Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 7:01 PM Last edited by lukas11xxf : 30th Nov 2016 at 8:00 PM.
Default The Sims 2 - What things you could have or would change if/as a dev?
- Add all objects from The Sims, #3 and #4 game itteration as well.
- Phobia system of some sort.
- Option to give a duplicate key to a sim you want access a specific door regardless how it is locked.
- Sims working in a npc service career (and working their way up of course) and appearing one when not played (in another household, that sim arrives and goes do the chores as a maid).
- Intuitive ticket machine system, so I can choose, via clicking an interaction, one from the three options it should charge for sims doing activities in: the room it is placed at, the building, or specifying what objects they are charge to be used upon in the list window box prompt.
- Story Progression and its unlimited options on how you wanna set it up (should unplayable sims automously become a certain specified life state, get married, moved in, ect.)
- Implant Semi Open World.
- - I would want for there to be an option to assign owned community lots working hours and closing through the business open-close sign, as well hours for your employees to show up and when to leave work.
- With the addition of that, I would have made the employees career change to an actual actual job, instead of setting up and default hours.
-- E.g. If I have an npc employee, Tom, as a sales person in my Jim's business lot, when I switch to playing Tom's household, I expect to see in the job's listed as "Employee (Sales Person)" and his works hours being set to mine (9 pm. to 5 am., monday, wensday, friday, but 10 pm. to 3 am. being saturday).
- Customizable bottom and above celling floor titles.
- Lot owner assigning autonomous task (restock, be cashier, be stylist, ect.)
- Therapist NPC service - enrolls new wants&fears to those sims who have red aspiration bar or backfires, giving aspiration failure if it's not red.
- Sims reaching certain career level should unlock special interactions or traits to them that would be relative to their career (e.g. law enforcement playable sim beating the crap of burglar).
- Downtown or Business Distric (latter would fit better I think) has bus replaced over taxi, along with the telephone booth with the bus stop and a bench.

*This are the stuff I can think of right now, but I'm sure I have hunders and thousands of ideas right now, lol).
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 7:21 PM
I really like where TS4 is going with the trans-friendly CAS. So, a trans-friendly CAS.

Widescreen fix for the CAS interface. Because the world shifted to 16:9 ratio screens, like, as soon as TS2 came out.

Horses, I love animals. The more the merrier.

Most definitely a semi-open world, perhaps, TS4 style. But with an actual map of the world when in map view, not the symbolic one.

If I want a Sim not to exist in the hood anymore, I want to feel safe when deleting it! That is, to make deleting Sims and graves a safe action.

Add option for sliders. The most urgent one is to bring eyebrows closer together. It's just so weird once you realize all Sims have equal spacing between eyebrows. Also, the sliders are one of key aspects why I keep running back to TS4 - it's because not every Sim in TS4 fits into one of the three TS2 categories of fitness level (lean, lean with a bit of abs showing, plum).

Make a Sim supernatural right from CAS!

Different voices to Sims!

Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 7:32 PM
NO OPEN WORLD! NO OPEN WORLD!

I like Sims 2 gameplay exactly like it is. What I would prefer to all that is, a greater degree of automated customizability at neighborhood creation. You'd click the "add neighborhood" option and get a checklist, even before you selected a map:
Standard townies and NPCs Y/N
- Create your own?
- Randomize as needed?
List of bin families, Y/N for each.
Social group townies Y/N
Townie respawning Y/N

Think of the time and grief that could be saved, if we didn't have to fiddle with empty templates, AGS, mods, etc. to get our hoods as empty or full as we wanted them. And this could have been done, I think, without a lot of serious fiddling with the code. Making sims deleteable without causing corruption would be a big deal. This would not.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 7:48 PM
I agree with Peni, no open world and yes to customizable Hoods!

I would also like a simple financial system with interest bearing loans and interest earning savings accounts. New sims would come out of CAS with random funds representing their previous life earnings (say, 1-10K, not 20K) and they would have to borrow money to buy a house.

