Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 7:03 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 22nd Jun 2014 at 8:57 AM.
Default Need help with normals/shading on CAS model.
So, I was franking up a teen mesh, and while I managed to make the morphs, bones and stuff, I end up with this on the sleeves area:

I tried Cat's Normal Smoother to no avail, and I'm not sure as to what to do with this rather wonky normals problem. Also to note was that I used 3DS Max mostly for UV mapping the mesh.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 2:25 PM
It looks like the mesh is turned under at the edge of the sleeve. If so, smoothing the entire mesh or the entire sleeve will give you that shadowing as MS tries to smooth over the edge. Try selecting just that outer layer, or make a smoothing group of the outer side of the sleeve.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
It looks like the mesh is turned under at the edge of the sleeve. If so, smoothing the entire mesh or the entire sleeve will give you that shadowing as MS tries to smooth over the edge. Try selecting just that outer layer, or make a smoothing group of the outer side of the sleeve.

Smooth All seemed to do the trick, but the problem is that it does its thing on the entire mesh rather than on the offending area, besides seams caused by UV mapping showing up on the model.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 5:57 AM
Sorry for the double-post, but anyone?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 12:42 PM
Did you try my suggestion of smoothing just the outer layer? If that doesn't work you can try using Smooth All and then select and Align Normals for the UV seams.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 2:27 AM
i dont see the picture
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
i dont see the picture

Oh, sorry about that. Host seems to have purged the pic for some reason.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 7:02 AM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 1st Jul 2014 at 7:58 AM.
Sorry for the double post, but based on my experience, it happens if I import a mesh edited using 3DS Max into the Mesh Toolkit. What I did was I exported the non-morphed mesh as an OBJ, edited the UV maps in Max, export it again as OBJ, open it in Milkshape then export as a WSO model, and generate morphs using the Toolkit. The base mesh appears to be intact but the generated morphs are affected for some reason.

EDIT: Just came up with this workaround - I exported the MS3D file with the UV maps edited using 3DS Max as an .OBJ, and imported the latter's UV maps onto the frankenmesh (via Wavefront .OBJ (UV only) command) which was done prior to the UV edits. Sleeve normals don't look off-shaded anymore, which is quite a relief.