Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 11:07 AM
Default What If The Sims 2 Online/Co-op/Multiplayer spin-off was release?
Those who want to play it, what would look forward to see in it?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 12:55 PM
What Sims 2 Online/Co-op/Multiplayer spin-off?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 1:23 PM
Maybe what SneakyWingsPhoenix meant, was..what EA did with all the The Sims 2 games. Release a big bundle that included every game. What if EA did this with much older games, such as The Sims Online etc.
Then again, maybe not? EA did this for The Sims original, if I am not mistaken.
And if I am right well..what would you guys expect from it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#4 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 2:39 PM
Well, it’s not a thing for me. I’m not into multiplayer games, I’d feel uncomfortable playing while watched, and I like sims because I can create my own universes and enjoy them I wouldn’t like other people interrupting my experience.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:04 PM
For me it would be different, because it would work differently. lol
Imagine if..you and I could play in the very same Hood, simultaneously. Though i cannot see what,s happening in your house, I can only see mine..like the usual. But if we happen to visit the same community lot at the same sim-time..we would actually meet. (not us, but our sims) Funny things could then happen. Townies would be a thing of the past..because it could be me or her or him playing along. That would be something I'd love.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:13 PM
I think the Sims franchise is better off as single player games, because everyone plays so differently, from how they want everything to look, how they want things to work, whether they play the game, use it to build/decorate, or just like to create for it. People love the games because, like Voeille said, they can control most of what happens in it. If they were multiplayer, people would lose that personalization.

If you look at The Sims Social, that was on Facebook, it didn't do well, because there was too much focus on interacting with others instead of doing what you wanted. The Sims Online, from what I've read, was not very fun for lots of simmers because they had to constantly learn skills and earn money and compete, rather than do things that they found fun. People like the personal aspect of it, and they like the freedom of being able to do whatever they want in their own little world. I feel like anybody who is playing the Sims at any point is doing so to get away from dealing with others at that moment, to focus on their own desires within the game. Nobody is questioning your choices or influencing your experience. There's no designation of important characters and unimportant characters, no story line you have to follow, no obligatory tasks. Its all yours.

In my opinion, those who are primarily looking to interact with others through their own character will gravitate towards things like Second Life or IMVU, whereas those who play the Sims have already decided a social interaction aspect is not really what they're looking for. But maybe that's just me. :P
Forum Resident
#7 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:24 PM
... Nope.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:29 PM
Well, all the attemps from EA to make The Sims into an online/multiplayer game have failed, since The Sims Online from the TS1 era.

I don't know if that's true, but I heard that The Sims 4 originally was meant to be a completelly online game, but EA couldn't pull that off, which may be the reason why The Sims 4 looks so incomplete.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rguerra
Well, all the attemps from EA to make The Sims into an online/multiplayer game have failed, since The Sims Online from the TS1 era.

That makes complete sense. Why would it ever work?
"Hey, people seem to really love this game where the core concept is to control the lives of little people, let's make on online version meaning they have inevitably lost all the control that made the original game so popular."
Scholar
#11 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 3:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zena-Dew-Drop
I think the Sims franchise is better off as single player games, because everyone plays so differently, from how they want everything to look, how they want things to work, whether they play the game, use it to build/decorate, or just like to create for it. People love the games because, like Voeille said, they can control most of what happens in it. If they were multiplayer, people would lose that personalization.

If you look at The Sims Social, that was on Facebook, it didn't do well, because there was too much focus on interacting with others instead of doing what you wanted. The Sims Online, from what I've read, was not very fun for lots of simmers because they had to constantly learn skills and earn money and compete, rather than do things that they found fun. People like the personal aspect of it, and they like the freedom of being able to do whatever they want in their own little world. I feel like anybody who is playing the Sims at any point is doing so to get away from dealing with others at that moment, to focus on their own desires within the game. Nobody is questioning your choices or influencing your experience. There's no designation of important characters and unimportant characters, no story line you have to follow, no obligatory tasks. Its all yours.

In my opinion, those who are primarily looking to interact with others through their own character will gravitate towards things like Second Life or IMVU, whereas those who play the Sims have already decided a social interaction aspect is not really what they're looking for. But maybe that's just me. :P

I agree with this completely, you put it better than me

And yes TS4 is leftovers after the failed Olympus project, which was supposed to be an online game. That explains why it’s so limited and lacks customisation possibilities so much. After all, in an online environment everyone should play in the same worlds without he ability to modify them, the only could modify their own lots, just like in TS4.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Theorist
#12 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zena-Dew-Drop
That makes complete sense. Why would it ever work?
"Hey, people seem to really love this game where the core concept is to control the lives of little people, let's make on online version meaning they have inevitably lost all the control that made the original game so popular."

