Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 1:07 AM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 27th Apr 2016 at 7:49 PM. Reason: purpose of thread has evolved
Default Observations and solutions for 1.69 (was another reason to stay on 1.67 if you can)
Stupid stupid something-unsayable won't let me play my game till stupid stupid something-unsayable Origin finishes updating with "improved handling of outmoded operating systems" including "reduced support for Windows Xp and Vista" nope, no way to open the game without going through this undesired update.

I have Windows 7. Probably going to "improve its handling" of Windows 7 by reducing its support at some foreseeable time, too.

Anyways. Just venting. Not asking to start an argument.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 3:31 PM
I bought 4 EPs from origin. But in order to install them, I had to downgrade from my beloved 1.67 to 1.69, complete with the asinine "disable some EPs so your save data can corrupt!" bug I mean feature. Another "feature" is the new world Adventureland... Which is Sunset Valley with only 2 premade families and was probably a leftover when EAxis was testing world travel for World Adventures that by the competence of a company who couldn't organize a drinking contest in a bar made it in. Anyone else have this world? It sounds like a Creepypasta in the making.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 4:38 PM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 9th Apr 2016 at 6:35 PM. Reason: new discoveries
I'm playing in it. Using Nraas' Rapid Immigration I upped the population to a decent level. I'm having quite a few issues that might be due to old cc or might be due to playing 1.69, I don't know: I'm in the middle of investigating it.

edit: for the record: my game has been crashing while minimized, which is almost certainly an issue with me and my new computer and not 1.69: freezing in build/buy, which is almost certainly a cc issue and not 1.69: and it bugged out bizarrely when in Edit Town in France, which I have no idea. I mean it gave me a stupid error issue and didn't let me leave the lot. Edit#3:Nope, that was me being stupid. I'm generating a clean folder as I type this and then I'll see what it does in a new modless game.

second edit: aiee, how much I hate the loading screens of a brand-new game with untouched options!

There are small small differences between Adenvtureland and Sunset Valley--a different house name in one place, different textures in another otherwise maybe identical house, I think some missing community lot types but I might be confused about that (didn't later patches automatically place things like the junkyard, useless equestrian center, and consignment store in older worlds?).
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 5:55 PM
I may be a little cynical, but I think Origin is trying to break Sims 3 so that people will buy new games. But there's nothing out there like Sims 3. Nothing. NOTHING AT ALL! SIMS 4 IS DEAD TO ME! HEAR? DEAD!
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 8:12 PM
The thought had occurred to me, but it's a sufficient cause for all of this if Origin simnply misunderstands what Sims 3 players want and, more to the point, doesn't care.
Theorist
#6 Old 9th Apr 2016 at 11:30 PM
Origin keeps people from pirating their software. Plus it allows them to spy on users to see what they're doing, and enables the ability to advertise more of their crap games to you.

I uninstalled Origin on my desktop PC because that crapware isn't coming any where near my game. I even bough another base game disk on Ebay just for insurance, in case anything happens to my original disk.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Forum Resident
#7 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 1:11 AM
On a lighter note 5 days ago Origin started tracking my total play time with TS3. I don't exactly mind this because the stats are hilarious.

So over 5 days I have already spent 17 hours of my life playing this game. That's almost a whole day y'all.

HAHAHAHAHA i have no life help

EDIT: I wish I could get rid of origin... But that would involve repurchasing all my sims 3 EPs and everything I don't already have that's in my Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. WAH. *is cheapskate*

