Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 3:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashes when it's time to name the baby
I have this problem where the game crashes right at the moment when the baby naming dialogue box should appear.
I've done extensive testing in my game and I've determined that the problem is contained with one specific family. Everyone else functions just fine. Also, the baby naming is the only problem with the family, they had no problems until then. I've tried removing CC and moving the family onto a different lot, but it still keeps happening. I'd terminate the pregnancy, but unfortunately I managed to save right at the start of labour, so that doesn't work anymore.
Is there any way to save the family or are they irreparably lost?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 4:42 PM
Did you delete the cache files after remove CC?

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 5:58 PM
I always delete cache files before starting the game. More often than not, the game won't start unless I do.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 6:45 PM
I'm afraid that sounds as if there's a problem in the family, perhaps with the baby. The first thing to do would be to check that everyone has full, properly linked character data, which can most readily be done in SimPE.

If it were me, however, I'd be inclined to restore a recent backup.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 8:09 PM
Actually, it might be the skin. Some old skintones didn't have a proper baby stage.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#6 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 8:57 PM
I heard that one of Season's pre-made families had a problem with a pre-made pregnancy. If the family is them, I heard that the problem is fixed with a patch.

If the family is some other family, might check if your problem applies to every sim in the family.
One way to test that would be to follow these steps::
1. copy the family & lot to the AnyGameStarter (downloads section of this site).
2. terminate the AnyGame version of the pregnancy.
3. in the AnyGame, make every member of the family an Adult.
4. cause self-pregnancies with each of them.
5. one at a time, speed up the pregnancies; probably at least 1 sim hour in between each speeding up.
6. shortly before the first birth, save game.
7. if the game does not crash, save game. if game crashes, terminate that pregnancy then save; and write the sim's name on paper.
8. repeat steps 6 & 7 with the remaining pregnancies.
If each of the self-pregnancies do not cause crashes, the cause is the original baby. If any of the self-pregnancies cause crashes, the cause is/are the written names.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jul 2015 at 10:03 PM
The character data for the parents looks to be fine. So it's probably the baby.
Sadly, the neighbourhood is so new I hadn't made a backup yet.

I highly doubt it's the skin. I've used the same skins for over five years and never had any problems. Also, I happened upon the skintone crashing topics while looking for solution for my problem and all of those had the game crashing before the baby popped out. My game crashes after the birth and I can clearly see the skin working properly on the baby.

I'll try the AnyGame thing tomorrow.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 3:09 AM
Move them to a blank lot and see if you can have and name the baby there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 9:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Move them to a blank lot and see if you can have and name the baby there.
the original poster already moved them to a different lot. told so in the opening post.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 11:07 PM
I didn't mean the family I meant just the pregnant sim. (although I wasn't very clear) This issue is probably with the mum or the baby and still wont work but this has worked for some things.

Then again forget that she is giving birth and can't get to a computer.

OP, check that you don't have any CC lurking in your saved sims folder. That is about the last thing I can think of as everything else I would suggest has been covered.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 6:45 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I have fixed the issue.
Thanks to everyone who replied!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 7:03 PM
@ClericalRodent
It would be nice to know how you got it fixed just incase someone else has the same problem.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
@ClericalRodent
It would be nice to know how you got it fixed just incase someone else has the same problem.

^ This. I don't have this issue, but I hate when I'm looking for a fix of an issue I do have, discover someone who made a thread about the same issue, and later on states s/he fixed it but never explains how. Right up there with the thread having no replies or solutions at all...
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 12:50 PM
@ClericalRodent I know this was ages ago but if you remember how you fixed it, please please can you tell me! I'm having this issue right now