Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 2:41 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Feb 2014 at 7:36 PM.
Default Orphan passed around the hood - challenge
I got the idea for this one when reading the "Pass the kids"-challenge. It´s not meant to be difficult, only different and hopefully refreshing.
The challenge revolves around one sim aging from toddler to adult, so if you are looking for something short, this may be a good challenge for you.

It´s ridiculous that such a short challenge should have 6 pages of rules, but most of the stuff is optional.

Backstory:
You are an orphan, raised by a single parent who passed away way too early. Sinced your hometown has no orphanage (or it´s full to the brim atm), the mayor decides that each family in turn will have to take you in for a season. The families will of course recieve some compensation for their efforts. Unfortunately the lure of money proves irresistable for those who aren´t really interested in child rearing.
Well, better make the best of what you get and hope for a brighter future.

The setup:

Create 3 sims in CAS
- An adult male or female
- A toddler male or female, the child of aforementioned adult - this will be your main character, refered to as "you" in this guide
The toddler may have some trait like zero outgoing (autism) or alien skin that makes him/her hard to accept by the general public. Such a flaw is not required, though.
- Another male or female adult, unrelated to the first two

So this is your starting family. You are living with one of your parents only, the other being either dead, unknown or unavailable, the exact details are left to you.
Your parent´s best friend has agreed to move in to help with the child. (S)he is romantically interested in your parent and hopes to score some major boyfriend-points this way.
But very soon disaster strikes and your parent dies. The roomate doesn´t feel responsible for you at all, giving you over to the social worker at first notice. From this day on you are passed from one foster family to the next, never staying long enough to feel at home, perhaps getting close to them, but never really belonging.

How to play:

Move your starting family of three into any lot they can afford.
It should be the last day of the first season (usually summer).
Play them for the whole day as you wish, but do not cheat for money!
You MUST get yourself a weathercontrol machine, either by cheats or regular gameplay. Place it into your inventory.
Around midnight kill the parent in any way you like (I did mine in by disease via Rodney´s death creator).
If lucky, your toddler will not have fear of a relative dying at that moment (mine hadn´t, but most of the time they will have this fear).
Move the urn to your local cemetary, if desired.
Now put one of your toys in your inventory (or buy one if you own none). A "toy" may be a real toy or something portable you liked interacting with - NOT the toilet!!!
Also, buy a small memento of your parent and place it into your inventory. This can be any portable item you find reasonable (a picture of him/her, a family heirloom, something (s)he made for you by hand and so on).
NEVER EVER loose these two items, as they are your last link to your heritage!
Sometime between midnight and 5 a.m. move out the remaining two sims.

Now take inventory of your hood´s households. You will spend one season (5 days) OR one vacation with a given household, no longer!
Determine the order randomly (f.e. by lowest die roll goes next) or by your own reasoning. For some families caring for a toddler would just be too hard, for instance.

The process of passing the kid between households works as follows:
Make sure it is around 5 in the morning and the first day of a season in the target family.
Move in the roommate together with the kid.
Buy a 60 gallon aquarium and put it into the roommates inventory.
Move out the roommate.
Place your memento and toy anywhere on the lot. This is mandatory!
After 5 days move in the roommate again.
Buy another 60 gallon aquarium and stuff it in the roommates pocket.
Put your memento and toy back into your inventory.
Tally up your points (see scoring below).
Move out the roommate and the kid.
This leaves a foster family with 4k simoleons, 2k in advance, 2k afterwards. After all, they are due some compensation for their effort.
Repeat the process until you grow up to adult (or go to college).

Instead of the roomate you can create a social worker and designate him the child carrier. It doesn´t really matter.

Important: You may want to keep the progress of the seasons realistic. So if it was fall when you left family A, use the weathernaught-thingie to set the year to beginning of winter in family B.

Guidelines for living with your foster parents:
Never speed up growing, wait till it happens automatically! This challenge is easy enough as it is, so no need for further crutchs.
You know your families best. Think about how they would react to the newest addition to their household and play them accordingly. Alternately you could play in a hood you never before tried, set the household to free will and direct only your main character´s actions most of the time.

