Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 1:34 PM
Default The Ottomas Family-Who would you 'delete'?
I am starting Riverblossom Hills and would like to play the Ottomas family. However, I don't want the infant (been there, done that and all the baby patience has been all used up) . I would like to 'remove' it. Before, I just took the mother and baby and deleted them both, but that was another neighborhood with a different intent. This time I would like to play a more proper game. Who would you 'delete' with the baby -the mother, the dad, or the grandmother, and why? I know the dad is excessively messy, the grandmother is
so ugly, but I know nothing about the mother.
Or, is there any other way to safely remove the baby, other than creating a new character, have him/her move in and take the baby. And what would you do to insure the removal of said characters in the safest possible way? I could also remove them and simply place them on a lot and just not play the lot, but they are still in the neighborhood.
Thanking in advance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 1:50 PM
Deleting sims isn't safe for your neigborhoods (depending on how you delete them, that is). Killing them off is safe enough, though.
I have used the family on a few of my testlots, but I've never bothered much with them.

You can use a mod to make a sim not pregnant, which is a good idea wïth that family, since the genetics of the babies are sort of borked to start with.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 2:13 PM
If the game is properly patched THE OTTOMAI BABIES ARE NOT BROKEN!!!!!!!

If the game is not properly patched, patch it, reset all unplayed neighborhoods, and the Ottomai babies still won't be broken.

Personally, I love the Ottomai. Dora isn't ugly once you make her over (You don't have to take my word for it; go here and scroll down to her close-up.), neither Sam nor Peter is anything out of the ordinary on their own, and I could make uglier kids than their genetics combine into in my sleep. And the twins tend to have personality out the wazoo once they grow up a little (as does Dora if you give her something to do besides drudge for her family), which is worth the challenge of playing them.

However, if you want to play them without the twin-babies-to-untrained-sims-on-tight-budget challenge this time, that's your prerogative. The simplest thing that doesn't break your game is to terminate Samantha's pregnancy. How you want to do that is up to you. Editing tools like SimBlender and SimPE allow you to abort/force a miscarriage or change it from a twin birth to a singleton. You could also give yourself a different gaming experience by killing Samantha with Rodney's Death Creator.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 2:25 PM
Never and I repeat never delete Sims from your hoods (in-game) for this is one of the ways to corrupt your game.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:06 PM
Having Samantha die in childbirth aka killing her while pregnant would be the most logical solution since I can´t imagine an Ottomas choose abortion at all. But there´s another option: You say you have no patience for babies, so why not accelerate the pregnancy and sent the twins (and Tommy, too, while you are at it) on a growing spree once they are born?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 3:44 PM
If you have Inteenimator, you could get Samantha a miscarriage so its "all natural".
Field Researcher
#7 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 6:43 PM
If you care so little about the babies, it might be fun for you to just ignore them. I usually see the Ottomas played as a maybe slightly dysfunctional but happy and well-meaning family, so you could try going the opposite route? Give Tommy a pet bed and some pet food and maybe a toy and see how long he lasts on his own. Let the kids eventually get taken by the social worker and there's the end of your trouble there. Or make Peter a true Romance Sim, have an affair, get caught cheating and split up housekeeping. Have Sam leave the kids with Pete, so you're free to play her on her own. If you don't want to play Peter at all, just say he gets really sad about Sam leaving him and stops caring for himself. He spends all his time now in the front yard waiting for a satellite to drop on him. As for Dora, she doesn't have enough days left to be that much of a bother in any scenario. Then you could play David as a teen living on his own. It's the Sims, the possibilities are depressingly endless - just don't actually delete characters.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 9:20 PM
Never delete sims! And make sure your game is patched! You can terminate her pregnancy on the simblender if you just don't want her to have the twins.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Never delete sims! And make sure your game is patched! You can terminate her pregnancy on the simblender if you just don't want her to have the twins.

Geeze, I didn't know the mom was pregnant. So..that's 3 babies all told.
I have played the Ottomas -just sans mom and the baby. I do like them although I get a little impatient with the dad leaving his books, etc., everywhere! I like Sharla and the boy and wanted to get them to university and beyond.
The most babies I've had all at once in one lot has been 2. I thought they'd never grow up!

