Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 7:07 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 28th Nov 2016 at 7:42 PM.
Default Building Lots - Regarding the two tile edges
It's not exactly a WCIF thread, so I find this section more suitable than the help subforum as it's not a technical question and I don't plan to upload anything. Just asking about general building opinions, I'm still a newbie in this area.

At least not what I'm aware of, you can't switching families in apartments from lot view, so usually I play CC 2x1 lots that acts like apartments from distant, but something I often get annoyed by is that you cannot use the outer 2 tiles of a lot. I heard you can change the lot size with the lot adjuster, but I'm not a big fan of that option and wondering are there any other IN GAME ways to get building assess to the remaining tiles of a lot? ( I'm not quiet sure why you can't use the edges in the first place).

Usually I build my lots like this (shown in the spoiler), using bushes and CC rocks to make it look like a fence instead, but from neighborhood view it looks a bit odd...:Err... Tiny lots grouped together its kind of reminds meof the monopole game, (You know the colored houses you use when buying properties in the game), for some reason....

Is there any other alternatives such as hacks/fixes to make the lots appear closer together other than the Lot Adjuster?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 7:18 PM
You can place normal fencing around the edges.
With move_objects on you can place floor tiles and objects in normally unuseable areas. This is how you get street lamps between the sidewalk and the curb, for example. You could experiment with that, see what exactly it lets you place there and if any of them reduce the problem for you.
For future reference, the game in question is Monopoly.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 28th Nov 2016 at 7:34 PM.
Ooops. I spelled based on it swedish pronunciation.

I know you can use regulare fenches and move-object but that exactly make the houses closer together in neighborhood view, unless it exist very high CC fences to use, which I haven't look up yet. I saw a Community lot download where the user managed to have the houses arranged exactly next to each other, but I think she/he used the lot adjuster. Not sure, as I don't remember the users name.

EDIT: This is the main idea I got inspiration from but using seperate lots instead: Picture Link . Although, I might need to do these kinds instead. Only that I don't find it visually pleasing in game due that the roads in the hood terrain I play are quiet far apart make it a bit funny when decorating the area.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 8:14 PM
Decorative wall-object and decorative roof-object on the edge could mimic how it's done with lot adjuster. Won't make the space usable, but it could look right.

I don't get why you won't just use the Lot Adjustor when it exists, is easy to use and does exactly what you want, but to each their own.

I must ask though, how do you go with the Swedish pronounciation and get an E on the end, when we call it Monopol? :O Is it one of those ostbågar/ostkrokar-situations where some part of the country has some other name?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 8:38 PM
Uh oh. Forgot there are swedish simmers who lurks around here too.
Well, I tends to pronouce it "Mono-PÅL", but since English don't use the last swedish syllabies so I wrote "POLE" instead. I'm from Östergötland but I was born with late developed speech so I probably not the best one to answer that.

.... and sorry for everyone else, off topic.
EDIT: Seems like MTS2 sometimes don't support foreign syllabies (need to edit it again).

EDIT 2: I just don't like using programs that used outside the game but don't exactly know why TBH. Probably because I use the "forbidden to talk on here" version of the game. Similare to Ulimate collection, It seems some programs are a bit "finicky" with different game versions. I think the Anygame starter is a bit wonky with non-CD versions so I always avoided using them.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 8:43 PM
Ooooh. That makes a lot of sense, actually. You translated your Swedish pronounciation. I like it

Theorist
#7 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 8:44 PM
Just keep in mind that even with the Lot Adjuster you will always have a 1 tile space in each lot between the two for two reasons. First is that it won't adjust if there is anything 'blocking' any of the tiles to be removed. I don't think it would effect it for addin tiles, but can't say since I've not added as of yet. The second is that it also depends on what lot use to adjust as you have to always add or remove in multiples of 10 (5 right and 5 left as an example).

I too wanted to get rid of that 1 tile space. Since Mootlida couldn't find a way to do it, I don't think it can be done, however if someone could find a way it would be totally awesome :D
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 8:51 PM
Hmmm... If it only remove one of the two tiles, I don't think the Lot Adjuster would do any big difference in the end.

