Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 1:00 AM
Default sims 3 on windows 8?
hello everyone!

i'm currently using windows 8 and i don't know if sims 3 will work on it.
i read somewhere that i can do it by changing the compatibility mode but the problem is that i don't know if my laptop can carry sims 3 without any problems.

i'm using acer aspire e1-531-f12c/f

i also took a screenshot of the system information, in case someone needs it.

please help me :'(

ps. please tell me if this thread is not allowed here or if i posted it on a wrong topic. thanks!
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 1:30 AM
I'm pretty sure TS3 works for windows 8. TS2, however..
Scholar
#3 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 1:30 AM
You should have posted it on the Helpp forum, but answering your question: Sims 3 works just fine on Windows 8. Your problem is your RAM, you may have spikes of lag while playing it with too many expansions or CC.
One Minute Ninja'd
#4 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 2:11 AM
It's a pretty basic laptop, with a slowish processor, only 2 GB RAM (is that really correct??), and integrated Intel graphics, which never performs well with the Sims. In addition, the integrated graphics uses system memory for VRAM space, so you're even more limited with only 2 GB installed. Win 8 shouldn't be a problem, but running a 64 bit OS on a machine with only 2 GB RAM isn't doing you any favors. At a minimum, add more RAM. Even then, that laptop is not going to be a powerhouse for TS3 and a bunch of EPs (although your screen resolution is only 1366X768, but still).
Instructor
#5 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 9:24 AM
You can't expect to Sims 3 work great on your laptop cuz you have 2GB RAM and intel graphics card
you can install but you have to play without expansions and without stuff pack and without any CC or Store Content or you will have lag
Inventor
#6 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 9:40 AM
As others said, you're not using a dedicated graphics card but rather an onboard chipset which are rubbish for gaming as they're generally not designed with gaming in mind, further more with 2 gigs of ram you'd be hurting even playing Sims 2.

Maybe look for a cheap desktop instead?

p.s. Also, have a look at the help section: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ims_3_Game_Help

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 2:31 PM
oh.. that's sad but what do i need to do? upgrade my ram to? how about the graphics/video card? how about the ts3? how to know if i have ts3 or ts2?

i'm so sorry for asking a lot it's just that i'm new to this and i don't know much anything about it.

i appreciate all the replies. thank you so much!

oh! thank you also for giving the link to the help section
Theorist
#8 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 2:46 PM
TS3 runs on my Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 very well. Of course, it's a desktop not a laptop. I don't use laptops - never owned one so I don't know how games run on that machine. Sorry if this didn't help.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Forum Resident
#9 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 3:34 PM
If the laptop has integrated graphics, you're pretty much SOL when it comes to upgrades. Integrated means that it's built into the processor, so you'd have to replace the processor if you want to replace the graphics card. Depending on your computer's components, you may or may not be able to upgrade the RAM. You'll have to look into that yourself. I'm familiar with Acer laptops here in America and yours would be on the cheaper end of the spectrum being it's only 2 GB. My guess is that any upgrades you do to your system will probably cost you more than you paid for the laptop itself. Hard lesson learned: Next time, be aware of the specs you'd need in order to play your favorite games and save up some money for a suitable system so you won't run into this problem again. Your Sims 3 experience on your current laptop will be very limited with those specs!

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#10 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 5:11 PM
I have a Windows 8, it's just I haven't updated to the 8.1 yet, but it works! You can put mods etc. !!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 12:51 AM
i guess i can't really play using this laptop. i didn't know anything about this because i just won this in a contest in japan but anyway, thank you for all the replies. i learned something new.

btw where can i find my ts3w?
Alchemist
#12 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pikachan
btw where can i find my ts3w?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe
Instructor
#13 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 10:16 PM
I have Fujitsu laptop with 6GB RAM. It has Intel graphics and Windows 8 and my game work just amazingly. I also have three expansion packs installed. My other laptop has 2GB RAM and Intel graphics ans Windows Vista and it works too, though not as smoothly. Especially the loading and little lagging here and there, but still work with two expansion packs. I guess I'm just little lucky there.
Scholar
#14 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 10:53 PM
If you have a vanilla game it should work more or less normally, but Sims 3 is very consuming when it comes to expansions and custom content.
Theorist
#15 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 3:10 PM
TS3 base game actually plays fine on my Asus T100 tablet which has 2GB RAM and an Intel Atom quad core processor. I loaded the default Sunset Valley and played the Working Friends household (4 sims) and Roomies (5 sims) just to see how badly it would lag, and it really wasn't bad. I normally play on a desktop, but tried it on my tablet just out of curiosity. It's not designed for multitouch so I have to use the little controls on the GUI to rotate and zoom, and panning requires touching and holding first, but at least it's playable (many other games can't be played with touch at all).

It's not possible to multitask though. Once I had something else running in the background and Windows popped up a dialog that it was running low on RAM. I'm sure if I installed any expansions, it would eat even more RAM and make the game unplayable.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 25th Apr 2014 at 6:56 PM
It runs perfectly on my windows 8
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 6:22 PM
It does run well on Windows 8 but for me it lags a bit (might be my PC though).