Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 6:32 PM
Default France heightmap/terrain layer files, france_lite_x
explination
so iv come across a way to have twinbrook in CAW, i found this out while i was looking for the objects, which i have managed to get working in twinbrook in CAW, i plan on getting them into the metadata, atleest i have a theory on how i could, as for twinbrook_lite and all the WA destinations, though i could upload them, there are problems with pre-made sims being on it, so they wont export, and twinbrooks split water level, so while im working on getting those premade sims out and uploading a _lite file of these worlds, i wont be sharing the information on how to extract worlds, this is because if i can give the EA's worlds and their maps, then the method itself has been used to its full potential, other uses for it would only be to change other user created worlds, and i dont want to be responsible for others work being stolen, although i may be contradicting myself as im actually giving out EA's work, iv been told not to post it on their official site, i dont know if there are any legal ramifications from doing this, people have uploaded EA's extracted textures, so im hoping that this will be seen like that

France Files
contains heightmap,terrain textures, terrain map layers, and distant terrain placement,
file new > 300 > chose the france heightmap
then open all the terrain using "add" right click edit > import the layers, i have them all labelled so its fairly straight forward

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?og8psm1d084rxcp

France_lite_x
frances files put together for you, does not contain distant terrain, roads, houses,

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?roamhbcvawd9ceb

http://i35.tinypic.com/30t5ket.jpg "width=600"

*please don't ask me to give out the information on how to extract worlds for CAW*

if you have lost a world, as in uploaded it and then had your pc formatted, provided you could prove to me its your world, i would happily retrieve your .world file,

i am not going to be editing other peoples work, and i am not going to write out instructions on how to, as far as im aware, only one other person has been able to do this, i dont know if there are others

eventually i will get round to doing Egypt and china, and twinbrook, though twinbrook will be abit more complicated, because of the water level, and i will upload _lite, once i remove the sims, but for now i just want a break from this whole method, because its caused alot of controversy, im working on my own projects in CAW,
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 6:51 PM
"*please don't ask me to give out the information on how to extract worlds for CAW*"

Um. Why not? Sharing information is good. Even if it's complicated and it's just a basic overview to give people something to go on, hoarding information seems a bit....

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 6:56 PM
because i posted a thread before asking if i should or should not say how its done, and lets just say i got enough hate emails
and also people saying that they would no longer share their worlds, and others saying how it will only be used to steal others work
and for the mean while i just dont want to think about all these issues and just leave it be
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 7:00 PM
Plenty of things can be used to steal peoples' work. A hammer can be used to kill someone. Doesn't mean it can't also help build a house.

Having the info would be -very- beneficial. Further worlds released in later EPs could be extracted and modified. User-created worlds could be extracted not for stealing purposes, but to examine what they did to learn from it, or to modify it with permission.

Please share - if you get any hate mail about it here at MTS, send it my way and I'll deal with it.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 7:51 PM
this is one side of it, and many people have said this, and yes i agree, but i seems that the largest number of replies iv been having are from people who are unhappy about it, i want to wait for things to cooldown before i go back to this anyway, iv been thinking if i should or shouldn't say many times over,

i didn't even intend to come up with this, i was trying to get the objects out of twinbrook, half way through doing that i realised i actually got into twinbrook, there are issues with twinbrook because of pre-population and different water levels, EA's CAW tool must have different capabilities to ours, and i dont know just yet, i might not be able to get it working fully by myself and i might need to share the information with someone who knows more about this sort of thing than me,

im going to feel really guilty though if i do explain it, and work gets stolen, i want to see how things go, but now that iv proved its possible, someone else may figure out how to do it,

my heads been done in past few days with emails and such, i haven't received any on here, but i wouldn't be surprised if i did at some point

mm need to think about this whole issue
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 2:16 PM
I would think that this would not be something that everyone would be rushing to learn, but like what you and HystericalParoxysm have said, it would be useful in case someone wanted to retrieve a lost world or wanted to learn from other worlds.

In fact, I doubt it may really be that much of an issue- what you're releasing is the heightmap and terrain layer file. While I've seen that you were able to fully extract Twinbrook, you could simply teach people how to only extract the heightmap or terrain layer files instead of the whole world. And remember, those two layers form only a small part of the effort needed to create an entire world!

