Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 12:55 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 13th Aug 2006 at 7:35 PM.
Default The Gimp - Getting Started (Installing and Basics)
Downloading and Installing the Gimp

This series of tutes is normally found at http://www.sublimesims.net/.

The Gimp is primarily different from PSP and other image editing programs in that you need to install a minimum of two separate programs in order for it to work (note: these instructions are for someone using a Windows Operating System) GTK +2 and The Gimp itself You need to install the GTK+2 program or the Gimp will not run.

The program can be downloaded at http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Note for Mac Owners: GIMP is also available for the Mac OS X. The site to visit is http://www.gimp.org/, and you'll need to follow the directions there in the Mac area.
-------------------------

1.The first thing that you will see when you go to this link is this page. Click on "Download" where I have circled to install the GTK+2 program first.

2. That link will take you to this page. You need to select a "mirror" to download the file from. Pick one near your location. Click on that "mirror". (Note: Just think of a mirror as one of many sites that store the file on behalf of the people who wrote it)

3. Once you chose your "mirror" this message should appear. Give your download a moment to begin.

4. Eventually, this box appears. Double click on the file and your installation commences.

5. This is the first install page. Click "next"

6. This is the second install page. Read the License agreement if it's important to you that you do so, then click "Next". From about this page if you get stuck or think you've done something wrong, you can click "Back to go back to the previous screen".

7.This is the third install page. Make sure all three boxes are checked then click "Next".

8. This is the fourth install page. If you're happy with what you see in the information in the box or you're standing there scratching your head going "It looks good to me?" click "Install". You will then see two separate screens come up while the program installs itself automatically.

9. GTK+2 is now essentially installed. To finish the install process click "Finish". Now we will install The Gimp.

10. We go back to the first page again, except this time we're going to click download to install The Gimp itself. (See Circled)

11. Again chose a mirror site to download the program from (The Gimp). Click on that mirror.

12. Once again, you should see this message. Wait a moment and your file should appear.

13. Once your download has finished you will see the box below. Double-click on the box for the installation of "The Gimp" to commence.

14. The first installation page for "The Gimp" that you see is the one below. Click "next".

15. The second installation page you should see for the Gimp is the one below. Read the License agreement if you wish to, then click "next". From about this page if you're stuck and think you've done something wrong, you can click "back" to go back to the previous screen.

16. The third installation page will ask you to chose a location in your computer you want to install the Gimp files to. It will probably default to being installed to your Program files, which is fine. If you are happy with the location where you are installing the files, click "Next".

17. The fourth installation page asks you which parts of the program you want to install (it calls them "components") make sure all three boxes are checked then click "Next".

18. The fifth page asks you what type of images you want to open with "The Gimp". It is entirely a matter of personal preference whether you click all or none of these boxes. If this is the only photo editing software on your computer it's probably a good idea to click all of the boxes, then click "Next".

19. In screen six the install asks you where you want the program shortcuts to go. Make a choice you are happy with then click "next".

20. In the seventh screen, this is asking you if you want icons linking to the program placed on the computer that are easy to find so you can start the program easily. Again it's a matter of personal choice whether you check these or not, I do. If happy with your choice, click "Next".

21. Eighth screen-this is a summary of all choices you have made while going through the previous screens. If you are happy with what you see, install starts automatically and you will see a single screen where you watch the files be installed.

22. Ninth screen. This tells you that installation is nearly complete. Click finish and installation will be complete and The Gimp is installed. Congratulations, you have successfully installed The Gimp! Kind Wishes Kath

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 12:55 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 13th Aug 2006 at 1:35 AM.
Default Understanding The Gimp Filing System
Understanding The Gimp Filing System

1. Finding a file in the Gimp is a little different from most image programs. When you open the program the first thing you will see is the toolbar (see below) but it won't have any files open straight away, you need to go find them.

2. Click the menu option "File" followed by the file option "Open".

3. The thing that is the most obviously different looking about this program is the buttons up top. We are going to explain how to find your file using an example of a real file search you would commonly use when you create walls.

Homecrafter tells you that the path to find your file is My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Projects/Homecrafter/Working Directory/ (your filename) but when you start your search the computer takes you straight into your My Pictures folder.

There is no cause to panic. You need to think about where your My Pictures folder is in your computer, in this case within your My Documents folder (the program might open you to a different point, I'm just using this as an example so apply the principles more than the steps in this case). Then you need to think about where the first common point is within both the path to your file and the path to the file your computer has open right now. This common point would be My Documents.

