Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 11:23 AM
Default Update!! I think I found the right pc
I've been searching and learning as I go all about the ins and outs of a PC.I know which to get that meets my needs and budget. Anyways I think I found the Pc I want to get and it is a little under my budget which leaves room for me to purchase my desk and chair. Here are the specs,

Desktop Specifications
Operating SystemsWindows 8 64-Bit
Orientations AllowedVertical
Form FactorMinitower
Memory Module Specifications
Memory TypeDDR3
Total Memory Size12GB
Maximum Memory Supported32GB
Monitor Specifications
Display TypeMonitor Not Included
Media Ports
LAN Ports1
USB Ports (Total)2 - USB 2.0
3 - USB 3.0
Audio Out Jacks1
Microphone Jacks1
HDMI Ports1
Processor Specifications
Processor BrandIntel
Processor ClassCore i7
Processor Numberi7-4770
Processor Speed3.40GHz
Processor InterfaceFCLGA1150
Hard Disk Drive Specifications
Hard Drives Included1
Capacity1TB
InterfaceSerial ATA/300
Hard Drive TypesHard Disk Drive
Optical Drive Specifications
Optical Drive ClassDVD±RW
Supplemental Drive
Supplemental Media TypeMedia Reader
Audio Specifications
Audio DescriptionIntegrated Audio
Audio ChipsetHigh Definition Audio
Channels5.1
Graphics Specifications
GraphicsDedicated Graphics
GPU/VPUAMD Radeon HD 8760
Video Memory2GB
WiFi & Wireless Specifications
WiFi DescriptionWireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth
WiFi Standards Supported802.11b
802.11a
802.11g
802.11n
Network Adapter Specifications
LAN ChipsetIntegrated
LAN Data Transfer Rate10/100/1000Mbps
LAN DescriptionGigabit Ethernet
LAN Interface TypeRJ-45
Power Management
Power500 Watt
Dimensions
Height17.2"
Width7.1"
Depth16.9"

It's a Acer though is that a good brand?.I'd have to update the Windows to 8.1 right?. Will this handle the game and its expanion and stuff packs?. Also I read that with this graphics card it has to be played at medium settings and not high? How do I go about that?. Last I think I will be buying base game as well as the expanisons and stuff packs from Origin should I get the base game or starter pack?.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 3:54 PM
FYI, general forum etiquette says this update should have been posted in the old thread. In general, if you shouldn't make new threads to talk about the same thing, even if there has been an update. Don't worry too much about it, just remember that for next time.

If I were you, I would avoid Origin like the plague. I know plenty of people use it, but I don't know very many people who like it. In my opinion, it would be a better idea to download the Steam client (go to that page once you get the new computer and click the green 'Install Steam' button in the upper-right corner), and purchase the Sims through there. I've got a laptop running Windows 8.1, and I play TS3 through Steam and have never had any problems with it. Steam also frees you from some of the DRM and copy-protection that Origin automatically logs on your computer. It's much simpler and neater, in my opinion, especially if you know nothing about computers. Steam would probably be more expensive initially (so you'd want to start out with just the base game and 1 or 2 expansion packs instead of buying everything all at once), but their sales are amazing. I have all but one or two EP's, and I paid less than ten dollars apiece for most of them. And again, in my opinion, an extra few dollars is well worth it for not having to deal with Origin.

I personally don't like Acer, but I've only ever used their laptops (several friends had them, and they seemed to get pretty beat-up really quickly) so I couldn't tell you anything about their desktop computers. Instead of posting all the specs here, you should really just search it on Amazon (I'm guessing it's called "Acer Aspire" and then has a string of letters and numbers after it) and read the reviews. They'll be able to tell you a hell of a lot more than anyone here can. In all seriousness, you ought to be able to run TS3 just fine on any new machine--if you want to play the game at high quality (which isn't necessary, by any means) then yes, you might have to install a better graphics card. I have no idea how to do that, but if you Google "how to install a graphics card" you should be able to find an illustrated or video guide to walk you though the process.