I would like to be able to choose the outfits my sims age up into, and to be able to edit NPC uniforms in game. This would save a lot of frustration when playing a themed game.
Theorist
#5 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 7:48 PM
The one and only way I would be alright with an "Open World" would be if it basically worked like community lots right now. Basically you play a family and outside you have all those other sims run around doing random stuff. You then play a different family for a bit and when you return to the first family they are still at the exact same place, in the exact same time, doing the exact same things as when you've left them Also no collectables please, and if there are some, then make them sensible stuff, not diamonds that just lie around suburbia. And NO Rabbit holes. Also no pregnant Sims that pull bicycles out of their assess and ride to the hospital while the are in labour.
The sims are my virtual dolls, and I like my toys to be in the place I left them at when I return to them.

Things I'd change?

I want Peni's suggestion for townie customization, It'd be dreamy.
And yeah, fix the code so that it isn't as easy to corrupt neighbourhoods.
CAS and some of the build tools from Sims 4.
The way supernaturals worked in Sims 3 and the ability to create them form the get go with one exception: I don't need every Ghost be playable, I don't need every potrait in the family tree to turn into a ghost and I don't want my Sim to have to break up with their deceased spouse before marrying a new one (seriously WTF?!)
More genetic hair colours (Pale Blonde, Golden Blonde, Dark Blonde, Light Brown, Medium Brown, Dark Brown, Black, Redd-Blonde, Ginger, Auburn) and the posibility for them to work like skin tones (mixing)
Shoes and accessories to be selected independently from the overal outfit.
Better yet, being able to choose the layers of an outfit (t-shirts, jackets etc) independently.
Hats and hair decorations independent from hairstyle.
Inventor
#6 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lukas11xxf
- Option to give a duplicate key to a sim you want access a specific door regardless how it is locked.

There's this mod:
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=3686
Okay, a given, it only works on a certain door, but it is out there.
Alchemist
#7 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 8:18 PM
I'd do away with loading screens.
90% of build/buy/CAS mode would be in removable packages. That way people could truly default their game without having to load tons of things they aren't going to use, along with CC.
Make supernatural Sims into a true life-state, available from birth. My TS3 toddler vampire is always "sucking blood" from his stuffed toy. It's the cutest animation in the world, and I wish it wasn't wasted on that weird pudding baby.
Sims 4 style story progression (with the option to turn it off)
The option to move Sims from world to world
Sims 4 style lamps (the option to change a room's lighting to cool or warm, etc.).
Active careers, like Sims 4 has, but with the flexibility of OFB.
Body Shape sliders/Trans-friendly CAS
Lot Traits from Sims 4
True city-style shops with apartments upstairs. Someone made a mod, and it's great, but non residents can't visit the apartment lot stores.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 9:45 PM
I think a semi open world could work if done carefully, the way Skyrim has it set up. Your character is free to roam but must load up his own house. So why not a sim loading up their own lot but also free to walk around the world. This still means you fully control each lot but also means they could walk to parks, shops or another sims house. To enter they would need to load the other sims lot or shop. If you do away with loading screens you run into sims doing things without you, a game that runs very slowly because the whole thing is being rendered at once and traffic jams like what the sims 3 has now. With sims 3 you would go to a place but everything would be grey or invisible and you sit and wait for it to all 'come to life' It's still a loading screen, even if people pretend its not, For some people that only lasted a few seconds which is fine for them but for others that can last for minutes. The other issue with a fully open world is rabbit holes, again it's to do with the whole game being rendered is too much work for most computers. You can't have fully open, plus open places like shops with lots of sims, not unless you own a super computer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 9:53 PM
A more expansive and customizable personality option, rather like combining the Sims 2 personality with Sims 3 custom traits.

Oh-and swappable shoes without having to change clothes!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 9:59 PM
Ban the pesky lot imposter, ugh
Forum Resident
#11 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 10:11 PM
There are lots of ideas above that I like and would include if I were a developer.