On the prior game I sent the mom and baby to the bin. Then I noticed the rest of the Ottomas still missed them and couldn't go on with their lives.
That game was lost, how-so I don't remember. But long after that I read here about not deleting Sims - I won't do that again, which is one of the reasons I wrote this topic.

At this point I will read over all the suggestions - I wasn't aware you could quickly grow them up -that reply has me most interested, as well as the simblender!
Thank you all for your suggestions!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Feb 2014 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enki
Having Samantha die in childbirth aka killing her while pregnant would be the most logical solution since I can´t imagine an Ottomas choose abortion at all. But there´s another option: You say you have no patience for babies, so why not accelerate the pregnancy and sent the twins (and Tommy, too, while you are at it) on a growing spree once they are born?

Enki, would you explain how to accelerate the pregnancy and how to do a growing spree?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 12:12 AM
You just use the simblender. if you haven't got it, it's worth having.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#12 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 3:05 AM
By "the baby", i assue you mean Tommy Ottomas and not the twins Samantha is carrying? In that case, you'd just need to gave him up and then use something like the Mortality Adjustor to kill mother and child. Don't delete them from the Bin or anything like that
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You just use the simblender. if you haven't got it, it's worth having.

Thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 8:35 PM
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 8:38 PM
You can do a lot of this stuff with the Tombstone of L&D, with just the testingcheats. I don't know whether you can terminate a pregnancy with it, though - never tried.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 15th Feb 2014 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You can do a lot of this stuff with the Tombstone of L&D, with just the testingcheats. I don't know whether you can terminate a pregnancy with it, though - never tried.

Hi Peni. I downloaded the blender yesterday and since it appears it will age the babies (as well as several other things) that's what I'll use. I'll enjoy the new twins for a while and then age them up, ..hopefully!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Feb 2014 at 8:31 PM
While like the others said its not safe to delete Sims from the game ... hypothetically I wouldn't get rid of any of the Ottomas family. They are fun and I don't know why everyone is so scared of playing them -- its perfectly safe if your game is patched! My Ottomas family is now in the 3rd generation in some lines and its neat to see how their genetics work into everyone elses. (Some of the offspring is very interesting looking)
Forum Resident
#18 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If the game is properly patched THE OTTOMAI BABIES ARE NOT BROKEN!!!!!!!

If the game is not properly patched, patch it, reset all unplayed neighborhoods, and the Ottomai babies still won't be broken.

Personally, I love the Ottomai. Dora isn't ugly once you make her over (You don't have to take my word for it; go here and scroll down to her close-up.), neither Sam nor Peter is anything out of the ordinary on their own, and I could make uglier kids than their genetics combine into in my sleep. And the twins tend to have personality out the wazoo once they grow up a little (as does Dora if you give her something to do besides drudge for her family), which is worth the challenge of playing them.

However, if you want to play them without the twin-babies-to-untrained-sims-on-tight-budget challenge this time, that's your prerogative. The simplest thing that doesn't break your game is to terminate Samantha's pregnancy. How you want to do that is up to you. Editing tools like SimBlender and SimPE allow you to abort/force a miscarriage or change it from a twin birth to a singleton. You could also give yourself a different gaming experience by killing Samantha with Rodney's Death Creator.

For some reason, my game doesn't seem to like any of the patches beyond the OFB patch; the installer tells me that my game is not properly installed, on a fresh install. But the game seems to be working okay otherwise.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 6:39 AM
I don't know, I've played the family, I didn't know about the twins having a "broken" problem so I grew them up, put them through Uni, they are both married with kids, and I've never had any problems with them! I quite like the family myself and would not delete any member. I kept Dora alive as long as I could feed her elixir of life!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 9:10 PM
If you have inteen mod you can have Samantha miscarry (which will have her mood be in the red for a day or two, and she'll have the memory of a miscarriage) or you can just end the pregnancy which will basically erase the pregnancy from everyone's memory (it would be as if the baby were never there).
Instructor
#21 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 3:54 AM
I patched the game before playing seasons at all. So i tried RBH with the Ottomas, and it worked out okay. (the twins were surprisingly okay looking!! lol no grandma genes)
Im glad i did not delete them, however....
One family of the Ottomas is good enough in my game. So in the other neighborhoods, I will let Sam birth the twins, and then reduce the household by sim death.
Too many people for me to control. Plus they are like poor..and i dont use cheats.....
But, the grandma is annoying, she is the first to go... by fire of course.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 3:26 PM
I was just playing this family this morning! It didn't end well...

