with a fleeting look at César. “It has been quite a long time since I've had the chance to enjoy the Opera, and what a wonderful opportunity to catch up on both old and new acquaintances...!”

Now, Bella anticipated to the evening even more than she had before. It looked to be a lively night and for all the light the sun had withdrawn from the skies, they could simply replace it with light-heartedness. It really was a delight to meet all of them, people she could see herself getting along with. Well, if they were anything like Octavien seemed to be. Still, a part of her refused to throw caution to the wind.

“I certainly look forward to it too,” Bella smiled at Joséphine softly with the hint of excitement escaping through her voice as she turned her eyes to Octavien.

(OOC: I hope that's all okay. Anything amiss, please say the word )

Original Poster
#182 Old 9th May 2008 at 3:45 PM
((Hi guys,

I know this is so bad coming from me... but can we try to keep OCC comments to being attachments to actual posts. It just looks tidier.... And i know i'm more guilty than most of you :fallen: *blush* but hey you will have to try and be a good influence on me :evilnod: .

So just to repeat as that was a clear as mud. Please try and keep chatter to the same post as actual in character stuff as demonstrated so well by Atropa.... who I must say is among the jewels of the Baroque Court Crown. :lovestruc

Ciao

:hat: Fayre :hat: ))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#183 Old 9th May 2008 at 3:49 PM
Default Octavien, César, Bella and Joséphine - off to the opera
As introductions were made and greetings exchanged, César found himself fighting back a widening grin. Hardly surprising, neither to himself nor anyone else that knew him well, as César was the kind of person who would sometimes percieve others based more on his own personality instead of theirs, than most others would. Thus, while he left his reaction to Octavien's new-found and beautiful friend to be nothing more than a meaning look, he was obviously thinking to himself a great deal. And none of particularly pure and innocent. He didn't even give it much thought that the young Baroness did not really fit the profile of Octavien's previous 'conquests'; she could be no older than Octavien himself, and there was no ring on her finger to suggest she was married. Granted, it was a much too simplistic way of viewing Octavien's preferences, as his attraction rarely had to do with age or marital status, but he had been sent to court partly because he had been seen leaving the house of one too many married women at rather odd times at night. "One too many" being, in fact, just one altogether, as his other secret affairs might have been rumoured, but never proven as such. But, gossip always did have a tendency to grow as forceful as any hard evidence, sometimes even exceeding it, much due to something as simple as human nature.

However, not wanting to embarrass Octavien or Isabella any further - at least for now - César firmly shackled all such tendencies, and remained silent, while both women expressed their eagerness to attend the opera. César himself, on the other hand, had always been mildly impressed and interested in such things, but would still go every now and then, in order to keep up with the times, and to meet old friends and new acquaintances. The Opera and Theatre were two of the best places to be seen, as well as most popular for socializing.

And, being as restless as he was, he welcomed the opportunity to leave the Palace for a few hours, for a night out, and whatever adventures it might bring.

"Very well", he agreed.

"Splendid", said Octavien, still donning a wide, charming smile.

Ten minutes later, servants had been sent to fetch their coats and returned, orders had been given for a coach to be made ready to take them into the city and the opera, and as it pulled up outside the Palace entrance, both Octavien and César offered their arm to Bella and Joséphine, respectively, to escort them down the wide stone steps and help them into the carriage, Octavien keeping a watchful eye on Bella's reaction. For if she hadn't suspected it before, seeing the royal carriage would leave little mystery as to who he really was. And he could only hope she would forgive him his deception. From what he had seen, she seemed easygoing enough to understand, but one could never be too certain.

(((ooc: Sorry, really, REALLY rushed and crappy, but I wanted to get this reply in before I'm off to work in... about 5 minutes. Eeek! And as before, I left parts fairly open for you guys to fill in whatever you might feel was missing. Oh, and feel free to have them arrive at the opera.

Fayre - Awww. You made me blush. Will I be deemed an *ss-kisser if I say that if I am one of the jewels, you are the crown itself? ....... Yeah, thought so. *lol*)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#184 Old 9th May 2008 at 9:33 PM
Default Dimitri & Mercy - Mercy's suite. Outside. ;)
((…slytherin-girl gets my internetz bbies. :lovestruc Holy baby Christ, talk about perfect blackmail pics!

Fayre: Aww, thank ye. But I’ve finished my last paper today, so I can finally reply! Dammit, nearly half the student population’s already gone home and I’m still stuck here x_x Drive home in t-8 hours!

Yes yes, I love our courtiers too. ;D Shall update myself on the Opera Gang when I get home! But I think if there’s too little time for the opera scene to really take off, could we extend tonight just a wee bit? …And does the opera group strike anyone else as a pseudo-bachelor’s party for Octavien? His last night out as a free man!))

______

He stepped back from the door, taking the chance to survey the west wing from Mercy’s end of the hallway. This was not a wing he frequented often—but if only because of the clamour outside the Palace earlier this morning, he was certain that a few rooms must have been filled, exchanged, nobles moved around in this afternoon. The way Rukov’s attention kept returning to one of the doors, even when the Duc was giving him orders, made him curious…

Surely it hadn’t been that long since his knock, yet Dimitri supposed when one had nothing to do but wait in the corridor, then even seconds could stretch themselves. Not long at all.

When the ornate wooden slab finally swung open, it was not the attendant but Mercy herself who greeted him—with an envelope straight in his hands. His fingers recognised the texture, the stiffness in the material. It was a rather elegant envelope for a bill—he supposed it was the bill, although it bore nothing but his name, written in very feminine curves—and that also made him curious. Yet, other than the brief glance he accorded the envelope, Dimitri fixed his eyes on the Baroness’ scarlet-clad form.

He had, just moments ago, considered the Red Salon one of the most aggravating colour themes to attack his senses. But, he admitted, crimson and vermillion fit a woman’s form rather well. He noted the fan clutched in her hand; he usually ignored such accessories that so many women bore, but this must have been his first time seeing Mercy bearing one.

Dimitri held the envelope in his left hand, and was correct in his assumption: the Baroness turned to him, just far enough for a hint of the perfumed fabric to scent the air between them; his right hand accepted her offered arm. He greeted her, as always, with a bow and kiss.

“Good evening, Baroness. I hope I did not make you wait long.” A typical statement, but made with a glint in grey eyes. He thought Mercy, sharp as she was, would realise the irony in his words, the amusement underlying them. “I am afraid tonight’s weather does not offer many choices for dinner. As I have dined either in the Dining Hall or my suite thus far, I shall have to defer to your judgement in this matter. Do you have a particular place in mind?”
Original Poster
#185 Old 9th May 2008 at 11:34 PM
((Certainly, for you my dear Seiza it is still three days until morning.

