Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 8:46 PM
Default Cults, anyone?
I want to start a cult in my game, but just wondering if anyone has tried this and how you set it up?
Thx, Vllygrl

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 10:00 PM
You could have them all live together in one house with some set rules. Almightyhat has tweaked the religion mod by Chris Hatch. You would probably want one sim who is at the top of the paranormal career.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 10:47 PM
My last 'hood had a grilled cheese cult. It was started by a dormie that had joined a frat - he had a want to top the paranormal career (become cult leader) and a high interest in food. I gave him a grilled cheese secondary, and when he graduated he started the cult. The cult members all lived on the same lot, and everyone had either a primary or secondary aspiration of grilled cheese. They wore assorted shades of orange, yellow, and brown; their house was decorated in those colours, with patterns that reminded me of bread slices (anything vaguely squarish, preferably with rounded corners), and the building had the Moroccan windows in orange. The main room was the cult's kitchen/dining/worship room - one end had a couple of stoves and counters, there was a table near that end of the room, and the other half of the room had a shrine to the Great Grilled Cheese decorated with numerous paintings of sandwiches. There was a piano along one wall so they could have music in any ceremonies, and another room had books and a tv for studying cooking. A third room was a general recreation and social room, with games, easels, and other activities for cult members. Each adult cult member had their own room upstairs, unless they were married in which case they shared, and there was a nursery. The front room on the main floor was a home business - they sold grilled cheese as both individual plates and group meals, as well as paintings of grilled cheese.

New cult members were recruited by making friends with the cult leader. He'd go to a community lot and chat about grilled cheese with either playables I wanted to have join the cult or with random townies. If the first "talk about grilled cheese" was accepted, he'd continue trying to make friends and eventually he'd ask them to move in. They'd then become obsessed with grilled cheese and it dominated their lives - to the point that most cult members quit their jobs and spent all their time with the cult.
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Nov 2016 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You could have them all live together in one house with some set rules. Almightyhat has tweaked the religion mod by Chris Hatch. You would probably want one sim who is at the top of the paranormal career.

Yup, I have this mod and I am in the process of remaking the Kine Society from Sims 2 for the PSP. I also have rules set up for my faiths and dice rolls determine who believes in what. The Kines I have tasks to achieve in order to join and they are very strict. The Kine Dairy was always my favorite in Sims 2 PSP so yeah I'm trying to remake it and stuff.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Instructor
#5 Old 29th Nov 2016 at 12:52 AM
I actually have an entire hood devoted to being radical Mormons. Utah City and and subhood Utah Springs which has the most stricter FLDS type rules for my sims.

I explained a little in my post
http://www.modthesims.info/m/showth...572#post5086572

Each town has certain rules to adhere to and dress code, from modest to exteme. I have the town (originally desiderata valley) emptied from the premades and bin families, and I'm interested to see how many generations I can keep up before sims get fed up (alot of aspiration failures) before they try to escape the cult.

So not exactly a cult house but more so a cult neighborhood, which can be found in areas like Utah, Colorado, with these radical Mormon groups in the US

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Field Researcher
#6 Old 29th Nov 2016 at 12:54 AM
I did do it, with the Recent Order of Saturnius (they weren't old enough to be the Ancient Order). Eight sims, later downsized to six, headed by a Grand Saturnian who had to be an elder. Every Sunday night, the least popular disciple was evicted (but took 10% of the lodge's bank balance as goodies in their inventory) and a replacement made in CAS came in the following night.

Cult rules included: No electrical devices bar the necessary (fridge, phone, stove) ; no 'pure fun' items, everything had to revolve around skill development, so no TV, computer, stereo, hot tub or dartboard, but easel, piano, exerciser and swimming pool were allowed ; limited choice of careers (no politics, military or crime, with medical, policing or science preferred) so most disciples could never follow their Lifetime Want ; no Aspiration or Career Rewards ; and no breeding (but WooHoo permitted to lift Aspiration Meters out of the red). Also no outside visitors bar the necessary (fire-fighters and cops).

