Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 23rd Sep 2007 at 8:47 PM
One person can submit several entries, yes - however no-one can have two entries marked Exceptional in the same challenge.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 23rd Sep 2007 at 10:47 PM
Oh. I was under the impression it was one entry per person as well. Did the rules change or am I just clueless?

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
#53 Old 23rd Sep 2007 at 11:20 PM
That's good news, in case my thing doesn't get uploaded. I can allways do something....

Everything I do, All Glory will GO TO GOD! All the praises Goes to the Lord on High!
I don't want to gain the whole world and loose my Soul!
MOAVGproductions Youtube channel, subscribe to it!
MOAVGproductions blog/site
Official Facebook page, like it!
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 24th Sep 2007 at 6:55 AM
Question: For the old Hollywood Sims submission, are we allowed to submit a Sim that we've already uploaded to ModTheSims2 or is that a no-no?

I'm happy because there's a Sim of Sandrine Holt for The Sims 2.
Instructor
#55 Old 24th Sep 2007 at 10:19 PM
Some ideas for creators of old Hollywood...Greta Garbo, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplain, Laurel & Hardy, Lana Turner (the sweater girl), Faye Ray (King Kong - still the best version), John Wayne (slightly more mod), Elvis (could be possible), Steve McQueen, Laurence Olivier...I could go on but I won't. I personally can't wait to see what the talent on this site will come up with as long as it isn't a million Marilyn Monroe clones, lol.
Thank you,
Zen

www.crystalgecko.co.uk

Never wake a sleeping Dragon...for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Field Researcher
#56 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 1:29 AM
when is the due date for the challenge???

DOEreoh
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#57 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 1:40 AM
DOEreoh its October 15 - I think thats just been added to the frontpage post =) And I say thank god - I have a lot to submit that is 1/4 done. I stupidly installed BV and of course mega crashes ensued - so I uninstalled everything and reinstalled from the base game up - this time only until Seasons where I was at before. Seasons WAS running fine for me but now of course it too is crashing like the proverbial %$#$%. Did I mention that I detest the crappy way EP's go together in this game....Did I also mention I went through the same friggen problems with TS1...I may also mention that the code monkeys at EA are obviously paid in peanuts and it shows in their work - or lack of it.

Add to that my cable connection is capped at *slow as an old mole* speed for another week and you will realise that I am currently VERY ANGRY!!!!! /endrant

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenFrog76
Some ideas for creators of old Hollywood...Greta Garbo, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplain, Laurel & Hardy, Lana Turner (the sweater girl), Faye Ray (King Kong - still the best version), John Wayne (slightly more mod), Elvis (could be possible), Steve McQueen, Laurence Olivier...I could go on but I won't. I personally can't wait to see what the talent on this site will come up with as long as it isn't a million Marilyn Monroe clones, lol.
Thank you,
Zen

Well, there's already an Elvis and a John Wayne (an a couple of Marilyn Monroes I came across). I myself tried to do Steve McQueen not too long ago, but I realized that trying to capture his likeness was too difficult for me (so I ended up doing James Dean instead).

Instructor
#59 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 4:30 AM
I will have to look out for those...not so fussed at Marilyn Monroe personally but it could really depend on someones view of "classic Hollywood". I would like to have a go at one but I am not that great and can't create meshes or other content. I can recolour hair (sometimes) but that is about it, lol.
What about some of the horror greats, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price or would that be too modern?
Hmmm, got me thinking now...
Zen

www.crystalgecko.co.uk

Never wake a sleeping Dragon...for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 9:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenFrog76
I will have to look out for those...not so fussed at Marilyn Monroe personally but it could really depend on someones view of "classic Hollywood". I would like to have a go at one but I am not that great and can't create meshes or other content. I can recolour hair (sometimes) but that is about it, lol.
What about some of the horror greats, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price or would that be too modern?
Hmmm, got me thinking now...
Zen

Those are great examples, ZenFrog. They're not too modern, but fall under classic Hollywood.

Here's some I can think of right off the top of my head:
James Stewart (Known for his roles in "Flight of the Phoenix", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and his many roles in Alfred Hitchcock's works including "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (the remake in the 1950s, not the 1930s version), "Vertigo", "Rope" and "Rear Window").
Orson Welles (known for being the voice of "War of the Worlds", but is equally known as the writer, director and lead actor of the classic "Citizen Kane")
Buster Keaton (I'm sorry if this one has already been brought up, but I've seen one film that he's credited to "Sherlock, Jr.")
Rita Hayworth (I haven't seen a lot of her work myself)
Kim Novak (James Stewart's co-star in "Vertigo")
Bette Davis (the actress who inspired the 1980s pop hit, "Bette Davis Eyes")
Gregory Peck (of "To Kill a Mockingbird" fame)

