Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 10:09 PM
Default Uberhood: do you add relations? Or would you?
So I have all this head-canon about how sims from the different neighborhoods are related to each other, particularly the college sims. DJ Verse, for example, is Wanda Tinker's neice. Francis Worthington is a cousin both of the Landgraabs and the Goths. Loki Beaker is another Landgraab cousin. Zoe Zimmerman and Jasmine Rai are cousins. Heather Huffington and Jane Stacks are cousins. I've borrowed some from other simmers: Mary Sue Pleasant and Blossom Moonbeam as long separated sisters, Roxie and Edwin Sharp as Stella Roth's niece and nephew.
The more I play, the more relations I add. I just made the Loki-Malcolm connection a couple days ago. Someone (Maxon?) commented on Malcolm's kid on the 'pretty baby' thread how he had 'Loki brows' and I went of course, duh! Loki and Malcolm have to be related!
Do you do this? Do you keep it in your head or use SimPE or the Simblender or some other hack to add it to the game so the sims recognize it? I do!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 10:19 PM
If I had an uberhood, I would totally do this. It's a marvelous idea.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#3 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 12:02 AM
I read this and thought immediately of the ending scene in the now defunct soap "Passions". Everyone finally found/got their true loves or true family. It was nice until 2 years later watching the final show again on youtube that a thought occurred to me. Everyone on the damn show was now related by blood/.marriage. While what you suggest seems like a marvelous idea; and MAYBE a bit more plausible to do in a uber hood because of the sheer amount of already made sims I would think future connection wise it would kill off the hood pretty fast. Game mechanics aside (Because it is doable) it's kind of hard to say that everyone is marrying their "uncles brother's daughter". Or whatever combination.

Though it does give me giggles to think of what that family tree would look like in the sims. You could most definitely call that "The Tree of Life"
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 12:11 AM
Oh, I don't make everyone related, not by a long shot. As shipped, all the premade uni students are orphans, did you notice? There are just two sibling pairs, the Sharpes and the Rubens (thinks, yeah, that's it).
As the game mechanics work, it really doesn't matter if two adults, like Malcolm and Loki, are tagged as cousins. Their kids would still be able to marry (though I suspect that Malcolm's worst nightmare, heck the whole hood's worst nightmare, would be Loki getting his hands on the Landgraab fortune).

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#5 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 3:56 AM
I haven't made Sims from the uberhood into relatives, but i did connect their lives. Mortimer and Consort Capp are old college friends and they conspired to get their children together to make sure they didn't end up with Darren/Bianca.

I grabbed random townies and used the Sim blender to create families for some of the sorority kids from Sim State, though. Then i moved the families into homes.
Theorist
#6 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 8:41 PM
This is such a great idea, and I just started my game from scratch over the weekend (it's kind of a mini-uberhood as I'm not using Sims from all of the neighborhoods this time around). The only thing I've ever really tried, is to make sure that old college roommates keep in touch, post University; getting together for lunch or dinner once and a while.

Simply love the idea of Sims sharing family relations (especially those with no real history of family ties), or even just having a history of a long friendship. And there are so many Sims who could easily be related to one another.

Will definitely be giving this a try.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 8:51 PM
I don't, but now I'm tempted to do it and have Pollination Tech 7 (Nina and Dina's grandfather) somehow related to Pollination Tech 9 once I've restored 7's character data.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Sep 2013 at 9:01 PM
This is what I'm doing now, but with the usual townies and npcs. Anyone with the same last name and appropriate genetics is joined into a family, using mods of course.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 5:49 AM
I'm doing this! I'm trying to get Elizabeth Aspir and Lisa Ramirez to be sisters, but for some reason they recognize each other as family with the sim blender, but their family trees dont show it. It's been working for every other family though. I also took the Cordial twins, since they are kinda based on the Pleasant twins and made them the adopted daughters of the Goodies (who are obviously based on the Oldies) I made Gabriel Green a long lost son of Carlos Contender (so Gabe is also related to the Baldwins) Also, I'm totally having Loki and Malcolm be related, maybe brothers and Loki took Circe's last name or changed it for some reason. I already gave them both matching unibrows!

Just take each day 24 minutes at a time... Unless you hit pause, then you could be there for hours!

Sims 2 Pinterest Profile: https://www.pinterest.com/tullulabell1894/
In the process of moving all Sims 2 pins from my personal Pinterest
Site Helper
#10 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 5:04 PM
My guess is that the sim blender doesn't add family ties. You probably have to add the family ties separately, using SimPE.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
My guess is that the sim blender doesn't add family ties. You probably have to add the family ties separately, using SimPE.

Actually, it does, and it works in my game. Several adult and elder townies had teen and child townies set as their kids using the simblender and things have been great for them, ties are shown.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda

I've set family ties using the SimBlender quite a lot, and in my experience it only changes their family tree some of the time. When I created a CAS family to fit the back-story I came up with for Sadie Wilkie I then used the SimBlender to make her related to them in game - she showed up correctly on her father's family tree but wasn't on her half-siblings' family trees. I sorted out the family trees using SimPE, but I have no idea why it sometimes sets the family trees correctly and sometimes doesn't....