Here is a little exert from my word of the day callender about the word overweening:

It may be all right, sir, but I have no overweening reliance on the faith of these marquesses, or marquis, as they call themselves.

I saw it and thought of César.... because to honest I'm not sure how many people would be safe relying on him.... especially not after how some of them have treated Octavien.))

He greeted her, as always, with a bow and kiss. She smiled gently what a man, such a gentleman he the Duc d'Lorraine was ebing to HER... When he wasn't running a girl over that was. Sure Mercy hadn't quite let that go yet, but it was quite major thing really, no matter how much it made the Baroness smile.

“Good evening, Baroness. I hope I did not make you wait long.” She raised an eyebrow, to match the twinkle in his eyes... Well he was playing maybe this evening would not require so much work to stur up some fun as she had earlier thought. “I am afraid tonight’s weather does not offer many choices for dinner. As I have dined either in the Dining Hall or my suite thus far, I shall have to defer to your judgement in this matter. Do you have a particular place in mind?”

Mercy wondered how to respond and in deed what Dimitri was expecting, had he expected a simple everyday dinner? With Baroness Venn that would not be the obvious thing to expect, but who was Dimitri to pre-empt the level of work she would do? So she simply gave a light girlish laugh and handed a red umbrella to him, it had been leaning against a table in the corridor, were she had earlier placed it. "I do have some where in mind in fact." She slowly began to manouevre Dimitri through the Palace, she did so in silence, it was during this period she realised just how far Dimitri could be tweaked, pushed and pulled, clearly he had the utmost respect for women. Mercy could see this as she knew full well he had no ultimate attraction to her... yet but Mercy was sure she could get him to atleast reciprocate attraction...

They reached the Palace doors, "we shall be needing that," she indicated the umbrella, usually a man would not use one but being a gentleman he would of course hold it for her and pressumably he would also see she impled, from the sheer size of the umbrella to keep him dry also. "To the orangery!" Mercy stepped out into the rain sightly ahead of him, she wondered what his next move would be, but if he followed, as it seemed he must, he would find a table in the orangery which Mercy had "had laid out" well that would be the response if Dimitri were to ask, in truth she had indulged in some minor work before bumping into Baroness Taylor earlier. It was Mercy's turn to wait for seconds that turned to minutes in her mind. Would he see? Would he understand the slight romantic edge she had put on the evening? Or would he, as a man, continue in his slight oblivousness to the way women around him were working... However if he chose to turn her down now... simply because he realised and was scared or offended then this was over, their entire relationship, cordial friendship or more, would be finished...

((FurryPanda is Larkin still free? because Charmaine hasn't done anything really since her talk with Dimitri and i dont want to start neglecting her already...

I'd apologise for insulting the male gender but from my calculations I'm the only one here soooo....... yeah no need!))
Scholar
#186 Old 10th May 2008 at 12:20 AM
Default Octavien, Bella, Joséphine and César - Journey to the Opera and at the Opera House
An undoubted sense of relief filled the air when César caved in and agreed to the opera outing after brief deliberation. It seemed he had not the fervour for music that the other three thrived on. Yet, somehow, César appeared to find something else that appealed to him about the opera. Bella somehow decided it was nothing to do with the opera itself.

Finally, the servants, sent to fetch their coats, rearrived and the four found themselves ready for their outing. Both men played their parts to perfection, offering their arms to the women they accompanied as they all walked down the stairs to the courtyard. However, as the stood out in the courtyard, Bella watched as the grand royal loomed closer. She wasn't aware of any new royals arriving and as far as everyone knew, the King was still in the palace. It was an intriguing matter as to who the carriage held and what their purpose was.

The doors finally opened and to Bella's surprise, no-one ventured out of the carriage. It was a wonderment for a moment that the carriage had simply rolled into the courtyard, carrying no-one and therefore, for no apparent reason. That was when it struck Bella in almost an instant; it wasn’t delivering someone, it was picking them up. Still, there was no-one waiting out in the courtyard except César, Joséphine, Octavien and Bella herself.

She could feel the movement as Octavien naturally began to walk towards the carriage, while her arm was still entangled with his. Bella’s eyes flicked to his in a moment of realisation, her mouth must have dropped open slightly, but she could not be sure. The carriage had not been summoned by César or Joséphine and certainly not by Bella and therefore, by default, it left Octavien who had – and was obviously capable of – using the royal carriage.

Octavien. Octavien Lehance. Not Monsieur, Prince Octavien Lehance. Of course. She could have sworn the name of the knighted Prince was Silvius…? Well, obviously not, since the King had no sons and the only male member of the royal family fitting Octavien’s profile was the Prince.

God, Bella, she thought sarcastically to herself in light of her stupidity. Well done. Really. You’ve excelled yourself this time.

Of course Bella was right in thinking he was withholding something in the ballroom; he was the Prince. Worse, she had never caught on, she had simply carried on being herself and wandered dangerously close to actually trusting him. And all along, he was indulging in his little game of deception, probably silently laughing at her.

Bella had thought he was genuine. For once, someone unlike all the other members of court, that he was like her, laidback and capable of real human interaction without hidden agendas and dirty little secrets. But no. Not this time.

Still, she refused to believe she had been completely wrong about him. His countenance, passion, words and being had been so convincing, so unfeigned. It could not have all been an act, surely. She knew the look of disappointment and betrayal had seeped into her eyes, but with it was surely the look of intrigue, knowing he had reason lie.

It had not been a malicious lie. It had not been a lie, in fact, just a brief omission of truth. Why? She could not think of a reason to excuse him, simply that she was not about to accept defeat if he had set out to humiliate her by playing childish games.

Still, all through the journey to the Opera house, Bella kept her conversation mainly with the pleasant Marquise, limiting her interaction with Octavien until he had had a chance to explain himself, but remaining curteous nonetheless. She wasn’t angry, she had no reason to get angry about it; it was his identity, he could avoid it for a while if he wanted to. Still, she just wanted to know why. And perhaps in the place of anger was disappointment, that he had not felt ready to trust her over such a simple matter while she had been honestly herself with him. Would she really have behaved differently with him if she’d known he was the Knighted Prince? Probably.

But now, he was Octavien. She could not see the Prince in him, he was Octavien. Prince Octavien. Octavien, the man whose friendship would be sore thing to miss indeed, or the deceptive Prince Octavien? Bella hoped he was being himself in the ballroom and it wasn’t simply an act - that was a man she really formed a connection with. She knew she could forgive that man for his mild deception, but she needed a damn good explanation for it.