I played it that way for nearly 150 sim-days, though once Brenda Britt (born in the neighbourhood, not made in CAS) became the 16th Grand Saturnian the rules were relaxed by slow degrees. Deselections and new disciples are now a thing of the past, the cult breeds its own membership, and the lodge is turning into something more like a regular household. But the disciples who were evicted have spread their genes far and wide - about two thirds of the neighbourhood population can be considered 'Sub-Saturnians', descended from evictees, and that percentage is set to grow higher still.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Nov 2016 at 5:21 AM
I've considered making a cult, but never got around to it. Probably would have nothing electric aside from a fridge and stove and a giant farm and trying for babies everyime and prisoner tokens (so they don't run loose on community lots).

One of my IRC friends (who actually does play the Sims) told me he once made a supernatural commune and it was something of a disaster.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 6:35 AM
Me! Oh, I know I've talked about this before, but I play an alien cult in Strangetown. They don't think of themselves as a cult, of course, they're just bringing the greater wisdom and improved natures of aliens to an unenlightened simworld. Good old Glarn Curious started the cult, after he met PT9 and got pregnant. In theory the hierarchy is full-blooded alien, half-alien, sim bio-parent of alien. In practice, PT9, the nominal leader, is much too befuddled by sims to lead anything, and so Pascal is functioning as the leader. Johnny Smith is the heir apparent, of course, but Pascal feels he's better suited. Vidcund rather thinks he would make the best choice, being less emotional than his brother. Since women can't as a general rule get alien-pregnant (Jenny being the exception) the group is dominated by the men. Neither Lola nor Chloe wants anything to do with it--Glabe had a share in bringing them up: before Glarn met and married Kitty Glabe lived with his family--and she didn't think much of her brother's growing craziness. Stella Terrano, as a full-bloded female alien, has the potential to upset the whole applecart and possibly turn it into a matriarchy, as the aliens social system is. Since the sim-government forces everyone known to have alien ancestry to live in Strangetown, and the cult has open doors to the often impoverished and befuddled new fathers of hybrids, they really don't have a recruiting drive as such. They're also the foster/adoptive families of last resort for otherwise unplaceable children, and they never say no to the social worker when she calls and asks them to take a young sim in.
I decided recently that aliens always naturally come as twins, as in Lola and Chloe and Dina and Nins, but sim-females are very incompatible with alien biology, which is why a) the aliens use male sims and b) Johnny and Jill don't have twins or more siblings unlike their family sim parents' natural inclinations, and c) PT9 and Stella's twins are obviously off doing their alien things.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 10:10 AM
I have not really done that yet, but when I do, I will first of all dress them alike; make them live in a separate hood and make some rules for them.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 4:10 PM
I expect I'll make a cult when I finally get someone to the top of the paranormal career, which hasn't been a priority. So the rules of the cult would depend on the personality and interests of the person who did that. At the moment, the highest paranormalist in Drama Acres is notorious homewrecker Georgette Skirt, who would undoubtedly found a free-love cult that regarded matrimony as an economic arrangement having nothing to do with who woohooed who. (I'm afraid she has a bit of a thing for married men...)

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#11 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 4:35 PM
If I would start a could (which I might do at some point) it would have human sacrifice, all the cool cults have human sacrifice. Or maybe something like gladiatorial matches where the loser (or the victor? could go either way depending on the cult) gets sacrificed. It would be fun hahahaha

....oh...wait...we are talking about what we would do with our own cult in Sims 2...whoops....well, the answer is still the same.

They could worship the Cow Plant.
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 12:00 AM
Which is what I totally forgot in my Kine Society! The Cow Plant!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#13 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 12:20 AM
I modded it so if you open the murphy bed in a bad mood, you die.
Therefore, I will make a cult about the all powerful murphy bed.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 3:40 AM
@Jo: You could have them all live together in one house with some set rules. Almightyhat has tweaked the religion mod by Chris Hatch. You would probably want one sim who is at the top of the paranormal career.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking, although I'll have to have another look at Hat's tweak of Hatch's religion mod -- haven't looked at it for awhile. Also, I'd forgotten about Cult Leader being at the top of the paranormal career, thanks for reminding me!