How do I get from My Pictures to My Documents? Press the My Documents button on the centre top of the box. (see circled) This takes you straight up to your My Documents folder.

4. Now all you need to do is follow the path downwards with your folders to find the file you are looking for. Find your EA Games folder within your My Documents folder and double-click on it. This takes you into your EA Games folder.

5. Find your The Sims 2 folder within your EA Games folder. Double-click on it. This takes you inside your The Sims 2 folder.

6. Find your Projects folder within your The Sims 2 folder. Double-click on it. This takes you inside your Projects folder.

7. Find your Homecrafter Plus folder within your Projects folder. Double-click on it. This takes you into your Homecrafter Plus folder.

8. Find your Working Directory folder within your Homecrafter Plus folder. Double-click on it. This takes you into your Working Directory Folder

9. Find your file, click "Open". Congratulations, you have successfully navigated the Gimp! Regards, Kath

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 12:56 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 17th Aug 2006 at 8:57 PM.
Default Basic Skinning Concepts - Layers, Filters, Paths
Basic Skinning Concepts - Layers, Filters, Paths

This section addresses some basic terms and concepts we use all the time when we're creating Custom Content.

Layers

If you are creating a wall, floor or skin to do so effectively you need a program that uses layers. What is a layer? A layer is an image placed on top of another image, allowing you to still show parts of the image below. As an example:

This image is actually

This image

With this image laid on the top layer

What is special about layers is that both images are still complete - you can easily move the top image around or even decide to hide it, and the bottom image will still be there, totally intact. Each layer also can have its own filters and effects applied to them.

Path

The path is the route you follow in the computer to find a file. You go downwards, within one folder you'll find another and you burrow deeper and deeper in your folders until you find your file. Think about them like Babushka Dolls…

Filters

Most graphics programs will allow you to alter how you want something to be displayed. For example, you can add a layer with a "normal" filter on top of an image which blocks out anything underneath or you can use a "multiply" filter that blends the image of the item on the bottom and the item on the top together.

The "Normal" filter and the "Multiply" filter are only 2 of around about 10 filters available in the Gimp, Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop.

The grand thing about using a layer filter is that you can change the filter effects and your original graphics are still intact; if you don't like that effect you can try another one.

Ok, now you're ready to learn how to do things with the program

To start recoloring an outfit - follow the Basic Clothing Recolor Using GIMP Tutorial

Regards, Kathleen
http://www.sublimesims.net/
Screenshots
Attached Images

Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 4:01 PM
omg, you are just so amazing! i just read your explanations on the basic terms and it just happened that i was actually confused about layers and filters also... wow... are you a mind reader or something?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2006 at 11:45 PM
:-) Whiteswan the reason why I did this is because I've been there. About two years ago when I started building for the sims, I noticed that I'd do lots of really lovely tutes but they would often have a gap somewhere where they would get stuck. All credit to them, mostly they're written by people who naturally understand these things better than I do.

Tig and I agree that the definitions section could end up quite elastic if we find stuff that people don't understand, and I think she's done about three edits on that bit so far with my absolute consent.

The thing is to give people that basic step up so they're self sufficient. Am I happy if I know I helped you in any way? Absolutely :D

Cheers

Kath
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 7:20 AM
another amazing thing about your tutes is that after i read them i was able to understand the other tutes which i couldn't actually follow through before.... i think it doesn't really matter if you are using Gimp, PSP or Photoshop, all of them do use similar techniques.

TGIF and have a great weekend ahead!
Test Subject
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 12:21 AM
help!
i need help!! whenever i download the mirror(or at least i try) it says page cannot be displayed and then i press refresh and it goes to the sourceforge.net homepage and that box never pops up! what do i do!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 2:46 AM
Pinkmonkey, pick a different mirror. And check your settings? Are you blocking popups perhaps.

Or go to http://www.gimp.org/ and try and follow the directions there instead. This tutorial won't directly help you, except for you being sure to get both parts of the program.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 7:16 PM
In My Documents/EA Games/Sims 2/ I don't have Projects. Do I have to create it?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 9:41 PM
bamargera200,

If you run HomeCrafter or Bodyshop, that directory will be created, because that is where those programs put the temp/working files. Until you've made a project, it could be that directory will not exist.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 2:02 AM
Okay I downloaded gimp and the newest version of GTK+ but when i tried to run gimp it would stop midway and say component not found. I am not sure what to do at this point so could someone help me?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 8:18 AM
Miggs so you downloaded both and installed GTK first, then Gimp?