Therefore, as soon as they reached the opera house, Bella decided to give him an opportunity to give him – and herself – and opportunity to clear the air before the they had to take their seats.

“Would you excuse me for a moment?” she smiled amiably at César and Joséphine, leaving an open glance at Octavien, letting him know that he had the opportunity to speak in case he felt unable to do so in the presence of his friends. “I would just like to get some air before the show begins.”

With that, Bella walked slowly towards the open veranda, knowing they had all of five minutes before they had to take their seats and hoping Octavien took the hint and followed.

(OOC: I hope that's all okay, Atropa and Ghanima. Feel free to add anything because I didn't say much about what happened. If you'd like anything changed, please let me know )

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#187 Old 10th May 2008 at 2:08 PM
Default Octavien & Bella with and then without Joséphine and César - at the Opera
(((ooc: Seiza - Ooooooh, Dimitri better watch it now! Last one to be a gentleman towards Mercy ended up having his life threatened. Though something tells me Mercy wouldn't dare threaten him. But then again, she did threaten the Prince... Hmmmmm.... *s* Oh, and that reminds me; by doing so, she pretty much commited high treason, didn't she? Death threats and attempted murder on the King (and his family) was considered high treason and thus punishable by death? Watch out, Mercy.

Fayre - *lol* Seems appropriate indeed.

And, can I just say I find it hillarious how it's César that's the rascal, but Octavien that keeps getting in trouble with the ladies?

Oh, and one more thing, just to clarify; when I said please don't shoot Octavien in the back over going to the opera, I did mean just the going to the opera part. Meaning, being seen at the opera with a young woman when he's technically engaged to be married with another, was not part of the "Octavien doing nothing wrong" part. )))

The reaction of the young Baroness upon discovering who exactly it was that was escorting her towards the royal carriage, was a natural one. Having awaited it with calm but tense anticipation, Octavien had been hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst; offense, shouting, even slapping. For while one might reason that no one in their right mind would go as far as to slap the Prince - unless, of course, one happened to be Queen Isabella - Octavien had learned from experience that the reactions of women would sometimes tend to be somewhat... less than rational. Indeed, he had been slapped for far less than this.

He was relieved to learn, however, that while the string of emotions that were claiming Bella's pleasant features ranged from speechless realization to offense, to anger, to hurt, to silent disappointment, and thus were not among the ones he had been hoping for, they remained only hints of what he had been dreading. They were there, but did not manifest themselves in any actions other than that of for the most part silently ignoring him during the near hour long drive into the city. Instead she kept her words and actions mostly directed at Joséphine, which left Octavien and César to partake in another session of their usual but friendly bickering, sandwiched by more or less serious accounts from César regarding what was going on 'back home', thusly making the lack of interaction between Octavien and Bella less noticable, even if it wasn't completely so. The other couple might still have picked up on it, but if they did, they had the kind decency not to show it. And frankly, in César's case, Octavien doubted he had noticed at all. Joséphine, with her keen eyes and sharp mind, not to mention that remarkable sixth sense women seemed to have, called 'female intuition', probably had, but her husband? Doubtful. César had intentionally dulled his senses (on the surface at least) to whenever women were less than happy with him, which was why he was, on some level, still 'unaware' that Joséphine was in fact aware of his extramarital liaisons.
But then again, that dullness was usually only in effect when it came to César himself. If a woman was somehow displeased with Octavien, there was a good chance he would still bother to notice, if for no other reason than to give Octavien a hard time about it.
Still, if he did notice, he had yet to make it known, and frankly, Octavien was thankful as well as relieved as long as he didn't, for it would surely have made things awkward.

Though at the same time, Octavien really wished for an opportunity to explain himself to Bella, as all he had managed to do so far without drawing the attention of the de la Valliére's, was to offer her a small, apologetic smile, asking her not to be too angry with him, as he had meant no harm.
And much to his relief, it would seem that she noticed, and properly interpreted it, for as soon as the four of them had stepped out of the carriage and were making their way to the grand entrance of the Opera, Bella turned to the rest of them, graciously providing Octavien with a golden opportunity;

"Would you excuse me for a moment?" she said with a friendly smile for the other couple, and gave Octavien a glance he could not fail to recognize. "I would just like to get some air before the show begins."

Had it not been for Joséphine's swift intervention, César - who, judging by the now mischievous look in his eyes, had indeed noticed what was going on - might have ruined the whole thing, as he opened his mouth, clearly about to agree that they might all need a little fresh air after being cooped up in the carriage for an hour. Luckily, Joséphine knew him well enough to see it coming, and - bless her - spoke before her troublemaker of a husband could, cutting him off from any and all roads towards playfully embarrassing the other two.

For that, Octavien shot her a thankful smile and then followed Bella, though only after giving a brief "Please excuse me as well, a gentleman does not abandon his lady", just for the sake of appearances. Due to her slow, casual pace, it took him but a mere few long strides to catch up with her, and they entered the open veranda together, side by side.

"I owe you an explanation", Octavien stated the obvious while they were still both looking straight ahead, but then stopped as they reached the sturdy stone railing, and turned to face her. "It was not my intention to decieve you, Baroness. It was just that when you did not recognize my name, I did not want to humiliate you by pointing it out, even though I am aware that it is still far from known by all. I just found it so very liberating that you were among the ones that had yet to learn of it."

He paused briefly, his eyes dropping momentarily to the smooth stoney surface underneath his hand while he considered how he should continue, as he had not yet given her a reasonable explanation. Only a part of one.

"Odd and ungrateful as it may sound", he finally continued, and raised his gaze to meet with hers once more, "at the moment I am simply sick and tired of being what I am, because it was just made clear to me this morning that I am indeed a 'what', and not a 'who'; that my true loyalty matters little, as even though I have been most willing to give it, it has to still be taken and demanded as though I was not willing to give it at all."

(((ooc: Ghanima - Hope it's ok that I gm'ed Jo just a little bit. If not, let me know, and yaddi yaddi yadda. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#188 Old 10th May 2008 at 4:05 PM
Default Octavien and Bella - The Veranda of the Opera House
(OOC: Fay, I think Dimitri left Charmaine with Christine, so I thought you'd like to pick up the conversation with her. But if you'd rather I continued the conversation or if you wanted have Charmaine leave and talk to Larkin, please let me know, I'm fine with it either way

Atropa, it's because he's such a gentleman, he can't seem to weedle out of things the way César can!
Okey dokey, I've had Bella accept things after a small implosion, and left it open in case Octavien had anything further to say on the matter. And also, feel free to get them back and start the opera perfomance etc. )

Bella was relieved to learn that Octavien had taken her blatant hints and followed her to the veranda. However, but the quickening of her heart, she knew it wasn’t all relief, was he just about to play out the end of his elaborate trick? There was no way to tell, save for the apologetic smiles he’d given her for the past hour. That was not working as well as he had probably hoped, that was for sure.

