Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 3:10 PM
Default Btk
Good morning!

I just noticed something that might need to be changed. I just noticed the new mod the BTK Children's Store BTK [IMG]BTK[/IMG] . "BTK" was the calling card of the serial killer Dennis Lynn Rader. My guess is this isn't intentional, it's really unfortunate.

While I should probably be contacting the creator about this I haven't figured out how to do this (not enough coffee yet :-) )

Thanks.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Georgeisacat
Good morning!

I just noticed something that might need to be changed. I just noticed the new mod the BTK Children's Store BTK [IMG]BTK[/IMG] . "BTK" was the calling card of the serial killer Dennis Lynn Rader. My guess is this isn't intentional, it's really unfortunate.

While I should probably be contacting the creator about this I haven't figured out how to do this (not enough coffee yet :-) )

Thanks.

I noticed that too, but it's specified on the description page that it stands for "Baby, Toddler, Kid" - I suppose they didn't like the look of BTC? I don't know. I doubt if a moderator is going to do anything.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 6:21 PM
Oh wow that is quite... disturbing! Will look into it!
Smeg Head
#4 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 6:23 PM
What inspires outrage and need for change?

I'm sure it's safe to say the creator had no intention of basing their abbreviation on that used by said killer. Coincidence is key, here. So it really pretty much boils down to who, and how many, will be offended by the abbreviation. You haven't clearly stated if you, yourself, are actually offended, or are just remarking on the coincidence - just doing your civic duty in case others might be offended?

A recent case example a few months back, being a creator made an executioner's hood, as the creator was well known for making such CC content. Coincidently, the hood looked more like something worn by the KKK, and so they were asked to change it lest it be removed. Which the creator was happy to do once the coincidence and subsequent outrage was aired.

Will this mod feel the same outrage? Does a simple, coincidental abbreviation deserve or warrant such scrutiny. I'd understand it if the abbreviation came out as KKK - we've already seen what happens there. But this? The abbreviated letters of my cousin's name are more offensive than this. Should I ask her to change her name - just in case someone takes offence one day? Christina Ursula Naylor-Trent, (she insists on the double barrel surname since her parents divorce, despite the unfortunate abbreviation.)

Coincidence, eh? Why get in a tizz?

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 8:14 PM
Whether or not it was unintentional, it is disturbing.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 9:02 AM
As a true crime aficionado, the title caught my eye as something REALLY strange for MTS. Definitely an odd title for a mod. Unintentional, that's fine just give them a heads up. Intentional, that's worrisome.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 4:36 PM
Who? I'm probably just out of the loop and am not really up on my serial killer knowledge but would have to google the name to find out who he is. To me this is some obscure unknown from distant history. So obviously thinking serial killer never would have crossed my mind....You can't expect everyone to be constantly aware of associations to every possible bad thing that has ever happened. I think there is such a thing as being too vigilant for potential offense.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 5:51 PM
It's really not that serious.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~