^ This. Sims 3 and 4 are already taking too much control away by playing inactive households for you while you aren't looking and without any permission form the player (or any to stop the stupid AI from doing that)

Granted human players would (at least in most cases) be less stupid than the AI, but it would lead to even more loss of control because there'd be no way to remove the changes another player would have made. Plus there's still the huge differences in taste, playstyle etc. etc. between different players.
For example, most custom skintones that attempt to make the Sims look more "realistic" seem absolutely hideous or downright creepy to me, so I wouldn't be happy if the online Sim world was flooded with Sims featuring them.

And even so; Sims is mainly focused on a simulation of everyday life. It's fun to me because I can create drama between my sims, take care of them, tell stories and solve problems. Involving other players into that...I can see no way it wouldn't just degenerate into something like Second Life, i.e. basically a chatroom with avatars and the ability to build a house.

I mean this:

is what EA expected us to do when Sims 4 was still an online game. Inviting our friends over into our pretend houses for pretend virtual pancake dinners and then making quips about how the virtual, make-believe pancakes are "Meh...(grumpy cat)" and "Where's your cooking skill at?"
What's the enjoyment in that?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 4:57 PM
There is a restoration project of The Sims Online called FreeSO, you can find more information about it here.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Maybe what SneakyWingsPhoenix meant, was..what EA did with all the The Sims 2 games. Release a big bundle that included every game. What if EA did this with much older games, such as The Sims Online etc.
Then again, maybe not? EA did this for The Sims original, if I am not mistaken.
And if I am right well..what would you guys expect from it.

Bingo!
Inventor
#16 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 7:53 PM
I'd rather stick with the solo player aspect of Sims 2. It would not be the same game we know and love if it suddenly involved a multiplayer of some perspective and certain tasks are required to achieve with multiple people. I am in my own niche with this game, being able to control all my Sims however I see fit without any interference. Even the seemingly smarter AI will need a hand in manipulating how they'll prosper.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
I wonder who programmed FreeSO. I also wonder how they managed to avoid copyright issues with EA.

The person behind it is called Rhys. The loophole is that you download the essential files from EA's own server which hosts The Sims Online and then you just add the files made for FreeSO, as Frogz mentioned there is a lot of reversed engineering involved and not everything is done yet. However it is in a playable state so I recommend to check it out!
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 11:01 PM
Not interested in online multiplayer, never have been. And, ironically, the ability to play against a friend or family member in console games has been taken away. How dumb is that? I used to love racing my brother in a car game in my living room but no more. You have to go online to play against strangers. As for Sims online, nope, not at all interested.
Inventor
#19 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 1:42 AM
I was interested in the idea when I first heard about it for Sims 4, which is kinda funny since I generally avoid multiplayer games. For me, it was more about the excitement of seeing and interacting with other players' sims and lots. But I understand why some people wouldn't want that. I wouldn't particularly want it, if it turned out other people could adversely affect my sims/lots or if it became centered around amassing a bunch of 'friends'/collectibles/microtransaction goodies. Unfortunately, the latter is probably what would've happened since players in MOs tend to think more stuff=better player and I doubt EA could resist the allure of having microtransactions shoved in everywhere =/
Mad Poster
#20 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 1:55 AM
Maybe I'd been interested if the concept had been done right. Considering EA's current scoreboard of more misses than hits, I'll pass on the multiplayer/social versions of Sims.

I did try the Facebook game a long time ago, but since I wasn't willing to pay, the game moved very slow. It also leaned too heavy on having lots of friends playing the game. Only a couple of my facebook friends played it, and quit soon after I'd started playing. The game was pretty much a pay-to-progress TS 0.5 basegame with only one adult sim per household.

Haven't tried the Sims Social game, but it does look a bit more fun than the Facebook version. I'm not a big fan of games that rely heavy on a pay-to-progress model, though. If paying is optional it's fine, but if the game is made so the only way to progress is to pay to unlock certain useful parts of the game, or to even have a chance of progressing to the next level this century, I'm out.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 9:04 AM
I would think "Well, whaddya know, Sims online. Hmm. What a time to be alive." then go back to playing my game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 9:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prah
There is a restoration project of The Sims Online called FreeSO, you can find more information about it here.

Downloading it right now.
Inventor
#23 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
I used to love racing my brother in a car game in my living room but no more. You have to go online to play against strangers.

Although I wasn't a big fan of going against other players in video games, I do cherish the original aspect that multiplayer was implemented in the earlier consoles. All you need is another controller or three, and then as many buddies or family members to have fun.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 4:24 PM
I wouldn't want a MMO type of sims like TSO, but I would like it if you and a friend or two could connect together and live as a family or control different families and interact with each other.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 5:40 PM
I do have one of the earlier Sims multiplayer console games (either Urbz or some other one), but the game felt slow, and the controls were very awkward. The way that game was made didn't work very well as a multiplayer edition. I only played it a few times before giving it up entirely. I much prefer the single player PC version.
Page 1 of 2