The choking sensation at the back of her throat only seemed to get worse as his form fell by her side, making it suddenly harder to remain under control. Maybe she was partly angry after all, he had inanely deceived her. And for what? Well, this was Octavien’s chance to explain to Bella exactly what he had been thinking. It was a good thing her upbringing had comprised of practices of prolonged self-control; she dreaded to think what she could have done had she had little control over herself.

"I owe you an explanation,” Octavien made the most obvious statement in the history of conversation as the walked towards the grand stone railings.

Really, now? Bella thought to herself as they reached the railings, letting her hands grip the stone to vent her frustrations. Whatever it is, just say it and get it over with. It was very funny, well done.

Bella could feel his eyes on her, but refused to return is gaze, simply staring into the view displayed out in front of her, but ready to listen.
"It was not my intention to deceive you, Baroness. It was just that when you did not recognize my name, I did not want to humiliate you by pointing it out, even though I am aware that it is still far from known by all.”

Alright, no need to point out the fact that I am severely misinformed, Bella silently thought to herself, giving a small scoff.

“I just found it so very liberating that you were among the ones that had yet to learn of it," Octavien continued and there it was again, the realness that was so severely lack in court. Yet, the man who’d shown her briefly that courtiers were in fact, contrary to common belief, capable of such honesty, was standing here explaining and apologising for his deception. Ironic, to say the least. However, the simple admission made her turn to him, to see whether his countenance matched his words, whether he was deceiving her yet again. Bella did not want that to be the case, she wanted Octavien to be honest, this time at least. It would just be utterly ridiculous if he’d insisted on continuing that charade because that charade was far more appealing than what the illusory Prince was likely to be.

As Bella’s gaze wandered softly over him, Octavien stared intently at the stone railings, making her realise that he had more to say, more to explain. She simply waited patiently, letting him have the opportunity that she had set out to give him.

"Odd and ungrateful as it may sound,” Octavien resumed his vindication, his eyes suddenly gazing into Bella’s own. If anything, the look held sincerity. But then, it held far more than that. It had hurt and realisation. “At the moment I am simply sick and tired of being what I am, because it was just made clear to me this morning that I am indeed a 'what', and not a 'who'; that my true loyalty matters little, as even though I have been most willing to give it, it has to still be taken and demanded as though I was not willing to give it at all."

“I thought you were like me,” Bella found herself suddenly saying. Her eyes widened slightly as it took her a moment to realise that she had actually said it, making her look away momentarily. But after she had started, there was no point in not continuing. “I was honest with you, no secret agendas, simply because I thought you a kindred spirit, exasperated with these continual games and power struggles and capable of genuineness.”

She knew he knew better than to assume that anyone he met was just an innocent and Bella expected no less of the Prince. Yet, he must surely know it gets to a person. During all her time at Queen Catherine's court, Bella had been abruptly exposed to the treacherous nature of court, suddenly forced to lie and scheme in order to survive rather than advance. She expected no less in Octavien's case. It was a fate they had all resigned to and with no shame. It did not make them bad people as such, just realistic. Perhaps Bella had lost that realism that she'd strived to earn at the English court when she took a chance with Octavien despite her inner advisor?

Bella dropped her gaze from his eyes and onto the stone floor to compose herself. Then it struck her; he was trapped. The Princess was gone and he’d become a commodity. Oh, God, that was awful. To be used in negotiations and pushed around like a pawn. Bella’s eyes flicked back up to him, seeping a look of apologetic understanding, having been harsh on him and then finally appreciating his plight. Worse yet, his wife had just passed away. Now, she just felt guilty. For all the problems with her father, Bella had her own rightful stance in society; the birthright of being a Baroness. Octavien's only claim to his title lay six feet under. Of course he felt threatened.

“I – I’m sorry,” she found herself stuttering initially, looking into his eyes as conflicting thoughts wildly flew through her mind. The strength in her voice had diminished somehow, letting it drop to almost a whisper, delicate and tender in nature. “We should go back.”

Bella began to walk back to the doors and found herself thinking, was Octavien right in thinking she would have treated him differently if she had known who he was? Probably; royalty always demanded respect. On shaky ground or not, Octavien still had his title. Except Octavien had not, in fact, he’d gone as far as to not mention it at all when he could have easily put her to shame by correcting her in the first instance. He had not done that. Therefore, would Bella have treated Octavien differently if she had somehow understood his situation to begin with?

No. Her problem was not with Octavien himself, Bella realised. She liked him, she enjoyed his company. It was that – minute – deception. And after all, it wasn't as if she was likely to meet anyone who wasn't guilty of a little deception. His lies had done no real harm. He had not lied about who he was, simply what he was. And Bella knew, given her family history, that titles come and go with the wind. And Octavien, possessing perhaps one of the most respectable titles in the country, had passed up the opportunity to assert it’s importance. That deserved respect, indeed.

Bella then found herself turning to Octavien slightly as she smiled understandingly to herself. It was a smile that held empathy, forgiveness, warmth and promise all at once. She did not feel sorry for him, however. He was smart, otherwise he would not have lasted this long. Sympathy was wasted on a man who could handle himself.

"I'm sorry about before, I didn't mean to...," it became her turn to apologise as Bella looked into his eyes, ready to admit that everyone made mistakes. She was composed once again.
"I'll be honest,” she began, promising. It brought out a small laugh of amusement from her, looking down at herself; she had been honest all along anyway. “I don't care much for social restrictions. I mean, there is a time and a place for it, but not always. From what I gathered back at the hall and now, you are the same?"
Bella then moved to make a bold confession. Octavien could think what he liked of it, after all, he had decieved her to begin with. It wasn't entirely her fault she still knew him as the man she thought he was.
"I liked what I saw in you then, a charming young man – stranger, nonetheless – and I liked what I was; myself.”
"I suppose neither of us are still what we introduced ourselves as; you are not Monsieur Lehance and I am no longer Baroness Devine....,” she revealed and proceeded to explain by making it somewhat buoyant; “I bought myself a title.” She gave another small laugh with an impish shrug, more at herself for the ridiculousness of the situation, and then turned her eyes back to Octavien as seriousness joined the amiability she exuded. “…but I hope you remain the same gentleman I interrupted in that ballroom."

It was an invitation. She had not been completely wrong about him and his conduct did little to suggest any malice. Furthermore, here she was, alone in a new court and she could do with friends or amicable acquaintances at least; who better than someone whom she'd already begun to get along with? She would be careful, it was not like Bella to throw caution to the wind. Still, she could not just give up on the compelling Octavien because of his error in judgement. He had had the same suspicions as her; he had simply acted on them.