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
#8 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 1:22 AM
It's actually kind of hilarious to me about it because the whole novelty aspect of sims 4 was to be able to actually run it on older pcs with somewhat outdated OS's. So since I still have vista and have no issues running sims 4 (other than a severe lack of staying interested for more than an hour tops before back to CC gourging on sims 2) and i got that message today(I caved and hopefully thought that getting that garden stuff pack would renew my interest) they're basically saying at some point unless I go out and spend over 500 on a new pc/laptop I cant play the game i bought. Well here's a big middle finger to them as i stay with sims 2 for even longer.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 1:38 AM
They will do the same thing to you as they did to us (sims 2 players) They shut the shop, broke the launcher (not that I had used it for years) then broke the exchange for ages then 'because they couldn't fix it' they took it all down, forums, peoples stories and uploads while saying hardly anyone used it any longer. Bit hard when it had been broken for 9 months! If they ever make a sims 5 they will then pretend that sims 3 did not exist like they do with sims 2. Save your stuff and don't rely on EA /Origin to keep your stuff long term.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 5:28 AM
A tip for people like me stuck with 1.69: check the "expansions and stuff" panel on the launcher every time you start up. Tonight the launcher decided to prune me down to five expansions without asking me.The others weren't even listed. I didn't panic and I didn't corrupt my save though, because I caught that and aborted the launch. I tried again and the next time it accused me of having installed new expansion packs and asked me if I wanted to go and specify which ones to play with. They were all there, but unticked, so I had to tick them all to get them to play.

Again, I don't want to argue about this: just want to vent and share tips for living with it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 6:11 AM
I do hope somebody will one day make a mod that breaks what ever connection the mod creates between the game and Origin. I made the mistake of patching, but was lucky enough to have an old 2009 BG, and was able to just unistall and re-install that.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I do hope somebody will one day make a mod that breaks what ever connection the mod creates between the game and Origin. I made the mistake of patching, but was lucky enough to have an old 2009 BG, and was able to just unistall and re-install that.

Hi, Ani. Was this recently? I'm afraid no one else we've heard from has been able to revert to 1.67 by uninstalling and re-installing the base game only. As of sometime in January, doing so hoses all of their EP/SPs. Since then, reportedly a complete uninstall and reinstall of everything by disc with yes a base game disc produced before Sept 2012, leaving Origin out of the picture entirely, and SuperPatching to 1.67 seems to be the only way to stay off of 1.69, other than switching over to Steam installs or playing the Mac version for those so inclined.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Hi, Ani. Was this recently? I'm afraid no one else we've heard from has been able to revert to 1.67 by uninstalling and re-installing the base game only. As of sometime in January, doing so hoses all of their EP/SPs. Since then, reportedly a complete uninstall and reinstall of everything by disc with yes a base game disc produced before Sept 2012, leaving Origin out of the picture entirely, and SuperPatching to 1.67 seems to be the only way to stay off of 1.69, other than switching over to Steam installs or playing the Mac version for those so inclined.

Yes, very recently, here is the whole post on tumblr.
I uninstalled the basegame only, and re-installed normally and I'm back to 1.67 and my save are working fine (at least there has been no issues since).
Theorist
#14 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 6:32 PM Last edited by tizerist : 12th Apr 2016 at 6:49 PM.
So, what's the general consensus on EA producing game-borking patches then? Is it really done to make players give up and buy that other sims game?
I'm thinking that, with the amount of casual / mummy gamers that this game has (a lot), reams and reams of these folk would rather not go through (or even know how to) obtaining a 1.67 patch, backing up their CC and savegames, then do a mammoth 10 EP reinstall. Instead many will shrug their shoulders and say "ah well, I'll just buy the newer version then"

One of my best friends girlfriends is exactly like this. She doesn't know her 1.0.62 from her 1.69, and she would probably just move on if Ts3 was giving her too much headache suddenly.
I think it's all done intentionally, personally.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Scholar
#15 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 10:58 PM
It's the way which the whole industry has taken a long time ago, and the reason why I quit this job at this point. The idea of getting the control over user at the whole new level - and seriously it's a great improvement over standard undertested crap which players and users were granted normally.

Before you blame the Origin, look at the Valve. Or Apple (where it was succesfully introduced, look at the whole i-something enviroment, unlike Microsoft which failed miserably many times 'till Win10). Of course the standard excuse is "piracy" (they really should invent something more intelligent, but on the other hand - what for if this nonsense still works?). The effect You know. Your very personal machine is just a part of generous (or not) Company 'cause you practically have not control over the software nor machine until you're skilled and awared enough to do security work by yourself. 'Ya know - if something works like malware or exploit it *is* malware or exploit. Even if someone calls this "the operating system" or "franchise enviroment".