Under Optional rules you can find more inspiration, by the way.

Allowed cheats:
Any cheats, mods and hacks that are normally part of your gameplay style and money cheats (for buying clothes in case the outfit assinged at each birthday contradicts common sense).

Optional rules:

How is your sim treated by each family? Use this handy table if you do not want to make the decision yourself.

Die roll
1 - You are the perfect child your foster parents wanted but never got. You want something? Ask, nay, merely drop a HINT and you´ll get it in almost no time. Your new parents won´t blow their retirement funds on you, but they will go to great lengths just to please you and your wants are always their top priority. For instance, of you are a toddler, they will buy you smart milk from their own aspiration points,
The also set aside 2 of the 4 k simoleons for your future (buy something worth 2k and take it with you when it is time to leave). If you opt to work, you may keep everything you earn.
Note that actual children of your foster parents might get jealous at this preferential treatment.
You can only get this result once. Reroll any further 1s coming up!

2 - You are tolerated, but not welcomed. If you do not cause trouble you are treated only little worse than any other household member. In essence, they want you to be happy, but only after everybody else is happy. You may bring/invite over your friends, even throw a party and whatnot as long as you accept your place as the omega of the pack.
Your foster parents won´t teach you anything on their own, but they will gladly do so if you ask them, provided they have the time to share. Bring your own smartmilk and thinking caps, though.
Set aside 500 Simoleons to take with you only. If you opt to work, you may keep half or your earnings.

3 - You are tolerated - grudgingly. You must not skip school ever and you are required to visit a community lot after school (stay till your energy bar is in the red) in order not to bother the others. When you return, go to your own room, go outside or at least avoid contact with the other household members. Except, of course, if they roll wishes to interact with you or a on free will – in this case you have to accept the interaction and must not cancel/avoid it.
Your foster parents will never teach you anything and you must not ask them to teach you, but you may skill on you own if you can do so quietly.
You may chat on the phone/computer, but must not invite over friends other than those you bring from school/work. No parties, either.
This type of family doesn´t set aside savings for you. If you opt to work, you may only keep what you manage to hide from your foster parents (a salary check or arranged flower pot never go unoticed, but working on community lots will).

4 - You are welcomed - as a cheap worker! You must do every chore and are put towards generating more income every waking minute (part time job, crafting and so on).
You won´t be treated cruelly, however, in this scenario. For example, since they want you to work well and efficienly, these people will provide the best bed and shower to cut your downtime!
If you bring someone home from school/work, they will sent the visitor home at once.
Every other day you have the option to ask for teaching (learn to study, get taught by a knowledge sim, skill on your own with an available object and so on) OR visit a community lot OR invite over somebody OR something similar. Roll the die to find out how many hours your luck lasts before you must return to work!
You may accept any incoming phone calls and accept invitations to dates/outings.
If you are a toddler you cannot work, obviously. Instead the family sees to it that you get well trained and has you play with the mechanics/drawing table or the xylophon all the time. Every other day they work on your toddler skills for a well rounded education. They will use smart milk bought from your aspiration points.

5 - As in result 4 you are kept as a slave worker, but your fine „parents“ also rob you, seizing everything except the toy and memento from your inventory. They will also spend some of your aspiration points for themselves (work down the list from most to least expensive and buy each available reward once).
You may not leave the house, socialize with persons outside the active household or skill. You also have to reject any incoming phone calls. There is no such thing as free time except to satisfy your most basic needs. This is the kind of family that uses pet beds and pet bowls on toddlers for easier handling, by the way.

6 - As option 5, but play your guardians as mean as they can to your character. They WILL take away your toy and memento, simply to hurt you and they are well aware of the fact that sleeping on the ground restores energy just fine. Kiss goodbye your aspiration points, too, and do not hope for new points since your family will actively trigger any event you fear.
The up side? If they kill you, they won´t do so permanently.

Growing up to teen optional rule
Upon your 12th birthday your personality will have formed. You may choose whatever traits you think your character will have developed accoring to his experience or let his subconsciousness decide. If you do the latter, you earn extra points.

