Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 21st Feb 2010 at 10:47 AM
left_street wrote: "I have the latest version of S3PE, when I open the gameplaydata.package file found in "The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay" I can't find any TV line."

If you sort in S3PE alphabetically it's impossible not to find the TV resource. If you are new to s3pe, when you've opened the gameplaydata file click on the word Name at the top of that column and everything will be alphabetical.

Copy this TV resource into a new package, edit this per the post which you quoted, under the spoiler buttons. Simply copy and paste all the lines from one of the channels and change the name on it. If it says Level 4 (or whatever) put this at 1 instead. Level 1 channels are the ones available on all TVs when purchased, the other Level means that you have to upgrade the TV to get the channel.

Then you have to make a STBL file to suit your particular channel name to avoid that ***Gameplay\Excel stuff, as others have posted here. I've never changed any STBL files so can't give any advice about it.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 21st Feb 2010 at 2:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
left_street wrote: "I have the latest version of S3PE, when I open the gameplaydata.package file found in "The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay" I can't find any TV line."

If you sort in S3PE alphabetically it's impossible not to find the TV resource. If you are new to s3pe, when you've opened the gameplaydata file click on the word Name at the top of that column and everything will be alphabetical.

Copy this TV resource into a new package, edit this per the post which you quoted, under the spoiler buttons. Simply copy and paste all the lines from one of the channels and change the name on it. If it says Level 4 (or whatever) put this at 1 instead. Level 1 channels are the ones available on all TVs when purchased, the other Level means that you have to upgrade the TV to get the channel.

Then you have to make a STBL file to suit your particular channel name to avoid that ***Gameplay\Excel stuff, as others have posted here. I've never changed any STBL files so can't give any advice about it.

Ok thank you very much for your help!
Hope someone can find audio codec.
Test Subject
#78 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 3:41 PM
Ok guys I got it!

How to create custom TV channels for Sims 3.

1) Download and install vp6 codec from here
Code:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VP6.htm

2) Download VirtualDub from here
Code:
http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

3) With any video editing software resize your video to 256 width 256 height.
4) Open your video in VirtualDub, go to File\Save as .avi and save your video somewhere.
5) With the VirtualDub still opened go to File\Save .wav and save your wav file in the same folder as your avi.
6) Download the Sound eXchange and the Sound eXchange GUI
7) Extract both in the same folder and run the GUI.
8) Browse your wav source file, browse the destination folder and press Create.
9) Download VP6 Builder and extract it in the same folder as sound eXchange and sound eXchange GUI
10) Run VP6 Builder, browse your video file, check "Audio" button and browse your audio file, browse destination folder and press "GO!".

11) Download Postal and open the C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\fullbuild1.package (no matter if you have expansion).
Then order the list by Long Name, scroll down and you will see Vp6\SXxI Movies. These files are the TV files. If you want to replace a channel you will need to export one of these files to rename your video with the name of the exported Vp6\SCxI Movies file. If you don't know which one of these files to export then just export all of them, then convert them to avi though EA converter and choose which one's name you want to use for your video file.

12) Let's say we want to replace the Sports channel. Export the Vp6\SCxI Movies file with type "0xb1cc1af6" and instance "0xf598cca52fa63fe2" anywhere in your computer. Copy the name from exported video from Postal and paste it to your vp6 video file.
13) Now open S3PE, create a new file and go to Resource\Import from file.
Browse to your renamed vp6 file, click open and click ok.
14) Now just save your file as a .package file (no matter what name it is).
15) Go to your Sims 3 root folder (if you have an expansion then go to Sims 3 world adventures root folder) and create a folder named "Mods". Inside it create another one called "Packages". Go back to the root folder and create a text document called Resource.cfg. Inside it copy and paste this:

Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package

16) Now just copy n' paste your file into Mods\Packages folder that you created before and run the game.
Sit in front of a TV, open it and change channel to Sports.
You should see your video playing WITH sound.

For any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help you.

If something is wrong in this tutorial or I missed some credit sorry, notify me and I will add it.

