Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 4:59 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 20th Apr 2017 at 6:09 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Window Cutouts Don't Work If Sharing a Tile With Another Object After Lot Load
So, this isn't a new problem, I've just always thought it was default behavior but after downloading so many other lots and having to fix this, it leads me to believe that maybe other people do not have this issue?

Whenever I put any other object (except curtains, thank goodness) on the same tile as a window, and then save and reload the lot, the window cutout is no long working. I see the mesh for the window, but the wall is covering it again and whatever was in the way is there as well. To fix this I have to move the object somewhere else and pick up and put the window back down again and make sure nothing else is in its tile space. If I choose not to pick up and put down the window again but simply move away the intruding object, save and reload, the window cutout will be working again.

Is this normal game behavior, or does that not happen to other people, and how can I join their ranks? Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere, or my graphics card is choosing the wrong thing? I'd really love to be able to do this too, like how these windows suggest their mix and match usage, but if I have to replace the windows every time I lot a lot, it's entirely useless, especially for lots that I can't do that, like apartments.

Am I crazy or is this a thing? Thanks!
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 5:03 PM
That doesn't happen for me, no. I do find that when a cutout isn't working, a quicker way of fixing it can be to draw a section of wall perpendicular to the window and then sledgehammer it - but that still doesn't answer why it's happening so often for you. :/ It's not a CC issue, is it?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 5:55 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 20th Apr 2017 at 6:08 PM.
I didn't think it was, as I've done plenty of work inside clean Anygames, but I'll go look for it especially. I also didn't think it was related to my computer, because I've had three different computers all doing the same thing. Maybe it is some really old piece of CC that I never run without causing a conflict. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll report back.

Edit: Problem didn't happen in one of my AnyGames. It must be a bit of bad CC in my real game. I'll go track it down. Thanks for letting me know I had an issue!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 6:28 PM
Is this somehow different from the problem of doors and windows placed with move objects on sinking into the wall?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 7:05 PM
What do you mean by 'sinking'? Like lowering or rather moving into?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 8:44 PM
You can't see through the window (or door) anymore, it's just the frame around the wall. What you're describing sounds like the same thing, and since you're specifically running into it when windows share a wall with something other than curtains, I'd expect it to be the same thing.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
That doesn't happen for me, no. I do find that when a cutout isn't working, a quicker way of fixing it can be to draw a section of wall perpendicular to the window and then sledgehammer it - but that still doesn't answer why it's happening so often for you. :/ It's not a CC issue, is it?

I just press the undo button - actually I prefer to use a square of staging but anything that forces the game to reload the wall cutouts works.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 10:47 PM
Peni, yes, that sounds exactly like my problem. What is known about it? Any reason why it would show up in my main game but not in an AnyGame as I just discovered?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 11:16 PM
I don't know anything about it technically. When you build in BG AGS to share, you don't get the effect on your own machine, but the people you share it with do. I don't know if there's an EP at which that changes.

I can always fix it by deleting the conflicting item, deleting the window, replacing it without move_objects on, then turning the cheat on to place the conflicting item. If the cheat's not on when you place the window originally, it should be all right, so it's preventable just by placing all windows and doors first, and then turning the cheat on to do your fancy, fiddly furnishing.

retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 11:42 PM
My AGS that I just tested it in was a full game not a BG does that make a difference? The problem with that 'fix' is it only lasts while I'm currently on that lot, as soon as I reenter it, the problem is back. I'm still hoping it might just be as simple as a bad bit of CC somewhere.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:35 AM
So..you have no trouble putting an object in front of a window, but when you reload the lot, the game thinks that you have 2 objects on the same tile, and so ruins your window placement..right?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:55 AM
Well, I have to use move_objects to put the object into the window in the first place, and it still looks like a window until I reload the lot. It doesn't care about things like couches or other things on the ground sharing the same tile space as the window.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:03 AM
Oh ok. Sorry. I'm trying to figure out too, what could be your problem. Now if you use moveobjects..to me it is the same deal. There are still 2 objects instead of just one, the window. It cannot display the cutout properly, as..it must also reserve a place for the objects. But since this does not happen in all your games, it confuses me too.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 12:49 PM
Oh, hang on - is this only happening with wall hanging objects then?

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#15 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 1:00 PM
Into the window? Like a wall sticker, suncatcher type of thing? Or just on the same time? (Asking because you said "into the window".)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:18 PM
Yes, sorry I should have made that clearer, wall hangings are the biggest issue, but I also see it when two doors try to share the same tile (one is on a diagonal wall and the other is right next to it.) I noticed it mostly because PB has a bunch of OFB Business signs stuck to her Backdoor Lane windows and I've been having to fix each one in this downtown I'm doing now. I'll get pictures soon.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#17 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:37 PM
Oh! That's normal behaviour. Sorry, I thought you meant objects in general. I've never heard of anyone not experiencing that, or being able to permanently fix it. (Though the discussion above about EP changes is interesting)

Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:46 PM
Then would it work, if you would put the item first, and then the window, using moveobjects? maybe then the game would prioritize the window(cutout) over the item(not cutting the wall) because it was saved last?
item first, window last..it should work in that order.
You would not see the cutout until you save and reload, but at least..entering your lot would fix it instead of breaking it?

Scholar
#19 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:51 PM
It is default behaviour, there's nothing wrong with your game. Wall hangings are only the biggest issue because they are the most common things misused that way. After removing the 'in the way item' Drag then un-drag a wall 90° to the affected door/window will fix it.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 4:53 PM
Ok, now I can't recreate my 'bug' or this 'normal game behavior'. After unfixing those lots (putting the offending object back on the window) saving and exiting the game, reloading the game, the windows are back to being fine. Maybe something did change with the EPs? Both my full AG and my full normal are displaying windows and wall hangings in the same time properly.

I have pictures this time. The baby room with the paintings on the windows is from my AG, and the shop is from my full game. It's actually one of my downloadable lots, and when I first put it back into my game, that bug sticker was making the window cutout not work so I moved it. I've since put it back, saved and exited, and reloaded and everything is still fine?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#21 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 6:20 PM
Rosebine, you have to place the window first, with move objects off, and then place the other item. All doors and windows placed when move objects is on, whether or not anything's placed on top of them, tend to sink into the wall.

I'm glad you're working normally now, Phaehnoh. I guess it was Just One of Those Things.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Rosebine, you have to place the window first, with move objects off, and then place the other item. All doors and windows placed when move objects is on, whether or not anything's placed on top of them, tend to sink into the wall.

yes they do sink into the wall. This is why i said, that once you save, go back to hood and reload, your windows should then show properly. same deal with roof vs windows. When the roof is too low, and a window won't place, use moveobject. It will place. but will only show properly after you reload.