Samantha (Mother) fell pregnant again soon after having the twins. I didn't want that to happen but I have some mod on my game that makes woohoo risky! Must get rid of that!!

There was just too much going on in the house and too many people. Thankfully the Grandmother died - one less sim to worry about and some cash! But it was still a very busy household. Samantha got food poisoning from eating some nasty food whilst being pregnant so all her mood bars plummeted as she was constantly throwing up and collapsing on the floor. It wasn't long before she passed away from hunger. So now I just have the Father and their four children. This is so much easier to handle! All the children are doing well in school, the house is nice and they just adopted a puppy
Mad Poster
#23 Old 28th Mar 2014 at 6:07 PM
One of the things I love about having these families available in different hoods (though I think you should have the option, when first loading/creating your hood, of choosing which ones you want) is that they play differently each time. My first play-through of the Ottomas family was a little traumatic because I was completely unprepared. I barely had a chance to get to know Dora, and Peter and Samantha somehow manifested moderately unhealthy relationships with their kids. But the effect of this was, that the kids and I bonded through shared trauma. All the kids are great and are firmly nested into some intense ongoing storylines. Drama Acres would be a much duller place without them.

In Strangetown I gave Peter a military job and a Family Secondary, Samantha a Romance secondary, and Dora Ottomas a Romance secondary. This Dora is a vixen, charming the soldiers Peter brings home into doing housework, vamping PT9 and any other gentlemen she can find time to meet, and forging solid relationships with all her grandchildren. David is the best thing that ever happened to the Grunt family and he and Tank are so in love it'd make your heart sing.

In Widespot, I gave Dora a Knowledge secondary and she came gunning for Skye Weiss, sweeping him off his feet. Now that she's married to him, she is going around picking fights with the Harts - all the Harts, not just Rhett - and Sandy Beech. I'm not quite sure what the deal is, though she could easily have absorbed Skye's hostility to Rhett. He's never objected to Valentine, though, and Dora gets right up into his face every time she sees him. This Dora bears watching - she's got a chip on her shoulder and does not pull her punches.

In Widespot and Strangetown, I'm experiencing them alongside the other Family Bin sims (in Drama Acres they were phased in later than the Newsons and Gavigans, and I didn't add Freetime, Bon Voyage, or OFB until the Ottomai were well-grown; nor have I added all the adult-only families in any neighborhood but Widespot), and I'm finding it interesting to observe how they behave similarly or differently in the different situations. Tina Traveller and Sharla Ottomas seem to be natural BFFs.

And Ottomai teens are great visitors for families with small children! You can count on David and Sharla to let toddlers out of cribs, bathe babies, play with younger children - they're lovely!

Mad Poster
#24 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 1:56 AM
I used to hate them. Hated ugly; had a template replacement to fix the general ugliness. Then I met the people of Widespot, and "ugly" became the new "unique". Took out the template. Added Widespot shopping so those characters could meet the Ottomie -- and the "unique" babies are arriving! I prefer large households, usually adding a number of the Maxis families to the same house, then having lots of babies - I LIKE the drama and turmoil!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Forum Resident
#25 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 8:29 PM
Like grammapat I enjoy "the drama and turmoil" and like Peni I LOVE THE OTTOMI !! When thier offspring make babies with other Sims thier genetics add interest to the 'gene pool". Currently they are the main family in Black Mesa ( wonderful unpopulated nieghborhood created by an MTS creator!). All of the Ottomas children are now either at uni or out on thier own. Sharla is married to townie Peter Sims who is now an elder. They have a very large, very active and interesting ( to say the least!) family. Peter is not (yet) aware that he is not the sire of two of his daughters. So, who would I 'delete' - none of them!
Page 1 of 2