Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 4:39 PM
Default Circular Walls?
I wonder if EA wil ever let us simmers have curved walls. I don't mean with CFE. I mean being able to have round or oval rooms. They must have at least thought about it, you know? It can't be that hard to do, not with the tech we have today.
What do you think? Will EA ever give it to us?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 4:50 PM
I agree it's about time we had that, and the technology has been there for ages, but in terms of innovation this is like two bridges too far for this design team. It would be an asset to the game rather than a gimmick, so that alone tells me the boneheads in suits would never consider such a ground-breaking idea.
I mean, who needs building tools when you can have Katy Perry decorative objects!

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 5:46 PM
Maybe it'll be featured in TS37.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 5:49 PM
I'd love to have circular walls so I'd be able to build my Pretty Odd room, but how would furniture fit up against the wall? Wouldn't they have to make all new meshes or something with every single piece of furniture in every EP/SP to work with the walls? I'd love it if they could make it work though.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 5:58 PM
Circles are high in polygons compared to angular walls. If overused, it could slow rendering in games. This is why most circular items are really not circles..but have lots of straight sides that make it look like a circle until you get close enough.

I don't know how this would work in Sims since it is a single player game rather than an MMO, but I suspect that it would add to all the CC and other features of the game and cause problems in some people's computers, again if overused. More than likely, EA just didn't want to deal with the issues of reduced performance from someone's game who built a bunch of circular walls.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 6:13 PM
I'd rather they did more useful things than circular walls. What would you even use them for apart from building the odd tower? And you won't even be able to hang anything on them them, no windows, no paintings, nothing.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sierrakusterbeck
I'd love to have circular walls so I'd be able to build my Pretty Odd room, but how would furniture fit up against the wall?

It wouldn't, in the same way that a real life couch doesn't fit flush against a curved wall unless it's been custom built. It'd work much better in TS3 than it ever could have in TS2, what with the native ability to rotate objects or place them off-grid and still have them be usable by Sims.
Scholar
#8 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
What would you even use them for apart from building the odd tower?

Ironically, that's the exact reason I would even want curved walls. I mean, I've made towers in the sims, but they were all square or octagonal. Not that I've actually made any towers recently, but...

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 8:09 PM
That..sounds like a bad idea, honestly. The polygon count would be pretty high, and it would be impossible to fit furniture into a circular room. I'll stick to square or octagonal towers, I think.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 9:29 PM
Well, if they made circular walls they would make windows to fit them, furniture to set against them, and so on....
I don't care about the polygon count. My PC can handle it...and by the time they brought them out I would probably have an even better PC.
I know that the sims is "just a game" but I try to have as much realism in my game as possible. Call me a fanatic. Or a simnatic.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 9:33 PM
You might not care, but some people will definitely care since many run this game on barely the minimum and fill it with CC. Why would EA want to tempt people to add a bunch of round stuff to their game and then have to deal with their complaints when the game lags? Not good business. Hmm..that probably means they will add them someday.
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 10:29 PM
I wouldn't need curve walls, but I would like to be able to have more options in angles.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by morphius1
My PC can handle it

Do not overestimate the power of your computer.

Overestimation leads to disaster, while underestimation leads to failure.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Do not overestimate the power of your computer.

Overestimation leads to disaster, while underestimation leads to failure.

Haven't experienced disaster or failure yet. But, of course, I spent almost two grand for my pc and it's made to handle high graphics games.
You can't fit 20 oz in a 8 oz bottle. Get a bigger bottle, or do without. If your pc/laptop can't handle the sims don't buy the sims.
Site Helper
#15 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 11:48 PM
But if your computer can handle the base game, it sometimes convinces people that it should be able to handle the base game plus all the EPs and SPs, plus 2G of CC.

Agreed, you can't put 20 oz into an 8 oz bottle. But putting 8 oz in and then constantly adding "just one more drop" also leads to disaster. And circular walls, etc. (Cool as they would be.) would be another "just one more drop" for people with lower-end systems.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 11:58 PM
I love how people make it seem like every lot in town would have curved walls. The face of a wall in game 1 polygon - top to bottom. A curve for a wall, depending on length would exceed no more than 20 polygons, 60 total. Even 100 isn't that bad, but then again, why would it need to. There are quite a few items in the game that except 60 polygons already. Sims included. Since they are used on mainly modern places, and places where a curve would naturally fit, it wouldn't kill anyone's computer as curved walls are, naturally, scarce.

And no one complained about curved pools, which do the same thing a curved wall would. Limit it to 5x5, and there would be no problem. And like above, furnishing isn't a problem, just rotate what you need. For windows, EA can make a few with a few purpose needs. Everyone is making this out to be more than it really is.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#17 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 11:59 PM
Why would curved walls be a problem? We have curved pools and fountains. Would it be all that different?

Edit: Ah matrix54 you got there first and basically answered my question.
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PhenethyaSim
why would curved wall be a problem? We have curved pools fountains would it be all that different?

