Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2015 at 5:05 AM
Default [insert name here] Rec Centre
as Mays theme is "Get Fit" i thought a rec centre would be good, with content from all the eps. it has a pool with slide and diving boards, hot tub, sauna, fairly large change room/bathroom, indoor public gym, vending machines, soccer nets, indoor large ice rink, the ballet bars and stereo, indoor basketball hoops, and rooftop park with playground and grills.
so how is it? good enough to get uploaded? any feedback is welcomed.

oh I also can't come up with a name for it yet
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th May 2015 at 2:08 PM
I like the concept and idea

Architecturally it is very rectangular looking, could you include some bump outs to make the shape more interesting?
I think you have too many trees, especially at the front.
With the ice rink and basketball court I would remove all the window or put in high privacy style ones - you wouldn't want the glass to get broken by a ball!
How about adding in a cafeteria and a shop?
I'm not sure the rooftop play area really works. The trees up there would worry me - is the roof strong enough to hold them?

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th May 2015 at 7:20 PM
I agree with karenlorraine. Along the lines of a shopping and cafe. Maybe a a barista for coffee and espresso after a workout? Or just a bar for some post workout smoothies perhaps?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th May 2015 at 8:44 PM
The Rainbow Rec Center, since it's so colorful.

Scuff up the bark in the playground with some dirt terrain paint. If kids are playing there, the surface isn't smooth.

Is the roof above the basketball hoops high enough for them? The hoops are higher than a normal wall, and I can't quite tell.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th May 2015 at 1:40 AM
I like the colours.
Because it has a modern feel I would remove the brown fence and use a half wall or maybe a glass fence.
The toilets look like they might be a traffic jam problem. A sim only has to stand in that one tile corridor to block a sim inside a toilet stall.
I would remove some of the trees for shrubs.
I like the hedge but would not have trees on the roof top
I don't mind the shape of the building but some more shape will make it more interesting.
I agree with some kind of eating area.
I like peni's name for it, The Rainbow rec Centre.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th May 2015 at 8:55 AM Last edited by cord11 : 10th May 2015 at 9:25 AM.
I've added a restaurant to the building by shrinking the rink, and slightly rearranged the change/bathrooms, sims don't use the change room objects themselves so the 1 tile space there shouldn't be that bad, right? one of the pictures of the front of the building has trees above the stairs, the other doesn't. so how is it now and thanks for the advice so far.

oh the pictures don't show it but the exercise machines have been moved around slightly as weight benches are entered from the side

Edit: @ KarenLorraine glass is stronger than you might think, if birds can hit it at high speeds a basket ball would be fine, and a the gym at one of the two new schools where I live is supposed to have glass one what looks like every wall, so it's strong enough for a school it would be fine here.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th May 2015 at 11:38 PM
I like the updates

I'm still not liking the trees on the roof playground though, to me they look rather odd. I think your gym would look better with less machines in it - at the moment it looks rather crowded.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th May 2015 at 6:59 AM
I've changed the rooftop trees to smaller ones, I think the lot kinda needs them and rooftop trees have existed for a long time, just google it, the gym is fully playable when I tested it, well now anyway, and I've seen a much more crowded gym in real life, it was a sea of treadmills open to a mall. still thanks for the feedback

I'm still not sure on the name, I came up with get fit rec centre, but isn't that good, so what about Rainbow Fit Rec Centre? combining what was already suggested by Peni Griffin and my own horrible attempts at naming things.
Screenshots
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#9 Old 19th May 2015 at 10:59 PM
The images are far too small for me to comment on them, sorry. Regarding the name you really want something snappy and short

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th May 2015 at 11:48 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 20th May 2015 at 6:15 AM.
Well of course it's your lot and up to you but I agree with Karen on the trees and it looking overcrowded. I would not go by what you know of real life but what looks to be best and works best for sims. Sims do better with more space because lets face it, they are not the sharpest knife in the block. From a purely aesthetic point of view less machines would look better.

Your last 3 pictures are thumbnails, so I can't see them.

I liked the name Peni gave above.

Edit for spell check murdering a word.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th May 2015 at 5:00 AM
here's the full pictures, for some reason uploading them from the steam screenshot folder does that, for the trees to me there's never too much, some trees here are twice as tall as a 4 floor condo so my view is different, Here are some Google Streetview Links to show you what I mean, and if people don't like them they can always remove them themselves
as for the gym machines I've found there's never enough Sims at the lot at the same time for routing to be an issue, though I guess I could remove the middle two bikes that are still usable next to each other if anyone was wondering, and a treadmill could go i guess...

the more I think about it the more I like "the rainbow rec centre" as a name

and as always thanks for the help, why is there no thank you smilies would be useful
Screenshots
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th May 2015 at 5:12 PM
Thank you for the larger images

In all of those image links that you gave none of them have trees on the top of the buildings. They look very odd. I know people have rooftop gardens IRL but the trees are usually not much bigger than a bush.
I still think you have too many machines in the gym, especially the treadmills, I would try removing 2 of them.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st May 2015 at 4:09 AM
Hey, if your vision is trees on the roof, go for it.