Tutorial part 6,7,9,11 files and help found in phpBB forum

If someone wants to copy this tutorial to another forum please credit me for my work and this forum thread as in the tutorial are used some ideas from members who wrote in this thread.
Test Subject
#79 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:02 AM
hey cool! i'll try this after i got back from work... hope it works.... can't wait to put those gundam 0079 vids i'd just ripped from my remastered dvds
Test Subject
#80 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by left_street
Ok guys I got it!

Code:

Code:

4) Open your video in VirtualDub, go to File\Save as .avi and save your video somewhere.
5) With the VirtualDub still opened go to File\Save .wav and save your wav file in the same folder as your avi.
9) Download VP6 Builder and extract it in the same folder as sound eXchange and sound eXchange GUI
10) Run VP6 Builder, browse your video file, check "Audio" button and browse your audio file, browse destination folder and press "GO!".

11) Download Postal and open the C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages\fullbuild1.package (no matter if you have expansion).
Then order the list by Long Name, scroll down and you will see Vp6\SXxI Movies. These files are the TV files. If you want to replace a channel you will need to export one of these files to rename your video with the name of the exported Vp6\SCxI Movies file. If you don't know which one of these files to export then just export all of them, then convert them to avi though EA converter and choose which one's name you want to use for your video file.

12) Let's say we want to replace the Sports channel. Export the Vp6\SCxI Movies file with type "0xb1cc1af6" and instance "0xf598cca52fa63fe2" anywhere in your computer. Copy the name from exported video from Postal and paste it to your vp6 video file.
15) Go to your Sims 3 root folder (if you have an expansion then go to Sims 3 world adventures root folder) and create a folder named "Mods". Inside it create another one called "Packages". Go back to the root folder and create a text document called Resource.cfg. Inside it copy and paste this:

Priority 500

16) Now just copy n' paste your file into Mods\Packages folder that you created before and run the game.

If something is wrong in this tutorial or I missed some credit sorry, notify me and I will add it.

If someone wants to copy this tutorial to another forum please credit me for my work and this forum thread as in the tutorial are used some ideas from members who wrote in this thread.

I just did this and it worked perfectly. The only changes I would make is to mention that when using the Virtual Dub, click on "Video" and then "Compression..." then select "VP60 Simple Profile" and ok. Also theres a tiny typo where you say SXxI instead of SCxI. Other than that, perfect, and thank you very much!!!

Don't compare yourself to me... You'll make yourself feel bad...
Field Researcher
#81 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:18 PM Last edited by Odistant : 26th Feb 2010 at 7:29 PM.
Ok guys I got it!

Code:

Code:

Priority 500

You will also need to create the channel itself. That's for just the video. I posted a guide on how to do that near the bottom of the first page.

I will see if I can do this the same way but make it more detailed so we can get some videos on MTS3 Download section.

Nice work guys
Mad Poster
#82 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 1:14 AM

When I run the VP6 Builder with the .dat audio file and my .avi vid (made with vp6 in VirtualDub) the audio is out of sync with the video in my final vid. On the progress bars in Builder the audio goes much faster and the video lags behind. It looks exactly the same in game, audio plays normal and video lags on the TV, so the vid takes a minute longer to play.

I thought I'd ask in case you've seen this and know what's causing it. Possibly my source AVI should have a specific type of audio: dvd audio as opposed to Lame mp3 or whatever?

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#83 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 11:47 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 27th Feb 2010 at 2:28 PM. Reason: please use edit button, do not triple post
Quote: Originally posted by t0b1a5
I just did this and it worked perfectly. The only changes I would make is to mention that when using the Virtual Dub, click on "Video" and then "Compression..." then select "VP60 Simple Profile" and ok. Also theres a tiny typo where you say SXxI instead of SCxI. Other than that, perfect, and thank you very much!!!

Sure thanks for notice! I will fix it!

Quote: Originally posted by Odistant
You will also need to create the channel itself. That's for just the video. I posted a guide on how to do that near the bottom of the first page.

