Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 7:24 AM
Default Sim Quarters and Neighborhood Ideas
*Re-posting from Stupid/Random Questions (these thoughts are usually random, so I post them there)*
For those who have made/edited their neighborhood maps, do any of you have quarters? Like specific areas that a culture influences like Japantown, Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Armenia, etc? If so, how did you shape it? Did you just focus on the culture's architectural style and places of business (e.g. Making Italian food restaurants only in Little Italy). Did download specific CC food for it? (Mind you, Chinatown and Japantown would probably have way more CC food than Koreatown). I'm think of using some of the base game's formal clothing to signify what quarters there are (I've seen Chinese, Korean and Mongolian (I think) clothing). But I'll probably just go with a Little Britain (located near Stonehenge landmark), Little Italy, a Latin Quarter (thinking of picking a main country for this), a Far Eastern Quarter and a Moroccan Quarter (because that seems to be the only African nation with a lot of non-CC and CC objects).

Also has anyone made hotels/motels in their city for playable sims from subhoods to visit? That way they can just stay the night there and you don't have to wait for a loading screen. Or you can make a campground in the neighborhood/subhood. For the hotels/motels, you could probably put that electronic thing at the front to set the price as a low-end, mid-range or high-range place. I got that idea from the Elsewhere neighborhood.

Bit of an unfinished (and subject to change) example:

If you have a big map, I think quarters are an excellent way to break them up and still be interested in building if you get bored of just doing one architectural style but still like some form of consistency.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 8:30 AM
Very nice. I don't as I like small maps and small towns. My hood is a beach town (Elsewhere that has tweaked quite a bit) with fishing, fish and tourism the top priorities. It's still what I call in it's fledgling state with a few of the founders either just paying off or about to pay off their loans. The founders children are now child to young adult age. Attached to that I have 2 sub hoods. One is a poorer area which now has 2 of the young adults, and the posher area has one family who own a B&B vineyard. Vineyard is the correct term rather than a 'grape farm'. Since that is a home business I don't send sims there, but playables often stay as it is open all the time and many of the towns people are close enough friends to simply sleep in each others beds. If I am playing a family and want them to stay anywhere I send them to a beach I have set up as a camp ground which also has a nice house on it. Or they can grab a bed at the unowned hotel or motel, I did that once. More tourists type places will be coming later.

Do you plan to ever reply on your other thread? It was a good thread but you never replied back. I could really do with some more meaty threads around here.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Very nice. I don't as I like small maps and small towns. My hood is a beach town (Elsewhere that has tweaked quite a bit) with fishing, fish and tourism the top priorities. It's still what I call in it's fledgling state with a few of the founders either just paying off or about to pay off their loans. The founders children are now child to young adult age. Attached to that I have 2 sub hoods. One is a poorer area which now has 2 of the young adults, and the posher area has one family who own a B&B vineyard. Vineyard is the correct term rather than a 'grape farm'. Since that is a home business I don't send sims there, but playables often stay as it is open all the time and many of the towns people are close enough friends to simply sleep in each others beds. If I am playing a family and want them to stay anywhere I send them to a beach I have set up as a camp ground which also has a nice house on it. Or they can grab a bed at the unowned hotel or motel, I did that once. More tourists type places will be coming later.

Do you plan to ever reply on your other thread? It was a good thread but you never replied back. I could really do with some more meaty threads around here.

Ah, that was the term I was looking for! I've been busy lately so my mind is kaput. I think I'll find that thread and go over it and see what I can add to it.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 1:46 PM
I made a downtown the summer before last that I want to return to someday. I didn't do areas by cultural heritage, but I did do them by income level and type of people likely to live there. So I had a factory district, with community lot factories, factory-apartment conversions, and much older-looking buildings. Everything in that part of the city was either historical or kind of nitty-gritty industrial. People who lived there were either bohemians or worked with the factories. I also had a yuppie district, which was very high-priced but modern-looking, square buildings and some high-rise apartments. The yuppies got grass--no one else did. There was a small commercial district, where sims who were trying to start businesses lived over their businesses. The last distinct district I remember creating was the slum. This was made up of houses and apartments, but they were all small, cheap, and badly in need of repair. I put the Down-on-your-Luck Hostel there, and I even downloaded a motel that the game treated as apartments, so I could have sims living out of a motel.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Forum Resident
#5 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 10:18 PM
Ah talking about separating areas like that. Sims 2 is actually split up into high, middle, and low class area's if you have apartment life. Some of the neighbourhood decorations (like the dumpster trucks) will actually bring down the status of the neighbourhood and thus (if your using townies) attract the lower class social groups, or likewise expensive housing will attract a richer crowd.

CTRL + C - "PrintLotClass" - Not sure how it works with custom content lot decorations.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Diovanlestat
Ah talking about separating areas like that. Sims 2 is actually split up into high, middle, and low class area's if you have apartment life. Some of the neighbourhood decorations (like the dumpster trucks) will actually bring down the status of the neighbourhood and thus (if your using townies) attract the lower class social groups, or likewise expensive housing will attract a richer crowd.

CTRL + C - "PrintLotClass" - Not sure how it works with custom content lot decorations.

That explains why I haven't seen a truck in awhile. Though I only have 1 house built and it is ~ $22,000.
Why do I keep getting UFOs though? I have not put in the crashed ship.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 6:56 AM
I think your hood looks really great, @Rinchan7. I have added several "business hoods" to my main hood, which each supposed to have its own character; so I have a hood for farming; a hood for the more creative Sims like the writers and artists, a hood for the professionals (lawyers, doctors, etc live there), a hood for the just graduated (although some move back home as well); a shopping hood which has only businesses and a retirement village.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 7:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I think your hood looks really great, @Rinchan7. I have added several "business hoods" to my main hood, which each supposed to have its own character; so I have a hood for farming; a hood for the more creative Sims like the writers and artists, a hood for the professionals (lawyers, doctors, etc live there), a hood for the just graduated (although some move back home as well); a shopping hood which has only businesses and a retirement village.

Once I have a lot of elder sims, I'm definitely doing that retirement village idea, not sure where I'll but it though, probably 1 in the farming country and another downtown that way the could 'chose'. (I'll just watch to see what actions they like to do and move accordingly)
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 8:58 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 7th Oct 2015 at 9:09 PM.
Im not sure if I would call it quarters, but I do zone my neighborhood and using a map where I zone the roads based on the families social status.

My hood (Withea Dale) is pre-modern and has inspiration from the royal kingdom challenge, where a royal family have control over the entire hood. There is only one nationality so far so I don't have any cultural influences.

For archiectures, I just use a roughly color system for the houses and use mostly maxi objects using their collection as inspirations. Farmers for example have their house furniturised from the country selection.
The pictures in the spoiler is a family that are from the merchant (blue zoned) class, their houses are typically 2x2 - 2x3 small and in blue/white color.

Each social class also have a specific lifestyle/career, funds, taxes, clothing, aspiration and genetics characteristics which help me figure out who-is-who easier, but its more general.
I.E:The merchant family tends to have lifestyle related to sport, art, cuisine, literature, dance and music, have 100-200K in starting funds, 500-700$ in daily taxes ad the majority wear something blue or teal, has fortune aspiration and the founders has light skintones and dark hair/eyes. But this isnt exactly about quarters, just how break up everything,

But I don't really do much more than this. Im not good at archiecture and I don't want too much CC in my game (poor laptop).