Thank you, PhenethyaSim.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I love how people make it seem like every lot in town would have curved walls. The face of a wall in game 1 polygon - top to bottom. A curve for a wall, depending on length would exceed no more than 20 polygons, 60 total. Even 100 isn't that bad, but then again, why would it need to. There are quite a few items in the game that except 60 polygons already. Sims included. Since they are used on mainly modern places, and places where a curve would naturally fit, it wouldn't kill anyone's computer as curved walls are, naturally, scarce.

And no one complained about curved pools, which do the same thing a curved wall would. Limit it to 5x5, and there would be no problem. And like above, furnishing isn't a problem, just rotate what you need. For windows, EA can make a few with a few purpose needs. Everyone is making this out to be more than it really is.

Amen to that, matrix54!
Field Researcher
#20 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 12:07 AM
Well I wouldn't use circular walls unless I was building a castle. But I would not mind using 1x, 2x, or 3x curved walls along with straight walls. I think the option should be there. If your computer is on the low end then you would just have to use your discretion on what it can and cannot handle and so not use curved walls as much. I hardly think having one curved wall in your game will make it lag. Having many trees or many sims or reflection also does this. If you have to have your base game settings on low then you must know getting EPs won't help optimize your game.

Edit: matrix54, thank you. I completely agree.
Instructor
#21 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 12:23 AM
^ Yes in fact like matrix54 said curved walls with the same dimensions as the curved pool/fountain curved walls shouldn't be a problem. in fact this feature wouldn't add weight to any computer file unless they used it. unless EA used it extensively in hood but then you just don't use the hood if your computer can't handle it.

ALSO I'd like to point out that by saying this I'm not being disrespectful to people with lower computer specs. Trust me I was one of them once if your computer can't do it you just have to live with that.

Because its unfair to the rest of us if EA only includes things in the game that can be added to computers that fit the lowest specs.
Instructor
#22 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 12:37 AM
So basically, if one doesnt have a high powered computer that can run every EP without problem along with have 2gb of CC , they can just sit and be stuck playing the base game or minimal EPs because they just dont deserve to do anything more than that? that sounds like what some are saying to me. To be honest, Curved walls serve very little use in a lot of cases, which is why I do not believe EA didn't add them in. They are basically eye candy and would cause them to have to completely rebuild every single object to be able to fit this new wall which would serve no purpose in most cases of Games, not to mention have to hear numerous complaints of This breaking CC and the Lagging and crap performance on lower end machines (which I doubt EA wants. AFAIK EA would want a product that everyone can use, so they can attract more money and more customers).

I do not have the Ultimate gaming PC of my dreams that can run all three Sims games with all Ep's and 2gb of CC ( and To be honest I dont really need it, Im happy and fine with my laptop. It does all I need, and I can hang out wherever I want to. It's a bit slow, but that is because I keep a lot of Junk on it and I need to clean it) Yet I still have an ability to Run all EP's with a few Mods and some Patterns ( I dont usually run with all EP's, I use the AGS and untick Ep's I dont need depending on the game. And believe it or not I have fine performance with my games. A bit of lag, but Fine nonetheless)

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 12:41 AM
Honestly, anyone can test it in game now. Plop down about 20 of the round modern columns from the base game, or make a 10 5x5 (which is still kind of big) pools on a big lot. It your computer can handle a those, it can handle curved walls.

Hell, if you can handle the Sunset Valley pool on the lowest settings, which has plants galore, and the pool chairs have a trillion polygons (and thee quite a few) you can handle curved walls. -_-

^Ea doesn't need to rebuild anything. Curved pools serve a decorative purpose, and EA had no problem adding them in. Of course, they could add things for them, like a custom sectional, or walls, or whatever - even stairs - but that'd be icing on the cake. People forget/don't know that the Sims was a game about Architecture before "Sims" were added to the game. If people would like curved walls (even then the feature kind of already exists in the game), excuses about poly count are BS.

Instructor
#24 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 1:08 AM
To be honest, it is more like Candy. Pretty to have, but useless to keep. What would one do with these in a post apocalypse game or in a 1940's game or a not so modern/medieval game? besides, EA would have to rebuild a lot of shit, due to the fact that these curved walls would pose a possibility of breaking restrictions on object placement (along with add new states to Doors, arches, windows, and anything else they think of that would go along a curved wall) , the Floor placement, so saying " oh EA wouldn't have to rebuild anything" is not really true.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:01 AM
Maybe no rebuild, but they certain would have to build stuff to go along with it, if they felt so inclined. Have yo seen pool light on curved walls. Did it really bother you. Doors, arches, etc. on curves is necessary, but EA could make it if they felt like it.

The only real thing EA would need to do is way floor are handled, which are, also, polygons, and I'll tell you, handling floors in no an issue. It would probably amount to polygon usage and an alpha channel (and a few more fixes), but, like I said, everyone is over thinking this.

Being honest, nothing would be broken, because people are implying that people are asking for unrealistic stuff. Curved walls would act the way they do in real life. They look nice, and of course, can be used creatively, just like curved pool for a variety of purposed.

In terms of usability, that's been disproved by every item in the game - some thing just don't go everywhere. Would you use a palm tree in a snowy landscape? Would you use a curved wall for architecture in anything earlier then the 20th century?

Some people are really closed minded.

Page 1 of 3