I will see if I can do this the same way but make it more detailed so we can get some videos on MTS3 Download section.

Nice work guys

Sure of cource. This tutorial is just to edit existing channels. Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
When I run the VP6 Builder with the .dat audio file and my .avi vid (made with vp6 in VirtualDub) the audio is out of sync with the video in my final vid. On the progress bars in Builder the audio goes much faster and the video lags behind. It looks exactly the same in game, audio plays normal and video lags on the TV, so the vid takes a minute longer to play.

I thought I'd ask in case you've seen this and know what's causing it. Possibly my source AVI should have a specific type of audio: dvd audio as opposed to Lame mp3 or whatever?

If the length of your video is bigger than 25 seconds, it lags.
Don't know why but I noticed when I put a small video in length it is good. No lags etc.
Try reducing the length of your video.
Test Subject
#85 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 9:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
left street please do not triple post.

Ok I'm sorry
Test Subject
#86 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 9:35 AM
hey left street, ive tried loseless AVI with 25 secs and 30 secs as well the least and the vid lags during the middle part in-game but the first and last secs of the vid is ok. what kind of avi compression did you use for your vids?
Test Subject
#87 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:32 PM
hey guys, i did trial and error on this lag issue. I tried converting my 25 secs vid file to .vp6 without sound, it seems like it has no lag. changing the bit rate of the wav file to 22050 then adding it to the vp6 converter made it lag less in-game. I'm not sure if it is because of the .wav file or the VP6 converter
Test Subject
#88 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MasterRevan2009
hey left street, ive tried loseless AVI with 25 secs and 30 secs as well the least and the vid lags during the middle part in-game but the first and last secs of the vid is ok. what kind of avi compression did you use for your vids?

I used many but didnt notice any diference.
Test Subject
#89 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 6:59 AM
strange. sims 3's vp6 vids may have some kind of a special config for its vids to run that smooth, where our converted vids go lag ^_^
Test Subject
#90 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 1:53 PM
But this is all we could figure out. So work with the things that we have and keep searching for something better
Field Researcher
#91 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:42 PM Last edited by Odistant : 7th Mar 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Working up tutorial now. I have experience with writing tutorials. I was the first to write a detailed tutorial on how to mod SPORE when it was first released. So, Expect it to be released in about a couple days. I'll post up a raw version, witch may or may not include pictures, so you guys can test it out and make sure that it works perfectly and add in your suggestions in case I missed something

Edit: Chapter 1 is finished. Chapter 2 should be out tomorrow witch will go through adding in the video files and getting rid of the ***GameplayData/Excel../*** stuff. Enjoy this for now. Note that this is a very, very beta version of the tutorial I guess you could say. I'll add in credits to everyone that has helped in making custom TV channels. I included the .docx file as well as the .pdf. The .docx is if you wish to add in some extra info for me to take a look at and the .pdf is for viewing.

Edit 2: I did it! Got Chapters 1, 2, and 3 finished. I changed the programs used and added the extra chapters as well as refined some of the errors in Chapter 1. I also included a folder that's called Programs for Video Conversion witch includes the EA converter, SoundXchange, and the others like that. The next version of the tutorial will include the finished version of Chapter 4 as well as some more additional notes and the credits.

Edit 3: It seems that EA changed some coding with the video channels in the new update. Theirs now a slot for "Expansion Pack" channels. I'm guessing this is for the new EP coming out.

Edit 4 (lol): Updated guide. Finished up Chapter 4, added in the Credits, included the conversion programs since it seems the links are broken now, and I also included the source images if your wanting to edit the .docx and mistakenly delete the wrong image or want it back. I also changed the method used for converting the videos and giving the TV.xml file it's own Instance ID seemed to cause some problems so I removed that part. The .docx and Images folder wont be included in the final release of the tutorial. Expect the next release to include the rest of the images (Title Page and images for Chapter 4).
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Odistant_Custom_TV_Channels_S3_Vers010.rar (3.45 MB, 435 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Newest version of the guide. Includes the Conversion Programs, The .docx tutorial with the source images, as well as the .pdf for viewing
Test Subject
#92 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 8:40 PM
Thank you. Great work. Only one thing. In Stubble editor change language bar to your native language before edit.
Field Researcher
#93 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 9:28 PM Last edited by Odistant : 9th Mar 2010 at 4:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lucky_Lee
Thank you. Great work. Only one thing. In Stubble editor change language bar to your native language before edit.

Adding that in next version. Thanks Lucky_Lee. Also, the next release will use a different converting way. I'll explain more about that later.

Anyways, working on a S3CTVC (Sims3CustomTVChannelCreator) using .NET witch will be used with s3pi and give a very easy GUI to create TV Channels very easily. Don't expect it for another few weeks (Alpha release), but it's something to look forward too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#94 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 1:29 AM
Wow. I mean, wow. I've been out of Sims 3 for awhile due to other stuff I've been doing, but I'm glad you guys figured this out! Nice work to everyone who contributed! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to finally create the "Whose Line is it Anyway Network"!
Test Subject
#95 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 1:53 AM
Yeah that is awesome. I was able to add some videos, but I messed something up along the way cause the Channel name in game TV Menu doesn't show properly. It shows a whole line of where the video/package is located with name at end. But I'll figure it out (I hope).
Awesome work though guys.
Field Researcher
#96 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crappyone
Yeah that is awesome. I was able to add some videos, but I messed something up along the way cause the Channel name in game TV Menu doesn't show properly. It shows a whole line of where the video/package is located with name at end. But I'll figure it out (I hope).

You need to use Stubble to fix that.

In stubble, go under Gameplay>Excel>TV>TVChannel and now insert a new data item by clicking on the blank line. In the first collloum, insert the name that you put in <ChannelName> value. The next line, put in anything you want it to say. Then go under File>Save As. Name it the same name as your TVChannel package, but with STBL at the end. Keep the values the same in the next box that pops up. Now, insert this package into your Mods folder as well as the TVChannel package. Load up the game, and no more weird channel name . The tutorial I uploaded explains that and more.

Anyways, update on the program, I finished making the GUI. I now just need to code the program to show everything in a package and allow you to add a new resource. I'm having trouble doing this with the S3PI though. If anyone could help, that would be great
Test Subject
#97 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 8:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crappyone

And also select the proper language.
e.g. I am using greek and it works great.
Test Subject
#98 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 4:23 PM Last edited by crappyone : 11th Mar 2010 at 7:37 PM.
Yeah I followed the Tutorial you made, which is great btw, but there were a few steps that didn't seem totally clear to me.
I did do the Stubble part of the Tutorial, but wasn't sure what to do with that after I saved it and what to save it exactly as.
So file needs to look like: <Channel Name>.stbl.package then place that in Mods folder with other package file? **Yep that was it, got it working**

Thank you much for this Odistant.

Only problem I have now is there is a bar (usually black) at the bottom of TVs of my videos in game. When I check my videos before converting to .vp6 and after (using VLC player) and they seem fine, but in the game they're not.
**Figured out problem with bar at bottom. It was cause I kept aspect ratio when resizing. Also Vdub has a filter to resize video when you convert to VP60 (? don't remember exact name of codec). Did 256x256 even with WS video and that works, the game stretches out video automatically.
Trying to add my 3rd channel and having problems. Went through Tutorial again like I did the 2nd, but I must've missed something.
Ahh this makes Sims 3 that much more fun for the wife. Thanks again guys
Test Subject
#99 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 4:23 AM
alright ^_^ cool. we'll find some way of fixing that in-game video lag in the future
Test Subject
#100 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 2:56 PM
ahh that sounds neat....trouble is i got load of videos i wanted to put in. of various gameplay films iv made. ahh well, when i feel confident enough, ill give it ago and follow the tutorial and junk...

great work o.o

Amaranthus for Asmodeus
Page 4 of 9