Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 5:46 PM
Default 3-4 Bedroom Home
Hello everyone!

I wanted some new houses for my simmies and started browsing for some inspiration. I came across a floor plan for a New American home that came with sketches of the house and I just had to make it. I tweaked the floor plan a bit but otherwise I built it just the same as I saw it. Took me a while but it's finished and I'm quite happy with it but I appreciate any feedback, thanks :D

It's either a 4 bedroom or 3 bedroom depending on what people want to use the misc room for and it costs $55,670. I tried to avoid using too much CC but whoops I failed

Front - I'm not too sure about the octagonal roof, it was on the house sketch and I kinda like it but it's so tall...

Back - I really was too lazy to fix the slope at the back when I leveled the lot.

First Floor

Second Floor

Overlook

Foyer Overlook
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 5:52 PM
good floor plan but i think the roof slopes are way too high. i would also try to make the back parts of the roof connect better to the main part. It's just my preference but the octaganol roof in the front looks very strange.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 5:58 PM
Thanks for feedback, I see what you mean, I'll mess around with the back roof
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2014 at 7:18 PM
First of all: great looking house! I like the way it looks from the outside specifically!

Now, jheyjuneice, I'm gonna try to point out stuff one floor after the other, so, first; the ground floor:

Don't panic! While other rooms are fine, there are just a bit of things that need editing.

I think the picture is pretty self explanatory. Nevertheless, I'll explain why I think the bathroom is where it should be as shown by the white rectangle. In my opinion, all bathrooms should have a window, so, I think it would be best if you place it as shown above, with a window on the side facing the garage. The Misc. room becomes the study, so it will loose the narrow part adjacent to the original study.

And, just a question: what is the purpose of the "Great room"?

And one thing that it making twitch () is that the staircase doesn't have a square landing (2x2 stage landing), so, if you can adjust that it would be great!

Sorry for all the editing-requests, just trying to help and make it all 'perfect'!
Screenshots
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:07 AM
I quite like what you have already achieved but there are some aspects that I would change. The roofing overall looks too high but especially the octagonal roof. I would lower that and maybe make the room smaller. Your floor plans are interesting, I would try to minimise the amount of diagonal walls that you use because it makes it more difficult to furnish effectively. The master bathroom is too large. I am also not a fan of internal rooms, unless they are bathrooms, but that is my personal opinion. I like the landscaping that you have done so far. Have you tried putting some furniture in these rooms? Even if I'm not furnishing a house I still place furniture in the rooms as it helps me to see how big the rooms actually are.

Also, if you are planning to upload to MTS you will need to ensure that the lot edges are flat. Yours are not. The Lot adjuster has a facility to allow you to flatten the lot edges, please do not do it with the ingame tool.

Hope that helps.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 12:53 AM
The main things I notice are the edges of your lot and the pitch of the roof. Regular lots need to be flat. If there is special landscaping then it's fine to have uneven edges and say so in your description that the lot will distorted the neighbourhood terrain, but it isn't really acceptable if there is no reason for it. If you look at the creators guidelines you will see they ask for flat edges. I would lower the pitch of the roofs and also change the layout of the upper floor to give less diagonal wall.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 5:16 AM
Although I prefer an unfurnished lot myself, furnishings would make it easier to see the relative proportions of the rooms. Some of the bedrooms look tiny; and rooms without windows will be constantly fighting a bad environment score.

It looks to me as if there's a lot of inefficiently used space that will be awkward to play on the second floor. The Master Bathroom is way too big in proportion to the Master Bedroom, that diagonal hall is awkward as heck, and how are you supposed to get into the "misc. room?" I would rip out the two tiny baths on the lefthand side and make them into part of the middle bedroom, so it gains some windows; and the hall reconfigured so that all the upstairs rooms open off of it. For most families, one master bath en suite, a single family bath upstairs, and a powder room on the first floor are sufficient; but all of them need to be designed with sim routing issues and the popularity of bathrooms as gathering places in mind.

Just as a detail: I like to have bahthroom floors done in tile or linoleum (rarely, carpet), and I rarely see a bathroom that does not have a different floor treatment from the other rooms. Kitchens ditto, though it's more common for them to have the same floors as the living and dining areas than it is for bathrooms.

MMAA, a "great room" is a large public space specifically for entertaining, rather than family or daily living. This is where you'd put instruments, a pool table, games, etc. The distinction between a "great room" and a "rec room" is a subtle one; great rooms are more formal and accessible to visitors; rec rooms are informal, often shabby, and in more private areas, like the basement or over the garage.

I'm not positive that being open above is a requirement for a "great room," but I can't off-hand think of any room I've ever heard called that which was only one room tall.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 8:45 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. As for lowering the roofs I'm not sure how but I'll go check out how to do that. I'll flatten the lot using the tool suggested.

Also, yes, I have furnished these rooms. One of my sim families currently live in a copy of the house. I found that at first the house was way too big so I sized it down and now it's perfect. The master bathroom, well I used Simcredible's Urbanist Bathroom set in there and I actually couldn't fit all the stuff in there so for a nice large set like that the master bathroom is a nice size. The idea with changing the bathroom placement on the first floor, I like that better and I'll do that I really did just follow the floor plan (except for the misc room/garage, I tweaked it there) and yeah I was a bit confused on all the diagonals in it but it's worked out not too bad with no snapping to grid and moveobejcts on. But thanks again for all the feedback, I'll update the house and be back with more pictures
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Aug 2014 at 8:50 PM
Oh yeah the misc room has a door in the long part @Peni Griffin