Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 1:31 AM
Default Is The Sims 3 Resource Safe?
I love getting custom content, and when I ask around for more websites to get it from, people say the sims resource. However, I have heard it isn't safe. Is this true, or just a rumor, because some of the stuff on there actually looks pretty cool.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 1:46 AM
I've never had any problems with using TSR or any of their content. If it's the downloads you're worried about, I can really only advise the same prudence you'd use at any CC site. See how many people have DL'd it, then check the comments for feedback/issues. If it's the site itself---well, there's a LOT of advertising, but that's all it is.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 2:10 AM
I'd advise you to keep an ad blocker on while visiting. Some of their adverts have apparently contained malware. I normally like to help out free content sites by disabling my ad block before going there, but TSR is absolutely one site I will not make an exception for. As for the content itself, some of it is quite decent, some of it is not. Much like anywhere else and as mentioned above, do your research before downloading, check comments for feedback on whether the item is working or not, etc.
Alchemist
#4 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 11:52 AM
I have a lot of TSR cc in my game without causing any problems. One table set really screwed up the UI once but that's about it, so just like anywhere else, there can be bad cc there, as well. But, no place is 100% safe, really.
Scholar
#5 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 12:12 AM
It's a prety good site. I have no problem with it
Scholar
#6 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 12:28 AM Last edited by mithrak_nl : 22nd Nov 2014 at 4:30 PM. Reason: I was wrong about the amount of trackers
EDIT : I was confused with a different gaming website when talking about a ridiculous high amount of trackers. TSR doesn't seem to have that many. Still, ads on websites are one of the main sources for driveby infections. Anyone who thinks that their updated virusscanner protects 100% against that, it doesn't. Malicious ads get removed fairly quickly, so you just have to be lucky to encounter them I guess :/
Scholar
#7 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 1:00 AM
I browsed TSR without protection and it gave me herpes nits negative megahurtz mildly annoying ads, but nothing worse than that. If you have adblock on though, it replaces the ad banners with your momma's so fat jokes requests to turn it off and I think your download wait times *may* be slightly increased too.

You might have to muzzle NoScript as well - I always get download errors after the wait time if any of the scripts on a page are blocked.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 10:49 AM
I use TSR content a fair bit and the site is safe though I'd be careful about the ads.