How old is your 'puter? It depends on which operating system you've got as to which one you download I think. I think if you've got Windows 98 and stuff, you download the other one...

Does anyone else have any ideas why Miggs might have this issue?

Cheers

Kath
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 6:24 PM Last edited by Miggs1123 : 20th Sep 2006 at 6:40 PM.
Thanks for trying to help
Well my computer model is quite new it's a windows xp... i downloaded GTK+ 2.8.18. Whenever i try to run gimp it goes to the normal screen but midway it says component not found.

I can skip by that but when i try to open any files to recolor it doesn't open. I tried redownloading gimp and the GTK+ again. No help. Maybe if i went into detail on my problem.

I opened Gimp then it went smoothly for about half a second. This is during start up. When it came to the part where it says querying new plug-ins it says component not found the application has failed to start because libgimp-2.0-0.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. Then underneath is says ok and if i press OK the same screen pops up again.

Now i can press OK all the way till i get to The GIMP but i cannot open my dress to recolor. It says that it failed because it was an unknown file type. This happens to anything i try to open. I hope this information helps... oh and Thank you Vashti71 for all your help so far

Sincerly,
Miggs1123
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 8:10 PM
Miggs, so are you installing GTK first? If you don't do that, Gimp won't run. Gimp needs GTK to be installed before you install and run Gimp. And you're very welcome, anything I can do..
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 20th Sep 2006 at 9:07 PM
Yes I installed the GTK+ first i am not sure what i need to do for it to work lol. But great tutorial otherwise.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Sep 2006 at 3:56 AM
Miggs, as we haven't gotten this error ourselves, nor solved it, perhaps you will have to look for the answer at a GIMP forum, where many have installed. I found one here: http://gug.sunsite.dk/

And I think I found the answer (although confusing if you are not highly computer savvy here) http://gug.sunsite.dk/forum/?threadid=3967

The user group seems active, but it's hard to tell. Maybe someone else can find a better version of the info somewhere. Or maybe you can use this info to figure it out. Apparently it just hiccups on install for some folks

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 21st Sep 2006 at 9:58 PM Last edited by Miggs1123 : 21st Sep 2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Because it helped
Default Omg Thank You Soooo Much Tigger!
OMG I am sooo happy it helped! It really helped! That second link you sent me to was perfect i guess i am computer savvy because It was pretty simple. If anyone else needs help i reccomend going to that link because it helped me so much. Again thanks tigger and Vashti for all your help i can finally recolor! Wooohooo! Thanks again i can't stop saying thanks. Great help!

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#18 Old 22nd Sep 2006 at 2:43 PM
Miggs, I'm SO glad it helped. I just read the message and well, it seemed a bit confusing, not like a nice neat 'cookbook' set of directions, which is often what folks seem to need. I also didn't have a gimp install sitting in front of me to see if I could easily see the files. So I was not sure how clear or not it would be

Test Subject
#19 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 10:39 PM
thank u sooo much for this!
u DONT understand how much common sense i lack computerwise!
it was soo easy to follow!
thank u again!

"Its like rain on your wedding day" - Thats only ironic if your marrying the weatherman, and HE picked the dates.
"Its like 10000 spoons when all you need is a knife" - Thats not irony thats just stupid
(Paramount comedy store)
Test Subject
#20 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 11:28 PM
Tigger I dont have homecrafter plus in my documents. Do u have ne clue y?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#21 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 11:59 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 28th Sep 2006 at 2:20 AM.
Homecrafter should be in your Program files, in the same folder as your sims game.

Oh, and there will only be homecrafter stuff in your projects folder if you are running homecrafter doing a project.

Test Subject
#22 Old 28th Sep 2006 at 12:12 AM
OMG sorry for waisting your time i found it, and thanks
Test Subject
#23 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 10:39 PM
Hey, this is really great (: cause im such a noob when it comes to computers hhe ^^"
but umm.. once i get into my projects folder, well i have no Homecrafter Plus folder.
My projects folder is empty. Is that normal? Am I doing something wrong? Im afraid the installation went wrong o_o"
mariel

To the stars, and beyond
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#24 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 8:58 AM
You must run homecrafter and start creating a floor or wall in order to have that folder created - the game will make it for you.

Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Nov 2006 at 7:33 PM
homecrafter... k im really a noob. whats homecrafter? hehe ^__^"

To the stars, and beyond
Page 1 of 3