Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2009 at 6:29 PM
Default Downloads or Boxed?
Does anyone know if the Sims 3 site will have a pay for download feature, like you can currently do for Sims 2. I don't like buying boxed games. I prefer buying directly from the EA games site. However, for Sims 3 I will make an exception if need be.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th May 2009 at 6:35 PM
EA Link will likely offer some sort of downloadable version. But honestly, I think it's a MUCH better idea to actually buy the boxed versions. You then have a hard copy of it and don't have to contact EA if something goes wrong with your downloading, and you don't have to be online or count on EA's servers being up to use the software you've paid for.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Theorist
#3 Old 15th May 2009 at 6:48 PM
I prefer the boxed versions for pretty much the same reasons as HP. It also just feels cool to have all the Sims games lined up on a shelf like as if they're a DVD collection.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 15th May 2009 at 8:12 PM
And I don't know if you can download the Collector's Edition, but I want the free loot that comes along with it. A 2GB flash drive would come in handy! : 3
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th May 2009 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Captain THPS4
It also just feels cool to have all the Sims games lined up on a shelf like as if they're a DVD collection.

Lol!, same here.
Instructor
#6 Old 15th May 2009 at 8:43 PM
Also, you can install the hard copy on more than one computer without paying for more than one game.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th May 2009 at 11:55 PM
Nearly all online distributors allow you to re-download them on different computers, some have a limit tho, some dont.
Instructor
#8 Old 16th May 2009 at 12:38 AM
I actually prefer the download versions. With many gamers in the family, we have way too many game boxes taking up room already. Plus with my kids wanting to play the game too, I like that there isn't a disk for them to handle and accidentally scratch and such.

All of that to say, I'm almost positive there is going to be a downloadable version, so don't worry. ^^
#9 Old 16th May 2009 at 1:13 AM
If you have never downloaded a Sims game from EA, be forewarned; you have to pay extra to keep the game on their servers for an extended period. I believe it was $5 to have them keep the games that I got from there on their servers for 2 years. And they have no way to allow you to make hard copies of those games, even though you've paid full price for them.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 16th May 2009 at 3:14 AM
Buy it from the store,

much less hassle....
#11 Old 16th May 2009 at 9:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
EA Link will likely offer some sort of downloadable version. But honestly, I think it's a MUCH better idea to actually buy the boxed versions. You then have a hard copy of it and don't have to contact EA if something goes wrong with your downloading, and you don't have to be online or count on EA's servers being up to use the software you've paid for.

Agreed there, Steam works, however, because unlike EA, they have good servers, good customer service, etc.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:29 PM
Steam doesen't currently offer Sims games, i'm not sure if they will offer TS3, I think I read somewhere that they will.

I know Direct2Drive.com (IGN's store) will be selling it... but I think you can only download games 5 times on that store and it has EXTREMELY slow speeds and everytime I used it, it took me 3 hours to install the game because it always gives me an error that something is missing, and it takes a while for tech help to respond...

So if your not going to buy from a store which I would recommend, use steam (steampowered.com).

Good download times, great customer service and I do like that they have weekend sales.
#13 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:16 AM
Yeah, I was saying Steam is the best Direct Download service, closely followed by Impulse, EA's own one and Direct2Drive suck heaps.