Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 6:32 PM Last edited by pikeman101 : 16th Apr 2018 at 7:48 PM.
Default Sim Metamorphoser?
Hi, everyone.

I downloaded the Sim Metamorphoser, but I can't tell how to use it. I opened the Sim I wanted, I clicked "Edit this Sim," but then I couldn't change the textbox for the head name. When I clicked "Change," another screen opened where I had many options, but "Select" only worked when I chose one that had a preview available. I wanted "C00FC_PONY," but I can't choose it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 7:16 PM
This is what the ReadMe says: "Note: SimMetamorphoser is only able to see custom heads and head skins that are in the \gamedata\skins directory." So make sure it's not in the Downloads folder.
Also: "Version 2.0+ Note: SimMetamorphoser can now see all head meshes in the Maxis FAR files. Head skins in the FAR files will also show up in the Edit Sim window, but not in the Select Head window. This should ease the whole "default mesh / skin not found" issue."
Further down it says: "Clicking the [Change] button in the Head frame brings up the skin selection window. The skin selection window allows you to select any head model and matching head skin for the sim being edited. The head models are listed in the upper left corner of the window in alphabetical order. Selecting a model causes the skin selection panel (the giant square on the right) to populate with head skins that match the selected model." Have you selected the model first?
It has been a while since I played the game, is C00FC_PONY a Maxis head or CC one?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 7:48 PM
I believe it's a Maxis one. I don't recall installing any CC child heads, but every CC head I installed is in the Skins folder. I'll include an image of what I'm seeing...
Field Researcher
#4 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 10:14 PM
This may sound stupid, but have you tried double-clicking the head model? Sadly I can't be of much help when I haven't even installed the game somewhere.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
This may sound stupid, but have you tried double-clicking the head model? Sadly I can't be of much help when I haven't even installed the game somewhere.

I have.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 1:16 AM
Then the last thing would be to check if there is a texture for the skintone of your sim on that mesh in the first place (though I guess you already checked that).
The only other thing I can think of is to use another program. I forgot which (as I said, it's been a while) but I think the Sim Explorer or IFF Pencil 2 allowed you to look at character data. Somewhere you can see which mesh and texture they are using, I believe you can change that. I think I fixed a NPC by Sandy from ATS that way. I have to dig up my old laptop and install the game on it if I want to help you further. That can take awhile, I hope someone else can help you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 6:24 AM
I know that there is a texture using it because I created another Sim with that face in order to see which mesh and texture I want...

I tried changing an adult head to one that I could select and it didn't work...
Hmm...
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 6:10 PM
For me I found that some heads didn't show up, this may be because the tool wasn't updated for later expansions. However I found it functional for the heads that do show up. What I did was click on the head which I wanted then press select then pressed save. But I'm guessing you've already tried that. If so there may be another problem.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:01 AM
And it just appeared in game? Even the ones that "work" don't show up in game for me.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 5:43 PM
Yep it appeared in game for me, up to and including gender changes. I managed to get Frankie Mashuga to have Betty Newbie's Head.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 6:47 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a different mod that can do the trick?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2019 at 5:21 AM
I tried using this too, When I go to edit sim, none of the heads show up in preview.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 22nd May 2021 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GingerxNinjax
Im having an issue too which hopefully can be solved since i really want to use this program. The previews don't show up for me either, but I don't think that's the issue with mine... Here's a photo stating the problem i get everytime i try to save the Sims change. Hopefully it can be fixed!!

I don't know how to make the program work for you, but I DO know how you can change your sim.

1. Navigate to the UserData folder for the neighborhood containing the sim you want to edit. Back up your sim by copying the Character folder to another place, like the Desktop.

2. Run The Sims and go to the household containing the sim you want to change. Have that sim study a skill for a minute or two OR get or quit a job OR study a magazine to increase an interest. Save the game and exit The Sims.

3. Open the iff Pencil 2 program.

4. Under the "File" menu, click "Open," which will give you a pop up. Navigate to your UserData folder for the neighborhood that has the sim you want to edit, then to the Characters subfolder. Inside the Characters subfolder, you can find a list of all the characters in that neighborhood. Unfortunately, they have names that are not terribly informative, like User00001.iff. But this is why you just updated something about the sim you want to change!

You can have the program list the characters in order of Date Modified by clicking the Date Modified name at the top of the column. Once the characters in your neighborhood are ordered by Date Modified, the character you want to edit should be one of the first few, since you just modified the character by having them learn a skill or get a job or change an interest.

5. Choose the first file in the list and click the "Open" button. This will open the file. You'll see a list in the left-hand pane of a bunch of stuff. Click on OBJD (1) in the left pane, and the right pane will display that character's name. It will say something like #128: "user00000 - Bob" (size 216).

If Bob is the character you want to edit, then go on to the next step. If not, then close that file and choose another one.

6. Once you've found the character you want to edit, in the left-hand pane, click on STR#. The right hand pane will then display the strings for this character. Click on the one marked "bodystring," and a popup will show you a list of six different things. On the left is a field called ID and on the right is the text field. Usually, the second row -- ID#1 -- will list the body file this sim is using, and the third row -- ID#2 -- will list the head file this sim is using.