For primary aspiration choose the aspiration of your same-sex role-model! (that is the young adult or older sim of your sex you have the most longtime relationship points with)
For secondary aspiration choose the your best friend´s aspiration! (if it is a teen, this is simple, if it´s a child, go by the child´s ingame description to get an idea, if you have no child or teen friend right now, you must select your secondary aspiration as soon as you aquire one)
For your turn off choose one trait of your parent´s roommate that rejected you!
For your 1st turn on choose one trait of your deceased parent!
For your 2nd turn on check your current guardian's (the leading member of the household you are in) turn ons/offs! If (s)he is your friend, choose one of her/his turn ons, if you are at odds with her/him choose his/her turn off!

Scoring:

(I do not score in ym own game, so any advice/suggestion is welcome!!!)

At the end of each season take the following scores:

Aspiration Bar
Red -2
Green +0
Gold +1
Platinium +2

Relationship to each Sim in household
Negative and enemy -2
Negative but not enemy -1
Positive but not friend +0
Friend +1
Best (green) friend +2

In addition you are granted points for achieving milestones as follows:

Each Toddler skill or nursery rhyme learned +1
Each Toddler skill or nursery rhyme learned from parent +1 extra
Learned to study +1
Had very first kiss +1 (do NOT add this if you had your first kiss as the result of a successfull date, you must initiate it manually!)
Went steady (and never broke up) +1
Had very first woo-hoo (with hacks/mods only) +1
Sneaked out with crush/loved one +1 (apply only once)
Not gotten caught by a household member after sneaking out +1 extra
Each vacation +1 (max. 3 pts.)
Poolplaying Scholarship (what was it called again??? Sorry, my game´s not in english) +1
Tsang Footwork price (Correct name? I mean the dancing scholarship) +1
Interacted with the skunk and did not get sprayed +2
Grew up to teenager using the optional rule +1 per requirement (max. 6 pts.)
Threw a party with a result of "good time" of better +1 (apply only once per household)
Maxed out hobby enthusiasm +1 (max. +2)

You do not recieve points for skill building scholarships or good grades, since this challenge isn´t about being the best in something, but enjoying your life under adverse conditions.

And finally some points get docked for the not so desireable experiences:

Taken away by social worker -10 (and must be adopted back by somebody to continue playing, for some reason, the one adopting you passes you at the end of the season)
Died and revived –10
Died and not revived –10 points and end of challenge
Started a fire -1
Passed out -1
Lost bladder control (child or older) -1
Got ill -1
Saw cockroaches -1
Witnessed someone dear (friend or closer, pets count) die -5
Each part time job you worked in -1
Each work you had to perform that did not correspondend to your predetermined hobby -1 (gardening, fishing, sewing, pottery, toy crafting, robot crafting, flower arrangement, exploited as replacement maid/gardener/cook/nanny/mechanic, digging for treasure and so on;
This is per household, if household A makes you craft robots and hosehold B makes you craft robots as well as garden for them, then you loose 3 points.
Note that doing chores in itself does not constitute exploition. Compare the amount of chores you had to do with that required of the household´s other minors and you´ll get an idea whether you were treated fairly or not.)
Forgot your memento -2 each time
Forgot your toy -2 each time
Forgot to place your toy or memento -5 each time
Toy gets stolen or sold -10
Memento gets stolen sold -10
(Assume you can get it back by winning a fight against whoever took later as an adult)

So that´s it. Have fun playing!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 2:32 AM
Can't imagine how this will play. The rules are complex, but make sense; almost like storytelling

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
The rules are complex

...but can be simplified, fortunately
Create orphan sim toddler (tombstone of L and D can spawn one instantly) - place toddler into a family of your coice - play family for 5 days - transfer toddler to next family - play for another 5 days - repeat until grown up
Everything else is just flavour.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Jan 2014 at 8:22 AM
This is a great challenge idea! I might have to do this later on! The closest I've really come in-game was when two of my kids moved into their step-father's house, but their mom died like two days later! Step-dad was like, "Ummmm.... now what?" Especially when he moved in his new girlfriend and she wanted to start their family. In their case, their original father--though unsuitable--was still alive, so... they didn't have to go into Sim foster care.