Field Researcher
#61 Old 25th Sep 2007 at 3:49 PM
as i cannot enter this round of contest althought I want to very much, but I am not at my sims modding computer so, i think maybe i can give some suggestion that if i were to make a full sims for the contest i would choose:

Charlie Chaplin (silent movie)
Gone With the Wind (civil war, so far there no one who has made a very beautiful Tara and twelve oaks)
Greta Garbo
Lauren Bacall
Lucille Ball
Mickey Mouse < i think he's around 80 years old, could count as old hollywood i think.
Frankenstein and his Bride (bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff)
Marlon Brando
Katherine Hepburn (
Audrey Hepburn (Breakfast at tiffany)
West Side Story (musical with natalie wood)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Bonnie and Clyde

check out http://imdb.com/ for some inspirations.

Marjorie Dawes: Dust. Anybody? No? High in fat, low in fat? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust.
Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. Anybody? No? Dust. It's actually very low in fat. You can have as much dust as you like.
Sims Love to Run with Scissors, Simmers Love to Download.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 6:45 PM
what am i missing with bon voge mine is orded a couple of days ago now so pm me what it is like please

funney250 i makes homes for request so just ask
Test Subject
#63 Old 26th Sep 2007 at 7:25 PM
Congratulations, winners! I wish I'll be a winner in future I'm here, and I want to do some donates when I'll learn the RULES clearly :p
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 5:48 AM
OK, I misspoke earlier... My frusteration got the better of me and when that happens... OK, I'm bipolar and have other severe mental disorders and so I'm not capable of controling what I say sometimes.. That doesn't meen that others don't, though. I think the trophy by the avatar is a bad idea cause couldn't someone photoshop it so that it looks like they won when they didn't? And in the future, there will probably be alot more contests... This meens more winners! So, because of that, that meens more idols and cheaters as well, does it not? Therefore, the only change I would say is by the name... I appoligize for my rude and hateful comments earlier about the hard working true house/community lot-making masters earlier. All entrants were good, I even playtested all the work for quality. It all was good. I'm sorry again and I hope my appology is accepted.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 5:50 AM
BTW, Bonnie and Clyde aren't exactly Old Hollywood... try evil bandits that rampaged the Mid-west with Browing Automatic Machineguns.. But they were dramatic. It would be good but too unfactual for me to think of as a winner. Actors that played them would be good though.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#66 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 2:51 PM
We didn't actually get a cool little icon next to our name. The only place it appears is on our profile page in a separate little section. See my avatar? I was an ancients winner, but you'd only know it by going to my page. I was kinda hoping they'd do something similar to the Moomoo Awards, those winners got icons, but they didn't. They prolly figured they'd be alot of us and quickly.
Theorist
#67 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 2:29 AM
Default An Undocumented Change
Quote: Originally posted by Paleoanth
Oh. I was under the impression it was one entry per person as well. Did the rules change or am I just clueless?
Yes, the rules must have changed, but unfortunately the rules page has not been updated:
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Remember that you can only submit one entry - so if you chose to make a set, upload it all in one go.... ENTER the challenge for the month ONCE.
For the last challenge I noticed that almost everyone only made one entry.

It is a little frustrating to find out about this change at this point, because my last upload - although trivial - should have logically gone in the Old Hollywood section rather than the general. I did not upload it there since I am working on a larger project and didn't want to spoil my chances for making a successful entry. Oh well, life's like that!
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 3:13 AM
Oh yes! Yay! I have holidays until Oct. 15 exactly...now to get to work.

See my art here.
Theorist
#69 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 5:32 PM
No Indication of Winner Status
I think an important detail needs to be worked out for the Creator Challenges, besides the need for the documentation to be updated (and I never did receive an answer as to what year "Old Hollywood" ends). Although Phaenoh was the well-deserved winner of "The Ancients", there is absolutely no indication of this when you go to her winning entry, The Parthenon. I would suggest that either a special icon needs to be created to indicate the winning entry (or perhaps the top five entries), and/or the winning entry should be accorded Featured status. Considering that these are contests in which the community puts forward its best efforts, and that the winner has been judged "the best of the best", it seems to me that being Featured is completely appropriate.
Test Subject
#70 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 9:33 PM Last edited by jaynaemiller : 29th Sep 2007 at 9:58 PM. Reason: Grammatical and Another Suggestion
Default RE: Old Hollywood
If I had any talent outside of writing, I'd be all over Old Hollywood--my specialty. HINT: Guys (Ruddy Valentino, Gary Cooper, Jimmy Steward, Fatty Arbuckle, Fred Astaire, Cary Grant, James Dean, Marlon Brando, Charlie Chaplin, Errol Flynn, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Paul Robeson, Mickey Rooney, Andy McDowell, Charleston Heston--to name a few) and Girls (Jean Harlow, Bette Davis, Judy Garland, Veronica Lake, Jane Russell, Marlene Dietrich, Joan Crawford, Dorothy Dandridge, Alice Faye, Rita Hayworth (a personal favorite), Lucille Ball, Butterfly McQueen, Betty Grable, Carole Landis, Eva Gardner, Elizabeth Taylor, Hedy Lamarr, Baby Peggy (the first Shirley Temple), Shirley Temple, Grace Kelly, Janet Gaynor, Lana Turner, Lena Horne, Viven Leigh--to name a few.) BUT, if anyone wants any ideas about the Very Golden Era, I am the one--my Master's in History has to be good for something. I am a Old Classic Hollywood nut, so if anyone wants to know something, feel free to ask. I wish everyone luck entering the old Hollywood comps!