Alchemist
#189 Old 11th May 2008 at 12:09 PM
Joséphine, César + Octavien and Bella - the Opera House

Following several glum and tense days at the Palace of Light and Air, Joséphine was at last enjoying one of the better times she'd had in a long time. Morning and afternoon had gone by already, leaving her head full of pleasant memories, though somewhat dimmed by the anticipation of an excursion beyond the Palace boundaries, to the prestigious Opera House situated in the neighbouring town. And not just anyhow: her husband and one of their closest friends joined her, as well as a young Baroness who already promised to be a pleasant companion.

Smiles, laughter and conversation followed the two couples along as they descended into the Palace Main hall, pausing briefly in the garden while the Royal carriage was being manoeuvred into the proper position to admit them inside. Joséphine followed its approach keenly, a rather pleased grin stealing across her face, already picturing themselves arriving at the Opera, a jewel among all the other carriages.

César graciously assisted her along the narrow steps, and during the momentary exchanges of arms and hands, Joséphine's gaze fell dead on Bella's features and lingered there an instant longer, surprised to find them devoid of the joy that had been there only moments earlier.

During their journey, it became even more apparent that something, something recent, was the cause for the Baroness' sudden change of demeanour. Although a pleasant smile found its way on her lips once again as she launched a conversation with Joséphine, there was a certain stiffness in the way she sat, as well as a faint distracted tone in her voice, suggesting her mind was preoccupied by something else.

As they chatted casually, the Marquise's peripheral awareness hunted for clues as to the reason for this unexpected shift in Bella's mood. Before long, as he was seated next to her and opposite Joséphine, she noted Octavien's own subdued gaze, and the decidedly downwards curve of his lips that lifted whenever César approached him with one of his playful jests or comments, only to sink once more when silence fell. Adding to that the obvious lack of interaction between him and Bella, Joséphine drew the most likely conclusion: that some sort of rift had been torn between the two, for some yet unfathomable reason.

Knowing that an Opera was perhaps not the ideal place to sort out differences, the Marquise was relieved when Bella promptly fashioned her own opportunity to do so by heading off to the veranda in search of “fresh air”, casting one brief, telltale glance Octavien's way. Joséphine, who had been pleased to see them so comfortable in eachother's company before, hoped the few minutes before the performance commenced would offer enough time to resolve whatever issue there was between them. Unfortunately, for a brief, heart-racing instant, César decided to leave his apparently oblivious stance and intervene, not in the most beneficial way. Luckily, Joséphine had been watching him at the time and was able to notice her husband's eyes smoulder with pure mischief as he stepped forth, one arm arching upwards in what appeared to be the beginning of a halting gesture.

“Come along, César, let's find our seats before that entire crowd begins to queue at the entrance” Joséphine intervened, nodding towards the constant flow of elegant, bejewelled men and women which slowly filled the foyer . One of her hand searched for her husband's, hoping he would not insist going after Octavien and the Baroness. César was anything but dim, but he sometimes allowed his prankster self to get the better of him. While that sometimes had an amusing result, it was obvious that what the Prince and Baroness needed was privacy.

Much to Joséphine's relief, César conceded and they both turned away, climbing the winding marble stairs towards one of the four doors that lead into the concert hall. A short while later, after navigating the narrow aisles leading to their four reserved seats in one of the centric balconies, the Marquis and Marquise sat down and awaited the beginning of the performance. Already, the orchestra was in place, tuning their instruments, adding to the general hubbub.

“Forgive my small diversion, mon cher” Joséphine murmured in César's ear and smiled, knowing her husband would no doubt be aware of it. She hoped he would understand her reasons however.

ETA ooc so it doesn't clog the thread:

Atropa - no problem, please take your time

Alissa - Aw thank you All in a day's work for Jo, lol! Though when César gets into one of his prankster moods...oh boy! :einstein ))

Scholar
#190 Old 11th May 2008 at 2:35 PM
(OOC: No problem at all, its stuff worth waiting for Honestly, both of you guys are awesome writers!
Ghanima, , poor Jo, she's got the task of keeping Cesar in check, that can't be easy seeing as she's always got to be one step ahead of him!)

Original Poster
#191 Old 12th May 2008 at 6:54 AM
((Dear people so sorry for disappearing into a cloud of smoke, i will almost certainly have something up tonight but at the moment I need to get through the Unification of Germany and Organic Chemistry.

Again Sorry!

Fay))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#192 Old 12th May 2008 at 1:28 PM
Default César and Joséphine - royal balcony / Octavien and Bella - returning to C & J
(((ooc: Man, except for the opera gang, this place is really quiet... But anyway, I decided to edit in César and Jo before Octavien and Bella, to make the timeline somewhat correct.)))

On their arrival at court, César had had a bit of trouble conforming to the idea that Octavien, previously untitled and often made aware of it be César himself, was now the Prince, thus and for once outranking César by far. It had been quite the blow to César's ego, to have to bow down to a man who had been given several more or less playful gibes over the years. Although, César being César, he had found a way to deal with it, without choking on his pride in the process; by using humor and giving a bow so exaggerated for being him that those that knew him would be aware that it was part in jest, while others, whose opinion César didn't really care about, would think that he was just being obsequious. Problem of appearing proper solved, dignity and self-esteem intact.

Now, however, César would be quite willing to admit, that being one of the Prince's best friends had some real advantages. For if one was to be dragged off to the Opera, there really was no better way than to be taken there by the royal carriage; lavish beauty and such luxurious comfort that it put even the Mont-de-Marsan carriage to shame. Furthermore, it also ensured that everyone in sight witnessed the arrival at the Opera house, and made the news spread like wildfire, so that in minutes, those that had not been anywhere near the carriage on it's arrival, knew when it had pulled up outside, how it had pulled up outside, who had gotten out, in what order they had gotten out, and what they had been wearing. If there was a way more ideal to make an entrance, César had yet to learn of it.

Together, the four of them had started moving towards the entrance, some of them apparently more aware of the turning heads than others, and it wasn't long before the pretty Baroness that Octavien had brought excused herself from their company, shooting Octavien a glance in the process that could only mean she wished for him to accompany her on her little venture away from them. Either to sort out the possible differences César thought he had sensed between them - though for the life of him, he couldn't figure out when and where they had arisen, as the two seemed to have been perfectly friendly when he and Joséphine had first encountered them - or, and this made far more sense to César, the Baroness simply wished to enjoy Octavien's "company" for a moment's privacy.

