Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 8:41 PM
Just one. I have the same machine that I bought in 2003. It has been upgraded many times and I am getting ready to upgrade it again. It's hard to find old parts. I won't get a new one because I don't want to change my operating system because from what I understand, you can't play Sims 2 on the newer operating systems without jumping through hoops of fire. Also, I don't think they make 32 bit processors anymore. 64 bit processors are useless to Sims 2. The other 32 bits are useless, I mean. Therefore, I will continue to use duct tape and chewing gum to hold my dino machine and XP together so that I can play my beloved Sims 2. That's pretty much the only purpose for which I use that computer. Everything else is accomplished on my tablet or phone. I'm no longer a student so I don't need the PC for schoolwork anymore.

Sweet! I'm a Lab Assistant!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 9:33 PM
One! A little Packard Bell netbook that I use with a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor as a desktop replacement. I came to The Sims 2 quite late, towards the end of 2012. By that time I'd had my netbook for about a year and a half. It was bought as a business computer and is actually the highest spec computer I've ever had. I increased the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB, the maximum it would take, and for development purposes it's permanently running the SQL Server database engine in the background, an application that typically runs on enterprise servers. Back then I was decidedly sniffy about computer games, and I still would never call myself a gamer -- only a Simmer. But then one day, I saw a cheap copy of Double Deluxe in my local supermarket, and wondered if it would run on my computer. I had seen Sims videos on youtube, and was vaguely aware of Sims 2 CC, because I'd sometimes got MTS and Insimenator results when doing Real Life Google searches. So I bought Double Deluxe, read the little manual from cover to cover, messed about in Body Shop for a few days, and finally loaded the game -- and by the time I reached lunch time on the first day in Andrew and Gloria's little house, I was completely hooked -- both on The Sims 2 and on Andrew and Gloria! When I came to MTS, there was some doubt expressed about running TS2 on a netbook, with an integrated graphics chip, but I was already too addicted to give up. Eventually it turned out that I was ok as long as I didn't go beyond the OFB game engine -- evidently burnt-out graphics chips started with Pets. (iCad played with a all EPs on a netbook for a while, but hers was effectively a "throw away" computer, whereas I needed mine for business.) I always play The Sims (2) on my Dell monitor, which was bought second hand. I've never even tried to play on my netbook's built-in display.

Like esmeiolanthe I name my computers, only mine seem to be named after ancient Greeks. A few years ago I worked for a firm that had two servers named Pericles and Bart. When I got my own small computer (at that time called a sub-notebook) to attach to their network I named it Homer, as that was the only name I could think of with a connection both to Pericles (orator and politician in ancient Athens) and Bart [Simpson]. Since then I have named my computers after ancient Greeks. My desktop which used to be my main computer is named Bellerophon after a character in Homer's Iliad, and the netbook on which I now play The Sims 2 is called Ajax. I've had various PCs since I started computing in 1991, but Ajax is the only one strong enough to run TS2. My first PC, a Commodore PC 10, is still working, although it now has a 40MB hard disk as well as the 2 floppy drives it was made with. It works fine with the 1980s DOS software it was designed for, and looks just a bit like a Moneywell!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 12:59 AM
Umm, good question - probably three or four? (I'm not even sure)
Scholar
#29 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:42 AM
2 desktops and 1 laptop.

The laptop i'm currently playing on is a HP Pavilion. It's not bad (8 GB RAM) and it has an dedicated graphic card (Nvidia GeForce 840M). I'm not playing on highest settings as i don't want to fry it. My game is heavily modded xD'
The first desktop was also my first computer which i get in 2004 for The Sims 2. Base Game worked great back then. With the EPs it lagged but not too much.
The second desktop which is currently at my parents house runs the game just fine. It is a Windows XP machine with 3 GB RAM. I do not use it that much, just when i'm at my parents home (which is 800 kilometers away.)
Alchemist
#30 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:20 AM
About 4.

- Dad bought a new computer for my birthday in 2005. Yay! The Sims 2 is finally playable!
- Mom bought a nice laptop we had permission to play The Sims 2 on in about 2006.
- Bought my own laptop in 2009
- Bought my own PC in 2013
Mad Poster
#31 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:26 AM Last edited by gazania : 3rd Oct 2015 at 2:39 AM.
Hmmmm ... depends on what you mean by computer.

I have never replaced my computer per se since 2006. However, I've replaced everything in the case (and the case itself) at least once, so that's not exactly an easy question.

I think for me, video cards would be a better gauge. I've been through at least three of them. One lasted only about a year. This game isn't exactly the gentlest on video cards.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 1:23 PM
Lol, Diavonlestatt, we also have a computer graveyard... the storage space my son's bed XD I finally got fed up of random parts littering our bedroom. I think we have three carcasses currently. I seem to fry my way through power supplies with this game rather than graphics cards. When we lived in the UK we had about four in a cupboard. It drives me mad because DH says he is keeping them as spares in case we need them, but by the time we need something, they are too outdated to work -_-

It's great getting the cast offs from the gaming company, though. We get monitors, too. Paid something like €30 for three PCs and two monitors. It means even the six year old has his own computer :P

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#33 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I have never replaced my computer per se since 2006. However, I've replaced everything at least once, so that's not exactly an easy question.

That reminds me of that idea that the cells in your body get replaced over time and that you're not the same person you were 10 years ago.

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I think for me, video cards would be a better gauge. I've been through at least three of them. One lasted only about a year. This game isn't exactly the gentlest on video cards.