I am still attempting to learn how to get my graphics on clothes because a lot would be cool (a lot of Bob Marley, Rastafari and ethnic stuff).

ALSO: As far as those people who do buildings, I lived in Hollywood "forever", it seems and a LOT of the town has maintained its old "glamour structures"--in fact, the studio bungalows are still standing and a lot of them are rentable so if you go to like Westside Rentals or any site devoted to Old Hollywood architecture (which technically usually is devoted to 19th Century Old Spanish Hacienda styles and a few "Modern Grecian Roman" gardens, you can get an idea from there.

Hope this was helpful. :lovestruc Love this site!
retired moderator
#71 Old 29th Sep 2007 at 10:26 PM
Not to be 'tooting my own horn' but I agree with Sophie-David. I was kinda disappointed when after getting picked for top three, still wasn't discernible from other creators or their creations. I think the five who made the short list should get a special little icon next to their name, or have their entry featured or something else. We went though all that effort on our projects, they were deemed special, but we are still virtual nobodies. Just seemed a little disheartening.

Thanks for listening, and no matter what, I'm still glad that I entered, and will continue to enter future contests...working on my Hollywood one now!
Test Subject
#72 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 1:19 AM
Congrats to all of you winners!, it was amazing and all you deserved to win.
Im gona try to make somthing to the old hollywood, but first i must have an idea, well i think i have one now. :P
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#73 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 1:36 AM
Hi all!

I'm not running the contests, but some quick thoughts:
At the moment we're not rejecting multiple entries for the set, because it's nice to have a lot of content in to challenge set. (That is, of course, not an invitation to spam the forum with a bunch of threads with one wallpaper each or anything!) Ideally though, we'd like to see people spend their time on a really nice single item or small set, rather than enter several items, and the shortlisted selections will generally reflect that. The goal is to try for quality rather than quantity. As the rules are still settling down, we're sorry about any confusion.

Regarding automatically featuring winners; I don't think that would be such a good idea. Items in the challenge sections are not immune to featured status - if we find something feature-worthy in there, then it can be featured. I agree that it would be nice for winning threads to be marked as such, and we'll probably throw it around in the moderators forum to figure out the best way to do that, but it most likely won't be automatically featuring. Allow me to explain my reasoning.

Everything posted in the challenge has almost certainly been produced in under a month. Probably only a couple of weeks in most cases, allowing for thinking time. That means two things. First, that people who do not have months and months to work on a project can participate when otherwise they might not bother, which is great, but second, that it's much less likely that many works will reach that "holy cow that's stunning must feature now" status which normally ends up on downloads which have been in the works for several months.

Now, say we were to get a contest where not many people enter. We would still produce a shortlist and allow for voting, but if there are not many entries then the quality of the winners may not be quite as grand as in a contest where many people enter. If the winners of that got automatically featured without meeting the other featuring requirements, it would devalue the other featured artist's work.

That doesn't mean that I'm averse to marking the winning threads as winning threads though!

Sophie-David - if you'd like, we can move other downloads released during the contest timeline into the contest forums, just PM one of the moderators in that download forum and let them know.
retired moderator
#74 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 1:55 AM
I'm all for a separate little icon that is just 'contest winner shortlist' or what not. That way its not being directly compared to the featured uploads (understood the reasoning behind not auto-featuring them and I agree with it, i'm still working on getting my own little featured trophy icon, but i don't think any of my things deserve that yet anyways). Maybe the icon could be a plumbob with rings around it, like say, the trophy that the top three get perhaps?
Instructor
#75 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 2:06 AM
Hey! I never got a PM for my participation trophy! Cough it up!

*the above was meant in a joking manner and was in no way actually demanding of anything from anyone who has more important things to do.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Page 3 of 4