And again, César being César, he couldn't resist the opportunity to tease, and so opened his mouth to have some semi-subtle hint come out. Only to be gently yet firmly cut off by his darling wife, who, apparently, didn't deem the opportunity quite right for teasing.

"Come along, César", she said, one hand running down her husband's lower arm until it found his hand, thus successfully bringing his attention from the other couple to herself. "Let's find our seats before that entire crowd begins to queue at the entrance."

With that, the right moment had passed, as the distraction had allowed Octavien and Bella enough time to move too far away for César to manage a smooth interception. And so he willingly resigned instead, and he and Joséphine started following the general flow of people up the grand marble stairs.

"Forgive my small diversion, mon cher", Joséphine whispered with a smile once they were seated and she had leant close enough for her lips to almost brush against César's ear, immediately drawing a smile from him as well.

Partly because of the tickling sensation of her breath against his ear and neck, and partly because no matter if she used it to spoil his own plans for mischief, he still very much appreciated her talent for countering his moves, simply because it was part of what kept their relationship interesting, with an ever present element of excitement and unpredictability. He so enjoyed the playful bickering and battle of the minds that it would bring.

"I'll think about it", he replied, and shot her an impish glance as though he was still deciding whether or not she was in trouble.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The evening had not gone as intended. It had started out with alot of promise, with Gilles more or less kicking Octavien out of the suite where he seemed to have spent the majority of his time lately, and Octavien deciding it was indeed time he took charge of things again, and made something happen instead of having everything happen to him. It had only been a mere few days since he had lost his grip, his decisive touch, but taking back control still felt long overdue. A night at the Opera in the company of good and trustworthy friends had seemed like an ideal place to start, with an added element of freshness in the form of a new acquaintance invited along as well.

Well, talk about an idea that backfired. Instead of getting away from the drama of court, which had been part of his reason for seeking entertainment outside of Palace grounds in the first place, he had ended up right back in the middle of more drama, caused by a deed meant to prevent it. How very ironic.

Self-inflicted, yes, he was aware of that, but still very much unintentional. He had only wanted a moment to breathe, and at that point had not known that the encounter with the Baroness would turn into more than just that; an encounter, a brief one-time meeting with what had appeared to be a new arrival at court. Nor had he known then that he had been just minutes away from actually appreciating her company, let alone that he would end up inviting her to accompany him and his friends to the opera.
And in all fairness, he hadn't even really lied to her. What he had done, was to fail to mention that "monsieur" would not be considered the proper way of addressing him, in a situation where he preferred to not be properly addressed. He couldn't very well have informed her that he was none other than the Prince, and then expected her to treat him as though he was an equal, could he? Even when asked to call their superiors by their first name, people in inferior positions would often find it hard to do so, leaving said superior to have to resort to near orders just to have their wish granted.
Such turn of events would hardly have been ideal for a budding friendship. And the same could be said about the fact that very few treated royalty according to their own opinions of the people holding the titles, but instead let their actions be guided by their fear and respect for the titles themselves.

Indeed, had Octavien revealed to the Baroness Devine that he was the Prince, he would have instantly turned back into the 'what' he had tried to escape in the first place, and he would probably not have gotten to see the natural, free-spirited side of her that had intrigued him and appealed to him enough to invite her along; her, a stranger he encountered during a time in his life where he held more doubt and suspicion in his heart towards everyone, than ever before. Chances were they would have ended up merely going their seperate was as soon as they had left the Grand Ballroom, destined to remain nothing more than strangers.

It appeared, however, that the Baroness herself viewed things quite differently.

"I thought you were like me," she said, almost as soon as he fell silent, making it sound as though she had been so focused on seizing her next opportunity to speak, that she had missed most of what he had actually said.

The statement shot from her lips so fast that she even seemed surprised by it herself. Or had the change from equal to subject taken effect, and made her horrified at discovering that she had just spoken so accusingly at the Prince?
No... Maybe not, considering that despite that somewhat shocked look in her eyes, the apparent realization of just what it was that she had said, and in what tone she had said it, she kept going;

"I was honest with you, no secret agendas, simply because I thought you a kindred spirit, exasperated with these continual games and power struggles and capable of genuineness."

Octavien opened his mouth to protest, wanting to explain that was exactly why he had withheld his title from her; because with it came expectations and firmer rules of conduct than was the norm between two ordinary courtiers. The conversation would have been tainted by those rules, those crippling rules, the spontaneity ruined, torn apart simply because people tended to not be themselves around royalty, always thinking twice about what they said and did, censoring certain opinions and exaggerating others, as a way of kissing up to those that held the power to make or break them.

Yet he remained silent, realizing that while to him, saying it would not be a way to try and justify his actions, but merely explain the reasons behind them, to Bella it might sound like excuses. Therefore, he closed his mouth again, to ponder what he could possibly say instead, to better make her understand.
But, as it turned out, she was not yet done;

"I – I'm sorry," she suddenly stuttered.

Octavien wished it was a statement that would have taken him by surprise, but it wasn't. It was exactly what he had expected, and the last thing he had wanted. Here came The Change, finally. A few seconds later than anticipated, but still The Change. It colored her words as well as her demeanor, even her voice, as now it was little more than a whisper when she spoke;

"We should go back."

The last shred of what had made them equals, gone. Now, he was the Prince, she was a Baroness, and the two of them were worlds apart.

Abiding by her own words, Bella turned and started walking back towards the grand entrance, once again intent on leading the way it seemed. But this time, Octavien did not follow immediately. Instead he lingered, leaning tiredly against the stone railing on both arms and giving a defeated sigh, once again feeling the full burden on his shoulders, and for the first time, during an ever so brief moment, regretting that he had ever put honor before happiness, and married Adalita. If he hadn't, his life would have been far less complicated, and far more enjoyable. He might even have left court to find himself temporary accommodations nearby wherever it was the Queen was heading to, and stayed there in secret so that they would not have to limit themselves to letters that would have to be kept somewhat platonic in their tone, in case they would end up in the hands of someone far too nosey.
It wasn't as though the departure of a Baron, or a Comte, would have left anyone wondering anyway, whereas if the Prince left, most everyone would know to where he'd gone.

And yet, he was not about to give up his title. Not in this lifetime. He had come to court to make a name for himself, to earn a title, and with it, power and influence. For while his family was both wealthy and respected, those that held no titles tended to achieve only a very limited amount of influence, and like most young men, Octavien had wanted more. And he had achieved it. He had risen even higher than anyone, even he himself would have ever thought possible, and he was not about to give it up just because things were no longer going exactly his way. The twists and turns of fate were many, and if a passage turned out to be far too long and straight, there were other routes to be found. Or created.

