Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:34 AM
Default Having a baby with NPC Penguin?
So I have inteenimater and it has the option to have a baby with anyone on the lot and I noticed that the penguin npc was on the list. I'm curious, will it mess my game up if I try to? I just really wanna see what the baby would look like, but I'm afraid of my game being messed up and having to reinstall.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:17 AM
I'd go for it, and damn the torpedoes.

Also, thanks for the idea.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:18 AM
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:20 AM
Touching penguin that way = Murdering your entire game.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:29 AM
I don't know...If there isn't any actual interaction your probably fine, as you can have the Grim Reaper father a baby in a similar way as long as you don't have to make him playable or anything.

I'm not totally sure though as I've never tried it.

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

LJ Tumblr
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:43 AM
I'm not really familiar with NPCs that shouldn't be messed with, but it sounds like something you shouldn't do.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:54 AM
There's a 'Pet' interaction and another one, but beyond those two, its considered game murder.

And you guys might want to check this out: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption
Banned
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:57 AM
Usually it's OK to have a baby with them - if inteen works like Insiminator or the tombstone of L & D. It's definitely OK to do so with the Grim Reaper. Most likely as those characters are objects and have no data it just uses the #1 template. That's what it does for Grimmy (hence the reports that he makes good looking kids.)
Site Helper
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 1:57 AM
If you decide to try it, be sure that all of your objects.package files are read-only, and that you have a current backup of your save game.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 3:53 AM Last edited by gazania : 26th Oct 2013 at 1:41 AM.
One thing I've learned after all this time is that just because EA/a modder/your Auntie gives you the option to do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea. See: Deleting Sims from Sim Bin.

Grimmy is a crap shoot. We both used Insim for Grimmy babies. Mine turned out fine; my daughter corrupted Strangetown. Still, it could have been worse. The entire game could have died.

It might very well be that you get nothing at all. I've certainly downloaded many mods that give you certain options, but if you try them, you don't get a thing. But still, I do enough of a great job corrupting my game by accident. I don't need to do it purposely!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 9:31 AM
Thanks everyone for all the replies ^^. I've decided I won't do it lol. if it weren't for the fact that I have so many awesome sims not worth risking corrupting my game over I totally would ; 3;
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 11:36 AM
Moo is right - as long as you have your objects.package read only (and a backup), there shouldn't be a problem. But it's probably a fairly pointless thing to do. People seem to get excited by the notion of breeding NPCs or NPC objects (like the penguin) thinking that their unusual DNA must do something interesting.

HOWEVER, this is not real life. NPC objects and quite a lot of the universal NPCs themselves DO NOT HAVE their own DNA and what the game does when you breed from them is just pick some random DNA and uses that. You need to remember the limits of the game. The game has 'DNA' and a system to use it but it's all sim DNA and nothing else (well, except pet DNA but that only comes with Pets) and furthermore, it's all just numbers anyway. Penguins do not have penguin DNA, or probably any DNA at all. What the game does is draw on the sim DNA system and chooses something at random (or not) - but whatever it is, it isn't coming from the penguin. You'll often read people saying that Grimmy makes great good-looking children but Grimmy has no face of his own. What the game does is use the first face template when you use Grimmy to breed - widely regarded as one of the most attractive - and, possibly, random hair and eye colour, or maybe black and grey, what do I know, but it doesn't come from Grimmy anymore than I do.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 3:40 PM
Babies of "untouchable" NPCs will usually have face 1 and have black hair (borked genetics, in other words). They won't be penguhumans, that's for sure!
Banned
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania

Grimmy is a crap shoot. We both used Insim for Grimmy babies. Mine turned out fine; my daughter corrupted Strangetown. Still, it could have been worse. The entire game could have gone pffft.

This could be a Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc - Strangetown is corrupted really badly as shipped.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 9:31 PM Last edited by gazania : 8th Feb 2013 at 6:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
This could be a Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc - Strangetown is corrupted really badly as shipped.

Perhaps .... this happened before the fix, and I did the Grimmy thing in Pleasantview. Still, it rather squashed any desire to mess with Grimmy again!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 11:50 PM
And if it is possible to do it and your sim dose get pregnant and gives bith, I dont think it will be anything special. These things are controlled by invisible NPCs (like the toy car) and are usually just straight up face templates, or dont have face templates at all. I remember a long time ago when I was playing with boolprop, I spawned the NPC car NPC and she had the "missing mesh" pink button shirt and creme capris, straight black hair, and an empty black hole where her face was supposed to be.
Banned
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 12:56 AM
^ BTW spawning any of the characters like that IS a very bad idea.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Babies of "untouchable" NPCs will usually have face 1 and have black hair (borked genetics, in other words).

Right - but that's not borked. Borked genetics in this context means missing altogether or corrupted. They just get assigned standard stuff and there's nothing particularly broken about that.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
^ BTW spawning any of the characters like that IS a very bad idea.

Oh. Darn. That's.. what I've done.. since I first played Life Stories. If only I hadn't reinstalled The Sims 2 for the 54th dang time...

As for the penguin.. OK, I'm not sure why anyone would want to have a baby with the penguin, but, either way, this will most likely definitely lead to neighborhood corruption, as well, the penguin isn't really meant to have babies with.

And besides, I'm not sure who would want to have a baby with an animal that looks like he/she came out of some sort of botched Walt Disney film.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 3:48 AM
Stop doing stuff like that and maintain proper game hygiene, Mr. Newbie, and you won't have to reinstall so often.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 6th Feb 2013 at 1:54 PM
Wow.. I've played sims for so long and I never knew that the penguin npc would be on that list xD I kind of knew about the grim reaper but not the penguin xD

�Hanna. Come over to the J-rock side, we have men looking like women.
Proud Cafekko, ELF, ShaWol and S♥NE x3
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 5:56 PM
Good news is, since my other computer was reformatted or whatever a few days ago, I can reinstall The Sims 2 and give it proper dental hygiene like it deserves. ( I exaggerated. I've only reinstalled 3 or so times. xP)
Back on the penguin topic, I never knew the game just used face 1 and black hair. This game's genetics are very interesting.. I'll have to give some of these a look once I reinstall. Albeit I only have the M&G disk and DD as of now.

I'm still not sure why anyone would wanna have babies with the penguin.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 6:05 PM
We're gamers. That's why.

This is the thing that game designers forget at their peril. No matter how silly, counterintuitive, counterproductive, or just plain boneheaded the move, some gamer, somewhere, will want to try it to see what happens. Or just to say they have. Or just because they're bored and have nothing else to do.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#24 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eowyn24
Wow.. I've played sims for so long and I never knew that the penguin npc would be on that list xD I kind of knew about the grim reaper but not the penguin xD
A good rule of thumb: if the sim doesn't have a real name, but instead has a fixed name like Grim Reaper or Penguin, don't touch it. You should probably also avoid any sim that you have to cheat to flirt with.