Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2016 at 10:14 PM
Default Tattoo edit.
I have a tattoo accessory downloaded into my game. Part of the tattoo I would love to remove as I feel spoils the rest of it. I would love to know how I would go about editing this package file just simply to remove part of the image.

I would be using this for myself only. I have no intentions to upload anywhere and would not be claiming anyone elses work as my own.

I have S3Pe, Dashboard, and Custard. I am happy to download any other programmes if needed.

Please let me know if you can instruct me how to do this, or if you need further information from me to guide me

Thank you
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 9:48 PM
To Start, If you don't have one already, you'll need an image editing program that supports .DDS format. Amongst them, GIMP (+ dds plugin), which is free, or Photoshop (+ dds plugin). I'm more familiar with Photoshop, but the steps are essentially the same.

What you want to do is a simple edit of the texture (IMG) of the Tattoo.
Most of the time with these acessory tattoos, there is only one IMG present in the package. But if there are more, then the creator made multiple presets or packed several tattoos in one package. Thankfully, you can preview the images with S3PE.

A little prelude, maybe?
If you don't want your edit to override the original package, you will need to clone it. This can be done with S3OC.
This way, you could have both the origial tattoo and your edit in your game or you could do this simply for preservation sake and also, prevent any conflict if you happen to have them both by mistake in your Mods/Packages folder.

This is up to you, but if you want to do this:

1) Open the tattoo's package in S3OC: File > Open Package...
2) Select the file and click Clone or Fix on the bottom-right.
3) You can even take the time to see if the accessory tattoo is categorised as you want it (maybe it's not available for Naked or Outwear?).
4) When you're ready, tick Create clone package and tick Renumber/rename internally. This is how the tattoo will become its own little guy.
5) Click Start. And you're done with the cloning part!

Now for the real deal:
1) Open the tattoo's package in S3PE. Export the image you want to edit (IMG): Right-click the IMG > Export > to file...
2) Open the exported image (.dds) into your image editing program.
3) Now, you don't have to touch the actual image, but you'll want to edit the Alpha Channel.
I don't know if you're familiar with what it is, but you could check this tattoo creation tutorial (GIMP) or this one (Photoshop)? There are pictures to illustrate the steps, so at least, you'll have a visual idea of what I'm talking about? But in any case, the Alpha Channel tells what can and cannot be seen in the image. Black means invisible and white means visible.
To edit the Alpha channel: in the Layers panel, click Channels. The black and white image is your Alpha (Alpha 1).
4) Now, just paint in black the areas that you don't want to be seen on the tattoo.
5) Once you're done, Save or Save As.
6) Now, with your tattoo's package still open or reopened in S3PE, you're going to replace the original image with your edit. If you didn't change the name of the image when you saved, then you can just click Resource > Import > from file. The image will overwrite the original one. Or you can Right-click the IMG > Replace > Select your edited image.
7) Now, save your package and test in game to see if everything worked correctly!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 6:46 PM
@Blyss this was INCREDIBLY helpful. I'm so grateful for your time.
I have a few questions however. I should've mentioned above that I'm using GIMP.

Firstly, the first time I did this it worked great. I was so excited when I saw it in the game. However although I had managed to get rid of the parts of the tattoo I didn't want, the rest of the tattoo had become paler and more transparent.

Secondly, when I'm colouring in black over the alpha channel its coming out a white/transparent colour. In the little mini icon its showing up solid white. Is this right?

Lastly, a couple of times when I've tried exporting, it comes up with an error. Something about volume maps.

Thanks again!
Instructor
#4 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 5:47 PM
Hmm, so I really never used Gimp. So when it comes to editing an alpha channel, my explanations may actually be more suited for Photoshop than they are for Gimp?

1) Did you touch any of the opacity settings for the layers you edited? That could affect how transparent/pale it will appear in game. In the alpha channel, what is going to be fully white is going to be at full opacity. The greyer the white is, the more transparent the tattoo it will be.

2) Well, that's where I'm a bit unsure and I may have mislead you a bit, as maybe you actually can't use the same process as you would in Photoshop. Sorry about that.
Looking around, I came to understand that maybe, in Gimp, both the Alpha Channel and the Texture get edited. Posts 3 and 4 of this thread were what made me rethink my explanations.

Maybe, just using the eraser to get rid of the part you don't want is the way to go in this case.

3) Hmm, about this error.
Try unchecking "Load Mipmaps" when you open your .dds file in GIMP (if you didn't do that already)?
And when exporting, try saving in BC3/DXT5 and tick Generate Mipmaps?

If you still don't have any luck, I could try and take a look at your edits?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 10:23 PM
@Blyss you've been wonderful, thank you

I did just erase the parts I didn't want and it actually worked! I got rid of the maps error by using the 'flatten image' action.

Thanks again
Instructor
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 8:43 AM
Excellent!
Glad you could make it work.