Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#51 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 3:41 AM
The lot is occupied?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#52 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The lot is occupied?

No way, I know better than that! I don't want to screw up other people's games! None of the lots I upload, even just for testing purposes, will have ever seen the footstep of a Sim!

I just meant if you were running into the same problem I am, when you try to move a Sim in to test it, it'll probably crash, but if you relaunch the game and go back to the neighborhood, that Sim will actually have moved in successfully- and you'll see the house as being occupied with YOUR Sim (not mine)!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#53 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 8:43 PM
My Sim, Amy, was ecstatic to test-play Downton Abbey. So much so that the game couldn't contain her excitement the first time, and I needed to load the lot again to be able to play (thanks for letting me know that, Zarathustra). With that small exercise of patience, we were in.

I was surprised by the lack of lag. Don't get me wrong, it needed to be on two times the normal speed to pass any time, and it would hiccup and freeze for some time, but it was playable. She also didn't have any unusual wants, as she seemed aware that the lot was furnished with all she could desire.

My eye was immediately intrigued by the art studio. I did have to turn the easel to a 90 degree angle so Amy could use it, but otherwise, she made it up there and painted away with ease.

After that, I let her have free rein over her decisions. She spent the next few hours running through nearly every room of the castle, wondering, “What's this?” Then she discovered her muse in the ground floor's grand library; music. She wasn't interested in book learning, but she did love that piano.

The stray cat she invited in made itself comfortable by demolishing one of the dining room chairs. Then the welcoming committee arrived. No one had any route fails.

Halfway through the day, I experienced a mini-crash that the game managed to recover from. I sent everyone home after that to see if it would play smoother. That seemed to help.

So she idled the rest of the day wandering and trying to use everything she could get her mitts on. It's incredibly accessible; the positioning of the staircases means the Sims can quickly navigate through the lot. The only routing issues I suffered were from trying to use that easel and a diagonally placed lounge chair (because it had a lamp on its right side, where Amy was trying to approach from, as she evidently refuses to approach from the left). That chair was in the bedroom closest to the sewing room.

Really, you've done an incredible job. Like you, I wouldn't recommend this lot to be played, but it is playable.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#54 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 2:20 AM
Glad it worked out as well as that! (you know, once it actually opened! ) And the easel and lounge chair are both pretty easy fixes- anything else you've run into? (easy or hard to fix)

Sigh... on to the fine-tuning part of an upload... I never know how long to spend before I'm just wasting my time!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#55 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
No way, I know better than that! I don't want to screw up other people's games! None of the lots I upload, even just for testing purposes, will have ever seen the footstep of a Sim!

I just meant if you were running into the same problem I am, when you try to move a Sim in to test it, it'll probably crash, but if you relaunch the game and go back to the neighborhood, that Sim will actually have moved in successfully- and you'll see the house as being occupied with YOUR Sim (not mine)!

I thought you did that's why I was kind of shocked when you said occupied. It never hurts to double check things like that. Fans down poor Zarathustra and offers him a drink.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#56 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 8:09 PM
And of course the idea of taking a few more screenshots (for people who the lot is already too big for) completely slipped my mind yesterday... sorry about that! At any rate, here's a few shots of the servant's areas of the house, as well as some of the upstairs bedrooms- the shots I already put up of the main floor rooms are still pretty much unchanged- just the floor dividers have been pulled.

Like I'd said, the upstairs doesn't have quite that same visual *POP* that the main floor has, but I think it's at least in a similar style- and the ACTUAL building doesn't have as much flair once you're upstairs either, so I think it's kind of fitting- plus, it'll keep the lot at least a bit less massive, so it might be playable for a couple more people!
Screenshots

Instructor
#57 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Glad it worked out as well as that! (you know, once it actually opened! ) And the easel and lounge chair are both pretty easy fixes- anything else you've run into? (easy or hard to fix)

Sigh... on to the fine-tuning part of an upload... I never know how long to spend before I'm just wasting my time!

No other problems that I've seen. However, I wouldn't recommend social gatherings on this lot, as that seems to overwhelm the game too much and causes those mini-crashes, for me at least.

By the way, the upstairs was one of my favorite parts. The downstairs is gorgeously ornate, no surprise, but I was impressed by how comfortable the upstairs felt, as if people were really living there.

I know what you mean about the editing process, whether of Sims creations or any other creative work. I often feel like a mother bird with her fledglings trying to leave the nest. I want them to fly and have it over with, except I can't stop clinging to them and screeching, "No, you're still not perfect yet. Try it again!"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:15 AM Last edited by Zarathustra : 15th Sep 2014 at 4:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SleepyTabby
I know what you mean about the editing process, whether of Sims creations or any other creative work. I often feel like a mother bird with her fledglings trying to leave the nest. I want them to fly and have it over with, except I can't stop clinging to them and screeching, "No, you're still not perfect yet. Try it again!"

Exactly. I think I'm just going to have to cut myself off at this point- there's not much more *I* can think of to do. If I get more suggestions from the community soon, I'll work on them, but I think I'll probably spend most of my time after work the next week getting this lot prepped for upload.

...Now I just have to keep from making more of these immense places- I'm already coming up with ideas on how to make some of the hundred-thousand-square-foot "cottages" of Newport, Rhode Island...

EDIT: Well, the lot's up now! Hope you guys enjoy it, and thanks for all the help with this whole process!

Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: locked by request / uploaded / useful info inside
Page 3 of 3