Another reason I loathe the tile edges is that my sims always try to go around the entire house to get to opposite side because stupid walk routes. I'm not sure if its visible but the green fence bushes (forgot what they're called atm), does help with that problem.

EDIT:
I ended up downloading some fences. When I was a kid, we lived in an area where the building were closely together but separated by tall backyard/garden fences. Got inspiration when I saw this picture on google. (Not how I lived though...), but placing them in the front and on the edges of the lot. If there were like the two floor poles and doors, that would be better.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 9:11 PM
Yes, the Lot Adjuster can't get it closer than to the edge of the tile. If I recall correctly that's because the edge is the same space on both lots, and that's why there can't be a wall on it because it belongs to both, or something such.

But you can have a wall that ends on the edge of the lot if you use the Lot Adjuster. That's how people make it seem like lots are connected, the roof goes to the edge and there's one piece of wall ending at the edge from both sides. Hard to explain in words, check out Mootilda's Moo Mews to see how it's done. It might look a tad strange when playing the lot, but it looks good from neighbourhood view.

And no, the Lot Adjuster can't remove just the 1 tile. The game requires lot sizes to be even 10s, there's nothing you can change about that. If you know you want to build a house that uses the 1 tile from the edge approach, you have to build it on a lot that's 10 tiles larger than what you want, and then shrink the lot with Lot Adjuster.

Again, it's your decision, but AGS and Lot Adjuster are two different things. AGS is more finicky because it deals with installation files, and those are what differs between the different versions. Lot Adjuster just reads your neighbourhood files, and those are no different than the rest. If you use UC they could be in a different location, but you can work around that easily. I wouldn't rule out all programs just because one is finicky. Mootilda knew what she was about.

Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 9:18 PM
Maybe I missread it, but I heard that Non-CD and UC crashes (as in non-compatible) when using some of more complex programs. As I use a very OLD hacked version (which use No-CD's), I avoided them because I'm not sure if they would work and because Piracy is sort of a taboo here, I avoided to ask more detailed about it.

As for installation files, I've never had any problem finding them. I was a bit afraid of getting Windows 10 because many users had problem using Sims 2 on it, but it was piece of cake to get TS2 work on it, for me. Fortunately, I'm a technical and fast learning person. But game compatibility is not something I like to mess with otherwise. (I.E. My game refuse to go higher than 800px resolution but I've never been bothered by it).
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 9:26 PM
Why assume they won't work, why not give it a go? Worst thing that happens is that it doesn't work, and that just means you're in the same situation as before. Seems a shame to miss out on all of it, when many of them do work fine. Mootilda had no love of SecuROM, so it would surprise me greatly if using no-cd would pose a problem.

Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 9:49 PM
Hey, By fiddling with move-object, columns and roof, I was able to minimize the distant between the lots. :lovestruc:

I just added floor and columns around the house (second level) and then added a roof manually and then removed the columns/floor. Adding the roof otherwise, the game just tell you it cannot handle the weight. The roof cover everything except the remaining 1 tile. It's probably not the most attractive house (funny roof), but from neighborhood view, it does look a bit better: (Added only one pic so Im not sure if spoilers is necessary).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 10:16 PM
Plenty of us use a no cd mod, although I guess we shouldn't really mention it on here. I do because I don't want my disks scratched, thanks very much.

Lot adjuster works fine for me. You can trust anything made by Mootilda, she is the reason people keep their hoods going for years. You should also use her Hood Checker and her Clean Installer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 10:18 PM
I use Hood Checker and Clean Installer because I didn't read anything that said no-cd's weren't compatible. Still because you still cannot use the last tile, I just leave the lots as they are, size wise. :P
Theorist
#15 Old 29th Nov 2016 at 5:19 PM
You could also use different trees or other decor on each lot, instead of them being identical. Stick an empty lot between random houses and add trees, flowers, a pond or anything else to break up the view. Change the exterior of each to a different color or style and a different roof style per lot. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 7:29 AM
I use UC and use a no-cd anyway. I also own most of the game on discs. I thought no-cds were legal as long as you legally own it and are not using the no-cd to circumvent any requirement to use on only one system at a time? *is confused* Like it's perfectly fine to photocopy music as long as you have an original you are not using for each copy you are--same principle.