The funny part is - regaining your rights forces you to become a dangerous criminal who molestates poor, industrious Companies so dilligent to make us happy and with full Frustration bar forever. So - before you burn Origin (and whole BadThingsFromUnholyEA) throw your iPad into WC and send the rest (from Twitter to FB) into the space
But do not forget to post some pictures on Pinterest!

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#17 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 12:20 AM
honestly - I've never got caught into this all "smart-phone-thingie". And the whole "govermental spying" phobia so popular around, while "truth is out there" obviously, in such context is purely rudiculous.

The phone is the phone, mine is about 10 years old, my wifes is older. And the most importand part of it is button with "Off" sign. Go ahead: call me obsolete, or so :D

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Ha, I don't know why people buy Apple stuff.

For many of us at least, same as any other brand name loyalty. Because we've had a string of mostly positive experiences with the product line in the past and we actually enjoy using them.
Instructor
#19 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
I'm thinking that, with the amount of casual / mummy gamers that this game has (a lot), reams and reams of these folk would rather not go through (or even know how to) obtaining a 1.67 patch, backing up their CC and savegames, then do a mammoth 10 EP reinstall.

I'm sure even hardcore/werewolf gamers are tired of having to deal with EA's tactics...
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 2:41 PM
For many of us at least, same as any other brand name loyalty. Because we've had a string of mostly positive experiences with the product line in the past and we actually enjoy using them.

Apple? I owned An Apple IIGS. They had a $300 battery replacement on the mother board or void your warranty. Apple promised support forever... dual Mac and Apple II track, they said. And like a drunk at the bar, I believed everything the floozy said. Oh, the betrayal!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 4:24 PM Last edited by igazor : 14th Apr 2016 at 1:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Apple? I owned An Apple IIGS. They had a $300 battery replacement on the mother board or void your warranty. Apple promised support forever... dual Mac and Apple II track, they said. And like a drunk at the bar, I believed everything the floozy said. Oh, the betrayal!

The Statute of Limitations may have run out on that one (guess we're going to hear about how restrictive one-button mice are next).

But I never said everyone had good experiences, just those of us who keep coming back for more. Again, like most other companies. It's a brand name that defines a line of products, not a religion.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 12:38 AM
It's a brand name that defines a line of products, not a religion.

Yes and yes to this. People get so touchy about the operating system they prefer!

I got a kid who married into a family of Mac loyalists and happily switched to Mac because nothing that she likes to do is worse on the Mac. Me, I prefer obsolete Windows versions because I'm happy with the way they work and I am not anxious to get all new everything (and who can afford to replace every program they have?)

Anyway, my Sims game has done nothing mean to me today, so I have no more complaints or tips right now. Well, yesterday I noticed as I was loading my game that my fellow's alien baby had disappeared from the portrait, so I reverted to an old save, but I think it's because the social worker might have been about to show up since the baby's plumbob was yellow. I only lost a few hours on the reversion so I'm not worried. I made sure to maxmotives on the little dear immediately and repeatedly while I was in that session, just to make sure.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 1:50 AM
Phone?..
They aren't phones, they are mini computers. Try buying just a phone..no really, try.
*Goes back at petting a cat.*

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#24 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 3:02 AM
So...I have the last two expansions on Origin. Luckily, I've disabled automatic updates. Hell, for some reason, I don't even have to have origin open to play my game. My computer is getting pretty old and I'll eventually need a new one. Am I gonna have to get the update if I install those last two EPs on this hypothetical new computer?

The Receptacle still lives!
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th Apr 2016 at 1:08 AM
lil bag 2, I think so.

About that thing I said about checking the "expansions & stuff" panel on the launcher: it is a serious thing. Origin or Launcher or somebody will randomly throw expansions off the list and if you blindly load your save without knowing that you could have problems. Yesterday I had to abort launch and reload four times before Launcher blithely announced something like "Oh we see you have new expansions! Be sure to visit the Expansions & Stuff to choose your adventure!" As if the expansions hadn't been installed all along.

Important to know: if you do get the depleted expansions list, you'll also get the message that if you don't see all your expansions, you can install them. This is not necessary (and I sense that it may be dangerous to re-install expansions that have not been uninstalled, but I don't know that for sure). Just abort the launch and try again until the complete list comes back as I described.
Page 1 of 2