Yeah me too - I think I must have had at least 6. Just about to buy a new one for The Behemoth 2.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Helptato
#34 Old 29th Sep 2015 at 2:29 PM
Ohhh I love this thread! I have a story and a half to tell too:

The Sims is what taught me computer hardware. Mainly because I was always pining to upgrade my cpu or ram or my graphics card.

The first PC I ever installed TS2 on was a Emachines hand-me-down. Bless it, it tried its hardest, but with only 512mb ram and a crappy video card to go with it I wasn't exactly running all the EPs & SPs. Eventually it started to clap out, and I stopped playing for fear of breaking the poor thing completely

Second up was a Compaq, a Presario. Also a hand me down. But it ran the Sims amazingly compared to my previous pc and I was amazed! Graphics on high! More SPs! A reasonable frame rate! I loved that thing. It was the first PC I named after gemstones- Emerald. But I started getting interested in upgrading a bit, and brought..

My current PC! Named Sapphire and so much more powerful then my first PC, I love her to bits. She runs a lot of games so well, didn't cost me a fortune, and most importantly, was MY own PC brought with MY money.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Scholar
#35 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 11:50 PM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 3rd Oct 2015 at 12:05 AM.
Second computer.

Computer 1 was three years into its time with me when I got Sims 1. I remember being so disappointed when I spend two hours installing it to get "Not Enough Memory" message. 8 megabytes of RAM and 10 minutes' work by my computer engineer dad later, my new favourite game started working. So the first Sims-related upgrade happened before I'd even reached the intro video! The computer got regular upgrades (including a replacement of most of its internals after the Great Overheating Incident of 2005) until about 2008, when everyone in my house decided their computers were happily capable of running any game we wanted to play. For our family, 2004 was the last year of great games being released (and not just because that was when Sims 2 came out). Even now, the only newer games I have on there are Bejeweled 2 and Civilization IV, and the latter is very rarely played. I still have it as a backup machine.

Computer 2 became necessary because of the internet gradually exceeding my previous computer's capacity to use it. Also, the old one has XP on it, which isn't generally considered a smart choice for internet use these days for security reasons. It took me 4 months to get a machine I was happy with, but I do like my shiny dual-core Windows 7-equipped machine. Wonder if I'll still be using it in 16 years' time (the length of time my previous computer served as my main machine)?

(I also have Sims 3 Mobile on my iPaq, but that hardly counts...)

Edit: Computer 2's never been upgraded - it's not even had its first birthday, and I insisted on testing each prospective PC by setting at least one thing on fire in TS2 before accepting it. Two rejected computers are at my parents' house doing various jobs because of this. I do not count those computers in my list because otherwise I'd also have to count the Meadowhall computer that had The Sims 3 demo on it, and to me that counts even less than my iPaq does.

Computer 1, on the other hand, had the following upgrades during its Sim career:

Memory: 4 times (started with 32 MB and ended with 1.5 GB)

Video card: 3 times (started with a Voodoo 2 and ended with a GeForce 6200)

Power supply: 1 time (thank you, Great Overheating Incident of 2005)

Processor: 3 times (started with an AMD 200 MMX, finished with an Athlon 1700+, with sidestep to Pentium II 450 in the middle)

Hard drives: 3 times (80 GB to 160 GB in one step, plus the backup drive failed twice. Amazingly, only once was the failed drive including The
Sims 2 affected, and that time there was enough warning to do a full replacement to the replacement drive before it failed a month after first
failure signs were detected)

Monitor: 3 times (started with a 20" CRT and ended with a 19" flatscreen)

Case: 1 time

Mice: 5 times (started with a cute ladybird-style ball mouse. The only thing I consider to have been forced to downgrade, because I much prefer
ball mice to optical)

The CD-Rom and keyboard have never been replaced in the Sims career (neither has the DVD drive that was added in 2003), and indeed the keyboard is from 1997, back when the processor was a 486 DX2-66. I've checked on eBay, and the keyboard, despite the lack of any box, is now worth about three times the rest of Computer 1 combined (and slightly more than Computer 2).
Alchemist
#36 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 1:32 AM Last edited by mdsb759 : 3rd Oct 2015 at 2:08 AM.
my first computer was a laptop. Sims2 was unplayable on it. but now it is un-useable at all; not related to any game/program.
had desktops/towers since then. all except my current one needed to be replaced (not related to any game/program). do not remember how many.

edit:: the operating system on all of these was/are XP. laptop, Home; desktops/towers, Pro.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 1:37 AM
Only 1 of the 10 computers that I have had Sims 2 on has died all the rest are still running with various Sims 2 and EP/SP installed.
All but for the 1st computer have been built by me, the first one was a Compaq with 475Mhz and 128 mb ram 8 Gb hard drive Windows 98SE upgraded with a 32mb Nvidia video card.

All 4 of the CRT's have died and I think I have had 7 LCD's now with 5 still working.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#38 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 9:20 AM
I think I've only had 2 computers through it all.
The first one was a Dell running Windows XP and the second one (current one) is a 2013 iMac.
I may be mistaken though, I was like 5 when The Sims 2 came out

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Test Subject
#39 Old 3rd Oct 2015 at 4:45 PM
3; an ancient windows XP pc, and for Sims 3, I got a laptop running vista. My current one is running windows 7, but now I'm aiming for a new laptop.

:D
Page 2 of 2