Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 9:39 AM
Default Intense lag in Sims 3 with all addons (no CC and not playing on a toaster)
I'm trying to run Sims 3 (v 1.67.2) with all EPs and SPs on my new PC, but performance issues are driving me insane.

Every once in a while there are freezes going on as I play. Sims don't move, cursor doesn't change and while I'm able to move it, I can't click anything. Meanwhile, the game seems to continue with its rendering: rain drops are falling, water ripples are moving, some animated signs are animating, plump bob is spinning and sparkling. Otherwise, the game is frozen.

It starts with minor stuttering going for half a second, and after about 30 mins of playing it bumps up to tens of seconds. It doesn't matter if graphics settings are all high or all low, it's still the same frequency and intensity. FPS limiter doesn't affect this too. It seems to be different in different worlds tho, it's less intense in the future world than in Isla Paradiso which my main home is at.

My PC specs are:
  • Intel Core i7 6700K (4 GHz x 4 cores)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti 6Gb
  • 16 Gb of RAM (And I didn't see TS3 go above 1.5 Gb, even with 4Gb patch)
  • Samsung 850 Evo SSD of 512 Gb
  • Running 64bit Windows 10

Of CC, I only have the two that came with config (no build sparkles and no intro) and four NRaas mods (Overwatch, ErrorTrap, MasterController+Cheats).

Can this be fixed? Did I miss something crucial?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Apr 2016 at 12:35 PM
I saw that your graphics card came after Sims 3 so you should make game recognize it and download @ellacharmed fixed routing for Isla Paradiso (she also have updated no intro mod).
@nitromon has awesome tutorial for unparking CPU cores, which helped me a lot.
Alchemist
#4 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 2:49 PM
In Isla Paradiso, check the houses. IIRC some have a fake entrance thing (arch leading into small hallway) before the front door, which causes lag because sims can't get to the door directly to visit the house. Remove the arches and take down those walls, so the path to the door is clear.

If you don't already, get Nraas Register and disable the stray pets. They are absolutely AWFUL at routing (especially in Isla Paradiso), and I suspect your lag is coming from NPCs or pets spawning in unroutable locations and getting stuck. Make sure to run Overwatch -> Immediate -> Stuck Check once in a while when you experience lag, it'll usually find stuck sims/pets and reset them.

Aside from that, some lag in IP is to be expected, bearing in mind all the "hidden" islands and boat taxis.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 6:51 PM
Just delete all the boat houses and move families to common houses. This is how I can play in that world.
I suggest also delete all pets and ghosts with Nraas.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 11th Apr 2016 at 9:26 PM
Yeah. Even with the fixes Isla Paradiso is eternally broken. Also, the stuttering you described happens from time to time, but most often in worlds with broken routing.
Theorist
#7 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 1:21 AM
If I create a house with arches I leave openings in part of the wall so it's not totally enclosed. But I'm pretty sure you can set arches as front doors in CAW, so unless the people who made the world forgot to do that (which is entirely possible), I don't think arches are the problem? There is a lot that looks like a castle that has a lot of routing issues though.

I also use NRAAS Register mod to set all the wild animals and strays to zero, and turn off pet adoption in NRAAS SP. You can still have the sims you are playing adopt pets, but doing those things helped some lag issues that I experienced considerably.

Edit: Read some additional ideas here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...oving-ip-lag/p1

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 1:23 AM
You can use Tempest to change the weather patterns, because snow in Isla Paradiso is so bad wrt lag. I'm playing in a modified version of Isla Paradiso rn (it's been emptied out of all families plus all lots besides port and diving areas, so I basically rebuilt the town) and I adjusted the weather to be more realistic for a tropical island. Which includes monsoons, but if weather is a significant cause of lag in your game, making it sunny most of the time would help.

I also recommend deleting the Scott and Collins families, unless you're attached to them. In which case, both of those households have Sims with glitched pregnancies, so you can head on over to MC to end them unless they've already given birth.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 8:24 AM
Maybe my experiences with Isla P weren't typical. But here are the steps I took when I played there and everything just kind of smoothed itself out.

-- Used Ellacharmed's fixed version of the world to begin with.
-- NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and Register (to control the otherwise incessant overspawnage of unnecessary resort workers) were essential.
-- Used Register's Animal control to disallow wild animals; horses in particular kept getting stuck in ridiculous places and even took water taxis to get around
-- Moved the Ichtaca, Los Amigos, and Medina households to new houses and bulldozed their original ones. Same with the Scott household and bulldozed their houseboat and port. The sims themselves seemed to be fine elsewhere. These lots are flawed beyond belief -- shame about the Ichtaca castle, but I did find them a modern castle worthy of their royal standing and they seemed very happy with it.
-- Moved maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the households living on houseboats to houses inland. Didn't bulldoze them, but marked them Player Ownable and set their lots for no progression using NRaas SP so that inactives couldn't move back in (could have pulled their refrigerators out to get the same effect). EA always goes so overboard on these designs. Left the household of playable ghosts in place after having read that others had issues after moving them out, not sure what that was about.