I've had people trapped between machines I thought had plenty of space. Have you playtested a copy of this lot yet? No substitute for sims on the ground.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st May 2015 at 4:13 AM
those weren't pictures they were google streetview where you look around from the google car in a panorama and along roads click and move, the point was it doesn't look odd having trees on the roof to me not because any exist neat me but that trees are taller then most buildings here, even the bon voyage trees are too short, at least the ones on a lot, anyway wikipedia has a picture of a fairly sized tree in Vancouver but I can upload a rooftop tree version and a no rooftop tree version if it's that bothersome, now how do you make a gif for the cover image?

I'll change the treadmills when I get a chance.

Edit: yes I've playtested a copy and routing issues are non existent, here's a picture with the in game camera for proof, never been beat to posting before ninja'd is what it's called right?
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 21st May 2015 at 6:48 AM
I would remove the treadmills on the ends and have something decorative there instead.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th May 2015 at 6:21 AM
I've done some changes like add the emergency exit signs, changed the gym floor, add a few indoor plants, and replaced the two outer treadmills with small indoor trees as not sure what else to put there, need to fill space? use plants!

one thing that I'm slightly worried about is that the podium in the restaurant part had a sign on it, is it nothing or is it corrupting? I did replace it with another one, that shouldn't be an issue right? the original version of the lot was never played only a copy in a different neighbourhood
Mad Poster
#17 Old 24th May 2015 at 10:13 AM
The restaurant sign means there's something wrong with the construction of your restaurant and the podium can't spawn a host. When this happened to me, it was because it was a counter-only restaurant and I had the island counters turned the wrong way so no one could be seated. I don't have much confidence in my ability to read your pictures, but it looks as though you have a bartender, waitstaff, and a cook trying to spawn in a space that's too small for them. Is there a door to that kitchen? If the waitstaff can't get in and out it's not a viable kitchen. Start experimenting in the test version. NPCs spawn on entry, so you'll need to make a change, save, leave the building, and return.

It often spawns the NPCs when you open the lot in build mode, so use the test version to experiment so you won't have to mess with that crap in the upload one. Once you find out what works you only have to place them once. Keep a copy of the empty test hood folder open in the background and before you save the changes check to see the character folder is still empty. If it's not, quit without saving, get back in, and make the change again.

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#18 Old 24th May 2015 at 1:53 PM
That is looking better, but I don't think you need the trees in the corners of the gym

What programme are you using to take the screenshots? Can you take larger ones? Larger images are better

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th May 2015 at 7:02 PM
when I sent the Travellers to the copy the restaurant spawned the the staff fine, but I'm not sure if serving customers will work, there is a problem with checking the character files, there's already 363 I never used sheath hoods or anything, just a normal hood with bin sims, probably the hobby sims, garden club and townies, I've checked with SimPE but can't tell if any npcs are restaurant npcs, the hood has never had any sims moved in or lots out of build/buy, I think the game generates npcs at creation as I've found police, maids, repomen, shop clerks all in groups of 3

as for the trees I don't know what else to put there, not much gym deco even with all eps and sps so .......
I use steam to get screenshots as print-screen doesn't pick up the game, and steam's free,

thank you everyone for taking time to help me improve the lot :D
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#20 Old 25th May 2015 at 9:36 PM
Irfanview and Fraps are free too, those are the programmes that I use to take my upload images! Your images are a little blurry. Have you turned up your in game image settings? You can turn them down again for game play.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th May 2015 at 12:49 AM
I can't really see the blur other that on the podium sign, but I think that's EA's fault, could they just not be fully loaded? the graphics are always set to high for textures, sim, and objects quality, lighting is gunmod's radiance mod updated to apartment life, shadows are medium after the dreaded black box appeared under sims after updating drivers, smooth edges is off though, never noticed a difference anyway. the screen resolution is lower than the computer itself because the menus get a bit messed up and start covering thing like sims in cas
Mad Poster
#22 Old 26th May 2015 at 2:19 AM
Okay, if you're building this in a not-empty environment (I'm used to building for upload in AGS; for my own purposes I don't care how many new NPCs I spawn), then you'll need to open the character folder right before opening the building and make a note of what the last character number is. After you open the lot, check to see if it's gone up one. If it has, you just spawned an NPC. You can probably clean out references, but this is the sort of thing that makes people antsy so you need to be aware of it and make informed decisions.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th May 2015 at 3:32 AM
after opening the lot, saving exiting the lot, then opening it again replacing all there npc generating items and saving and exiting again the last item is still numbered at 363, so does that mean it was only the plesantview townies everyone loves to hate? and is it safe?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#24 Old 26th May 2015 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cord11
I can't really see the blur other that on the podium sign, but I think that's EA's fault, could they just not be fully loaded? the graphics are always set to high for textures, sim, and objects quality, lighting is gunmod's radiance mod updated to apartment life, shadows are medium after the dreaded black box appeared under sims after updating drivers, smooth edges is off though, never noticed a difference anyway. the screen resolution is lower than the computer itself because the menus get a bit messed up and start covering thing like sims in cas
The smooth edges does make a difference, when you submit the lot for upload (that is your intention, yes?) please submit images with the smooth edges set to high

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th May 2015 at 12:58 AM
ok I'll just have to put up with the lag when taking pictures, shouldn't be too bad
Page 1 of 2