Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 10:42 AM
Looking to make a custom trait or two
Problem is, I don't even know where to start. What kind of work does it require (complex coding, or simple "cut-n-replace")? How to I access or put together the file required for it to work? Is it possible to access a default trait, duplicate it, and change it?

I've tried searching for this information, but I can't seem to find anything.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:40 AM
I found and opened up "Japanese Culture Trait" and "Hypochondriac Trait", but I'm not totally sure what I'm supposed to look at or start with. The only things they have in common are icons for the traits. "Japanese Culture" doesn't seem to have moodlets, or dreams, while "Hypochondrian" does, and "Japanese Culture" has actions to go with it, while "Hypochondriac" does not.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:35 PM
Does anyone have a tutorial or something?
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 5:24 AM
I start to feel tired of explaining things but please bear with me. It's definitely "complex coding" and if you have no modding experience it's going to be difficult. And therr are never tutorials on specific game modding areas (eg custom skill, trait....) Tutorials can only cover so much that you'll have to venture on your own, if you have coding questions you can always ask though
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 12:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsMatthew
I start to feel tired of explaining things but please bear with me. It's definitely "complex coding" and if you have no modding experience it's going to be difficult. And therr are never tutorials on specific game modding areas (eg custom skill, trait....) Tutorials can only cover so much that you'll have to venture on your own, if you have coding questions you can always ask though

That kind of is what I'm asking. I've never opened up these traits files before, so I don't know what does what.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 10:35 AM
Still looking for help. Maybe someone who has made a custom trait could tell me what they did? I just need an idea of where I'm supposed to start, what's key, and what to avoid so the game doesn't break.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 1:00 PM
In the month that's gone by, I've had time to work out (more or less) the traits I want to make.
Maybe someone could offer ideas on how to make them work, since these are kinda just rough drafts.

Empty

Creepy

Liar

Mute

Cannibal

Strictly Cannibal

Sweet Tooth

Roleplayer

Hydrophiliac

Oblivious

Health Fanatic
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 9:22 AM
Still open to tips.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#9 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 11:18 AM
http://modthesims.info/t/376561

this seems to be a bit interesting (and I guess you saw it already). About needing core mods. Yet so far I can see, the scripts for traits is pretty core mod. I'm not sure if you know C# language? But that's how traits are made basically.