That being said, it might be a bit more troublesome if the process actually produced the entire world instead of just the heightmap and terrain paints. In this case, ignore the paragraph above.

I would suggest that you post up a rough outline of the procedure. Of course, if you feel uneasy about the entire thing, you could PM those who ask (and whom you find trustworthy)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 3:14 PM
Drowssap, do stop being so "precious" and just tell us the info already. If people are harassing you, report them to the admins.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 6:07 PM
Yes, please. Sharing information is a -good- thing. I can guarantee you - the atmosphere HERE is one of free exchange of information, sharing what you know and helping to build up the collective knowledge level of the whole community. Whereever else you may have asked, you won't find a culture of restricted information here. And anyone who wants to send hate mail and act otherwise will be dealt with appropriately, if reported to staff. This is a modding site - teaching modding is kind of our bread and butter, ya know?

There is no reason anyone should freak out at you about sharing information. This sounds like a very useful technique... and there are already all sorts of tools out there that can be used to steal others' work. Simply sharing this information will not make world-stealing rampant: people could already steal other peoples' worlds - just upload their files and go "Look at my sweet world!"

Please provide even a simple summary of the steps involved in making a world like this. You can do so in PM if you want. I would really like to make some edits to in-game worlds, and perhaps some custom worlds for my own personal use (which I can't imagine any creator having a problem with).
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#9 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 6:15 PM
I have to chip in on this - as a tool creator, I fully realise that the tools I write can be used for nefarious people to rip off others work and post it up anywhere. But this doesn't stop me from releasing either tools or tutorials on how to do things. Why? Becuase honestly, people are gonna do it no matter what - with my tools, with other peoples tools, or even write thier own. I dare say if you don't release the info, there are those of us savvy enough in the workings of package files and so on that, eventually, somebody else would end up replicating the same discovery anyway.

I'm all for sharing of techniques, tutorials, and tools, even if they could be used in ways I did not intend. And one final thing - how many people really know how to make worlds, or use CAW? The percentage is extremely low compared to the people who simply download, and sharing the information is a Good Thing, I think.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 9:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by drowssap
im going to feel really guilty though if i do explain it, and work gets stolen

I had a look at the thread on EA's forum, where at least one world creator complained that she felt like she no longer wanted to create worlds if people could look inside them. So I can see that you are getting some pressure from certain folks.

I have to say I find that whole perspective completely puzzling, irrational, narcissistic, and (dare I say) childish.

We're modders. We don't own copyright on our creations anyway. We should all be helping each other make great worlds, not getting in each other's way.

Drowssap, believe me, sharing knowledge puts you on the side of the angels, no matter what a few selfish folks may be telling you. Don't let yourself be swayed by opinion polls -- do what's right :p
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 12:35 PM
the reaction im getting here is very different to the one on the EA forum, least the crazy emails have stopped,
as for only teaching people how to extract the height map and terrain layers, that wouldn't be possible, because thats done within CAW after geting the .world back

im off out for the hour, have to look after my baby sister, but once i get back im going to read this through properly, it seems that paticular person you mentioned is going to stop making worlds regardless if i say so or not simply because iv found i way to doing it, and im thinking perhaps i should

iv been trying to get the objects in the metadata and its driving me nuts, iv got the objects file by itself, or atleest i think i have, but from there i cant find the right file in CAW, others with more brains might be able to,

i may just say message me if you want to know, but i dont know if thats wise either, might be better if im going to share it to tell everyone, and not just the one or two who are willing to ask,

mm and as for reporting people, well i cant exactly report people i dont know for emailing me, iv had people gifting me asking me how its done, and others warning me not to say anything,

in all honesty i wish i hadn't discovered it, it wouldn't be my fault if it was miss-used then, but right now being able to have some help with the objects file would be good,
if i do say how its done later on in the day, just want everyone to bare in mind that with EA's worlds, there are some issues which i dont know how to fix, iv been told theres a mod to remove pre-made sims, but the split waterlevel and so forth, oh i dont know

i will read through this properly when i return home, im just rambling on atm
retired moderator
#12 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 12:46 PM
You can always turn off email contact here so people can't email you about it via MTS - and if you get private messages yelling at you about it, you can forward them to me and I'll deal with the crazy.