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 8:00 PM
I often have children of all ages living with parents who are not their biological ones. The game doesn´t handle these relationships not too well, I wish there was a distinction between biological and real parents/guardians. Something along the line of "This is uncle Jason who lovingly raised me, my true father in all but blood." + "These are Sharon and Ronald, my good friends, they are married and Sharon happens to be my biological mom" + "This is Baron Ramaswami, a kind and just man for all I know, but our lifes are in no way connected. Only I cannot get romantic with his kids because I got my y-chromosom from him."

As for the challenge I did not play it very far. So far Emmet was brought up by Nina Caliente who was an ill-equipped, but wellmeaning single mom and is very relieved that the little tot is out of the house. He came into the Burbs´s care and had a wonderful early childhood there. I really could think of no reason why they should not keep Emmet. Then Jenny became pregnant again and I said "well, that´s it". She gave the boy to her brother, who wasn´t too thrilled. Daniel agreed to take Emmet along for the vacation he was planning to mend his family situation. They are off to Twikkii and when they return I think Emmet will transfer to the Goths. Dina is so in need of an unpaid housekeeper...

Be sure to post how it worked out for your orphan, when you start the challenge!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 2:24 AM
I wanna share my sim story:
I started with 5 sisters, 3 were teen sisters, one was a child, one was a toddler. They all had red hair. One of the teen sisters, Leigh-Anne met another teen (Mark, he had brown hair). Mark's father Ron disapproved of Leigh-Anne, and forbid them from making out on his couch. Later Mark and Leigh-Anne moved out together, got married, and they had a boy, Ian, he had red hair like his mom. Then Leigh-Anne and Mark had twins, Claire and Riley. Then Ian met another girl Tara, who had a younger brother Santiago. Tara and Ian moved in together with Santiago, Claire, and Riley, but they had to give up the kids to be able to live on their own. Then Tara's mom died, leaving a bunch of baby boys behind, that she had spawned. The baby boys and Tara and Ian's siblings went into an adoption agency I had made. Finally Ian and Tara were able to settle down together. Then Claire and Riley started going to a custom school I made (Riverbend Boarding Academy) They went to a therapist and found out they could move back in with their parents, so one day their parents came to the school and took them home. They started living like a family again, but then Leigh-Anne got pregnant again with Mark's baby, then the day the baby was born, Mark divorced her. That night she met another man with a family. She married him.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 10:25 PM
Im doing this
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:09 PM
Great!
To you and all the others attemtping the challenge, please bear in mind that I wrote it for users without any mods whatsoever in their games. That does not mean you cannot use those you have! So i.e. if you have the means to transfer money you obviously don´t need to juggle fish tanks all the time and if you have a teleporter, moving the orphan between households is much easier, too.
#9 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:11 PM
omg omg omg i need to do this! i will post pics if possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 9:32 PM
Looking forward to your pics!
I never finished the challenge, but I´m playing s.t. similar in Sims4 at the moment http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...825&postcount=3.
Instructor
#11 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 7:44 AM
I must admit, I'm pretty intrigued by this challenge. I'm about to purge my overstuffed downloads folder, and I'm thinking of making this the first thing I do in my as-yet-untouched Pleasantview using an aged-down version of a rather gorgeous alien hybrid sim I downloaded recently.
#12 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShannonSimmerYummyCookies
omg omg omg i need to do this! i will post pics if possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is Amelia My Tod
#13 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShannonSimmerYummyCookies
This is Amelia My Tod
file:///C:/Users/Shannon/Pictures/Sims%202%20Pics/Snapshot.bmp heres amelia
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Sep 2014 at 1:06 PM
Something went wrong with your upload. Try clicking "Go advanced", then "upload" then select the file from your task manager. If that´s what you did before, then perhaps the file was too large?
Instructor
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:52 AM
Here's my toddler, Skorg Svartalfheim, and his mother Freyja.

(I made her so pretty that I kind of feel guilty about having to kill her off! XD)