You probably already know this, but I'm going to say it, just in case--all you're getting is the computer itself. You'll need to buy a monitor, mouse, and keyboard to actually use the darn thing.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Alchemist
#3 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 4:21 PM
I've been using Origin for a long time now - including Sim 3 games among others - and I have never had any kind of issues with it, not even with multiplayer games. I know many people don't like it but I for one have been quite happy with it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 5:53 PM
Yeah i know I have to buy all that i just didnt mention it cause it was obvious lol and if i get it with a moniter itll be more than my budget it i did it this way (this particular pc) because itll leave room for me to have extra money for the desk and stuff and i mainly picked this PC cause of the RAM and it has wireless internet (not ethernet) which I'm not familar with and ill have to buy extra parts just to hook it up (theres a router in the living room but its hooked up to my stepdads PC) and since he passed its never been unhooked (idk how to do any of that) and also the Pcs with ethernet have smaller ram but most are (Nvidia cards) and a few extra hundred out my budget I did go into the help section after i posted this and read up on almost everything but it stated not to post it there I think the video card should be fine far as compadiblity (its yes across everything) and thats the problem I had in 2009 my pc couldnt handle it at all so I was just inrequiring since its been some yrs and I have to start all over ( Learning how to install everything ... how to play it) But thanks for tha advice next time ill post it in the right section
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Apr 2014 at 10:18 PM
The Radeon HD 8760 is apparently a rebadged HD 7770, which was and still is a fine card and should be capable of playing TS3 on High just fine. Although, If I recall correctly, some ATI/AMD cards don't like the way TS3 does antialiasing, so you may have to disable adaptive antialiasing in Catalyst Control Center.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lavshdiva
.............................i mainly picked this PC cause of the RAM and it has wireless internet (not ethernet) which I'm not familar with and ill have to buy extra parts just to hook it up (theres a router in the living room but its hooked up to my stepdads PC) and since he passed its never been unhooked (idk how to do any of that) and also the Pcs with ethernet have smaller ram but most are (Nvidia cards) ....................

First, the amount of RAM a machine comes with should not be the basis for choosing a model. Any desktop (or laptop, for that matter) can have additional memory added at very little cost with very little effort.

Second, every pc that I know of comes with a built in Ethernet port. And these days, usually a Gigabit port. Wired Ethernet will always be faster than wireless. Unless you simply cannot run an Ethernet cable to where your desktop will reside, wireless networking shouldn't be your primary access point for something immobile, like a desktop (laptops obviously are different), so paying extra for it shouldn't feel like a "bonus" for you. Wireless networking can have other uses in an ad hoc peer to peer wireless network if you want to integrate stuff like your phone and/or tablet, but even that's not necessary if it's all off the same router.

Finally, the video card offered is an older model (early 2013) and has correctly been identified as a rebranded 7770, which is even older (yes, they shrunk the die for the chip, but the performance is essentially the same). It is not in the same class as the card you were looking at in the ibuypower build from your earlier thread, which you deleted. However, it should still be sufficient for TS3 and I expect, TS4, but you're not exactly buying a current gen "mainstream, mid-range" gaming card. And there's nothing wrong with NVidia cards. As a matter of fact, some folks prefer them to the ATI/AMD cards out there. Still, I've used cards from both, and have been generally pleased with both companies.

I hope it finally works out for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:13 AM
First off I have no way of wiring the cord to where i am the router is in the living room like i stated and mines will be my room Only way I can do that is if I buy a powerline adapter (or home plug or whatever.. which idk if it'll even work) Not to mention thats more money i dont have currently less i save up a while longer mind you i do not know how to hook all those cords and things up and I doubt any places well come do it for me(hooking up a PC is different than wiring things even with intructions I have a little difficulty) So if i have to rather get the plug or adapter. I never heard of this " gigabite ethernet" til i started looking for a Pc all I know is WLAN and thats easy I dont understand what the difference wireless makes from ethernet theyre both the same thing Second i dont want a Pc where i have to add more things too it than not necessory the requiremnts says atleast 8gbs this one is 12 lastly the PC shops where i live over price you for everything and some are just crappy though theres one that I had my laptop screen fixed they seemed nice but idk if they actually put things in it (as i am not going inside the pc and messing with it and break it i prefer professionals) but i think they only do repair I'm not sure, called the other day their on vacation now if i ever find a place that will build one for me (where I live not online) and wont charge me over my budget then fine until then I'll have to buy one, even if i choose this one or not thats my choice but I think I'll just research it on my own and pick what i think is best for me and what I can afford because in the end its my money my decision