That thought in mind, he straightened his back and turned to follow Bella inside, ready to play the part of Prince once again, if that was truly how she intended to treat him from now on. Apparently, she hadn't noticed that he hadn't been as quick to follow as before, but as she had maintained her slow, elegant stride, it didn't take him much longer to catch up with her than last time.

However, just as he was nearing her, she suddenly did turn to look at him, and much to his surprise, what he saw in her eyes and on her lips, was not the stiff mask of simple but impersonal cordiality, but something far more similar to what he had seen earlier, in the Ballroom; sincerity and warmth, along with... understanding? As though she had suddenly realized what had gone on inside his head and his heart when he had withheld the truth from her, without him having to say a single word, or even getting the chance to.

"I'm sorry about before", she said. "I didn't mean to... I'll be honest. I don't care much for social restrictions. I mean, there is a time and a place for it, but not always. From what I gathered back at the hall and now, you are the same?"

It sounded like a question, yet Octavien had only the chance to give slight nod before she continued;

"I liked what I saw in you then, a charming young man – stranger, nonetheless – and I liked what I was; myself. I suppose neither of us are still what we introduced ourselves as; you are not Monsieur Lahance and I am no longer Baroness Devine..."

At that, Octavien raised his eyebrows in silent question of such a statement - after all, as far as he knew, for a few more seconds, she was still a Baroness - but was soon given the answer when she explanatively added;

"I bought myself a title", she said, and then gave a soft chuckle along with a shrug, before finishing; "... but I hope you remain the same gentleman I interrupted in that ballroom."

They had now entered the magnificent building and as they begun climbing the stairs towards the upper level, Octavien once again offered his arm to Bella, so that she might support herself, should her many layers of skirts cause her any problems in doing so gracefully. In the meantime, however, he remained quiet, taking good time saying anything. But whether it was because he was reflecting on her words, carefully choosing his own, or merely waiting until the few people that along with himself and Bella were still roaming the halls, had moved out of earshot, was impossible to tell. Considering the nature of the conversation and how it had been going so far, it was likely that the reason was all of the above.
Not until they stopped outside the doors to the royal balcony, now without any of the other guests even remotely close enough to hear, did he speak, raising his hand slightly to stall the footmen by the doors from opening them.

"In the ballroom", he started, and turned to fully face Bella so that if she chose to look at him, there would be no shadows or angles to obscure the expression on his face, "... I was the 'who' I desire to be, and not the 'what' I have been made into."

Deciding those words spoke for themselves, and sufficently covered what needed to be said, he then gestured for the two footmen to open the doors, and with a gentle sweeping motion invited Bella to be the first of them to enter and join César and Joséphine.

"Ah, there you are", said César, sitting casually and comfortably slumped in his chair, looking as though he was just about ready to put his feet up on the ornamented and gilded wood railing infront of him, and tilted his head back to look at the two of them. "We were beginning to wonder if we were to suffer through this without you."

At that, Octavien simply gave a faint but amused smile, knowing that while opera wasn't one of César's favorite things, he didn't really think it as bad as he made it out to be.
Still keeping his hand to Bella's disposal, he remained standing until she had sat down, and only then did he sit himself.

"What are we seeing, anyway?" César asked from the opposite side of the balcony, stealing Joséphine's hand away from the armrest on which it had been gingerly placed, and bringing it to his lips in a sudden, impulsive sign of affection.

"'Isis'", Octavien replied, smiling to himself at the thought of seeing yet another product of the mind of his favorite composer. "By Lully."

"Ah", said César, managing with that simple word to come across as though it actually told him something, and at the same time, sounding completely clueless.

(((ooc: Hope this gives you guys something to reply to? I intentionally left a gap between César's last line before the other two enter, in case Ghanima wants Jo to have the chance to say or do something first. And if you guys want to add something somewhere in there, go right on ahead.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#193 Old 12th May 2008 at 7:28 PM
(((OOC: I'd post something but ME is kind of just sitting around being moody and eating dinner Everyone's kind of involved in their own other things right now. And sorry if this is spammy Fayre, just didn't want anyone to think I was purposely being non active. I am working on something for when morning comes if that's worth anything.)))

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Alchemist
#194 Old 12th May 2008 at 11:47 PM
César, Joséphine, Octavien and Bella - the Opera

Joséphine knew that, if not careful, she risked instigating César's mischievous streak with her attempt – and a successful one for the moment at least– to foil whichever plan was forming inside that cunning mind of his. Usually, she would rather leave him to it, watch him get his satisfaction from the result of his game or, not uncommonly, find herself on the opposing side of it. That time however, intuition warned against it: there was something tense in the air surrounding Octavien and Baroness Devine, something that convinced her that they really needed a moment alone. Knowing César a little, he probably interpreted their desire for privacy as something...different.

And he was not about to give up that easily.

"I'll think about it", he replied thoughtfully to her earlier comment, curving his lips into a sly smile, to which Joséphine gave a look of feigned concern, followed quickly by a smile of her own:

“You will thank me later”, she whispered and retrieved a finely decorated fan from inside her coat, its foremost edge barely covering a less than innocent smirk. All around them, sound was dying out as the spectators were preparing themselves for the beginning of the show. Isis, by Lully, Joséphine recalled reading down in the foyer.

“If they do not hurry, they will miss the first act” she said, craning her neck towards the nearest doors for any sign of Octavien and Bella.

Fortunately, not a minute later they both made their way inside and approached the balcony arm in arm. Behind her fluttering fan, Joséphine's eyes keenly searched their features, thinking they both looked far more content than before. Perhaps that was the end of that, after all, although curiosity begged the question of what exactly had been the matter.

A few more comments were exchanged, César as usual appearing to be oblivious when he truly wasn't, while scooping up Joséphine's hand and bestowing a swift kiss on her knuckles. The Marquise shot him a brief smile before lights were extinguished and the first musical accords replaced the silence. On stage, costumed performers emerged from behind the raised curtains, lending their voices to the harmony.

For the following hour or so, Joséphine's attention was dedicated to the musical display before her, paying little attention to her other surroundings: a spectacle such as the Opera always brought her in a sort of a trance, where everything else was a distraction. One could not truly enjoy the music if they were preoccupied by other matters.

At last, with a final tour de force, singers and orchestra alike sounded the last note and the entire audience exploded in a flurry of vigorous applause. Joséphine, too, clapped her tiny hands together with genuine admiration – the performance had been most pleasant. Not the best she had ever seen, no, but a most excellent effort.

A little while later, as the two couples descended the marble staircases into the gilded foyer, discussing details of the performance they had just seen, the question of supper arose. After all, neither César nor Joséphine had eaten and both felt famished, and as it turned out, Octavien and Bella were in the same situation.