That was it. Never got around to removing the fog on undiscovered islands; maybe I didn't play there long enough for that to be necessary. My sims were there on a 2 sim week vacation (Traveler mod), I wasn't playing it as a homeworld. I'm going to send some of them back someday to purchase the run down resort with the trash can (buffet?) and rusty bathtub (bed?) for accommodations. Can't decide if it will be my good and kind sims who will build it all up or my evil ones who will run it as some sort of latter day Fawlty Towers. Maybe I'll copy the lot over to the other side of the island and play it both ways.

Several of the remaining residential lots were also flawed, placed backwards, too close to a road that was not near the front entrance, etc. which caused sims who live there to run all around their lot every time they entered or exited. That didn't cause lag, it just looked silly and made them late for everything. But I took that to be the price for living in paradise.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Apr 2016 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What is wrong with the Ithaca castle? I actually use that lot a few times, converted it to both a base camp and a resort. It seems to be fine. I have to check the other ones you've mentioned.

Yeah, it was just great in my game except for the part where no one could get in or out and the game had a nervous breakdown constantly trying to reroute the sims who lived in it.
Scholar
#13 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 12:08 AM
arches are technically the doors - so they requires a proper amount of space for "animation" (no matter there's no one) and movement (2 tiles min, 3 for the sanity level*). And as the doors - there's still "one sim at once" problem, no matter how big it is. There're detached arch-parts cc (each works as a separate one, so you can build a functional arch passable for more than one sim at once) but I do not have seen such fancy ones.

*the sad reason why some very nice houses becomes a routing nightmare; the arch and the doors on your picture are too close each other for more than one sim to safely route. The stairs produces the same problem.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#15 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 1:05 AM
Make some crowd there with sims' going in opposite directions, that shows the mess

I dunno - there's probably more problems than just terrible house planning - this is not the only world with broken houses, is it? Are the whole "secret islands" prevents sim-objects (sims in the flesh, animals, etc.) from spawning there? Because if not it must produce routing disaster. In theory placing subways should solve most of the problems, but in practice it seems to be just a bit improvement. Not a real solution. Even with completely disable by-the-water routing (which defeats most of the potential world's purpose) there's still problem even while using Ellacharmed fixes. Personally I've never bothered much with this particular world. It was too iritating. I suspect, among other in-game and projects' problems with, for example, bad world build is - there's no reasonable *routing* concept in the game at all. And the PI broke this even deeper.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I actually built a subway system in IP, just 1 line connecting the 2 big islands, but it didn't help at all. And sims still prefer to run to the edge of the island and boat over to the other island. They would only use the subway if they are already near it. I guess it would probably work better if I created more lines, but if I have to do that, it kind of ruin the purpose of playing IP.

In the end, I just gave up on this world too.

Go Here helps a bit, but I still get the issue of children swimming to school...or stretching to Lovecraftian levels to pilot boats.

(I also installed LLAMAs in nearly every port, which seemed to help with the routing quite a bit. I recommend it if you have SN.)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 5:42 AM
SN = Supernatural, LLAMA = the tardis like or maybe phone booth like transport devices. FYI, GoHere hates the LLAMAs with a passion. It's our recommendation to not use GoHere in a world that has them, especially if they start acting up.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 9:14 AM
I swear to god the taxi boats are evil in that town, but what I've noticed is that Isla Paradiso seems to generate a lot more unnecessary vehicles than is normal. It's possible that a lot of your lag around 7 AM is because that's when most Sims start departing for work/school, but I'm wondering if inactive resorts also run checks. I'm playing IP now and my household owns a resort -- resort profits, staff checks, and checks for the hotel's star level are all done at 7 AM. You're notified if it's a lot you own, but not if your family doesn't own a resort.

If you have Register, you can limit the pool size of resort workers, since the game spawns more than you'll really need otherwise. You can make it really low if you don't plan on playing with resorts at all, but if you do want to play with the hotel features, just try to do some math to figure out how many workers you'll need. My advice: limit the maintenance pools to just one Sim for low and medium, and put as many housekeeping staff as you want to actually hire on High. Apart from that, the "Resort Worker" role seems to be for front desk and food stand workers, while the bar worker role is...self-explanatory.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 12:00 PM
Now there's a solution I never considered. If three built-in resorts might be causing a problem, just add eight more!
Mad Poster
#25 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 1:30 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 19th Apr 2016 at 1:20 PM.
The problem with Isla Paradiso is that there's so many islands that sims always have to do an inefficient transfer of:

- Leave road
- Run down to water's edge
- Wade into water (sometimes)
- Transfer to boat
- Drive to random spot not necessarily close to where they want to go
- Transfer out of boat
- Wade to shore (sometimes)
- Run to road
- Transfer back into car

Combine this with hundreds of sims doing it and also getting stuck in places, and you end up with lag.

IMO a one or two-island configuration is much better.
Page 1 of 2