@ stitching: New cult members were recruited by making friends with the cult leader. He'd go to a community lot and chat about grilled cheese with either playables I wanted to have join the cult or with random townies. If the first "talk about grilled cheese" was accepted, he'd continue trying to make friends and eventually he'd ask them to move in. They'd then become obsessed with grilled cheese and it dominated their lives - to the point that most cult members quit their jobs and spent all their time with the cult.
This is helpful -- I wasn't sure how new members would be recruited, but your method is perfect, and the growing obsession dominating their lives seems to be true to the idea of cults.

@Dezzyboo: I'm not familiar with PSP, but I like the sounds of your Kine Society, and I definitely think you need the cowplant! Lol!

@frenchyxo22: Wow! Your Utah City and Utah Springs hoods/cult are very detailed! It would be interesting to hear more about how these actually play out -- lots of drama, I bet!

@saturnian: Sounds like you have some really interesting ideas here, Saturnian, and interesting to hear how the Recent Order of Saturnius gradually evolved as you played through -- 150 days - wow!

@ihatemandatoryregister: I like the idea of prisoner tokens - that could work amazingly well for a cult! The supernaturals idea ties in with the paranormal career too, maybe - wonder what kind of disaster occurred with your friend's commune?!

@Sunbee: The aliens in Sims 2 really are a no-brainer for a cult, aren't they!?! Excellent ideas you've developed in Strangetown!

@Justpetro: I will first of all dress them alike; make them live in a separate hood and make some rules for them. These are really good ideas too, although I think I will just keep them on a lot in my main hood (I don't really play with sub-hoods) partly because I want the cult to be part of the neighbourhood story line.

@Penni: I expect I'll make a cult when I finally get someone to the top of the paranormal career, which hasn't been a priority. So the rules of the cult would depend on the personality and interests of the person who did that.
Makes sense. I've never had a sim get to the top of the paranormal career - likely because up to now, I haven't been terribly interested in playing through that particular career. But, a sim who gets to that point would no doubt have a great deal of charisma, drawing more sims into the circle of influence, and so his or her personality/interests would definitely dominate as he/she became the cult leader. Haha! I suspect that a lot of cults started out as free-love cults and then used political/religious "ideals" as a front for unbridled woo-hooing.

@Orphalesion: Hmmm, sacrifice, eh? I guess it depends on how serious the cult gets and which direction the cult leader takes it. The gladiator matches with the loser getting sacrificed sounds like the Mayans!

@alljoj: Yikes! I have a murphy bed in my house!!!

The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 4:09 AM
I plan on starting a cult about aliens. Where the main focus is to have at least one abduction per family. Or maybe two if you count the males having one as well
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 6:32 AM
A subhood is part of the main hood A cult will work in the main hood too - I tend to make subhoods for all kinds of groups (the rich, the poor, the farming community, etc).
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 9:16 PM
Justpetro I guess I was thinking of "attached" hoods when I think of sub-hoods - like shopping districts or university districts. I find the loading screens tedious, so I tend to play one medium-largish hood and have various areas within it - like villages and a market town, farming areas, etc. So my cult will be headquartered in a commune-type lot, likely in a slightly isolated part of the general hood (for privacy from prying eyes, dontcha know!)

Scholar
#18 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 10:53 PM
Well the Kine Society worship...cows basically in the Sims 2 for PSP you have to perform tasks to join so I have rules for my Sims on order to join. Like befriending 3 members, learning Tai Chi and Slap Dancing. If you become a member, modest dress and you can have a farm but must have cows in the farm or a cow plant. In the city you must have a cow painting. They are very strict.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 11:24 PM
I'd always liked the idea of vampires being an inherent cult-much like Vampire Lestat and his forays into the local Parisian vampire clan.

I mean, they all share certain rituals, and they all sort of know them by heart.

Anne Rice was good at writing about this stuff. So was L. Ron Hubbard.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 11:50 PM
Well, there were reasons for that!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)