Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 10:11 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Changing UI
Hey everyone,

I've been using SimPE recently and I came across these "UI Data" files in the UI.package. It shows different things such as tool tips, area.... Etc.... I tried changing some values or changing the tool tip to say something else but it didn't work. Is there a way to make it work? I'd like to some how change the way the UI looks unless it's been locked.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 10:38 PM
You can recolour the UI but it takes AGES AND AGES.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Scholar
#3 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 9:00 AM
None of the texts you see in the UI Data files are used, they don't contain the required language translations. You'll find a lot of them in the UIText.package in \TSData\Res\Text\. Also SimPE does not correctly handle those files and making changes within SimPE corrupts all of the carriage returns, extract the UI Data and use notepad on the extracted .simpe file to make changes as notepad does correctly retain the carriage returns.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2017 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
None of the texts you see in the UI Data files are used, they don't contain the required language translations. You'll find a lot of them in the UIText.package in \TSData\Res\Text\. Also SimPE does not correctly handle those files and making changes within SimPE corrupts all of the carriage returns, extract the UI Data and use notepad on the extracted .simpe file to make changes as notepad does correctly retain the carriage returns.

How does the UI work in terms of button placement? Is it in a certain .package file?
Scholar
#5 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 6:51 PM
No it's all in the UI.data
The file here will add an extra button to the UI for the overhead sub'hood chooser provided Mansion & Gardens is installed. This button will enable creating and accessing M&G suburbs.
https://app.box.com/s/3ybrkek5nl5rvkpwega2990bo5ingo65 (M&G-Suburbs.zip 25kb)

This is one of the lines that adds the button.
<LEGACY clsid=GZWinBtn iid=IGZWinBtn id=0x10000011 area=(73,10,113,50) fillcolor=(192,192,192) caption="Suburb Chooser (if EP17 install = btn exist)" wparam="0x030000f2,string,EPInstalled=EP17" winflag_visible=yes winflag_enabled=yes winflag_moveable=yes winflag_sortable=no winflag_pbuff=yes winflag_pbufftrans=yes winflag_pbufferase=yes winflag_alphablend=yes winflag_acceptfocus=no winflag_mousetrans=yes winflag_ignoremouse=no image={499db772,c11f0069} colorfontnormal=(0,0,0) colorfontdisabled=(0,0,0) colorfonthilited=(0,0,0) colorfontnormalbkg=(0,0,0) colorfontdisabledbkg=(0,0,0) colorfonthilitedbkg=(0,0,0) toggle=off triggerondown=off showcaption=no fill=yes autosize=no wrapcaption=no shiftcaption=yes tips=yes tipsdelay=no tipstimeout=no style=standard gutters=(0,0,0,0) tiptext="Click to access The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden suburbs." tipres={7fa7dc7c,03690002} tipoffsets=(0,0) tipflag=0x01000000 align=center btnclicksnd={00000000,ff33902e} >

id=0x10000011 : is used by the Game's executable to identify the button, using an id the executable is not programed to understand won't work
area=(73,10,113,50) : defines the button's size and location
caption="Suburb Chooser (if EP17 install = btn exist)" : caption is a string send to the game's executable, using a string the executable is not programed to understand won't work
wparam="0x030000f2,string,EPInstalled=EP17" : in this case if EP 17 (M&G) is installed use image part 2. The image consists of four parts, part 0 is for disabled, part 2 is for enabled
tiptext="Click to access The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden suburbs." : text tip to use if the text file can't be found. In this case the text file will not be found because this is originally from T&A.
tipres={7fa7dc7c,03690002} : the text file to use 7fa7dc7c is the file to use and in this case it translates to UIText.package. 03690002 is used in two parts 0369 is the instance number of the text list in UIText.package to use and 0002 is the line in that text list to use.
btnclicksnd={00000000,ff33902e} is a value sent to the executable on button press, this mostly let's the game know 'where' the button was pressed. The game will only respond to a value it is programmed to.

Trying to add stuff the game hasn't already been programmed to understand will at best do nothing, at worse it'll crash the game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:31 PM
Is that situated in the UI.package file in the UI folder?
Thank you for your help so far. I've never done this stuff before.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 3:24 AM
Sorry for the bump. Just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about changing the placement of the buttons on the UI?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 10:42 AM
Based on Christ Hatch's post you'd need to change the area variable for the button you want to move. I'd recommend looking at the code for a variety of buttons and comparing the area values to work out exactly what they refer to - presumably different UI panels have different IDs and then another value(s) will determine the location within the panel, though that's just a guess.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 9:34 PM Last edited by rocketman : 29th Aug 2017 at 4:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Based on Christ Hatch's post you'd need to change the area variable for the button you want to move. I'd recommend looking at the code for a variety of buttons and comparing the area values to work out exactly what they refer to - presumably different UI panels have different IDs and then another value(s) will determine the location within the panel, though that's just a guess.

I figured out area has something to do with position. Is there a way to search through all the files in SimPE its self without having to look through all 400 individually? I'm trying to single out buttons such as the live/build/buy mode buttons. But with 400+ files, I have no idea where to start.