Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 4:26 PM
Default Pantry Talk
I've heard some player put pantries in or near their kitchens.
So, how do you make a pantry?
What does your pantry consist of?

I suppose a 2-tile closet with a refrigerator inside could be a pantry, or maybe with shelves inside.
I don't know which shelves can hold a shopping basket, or fruit from a fruit tree, or vegetables. I know all those could be put in a second fridge though.

How do you build your pantries?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 5:06 PM
Some people call fridges, or fridge-like objects pantries I think. I can't say I've ever built a pantry per se though I would use those wooden shelves that came with OFB?? I think - you know the one and two tile ones. Without going in game and taking a picture, I'll try this one: I used them a lot when I was making cards for Moghughson's postal system
https://thumbs2.modthesims.info/img/...ndshipCards.jpg

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 6:43 PM
A pantry is rather old-fashioned nowadays, they were used to keep food cold when fridges were not so common. I think I would just make a small room and pop a fridge in it and with shelves on the wall too

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Theorist
#4 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 7:03 PM
For me, in rl, a pantry is walk in closet of sorts where we keep our canned food, box items, and the like. When I was growin up we had a large cupboard that we called the pantry.

If you dl'ed deco food boxes and such you could put those items 'in the pantry'.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 8:29 PM
When I was a kid, my grandmother had a pantry which was a walk-in (sort of - rather low) cupboard under the stairs with a door in from the kitchen (the stairs backed onto the kitchen). I was the coolest part of the house. There was no window but there was a small opening to the outside with a fly mesh over it and a similar one in the door. It was dark in there with long shelves along one wall. The milk, cream, butter and eggs were in there and probably cooked and raw meats (bottom shelf) too (though they wouldn't be kept for long).

We also had a pantry in our own house before the advent of a fridge. It was simpler and not a particularly separate space. It consisted of marble shelves set into the ceiling of the stairs going down to the cellar (basement?) IYSWIM. Also cool. We used to open the cellar door and lean over the steps to get stuff or go down a couple of steps.

Basically, the main component seems to have been keeping stuff out of the light (and warmth).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 9:54 PM
Not exactly a pantry per se, but usually if a building I'm working on has a little space left to associate with the kitchen, I'll turn it into a walk-in wine cellar, mostly with the wall-mounted wine rack, and usually a few nectar or juice bars, and maybe a granite countertop with a stone sink in it. I figure any house that needs more than one room for food preparation is wealthy enough to afford hundreds of fine wines!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 12:09 AM
I know what the old style pantries were, from before we had refrigerators. That's not what I wanted to ask about.
I'm talking about modern pantries, the kind that simply store groceries.

That stupid-looking nectar bar in a pantry makes sense. Do you know if it still works if you moveobject a wine rack above it?

The OFB shelves Maxon pictured uptopic - if 2 or 3 of those were put on the same wall segment using Ctrl+Alt, will they all stay functional?
what about that 3-shelf glass shelf? Can that hold a grocery basket, fruit or vegetables?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I know what the old style pantries were, from before we had refrigerators. That's not what I wanted to ask about.
I'm talking about modern pantries, the kind that simply store groceries.

That stupid-looking nectar bar in a pantry makes sense. Do you know if it still works if you moveobject a wine rack above it?

The OFB shelves Maxon pictured uptopic - if 2 or 3 of those were put on the same wall segment using Ctrl+Alt, will they all stay functional?
what about that 3-shelf glass shelf? Can that hold a grocery basket, fruit or vegetables?

Yes, the nectar bar does work with a wine rack above it- despite sticking out from the wall almost a full 1/2 tile, that object doesn't take up any more "space" than the thinnest poster- it's treated pretty much like any other wall-mounted item.
The OFB shelves also still hold items even when you have multiple ones on the same wall segment, though it does make placing items in the spot on the shelf you want a bit trickier- it may be easier to use move_objects and just have the shelf float in midair while you decorate it, and then move the whole thing up to the wall.
Can't speak for the BV glass shelf though, since I virtually never use it, but I have a hunch that none will hold o grocery basket (though fruits and veggies might be another matter)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 1:28 AM
A pantry over here is simply a cupboard where you store things like cereal boxes, tinned and packaged type foods. I decorated one for one of the decorating contests on here last year. I added shelves and used downloaded items on the shelves. It was purely for decoration. In one house I have uploaded here, Marbury Manor I had 2 tile deep, 1 tile wide pantries with a fridge in each one. In rl I would not put a fridge into a panty as it might overheat.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Yes, the nectar bar does work with a wine rack above it- despite sticking out from the wall almost a full 1/2 tile, that object doesn't take up any more "space" than the thinnest poster- it's treated pretty much like any other wall-mounted item.

Yeah, I just tested it.

Doesn't look too bad; I might actually end up putting this into a house, although probably not in a small room like that. And it doesn't even need moveobjects on to place the wine rack.
First time I've ever had a Sim interact with the nectar bar and what's strange is that after they "Serve" 4 drinks, they only drink one of them and put the others underneath. That's on free will.

Quote:
Can't speak for the BV glass shelf though, since I virtually never use it, but I have a hunch that none will hold o grocery basket (though fruits and veggies might be another matter)

I tested the glass shelf and the OFB shelves and you're right, they can't hold grocery baskets. I couldn't test fruits or veggies because I had none.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 8th Mar 2015 at 4:39 AM
I already have that set up in the same Marbury Manor I mentioned above. https://www.modthesims.info/d/499887 See picture. Did people think that caused issues?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~