Click on whichever of those you want to edit, and the Editing pane at the bottom of the popup will change to white, and you can edit the string. You'll need to know how the names of head and body styles work to edit that properly, but a quick glance through your skins folder should make that easy.

Once you're done editing, click Okay, which will close the popup

7. Under the File menu, click "Save," then "Close," then "Exit." If you got the file names right for the head or body string you chose, your sim will have the new head or body.

8. If you messed up somehow, don't worry. Simply replace the Characters folder you just edited with the one you copied before you did all this.

Have fun!

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 23rd May 2021 at 5:03 PM
Thanks so much for your adive CoreyLea! Sad to inform that still doesn't work and my heads stay the same and doesn't change. Thankyou for everything tho.
GingerxNinjax.

It DOES work! If it didn't work for you, then you used an incorrect string for the head. Let me explain that part in more detail, then.

Oh, and just to prove that it works, I've attached a screenshot of Bob Newbie, with his head edited. :-)

In the editing box for the head, we have a long string that's composed of two elements, with an equals sign in between those two elements. For example, if you look at the string for Bob Newbie's head, his head string is listed (in that editing window of iff Pencil 2) as

c010ma_baldbeard,HEAD-HEAD=C010MAlgt_baldbeard01

The first element -- the part BEFORE the equals sign -- is the name of the mesh. You can get the name of the new mesh you want to replace this with from the mesh file; that's the one that starts with "xskin" in the Skins folder. The mesh files start with the word xskin, then there's a dash, then there's a long string, ending with .skn. The part you want is everything AFTER the dash but before the .skn.

When I replaced Bob's head, I went to my Skins folder and looked at the meshes. The one I used had a mesh with the file name

xskin-c721ma_realbush-HEAD-HEAD.skn

Thus, to change Bob Newbie's head to this one, I had strip off the xskin- and .skn from that file name and put the part in between -- c721ma_realbush-HEAD-HEAD -- into the editing box in place of Bob's mesh. Bob's mesh is everything BEFORE the equals sign, so I replaced
c010ma_baldbeard,HEAD-HEAD with c721ma_realbush-HEAD-HEAD

The second element in the head string -- the part AFTER the equals sign -- is the head texture file. In Bob Newbie's case, his head texture is shown as C010MAlgt_baldbeard01. So I looked for the texture file that went with the mesh I used -- the texture file MUST match the mesh, or Bad Things will happen :-) -- and saw that the texture file was called c721Malgt_fab_Mario.bmp. You strip off the .bmp and enter the rest of that name AFTER the equals sign. In the case of Bob Newbie, that means I replaced C010MAlgt_baldbeard01 with c721Malgt_fab_Mario.

Then you must be sure to SAVE the file in iff Pencil 2, then close it.

It's easy to find the name of the skin file for a downloaded head, because you usually download the mesh with the texture and put them into your Skins folder, so the files are right there to look at. If you want to replace a head with a Maxis head, you'll need to open .far files with FarOut and find the names in there.

I've attached a picture of the head editing box for Betty Newbie, to show you another example of how this all works.

You'll see that her head string is

c001fa_mercedes,HEAD-HEAD=C001FAlgt_Shannon01

To edit her, you'd replace that c001fa_mercedes,HEAD-HEAD with the name of the .skn file (minus the xskin- and .skn, of course) and replace the C001FAlgt_Shannon01 with the name of a texture file that matches the skin file, minus the .bmp.

It really DOES work! I'm sorry I didn't explain how to find the strings to type in more detail in my initial post.
Screenshots

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 23rd May 2021 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Corylea
It really DOES work! I'm sorry I didn't explain how to find the strings to type in more detail in my initial post.

If the method I gave in the above post seems too difficult or too cumbersome -- I know some people don't find it as easy as I do to paw through file names -- there's another way that's even easier.

1. In the game, make a new sim that has the head and body you want. Save the game and exit.

2. Use iff Pencil 2 to open up the iff file for that new sim. Since you just made the sim, it should be easy to find them by using the Date Created sort.

3. Copy and paste the head and/or body strings -- whichever you want to use -- to your notepad. Copy the WHOLE THING; using this method, you don't have to figure out which is the mesh and which is the texture, because you're copying everything at once.

4. Close that sim and open the iff character file for the sim you want to change.

5. Delete the strings for the head and/or the body that you want to change and paste in the strings that you copied from the newly made sim. Make sure you copy bodies over bodies and heads over heads! :-)

6. Save the file, close it, and exit iff Pencil 2.

7. Back in the game, your edited sim should have the head and body you want. You can delete the sim you made just to get the string names, if you have no further use for them.

See? Simple!

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 24th May 2021 at 5:22 PM
Hi Again CoreyLea,
Thankyou so much CoryLea!!
I had to move my Userdata folder to the desktop then use IFF Pencil 2 but it worked!!! I cannot thankyou enough!!

You're very welcome!

Er, you might want to edit the post in which you declare that it is IMPOSSIBLE to edit a sim's head, since you have just, in fact, edited one. :D