“Perhaps we can arrange something together?” Joséphine suggested, glancing from one face to another.

((ooc: Sorry, kind of rushed. I hope this works for everyone, including what I said about their conversation? Let me know if not, I wanted to move things forward a little faster, even if we have to move on to morning and mention dinner in their later posts))

Field Researcher
#195 Old 13th May 2008 at 4:02 AM
Default Dimitri & Mercy - Orangery
((Fayre: Thanks for being so patient with me! T_T *tackle-hugs* Finally got settled down at home, so even if I wrestle for the PC with my bro, I should be on more frequently now!))

______

Instead of her arm, the Baroness handed him… an umbrella.

In the moment he had taken to stare at the item in dumbfounded silence, she was far ahead. With his hands full, Dimitri could not stop her with anything but words. He only called once; he would not be so witless as to call constantly. If she did not hear him now, it meant that she chose not to—and Mercy certainly was choosing not to. As amusing as it would be to stop at the west wing and force her to return, it seemed he had a much deeper patience… or tolerance… or something… with women—because he followed. And, he supposed, as Mercy ignored the main entrance to take a path through the palace, he was curious too.

Then she walked straight into the rain, and he was aghast. They were at one of the palace’s back exits: the orangery hid behind a misty curtain further west, in front of treetops barely bent under the light rain. Done with following from behind, Dimitri opened her umbrella and caught the Baroness in a few strides. He wished to reprimand her for such recklessness—her dress was not exactly prime clothing for gallivanting in such weather—but Mercy looked so knowledgeable, so aware that she was walking uncloaked through night rain and squelching mud, that he only grumbled noncommittally.

By the time they reached the orangery, he had removed his navy cloak with one hand and draped it over the Baroness’ shoulders.

Most of their walk had been in silence since they left the west wing, but it had been a congenial silence tinged with her mischief and his exasperation. Upon laying eyes on the table in the midst of candlelight and flowers, a new silence fell over them: it laid itself over their heads and shoulders, longer and thicker and heavier. She was not looking at him, yet he could still feel the expectation for a reaction—not “breathless anticipation” or anything like that; such phrases did not fit people like him or people like her—but she was waiting for… something.

So was he. But when no answer willingly threw itself into his lap, Dimitri realised he would have to find his own.

He led the Baroness to the table. Seated her. Most of the dampness was in his coat; so he removed that from her shoulders too, folding it over an empty chair. He stood behind her. Just a moment. Her hair was lightly sprinkled by the rain. It glistened against the candlelight. He sat down before her.

His tone was exceedingly gentle. “This is… very kind of you, Baroness. It must have taken quite a while to prepare.”

He would not say that she shouldn’t have gone to such trouble, because she did, and it looked splendid, and he would not patronise her so. But despite being on land, the ocean floor was pulled from him, and his eyes latched on to anything—anything but hers; there was a half-finished flower arrangement behind her that would do—to keep him afloat.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#196 Old 13th May 2008 at 4:26 AM
(((ooc: Ghanima - I thought they WERE at the Paris Opera? It's never been mentioned officially, but for the past two threads, the court has appeared (to me at least) much like the French one. Not that it matters a whole lot, but... yeah.... )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Original Poster
#197 Old 13th May 2008 at 6:55 AM
((I suppose technically yes Atropa my darling Mercy DID. But I hardly think either of us is planning on letting the King know

Seiza amazing... but I shall return this eveing and do everything I should have done already as then i have a day and a half until my next exam.

And just a quick question evening should have ended a LONG time ago... but I don't mind as long as nobody else does. Let me know!

Fayre))
Scholar
#198 Old 13th May 2008 at 8:15 AM
Default Octavien, Bella, Joséphine and Joséphine - Famished at the Opera
Bella and Octavien had returned to César and Joséphine just in time to witness the beginning of the performances. The thick, lush curtain finally rose, revealing an array of performers to add to the orchestra, each of them bestowed with immense talent. As time progressed, quickly, yet enough to savour each moment and each note, the melodies became more pronounced, gathering more momentum and feeling.

"In the ballroom,” Octavien had said before they entered the balcony, turning to face her fully as if he wished to hold no screens over his expression. "... I was the 'who' I desire to be, and not the 'what' I have been made into."

Bella had had no words to respond to that, simply an acknowledging smile. Her ease and comfort in Octavien’s company had been present at the beginning of the evening, but then faltered when she had realised who he was. Now, given explanation, it had returned with renewed fervour. However, all that flew through her mind in a space of a few moments before the opera fully delved into itself. Through the performances, Bella was far too enthralled to even steal a moment away from arduously watching the stage, almost tasting every tone. She knew she must have looked like a mesmerised child, but she had little time to worry about that.

As the performances ended, Bella found herself at one with the daze, clapping in appreciation of the pure delight it had brought her. Octavien had been right, it was inexplicable and Bella secretly wondered what her guardians had been doing all those years, depriving her of the opera. She turned her head to witness Joséphine in the same sort of thrall, glad to know she wasn’t the only one addicted to the passions of music, smiling uncontrollably at the flushing charisma of it all.

In fact, Bella’s dedication had been so pronounced that she had not realised that she had not eaten until the Joséphine had the considerateness to ask, revealing that she herself, and César found themselves in the same predicament. Bella soon discovered that Octavien was no exception to the group, making it a good point to consider their next options.

“Perhaps we can arrange something together?” Joséphine proposed, her pleasant features arranged in question, looking at each of them in turn.

“That is a splendid idea,” Bella conceded heartily, coming to a standstill in the foyer and then turned to the men with an encouraging look. Joséphine had come up with the idea to have a meal together, Bella had no idea where to go and it was Octavien and César’s turn for input. “Any ideas? It is getting quite late.”

((OOC: sorry for the shortness and crapness of that!)

Alchemist
#199 Old 13th May 2008 at 10:20 AM
((ooc: Actually, I had no idea where exactly they are, in relation to real life places, but I guess it does make sense I edited it out.))

Scholar
#200 Old 13th May 2008 at 12:12 PM
((OOC: Aw, poor baby! *offers comfort cookie* Take all the time you need. I really should be working *is guilty*
Fay, when you said Mercy had made herself immune, you did mean that she'd done so by keeping everyone's secrets and not just because she's one of the integral characters, right?))

Slytherin-girl - Are you still in the Red Salon? Christine and Charmaine are also up there, I think? So you can have ME join them? Or Fay, if you've already had Charmaine leave to talk to Larkin, I can have Christine meet ME? Or everyone can meet everyone? FurryPanda, where's Larkin at the moment?

Page 8 of 12