Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 2:47 PM
I just discovered this.

http://hafiseazale.livejournal.com/29195.html

Winter is Coming!
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#52 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 2:47 PM
@gummilutt: I do that! Only not with subhoods. I have "vacation lots" in my neighborhoods, which are community lots, plus mods to allow sleeping and skilling on community lots plus Community Time. I'll send them to that lot for long weekends for "vacation." They'll travel to other lots to go to restaurants and do some shopping, etc. I actually sort of like it better than the BV spots because time passes on the home lot while they're away (Thanks to Community Time) and Sims actually need/have to use vacation days from work in order to go. I can even simulate some of the vacation perks by temporarily adding a want slot with the Batbox or artificially permaplatting them for a while. The downside is that you can't save on the community lots so you have to play the "vacation" all the way through in one go, but since I tend to keep them short, it's not too bad. I like the idea of having small subhoods with different climates, though. Didn't think of that...

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
The weird thing about temperature is that pets don't get hot or cold. You see stupid dogs outside sleeping in the snow and they don't freeze to death lol.

Well, sled dogs regularly sleep outside (at least according to Jack London) without trouble. Wolves do, and they're just wild dogs. And I'd hazard a guess from the surviving feral cats dropped off by townies around here that cold doesn't bother them. (Because of course country folk have room for that cute kitten that grew up and scratches. Most of them get eaten by coyotes--the pets, not the selfish people who abandoned them.) Goodness knows the mountain lions and bobcats don't care about cold.

It's probably just laziness on EA's part, because the EPs are supposed to stand alone, but I can live with it. My non-tropical sims are not, ever, allowed to release the tropical birds, though!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Undead Molten Llama
#54 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:12 PM
Sunbee! I forgot to thank you for the apox links in my other post! So thank you! I think I have a good base to work from now. I'm not interested in doing this sort of thing via a legacy because I hate the legacy challenge with a burning passion, but some of the restriction ideas and the ways to lift them are useful. Thanks again!

As for animals outside...Yes, they are less susceptible to temperature extremes than we are. Compared to most animals, we are frail and helpless things. The only thing that saved us is tool use and large brains because the rest of us is utterly pathetic for survival purposes. Can't run fast. Can't climb well anymore. Can't swim fast. Little-to-no insulation on our bodies.... Yup, pathetic.

Still, animals in extreme conditions don't do well when exposed to those extremes for long. Most will find or construct some sort of shelter if they don't actually full-on hibernate during the extremes. TS2 dogs/cats will just lie unprotected in snow. Then again, if you bury yourself in snow, as often happens to cats and small dogs sleeping outside when it snows, that becomes a shelter. But yeah, I imagine it was lack of time to enable weather/environmental effects with pets. They probably figured that not everyone who bought Seasons would also buy Pets, so it wasn't high priority to make pets susceptible to weather.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:19 PM
I suppose sims can't leave dogs in hot cars either.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Wolves do, and they're just wild dogs.

Wolves are not wild dogs. Dogs are tamed wolves. Wolves came first, not dogs. As I'm sure you know.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 10:02 AM
I play my own rules for the apocalypse challenge because I play hood wide and when I started doing this there were no hood wide rule sets. I'm not changing the ones I'm used to, though, so although my rules are probably nothing like the official ones any more I stick with them I'm still fine tuning them actually.

I've never had a townie freeze to death, though!
Page 3 of 3