Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th May 2019 at 10:01 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Gamedata - Shared - Packages - Which do I have to edit?
Hello everyone!
I want to make some base game objects and some CAS items hidden. For other EPs and SPs it's not a big deal, because there is only one package file. But in the Base Game Folder there are 6.
It seems like in DeltaBuild0 and FullBuild0 are objects and cas items. But in Fullbuild are much more (all of the objects and cas?) and in Delta build are also some items but a lot less than in fullbuild.
But they are duplicates. In deltabuild I found the career outfits but also in fullbuild. Which one do I have to edit? Or both? I hope my problem is understandable. Thank you in advance (:
(p.s. I've already made backups )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th May 2019 at 1:12 PM
You'll want to create a default replacement package using the resources from the FullBuild files. I think you need to double check that your GUID codes on the replacement files are identical to the original ones in the FullBuild.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2019 at 1:28 PM
Thank you for answering (:
Isn't it easier to hide the objects directly in fullbuild than making an extra default package? I already did that for all stuff packs and when I checked in game all objects and cas are hidden and the game seems to run fine.
But for some reason the fountains are still unhidden, even though I edited the OBJD. Fireplaces are namend CFIR, fences are namend CFEN, is there another name for fountains?
Site Helper
#4 Old 13th May 2019 at 1:04 AM
If you make an error while directly editing a game file, the solution is to reinstall. If you make an error while editing a copy of the game file, the solution is to delete the edited file and make a new copy. It's safer to edit a copy of the files and keep the originals untouched. When you edit the original file and it works, it works beautifully. When it doesn't work, it's a complete disaster.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th May 2019 at 1:35 PM
Ah, so it's just a better-be-safe-than-sorry-thing. I've already made backups before I edited anything, so in case the game explodes, I am able to put the original files back^^ Thank you for your answers, but just to understand correctly: If I want to edit anything from the basegame, I have to edit ONLY the fullbuild0 and leave the others untouched?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th May 2019 at 6:38 AM
I just want to give an update:
I edited almost all original EP (i have still IP and ITF to work on) and all SP packages - which took me at least 2 weeks, just to find out, that it didn't work or only partially - some cas items were hidden/recategorized as I wanted it to, some not, even though I worked on them.... So I tried it with exporting all edited resources into a new opened package file and put it into my mods folder - works perfectly fine.
I have no idea why this works, because I don't understand very much about those things. Maybe someone can explain, why editing the original didn't work that well but making an override works perfectly? Is it because the mod has a higher priority?
I am just so happy right now that my work wasn't in vain (:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th May 2019 at 6:49 AM
Thank you, I've never heard of this before^^ But I don't need it anymore, I already made all changes to cas-items where I wanted to^^ now I have to go through the objd's which isn't a big deal, because I did the hard work the last two weeks^^ It will take a couple of hours, but that's it (:
But I still don't know why overrides are working and editing the original files cause problems... nobody knows either? I mean, it doesn't really matter anymore, I am just curious :D
Site Helper
#9 Old 25th May 2019 at 5:11 PM
Well, Mods do have a higher priority than game files. (as you might expect, because otherwise a mod that prevents teens from being arrested for a curfew violation for stepping off the lot while taking out the trash would run into the game file that specifies that teens leaving the lot are breaking curfew, and the mod would not work.)
(And the "Overrides" folder is for the mods that need to be loaded with a high enough priority to affect another mod. (And most of them don't need that, which is why it generally stays empty.) What you are making is a hider mod, not an Override if putting it in the Mods folder worked.

But I think that the reason you haven't gotten an answer is because you have taken the time to prove that editing the actual game files is probably not the best solution, not only for safety, but also for efficiency. Thank you for proving that there is a second good reason to just edit a copy of the game files and not the originals. Most of us learned a long time ago that messing up while editing game files is not good, so we don't do that. (some of us even learned the hard way.) And since you seemed to have answered your own question, we left it alone.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook