Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 1:02 AM Last edited by simserenity : 26th Aug 2015 at 9:42 AM.
Hair Retextures - Various Families, one gray
Hi

I am facing a problem with a bunch of hair retextures made with Pooklet's actions. Some of you know probably that the Pooklet palette is kinda varied. So I got 4 families of binned natural colors that I want to link to one and unique gray color in elder category. I use to bin my hairs with Hair Binner by CatOfEvilGenius, but I was bining Remi-like textures, so it was easy to link.

I ask the question here, but I don't know if that's possible at all. Did someone know how to link 4 families into one only gray ? So I don't need 4 gray that are the same one ? Is that possible ?

Thanks !
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 5:48 AM
If you're trying to save on space, the only way I can think of is quite a bit of work compared to the Hair Binner, honestly. You would need to delete three of the family's gray textures, then edit each Material Definition in SimPE to redirect the gray hair to look at the remaining file. You would not need to edit the One Chosen Gray hair.

CatofEvilGenius wrote a tutorial on this kind of method for skintones, but theoretically, it should work for hairs, too. She broke down the relationship between the Material Definition resource and the Texture image excellently.

In summary:

*Backup your files in case anything goes wrong.
*You want to delete the grays in three out of four of your families. It's a good idea if you bin them with the Hair Binner first, then go delete the spare gray hairs.
*Read Cat's tutorial to until you feel comfortable attempting the steps.
*When you get to Step 3 of Removing Redundant Textures, open up the file that still has its gray hair. Find the gray hair's file name, copy it, then edit the Material Definitions in the three other families that are currently missing their gray hairs.
*I think you would skip Step 4 in this case.

Let me know if this works or not. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure if I'm pointing you in the right direction.