If you would prefer you not share it publicly, you could always PM me with the info, I can work it up into a user-friendly tutorial, and share it that way - with or without credit to you (without, if you would prefer to distance yourself from the whole thing). I'm used to hate mail, having been site staff for years now, and I enjoy writing tutorials.

Height map and terrain layers -would- be exportable once you get the whole thing into CAW - you'd split them off into individual files from inside CAW just as you can do with any custom world as you're making it. Even just being able to use the other worlds (Egypt, China, the upcoming downtown) as heightmaps with painting in place (that could be replaced with different textures - lighter/darker grass, different shade of stone, whatever) would save world creators a LOT of time!

Perhaps some of the problems you have can be ironed out with the help of others who might know something about this sorta thing - like Inge, for example, who I think knows at least some about how neighborhoods work. I can always try to do the exporting via your instructions and see if I can figure out the problems you're having too. Everyone helping everyone else and all that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:25 PM
i have messaged you, you may do what you like with the information,but once you read it, you'll probably wish you could headbutt me through the pc,
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:32 PM
lol naaaah I'm just giggling at how simple it is! Thanks for sharing the info - I'll work it up into a basic tutorial (though it hardly needs it!) as soon as I can get it working for me.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#15 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:41 PM
Yep, Drowssap, this is a grown-up site

(and thanks for sharing info with us)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 1:43 PM
Nuh-uhhh!!! *pulls Inge's pigtails*

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 3:32 PM
yes its insanely simple, but how long it took me to figure out was not cool, if you remove the snap and xml files, most of the pre-made sims disappear, but the ones attached to lots remain, and the rest seem to go invisible in the global layer so i will try out that mod to remove them i guess,

finally back at the pc, i can get back to working at my own world
Eminence Grise
#18 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 10:36 PM
Thanks Drowssap looking forward to the tut, HP!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 1:22 AM
Hey drowssap! ;D Its mrcrumplebottom1 btw

The thing that I like about you putting this up is that some people might be able to help you put the objects into the metadata :D

Happy Simming MTS! :D

If you like Sims stuff, I have some videos on YouTube?
@LordCrumps
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Aug 2010 at 11:50 AM
thankyou, what is strange though, is now iv found the file, a bunch of other files from my documents have gone missing, along with the desktop icons,
the game still works though,according to the pc i dont have any expansions installed, but they work :S
perhaps they went to the D drive, but this is very odd
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by drowssap
explination
so iv come across a way to have twinbrook in CAW,

ZOMG Let's have it!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot possibly make a decent train depot and mini shanty section of town without messing about with the terrain! Amongst all the railroad tracks already laid down in twinbrooks there's a totally empty, totally non-usable building RIGHT BY THE ROAD which refuses to blow itself up in Edit World, arrrrrgh. IT MUST DIE!!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Aug 2010 at 10:59 PM
issues with twinbrook i have not spent the time on resolving just yet though, are well the pre-made families, which can be removed supposedly, and then the split water level
a genius on the EA site has however got the objects into the world editor, and then somehow placed them on lots and uploaded,
the train tracks are made of over 60 little bits though, im busy doing my essay atm, so im trying not to go on the pc until that is done, i will look at all those thing after

supposedly some people are already further ahead of me with all these issues, and a recent issue iv come across seems to be with exporting,
i understand now how to re-colour rabbitholes because of the same genius :D, but also trees and many other things in CAW are re-colourable,

the more i look at the files the more things i see can be changed, but for now, i must not look at any files and do my essay

iv passed the information on to HystericalParoxysm, so i think the information will be put in a tutorial or something,
its fairly straightforward anyway
Test Subject
#23 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 7:12 PM
This sounds really cool, there are several things that I would love to edit with the default worlds from EA.

Just wondering what ever happened to the information? Did it ever become a tutorial? I haven't seen it around, unless I overlooked it. It would be nice to know how to do this to further build upon my Create a World Tool Skills.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 9:03 PM
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 9:29 PM
Thanks, simsample!
Page 1 of 2