Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 9:51 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Number of sims on community lots only two.
My computer boots into Windows 10 and Windows 7 - the latter because I had problems installing Sims 2 on Windows 10. I now have the Ultimate Collection, and have copied my game across to Windows 10.

After fixing shadows, graphic resolution and the like all seemed well until I took a sim to a community lot and there were only two others there. If I take the same sim to the same lot on the disk version on Windows 7, the lot is crowded. I know there is nothing in my downloads affecting this - I removed them and checked it out with Don Lothario in an unplayed Pleasantview.

I have searched and found a cheat to increase the number of sims, and put that in my userstartup.cheat file, and it works, but it seems wrong that the UC should allow so few visitors, without a cheat, so I am wondering if there is something else I could be missing.

kat
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 10:30 AM
No it's your computer-and the game, and the cheat file is the correct way to fix it. Check if you have both a graphics card and a chip that the game isn't running on the chip.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
No it's your computer-and the game, and the cheat file is the correct way to fix it. Check if you have both a graphics card and a chip that the game isn't running on the chip.

Ah, thank you. I suppose this should now be shifted to the Graphics section, if I knew how!

The computer has a card, and the motherboard apparently has a graphics chip as well as integrated graphics in the processor ( according to my other half who understands these things!). It would seem the disk version is definitely off the card, and the graphics for the UC version otherwise seem too good to be off a chip. The last time I only saw 2 other sims on a community lot ( about the time Uni came out ) my card was so poor the Sims had no fingers. We don't know how to check if the game is running off the chip, or how to change that. If anyone can tell me that would be great. If not, well, at least I have fixed the game with the cheat.

kat
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 3:04 PM
@ladykatsim
This might get you both halves started.

http://modthesims.info/t/487073

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
@ladykatsim
This might get you both halves started.

http://modthesims.info/t/487073

That was interesting. I followed a link there to how to force the card to run the game and we thought we had done it - but it didn't give me more than 2 visiting sims ( I removed the cheat to check ). Oh well. :-)

kat
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 8:06 PM
Each new version of Windows uses more RAM than the previous version. It's possible that the game sees less memory available to it under Windows 10 than it had under Windows 7 and that's why it's only allowing 2 visitors per lot unless you use that cheat. (Just a guess.)

I had a similar problem on my old computer - I added Mansion & Garden Stuff and all of a sudden my community lots were ghost towns. I'm pretty sure it was a RAM or Processor issue - the M&G game engine thought my old computer was inadequate to handle more than 2 sims per lot when earlier versions of the game had no problem with it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Each new version of Windows uses more RAM than the previous version. It's possible that the game sees less memory available to it under Windows 10 than it had under Windows 7 and that's why it's only allowing 2 visitors per lot unless you use that cheat. (Just a guess.)

I had a similar problem on my old computer - I added Mansion & Garden Stuff and all of a sudden my community lots were ghost towns. I'm pretty sure it was a RAM or Processor issue - the M&G game engine thought my old computer was inadequate to handle more than 2 sims per lot when earlier versions of the game had no problem with it.

This computer was built for Windows 10, and has 8GB of RAM. The old one ran the game with plenty of sims around on half that RAM, but of course it was only XP. You could be right, and the Windows 7 boot can't believe its luck. ;-)

kat