One thing I would do differently is community lots. In Sims 3 and 4, the type of community lot determines what sorts of sims (the traits they have or ages) are drawn to the lot and the types of activities that sims on the lot are pushed to do. Some lots also have specific skill boosts or other benefits, but that's restricted by lot type in Sims 3 and lot traits in 4, and the types of lots are restricted to those imagined by the developers. I'd rather have a generic community lot, and then check boxes or radio buttons in some sort of lot control panel so that players could customize the lot the way they want - players could pick the sims that visit the lots they build, what activities are pushed, and any perks for being on the lot.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Nov 2016 at 10:21 PM
I would be perfectly content with a neighborhood kinda like TS4 - as in not completely limited to the confines of the home lot, and a nice environment for pictures - but with the almost exact playability and setup of TS2. So basically a TS2 neighborhood where sims could go just a little bit outside their lot, in nice surroundings. This would solve about 99% of my problems when photoshooting with the neighborhood in the background. The neighborhood map should be based on either TS2 or TS3. The semi-open world of TS4 sort of works in theory, (poor execution, though), and while it would have been nice to have a somewhat open neighborhood like in TS3, it goes in the way of playability in so many ways. Plus, the rabbit holes ruined everything.

I would also be content with a slightly modified TS2 way of handling shops and other community lots. Load up the lot, and actually play inside it - or being able to choose the rabbit hole method with an option for ordering wares on the web and auto-deliver, for those lazy enough to not want to visit shops. Much better to have it two ways, so you satisfy everyone. Would also be nice to have things like schools, hospitals, fire- and police stations, and various other buildings you could either palce or build yourself - and them working not only with a sim working there, but as buildings you can visit any time, and modify as you like - while still being able to use the rabbit hole method, so you don't have to follow htem to work or school every day. For hospitals, it would be nice if you could send sims there if they were sick, so they can be treated (also optional via rabbit hole method). Not just being able to work as a doctor, but use the building for other things. Fire stations could have optional "fire safety days" for kids, and you could be able to set up various government opportunities and so forth - all optional, of course. TS3 and TS4 are both very limited, since you're almost forced to keep track of work progress, and the work places have no other function than being a workplace (or places to give birth, either by rabbit hole or by auto function). Parks with extra functions (like a football/soccer field, picnics, tree climbing, tree hut building, and various other activities for sims to do) would also be nice.

Essentially, I'd like a game based on TS2 - with optional activities, instead of the increasingly annoying "start this action and get bombarded with things you have to do for A to come about, then B, then C, and so forth..." like collectables or silly small tasks that are only there to annoy and spend time you'd rather have your simmies spend on other things. They're fun for a short while, until you've done them 20 times and realize it's the same tasks over and over again. TS2 does have a few, but they're not really mandatory, so they're fine.

Then there are smaller things like more stuff for babies and toddlers, and being able to travel with them (things like car seats and strollers), plus a whole list of other fun things I'd like to see.

For a new sims game, I'd like it to be a sandbox again, like TS2 is. A place where the player is the boss, not the game.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 1:12 AM
First thing would to be make neighborhoods less aspodely and corruption-prone. Make it more compatible with newer systems. 4GB patch. After that, slightly update the graphics - mostly lighting, shaders and textures. Less crappy looking lot impostors. Townie/family bin customization. Combine the zodiac personality with Sims 3 traits (which felt rather bare on their own). Storage options like TS3. More badges/hidden skills (e.g. writing, visual arts, and music). Torn on adding moodlets and open world - they could work but feel too distinctly Sims 3-ish. Visiting other peoples' houses though.

On special request from my friend: make footwear separate from bottoms. And proper furries. (He's weird.)

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#14 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 2:56 AM
Quote:
The Sims 2 - What things you could have or would change if/as a dev?

Fix it that no matter what the player does it will not corrupt the game.
Rework the game to 64bit so it can use all the extra ram you have in your computer.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 3:32 AM
I wish it were possible to delete Sims in-game without corrupting files galore. This is one of the few things that The Sims 4 holds the edge on. I agree with marka, there are two many risks of corruption that one encounters simply when playing a vanilla game.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 6:18 AM
Make sure that the game is great enough so that players will keep on playing it long after they are supposed to (oh, wait....
Keeping the support for the game up forever!

Agree with: corruption (although my vanilla hood made it for four and a half years, no obvious problems, it just vanished in the end).
Definitely like the 64bit idea too!
No open world, no story progression, no rabbit holes - I don't like any of those.
Scholar
#17 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 7:19 AM
I want different body sizes the most for ts2...I think it's weird to have an entire world full of lean people. Sometimes I want overweight people in my game and that doesn't mean just the belly...i like diversity...bigger boobs...wider shoulders...wider hips...thicker neck etc.
Theorist
#18 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
No open world, no story progression, no rabbit holes - I don't like any of those.

