Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 8:29 AM
Default Sim's Law
I guess most people are familiar with Sod's Law (though not necessarily by that name), which basically decrees that life has a tendency to arrange itself so as to maximise inconvenience for everyone*. Sim's Law is, obviously, the sim equivalent - the way independent events tend to coincide to make life as awkward as possible for the sims involved (not to mention the simmer!).

I see this as subtly different to Pet Peeves, for which there is already a thread. Pet Peeves is about the way the game is coded, necessarily or otherwise, and how we wish the game could be more amenable to player desires. Sim's Law is about those things that are not programmed in. They just happen. For example:

The more desperately a sim needs the bathroom, the longer the maid will take to clean the house.

If a sim actually needs to get to the bathroom while the maid is on lot, it will be a race to see who gets there first.

If there's a close time margin between Daddy coming home just before ageing a baby up to toddler, Daddy will bring an unwanted colleague home with him. (Mummy can be just as guilty of this.)

When the family invite guests round for dinner, the one guest someone desperately wants to talk to will take the longest to finish their meal.

If everyone around the dinner table is assigned something to do after eating rather than clean up (which of course they would otherwise all try to do at once), the last one to finish eating will immediately go and do something - anything - other than clean up.

If you finally get the whole family together at the dinner table for the first time in ages, the phone will immediately ring.

Ditto when you finally get the only two sims in the house playing chess together.

The one neighbour you want to grab as they're walking by won't appear until everyone's at work.

After walking past every other house in the neighbourhood when there was someone at home.

The number of appliances, plumbing fixtures etc that will break in quick succession is directly proportional to how keenly the family wish to celebrate the birthday.

Cruising Downtown in search of someone to chat up will result in meeting lots of sims who are the wrong sex, wrong age, relatives or X-bolted.

Any more?

(*Sod's Law is sometimes confused with Murphy's Law, often summarised as "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Actually, Murphy's Law is a little subtler than that, better expressed as "If there's a phenomenally stupid way of doing something, sooner or later someone will do it that way.")
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 8:37 AM
Sods Law - Make an absolute perfect sim. Stunningly beautiful, family orientated, kind and charming like an upscale Cinderella - Every single eligible male sim in town decides to hide away or skip town. I can see this girl going in to aspiration failure and dying sad, childless and alone. Aint no fun doing club crawling every nght on your own.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by saturnian
If everyone around the dinner table is assigned something to do after eating rather than clean up (which of course they would otherwise all try to do at once), the last one to finish eating will immediately go and do something - anything - other than clean up.

Of course they will. You just said that you assigned everyone something to do other than clean up lol.
Instructor
#4 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 2:29 PM
When you create a great sim and then create their perfect mate in a separate household, no matter how hard you search you will never run into them. You might, but only after you marry someone else. Or you might meet them sooner but no matter what you do they will NOT like you, especially in a romantic way.

(When I saw this thread I thought it was going to be a dissection of the Sims politics and legal proceedings. I was slightly disappointed.)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 2:50 PM
Now, see, this is not how it works in my game. Yes, I have frustrating things - but I have far more serindipitous things. For every pair of sims I can't get together, a dozen others surprise and delight me by forming on their own hook. For the rest, I've got a teleporter cat.

Now, the tendency of townies to photobomb - that can be annoying. But the better I get at taking pictures the less of a problem it is. And some photobombs, as in real life, are hilarious.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 4:25 PM
Another: your Sim works extremely hard to gain enough skill points and friends for a promotion, while one of their family members brings someone home from work/school. Surprise, one of said friends is actually a friend of whichever family member they've brought home and even with the relationship boost that comes with it, somehow something bad happens and they fall out of friendship only Sim minutes before the well-deserving Sim comes home from work.

Followed by thinking to yourself "well, there's always tomorrow," only to notice the Sim has two days off in a row.

And a related one: A Sim takes a job because they need a job, gets promoted, ends up with several days off.
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 6:29 PM
How about I make the perfect couple, set their Turn On's for each other and they end up with medium bolts, then both meet other people that are triple and THOSE people's Turn On's do not match to them at all. Like WHY ARE YOU TRIPLE BOLTS?

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#8 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 7:02 PM
Chemistry is so much more than just turn on/offs. Not to mention many of them are broken and do not work, so what you think you are getting you might not be getting. Here is Cyjons comprehensive study of Sims 2 chemistry, what affects it and how. If you want to be sure to get a triple bolter, that's where you find the information.

General rule of thumb is that Sims like similarity. No opposites attract in Sims. When it comes to aspirations and personality, Sims like Sims who are the same (or very similar) to them. Nice people like nice people, and a knowledge Sim likes other knowledge Sims.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
#9 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 7:10 PM
Buys cake for toddler to grow up

Reaches 6.pm and toddler grows up anyway.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
General rule of thumb is that Sims like similarity. No opposites attract in Sims. When it comes to aspirations and personality, Sims like Sims who are the same (or very similar) to them. Nice people like nice people, and a knowledge Sim likes other knowledge Sims.

This is exactly the reason I put most of the Sims into the "Friend zone" (ACR). In a difference case I would need a divorce solicitor to handle the troubles in my 'hood.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
Buys cake for toddler to grow up

Reaches 6.pm and toddler grows up anyway.

My issue is getting the timing right. I get the cake and click on it so my sim can blow out the candles but halfway through waiting on everyone to get to the cake my sim ages up with candles left one the cake so my only option is to clean it up afterwards
Inventor
#12 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 10:21 PM
I have BO's aging mod which gives an option to turn off aging for individual sims. This feature gets abused quite a lot, as I'll turn off aging for a sim that has an upcoming birthday so I don't have to scramble to beat the clock. Of course, I then have to remember to turn it back on again...
Forum Resident
#13 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 1:37 AM
A CAS or just-graduated Sim has a career-related LTW. Guess which one job refuses to appear in both the newspaper and on the computer for DAYS.
Scholar
#14 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 1:42 AM
Cheat. Get the Sim Blender

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2