Anyway, Lot Adjuster and Hood Replacer and Hood Checker all work just fine with UC. They know where to look for neighborhoods and that's the same. Any Game Starter can't work because UC has the registry set up differently or some such. I read all about it once, because I'm okay with modifying the registry on my computer (worst case, reinstall Windows) but it was AGS that would have to be rewritten . . .

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Field Researcher
#17 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 11:43 AM
I'd really encourage you to give the LotAdjuster a try. It's much easier to use than it first seems -- just try it in a test hood, so if you mess up something, well, that's no biggie. I've now made my own British Victorian terraces (row houses), and it's fantastic.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
At least not what I'm aware of, you can't switching families in apartments from lot view, so usually I play CC 2x1 lots that acts like apartments from distant, but something I often get annoyed by is that you cannot use the outer 2 tiles of a lot. I heard you can change the lot size with the lot adjuster, but I'm not a big fan of that option and wondering are there any other IN GAME ways to get building assess to the remaining tiles of a lot? ( I'm not quiet sure why you can't use the edges in the first place).

it's to do with placing lots side by side - we get around that by using completely flat lots but it's an issue if you don't.
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
Just keep in mind that even with the Lot Adjuster you will always have a 1 tile space in each lot between the two for two reasons. First is that it won't adjust if there is anything 'blocking' any of the tiles to be removed. I don't think it would effect it for addin tiles, but can't say since I've not added as of yet. The second is that it also depends on what lot use to adjust as you have to always add or remove in multiples of 10 (5 right and 5 left as an example).

I too wanted to get rid of that 1 tile space. Since Mootlida couldn't find a way to do it, I don't think it can be done, however if someone could find a way it would be totally awesome :D

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Yes, the Lot Adjuster can't get it closer than to the edge of the tile. If I recall correctly that's because the edge is the same space on both lots, and that's why there can't be a wall on it because it belongs to both, or something such.

Not quite in either case - in fact, early versions of the Lot Adjuster did allow you to build in the last space at the edge (I still have a copy of one of the early versions which I use occasionally) but Moo removed it because she couldn't guarantee its stability. So it's definitely doable. I never had a problem with instability but some people did. I have a number of lots built right up to the edge in Little Carping.

With the newer versions, you can still give the impression of the lots joining because the LA will allow you to build a wall into the final square as long as it is perpendicular (at right-angles) to the edge of the lot. The technique in this case is to build the main wall one square in from the edge and then run the sides coming into the end wall onto the final tile. When you place lots side by side with this technique the outer wall is apparently continuous while the actual space enclosed is one tile in on each side. I actually tend to prefer this arrangement nowadays especially for building British-style terrace houses (small row houses I think you call them in the US). This is because the interior of the house is 8 tiles wide which is just wide enough and enough of a challenge to build a convincing terrace. The older versions I have at 10 tiles wide are really proportionally too big for this type of home. I'll fire up the game and post some pictures later if you like to show you what I mean.

You can also do similar things with roofs to give the impression of a single long roof over several lots. I did a mini version of this and the wall technique in Polgannon over a short run of shops on the High Street (if you have it, you can have a look) but I've done it over half a dozen lots at a time. The Lot Adjuster really does bring a lot of new possible build features which is one of the reasons I really like it - along with Moo's Grid Adjuster which is another excellent piece of kit.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#19 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 6:02 PM
Very interesting. I'm happy to stay one tile from the edge, but either way it's interesting to know it was doable at one point

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 9:10 PM
@maxon are the semi-detached houses the same width as full terrace houses? I am thinking they are. My grandparents lived on one side and my aunt and uncle on the other with a shared garden. It was 3 stories high with the tiniest narrow stairs going up to the attic. I've often thought of building it, except I only ever saw it the three times we stayed with them in the UK. I haven't seen anything like it over here.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~