I still can't understand how people can accept Rabbit Holes... or say Sims 3 had "features" like Prom when all you really did was watch your stoned looking Sim waddle to the "school" Rabbit Hole and disappear into it for a few in-game hours. Wooo. Fun
Theorist
#19 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 11:07 AM
^ Well, that's why I'm more into semi-open worlds. The concept of having your Sim roam freely around the neighborhood, walk down the road, hike through the forest... but all of the surrounding lots would still be imposters (of course, much more pretty looking...), and you'd have to click on them and select Load to enter the lot. The entire neighborhood would still be open, it's just, focus would've been shifted from your home lot to the lot your Sim's now visiting.

And yeah, I'm having a bit of inner struggle over whether I'm pro or con story progression. I'd like to have a hood living on its own - personally it's just too much work for me to handle so many Sims by myself -, but if I wish to change the active family, the one I'm loading should be the way I left it, not with three new children, everyone's mood in red and grandpa having Grim Reaper over for the night.
Theorist
#20 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 11:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
^ Well, that's why I'm more into semi-open worlds. The concept of having your Sim roam freely around the neighborhood, walk down the road, hike through the forest... but all of the surrounding lots would still be imposters (of course, much more pretty looking...), and you'd have to click on them and select Load to enter the lot. The entire neighborhood would still be open, it's just, focus would've been shifted from your home lot to the lot your Sim's now visiting.

And yeah, I'm having a bit of inner struggle over whether I'm pro or con story progression. I'd like to have a hood living on its own - personally it's just too much work for me to handle so many Sims by myself -, but if I wish to change the active family, the one I'm loading should be the way I left it, not with three new children, everyone's mood in red and grandpa having Grim Reaper over for the night.

I can get behind that version of an open world

On Story Progression, I'm completely against it. I don't do legacy Challenges (only multi household Chellenges) but I'd be all for an OPTIONAL Story progression. Just a box in Game Option were you can decide whether the other families advance on their own or whether they are in the exact same position you've left them.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 11:55 AM
I do not want to have my Sim wake up to find out his girlfriend/best friend/worst enemy/whatever's family has moved away during the night If I want them out of the game, I think, as a player supposedly in control, the choice should be mine and mine alone - not for some electronic data bites to decide what happens in my hood.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I still can't understand how people can accept Rabbit Holes... or say Sims 3 had "features" like Prom when all you really did was watch your stoned looking Sim waddle to the "school" Rabbit Hole and disappear into it for a few in-game hours. Wooo. Fun

If there are rabbit holes, they should be optional, in being able to choose whether you want to follow the sim or not (kinda like the special jobs in TS4/TS3 - you don't have to follow them to work, but you can if you want). But sims just 'disappearing into a hole' for 90% of activities for a set time is boring to watch.
Theorist
#23 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If there are rabbit holes, they should be optional, in being able to choose whether you want to follow the sim or not (kinda like the special jobs in TS4/TS3 - you don't have to follow them to work, but you can if you want). But sims just 'disappearing into a hole' for 90% of activities for a set time is boring to watch.

Oh yeah I don't need to follow my Sims to work or school. That's why I prefer their work places and schools to be "in Sim City", the larger, off screen city your neighborhoods are, supposedly part of. But stuff like grocery stores, spas, restaurants, those things just shouldn't be rabbit holes.

I just mentioned prom because a friend once told me that your sims can go to prom night in Sims 3 generations, but when she showed me it turned out that they really just changed into their formal outfits before disappear into the "school" rabbit hole., which then produced some lame pop up messages about what was "supposedly" going on inside. That's no feature, that's a bad joke.
Test Subject
#24 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 5:39 PM Last edited by jacksonville : 25th Nov 2016 at 6:10 PM.
I'd allow sims to jump over small objects
Alchemist
#25 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 5:45 PM
I don't think rabbit holes have to be a part of an open world. Combine the open world with a destination chooser pop up and let the place your sims are going to load while they travel there.
Page 1 of 4