Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:16 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 10th Jul 2016 at 10:02 PM.
Default The Sims Medieval Content Compatibility with TS3
Hi everyone!
I find it hard to believe no one has found this out, but just in case I think it deserves a thread.
Most CLIP files from The Sims Medieval are 100% compatible with The Sims 3.
I was shocked but the more files I tried, the more I convinced myself that in fact there's no difference between adult rigs in these two games.

VIDEO

So I'm wondering how nobody has ever tried to use this animations to recreate some of the most interesting gameplay objects in TSM, such as the cards game or the interrogation chair (such an amazing object for sadists) or heck even swords... I also tried taking a peek at TSM dlls but Reflector doesn't like them, so I cannot see whether the code is that different compared to Sims 3's. Assuming both games are written in C#, it should not be that different, right? Nothing you can't adapt.

Even if we cannot adapt (convert) gameplay objects, TSM CLIPs are perfectly compatible and they could help some modders who struggle really hard to make animations (God knows I tried but I didn't like the result so I gave up). Not knowing how to script, I don't have much use for these animations (they could still be nice for storytelling purposes) but I know some people could use them to create amazing content. As I said, this may be a known fact but since I have never ever seen a mod using a TSM animation, some people may not know it's possible (I remember in fact a breastfeeding mod whose creator said that TSM animations were not compatible, or something like that).

If someone wants a certain group of animations just ask me and I'll compile them for you. :D
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 7:15 PM
Yep, EA literally sort of revamped the sims 3 and turned it all medieval. If you would go deeper, you'll find some sims 3 meshes. So I won't be surprised if the coding is exactly the same. Sadly I just uninstalled medieval so I can't really take a look at the scripting. >-< The gameplay is exactly the same as the sims 3, but just with more 'challenges' like the sims 3 says. Also, face and body meshes are exactly, EA just slapped on some new skin.

But a lot of people have made a few medieval animations already. But awesome found!
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 9:56 PM Last edited by Naus Allien : 10th Jul 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Upon further research I found out that most types in fact SEEM to be compatible. Most ITUNs don't appear to work like Sims 3's ones but this is fixable seems these files are not very complex. XMLs also are a hit or miss. Jazz files look perfectly fine.

I got Reflector to open the game assemblies and the code looks somehow compatible (of course it requires some adaptation):
For example, this is what the GameTable class looks like (methods not expanded):

I can see someone adapting the code to be compatible with TS3. I'm just wondering why nobody has.
It could really expand Sims 3 gameplay in very interesting ways...
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 10:16 PM
It's funny though, because these codes look awfully familiar to the sims 4 one. Though I guess by fixing some things in the scripts would make it compatible with the sims 3. I'm just a total noob when it comes to those kind of things
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:03 AM
Time to convert everything!

I wonder if it's possible to grab entire interactions and dump them into the Sims 3.

More than that, I'd love it if we could get the Sims Medieval shaders (they apparently have subskin scattering, and face meshes into the Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Time to convert everything!

I wonder if it's possible to grab entire interactions and dump them into the Sims 3.

More than that, I'd love it if we could get the Sims Medieval shaders (they apparently have subskin scattering, and face meshes into the Sims 3.

I'm liking where this is going.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Virtual gardener
#7 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:22 PM
This makes me want to reinstall the sims medieval just for looking more into these files.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 12:24 AM
So what are you guys thinking of converting? The birds? The swordfighting? I think the shaders would be a great start, like @jje1000 said.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 7:37 AM Last edited by Naus Allien : 12th Jul 2016 at 8:38 AM.
I mean if it were for me, I would convert everything, hahaa... But we need someone who can actually write C# to do it. I can help with everything else, because I know a little bit of everything, but someone who really knows their way around the game code has to see how they can adapt TSM scripts to be functional in The Sims 3. I was waiting for a programmer to come here and help, but sadly nobody has. I knew I should've studied Computer Sciences instead of Literature *sigh*
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
I mean if it were for me, I would convert everything, hahaa... But we need someone who can actually write C# to do it. I can help with everything else, because I know a little bit of everything, but someone who really knows their way around the game code has to see how they can adapt TSM scripts to be functional in The Sims 3. I was waiting for a programmer to come here and help, but sadly nobody has. I knew I should've studied Computer Sciences instead of Literature *sigh*

Do you know of any such people? They're not gonna be up for help if you don't ask them.

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#11 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 3:11 PM
Small thing about the shaders though. The sims 3's shaders are inside this file: Shaders_Win32.precomp (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin) I just never found out how to 'unpack' it. Since there were some threads going around asking how to change the ghost's transparency but back then, no one knew it was inside that file.

For the birds, it shouldn't be hard to make that function. As in, exporting the mesh and textures and make it a new kind that the game reads. Just need to figure out if it's just as adding a new vegetable in the grocery store. Or if it needs any script/xml tuning editing.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Small thing about the shaders though. The sims 3's shaders are inside this file: Shaders_Win32.precomp (C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin) I just never found out how to 'unpack' it. Since there were some threads going around asking how to change the ghost's transparency but back then, no one knew it was inside that file.

Lol I wonder if the Sims Medieval's shaders are in the same format.

If that were the case, I wonder what would happen if you swapped one out for the other...
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 11:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Lol I wonder if the Sims Medieval's shaders are in the same format.

If that were the case, I wonder what would happen if you swapped one out for the other...

There's only one way to find out.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Aug 2016 at 10:29 AM
Read somewhere that .precomp files can only be made and opened with Autodesk Maya.

insert signature here
Virtual gardener
#15 Old 3rd Aug 2016 at 12:03 PM
Sounds reasonable, since a lot of games have shaders with their models, and are usually supported with Autodesk products. Although, it seems that it is pretty hard to decompress the precomp files. Sadly I don't own Maya or anything autodesk products >-<
Theorist
#16 Old 3rd Aug 2016 at 1:56 PM
Ani was attempting this before she retired. Maybe she could fill you in better on that

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 10:56 AM
Maya is free for students. I happen to be one, albeit in a slightly different field. There's a slim chance I'll be able to get a license next semester.

insert signature here
Instructor
#18 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 12:48 AM
Sorry to interrupt such an interesting conversation, but this topic seemed the right place to drop it in: guys, you mod gods need to think about breaking the internet CC list for TSM in TS3 with an amazing medieval smartphone replacement, like a bird, or a rat, or a mirror instead of a phone.
IMAGINE HOW WE WOULD LOVE YOU!!!
That is what Medieval players need above all I reckon.
Forgive my impertinence! I wish I had the brains to know how to do that sort of stuff.
Good luck with what you're talking about working on!
*Eagerly snoops on conversation from the sidelines*
Virtual gardener
#19 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 1:48 PM
Actually, the topic was about TSM to TS3. So converting scripts and all to the sims 3. Not the TSM. Although I can understand it would be awesome to have something in TSM to contact your sims's friends! Wasn't it possible to send letters to other sims instead?
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Actually, the topic was about TSM to TS3. So converting scripts and all to the sims 3. Not the TSM. Although I can understand it would be awesome to have something in TSM to contact your sims's friends! Wasn't it possible to send letters to other sims instead?

Yeah, I was talking about Medieval mods for TS3 (Sorry if I said TSM in TS3) I meant the smartphone in TS3. Never played TSM tbh.