Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 8:43 PM
I don't know if someone also noticed this, but I've found another 'MTS2' at : User Tools --> My Mts2.

Could you change it into My MTS?

Thanks!

ps. : I love the new changes! :D

Creator and owner of SimsShine
Advertisement
Banned
#77 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
jonin: Err, the "choice of either Sims 2 or Sims 3" is already on the site.

No what I meant was add to the choice of either sims 2 or 3, both. That way you can still have either/or, but you can also have both sims 2 and sims 3 on the same page.
Scholar
#78 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 8:59 PM
I'm not sure if this counts, but new users seem to have major difficulties with searching and finding the tutorials. I see posts every single day, "How do I mesh?" and "Where can I find a 2x2 house?" (A lot of this stuff is easy, just search and go.) I do not know you would go about doing it, but you may want to revamp the menu.
#79 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 9:17 PM
What happened to the "First New Post" link that was in the Downloads Threads` non-scrolling footer the other day? That was worth its weight in platinum!

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#80 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 10:22 PM
1ove: "Revamp the menu". Yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. (protip: I wont, since it's entirely vague)

I don't see whats hard about Create -> Sims 3 -> Meshing, for, well, people who want to mesh TS3.

Seriously though, even when we DO put in big letters threads or announcements on how to find information, people STILL ignore it. Theres only so much we can do you know.

joninmobile: To be honest, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about mixing both TS2 and TS3 downloads together like that.

GeneralOD: I removed it. Since, well, it didn't work if you weren't already looking at the comments tab.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 1:59 AM
First off, huge thanks to you (as always) for creating and maintain this awesome site!

Quote:
1ove: "Revamp the menu". Yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. (protip: I wont, since it's entirely vague). I don't see whats hard about Create -> Sims 3 -> Meshing, for, well, people who want to mesh TS3.

I think what she was getting at is that tutorials within those sections are actually very difficult to find - and I agree. It would be really really great if we just stickie'd the 'featured' or most up-to-date tutorials and tools in those main sections. I would love to help organize this, if you'd like the help.

Quote:
joninmobile: To be honest, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about mixing both TS2 and TS3 downloads together like that.

I'm not either, as I find it very hard to tell which content is for which game from the thumbnail quickly. Some people photoshop their thumbnails quite a bit, have low graphics card quality, zoom in very tight, etc...

- - - - - - - - -

not really a suggestion, but an offer. i do css design for a living, and would really love to give the site a new/updated look. I very quickly started to create a user stylesheet tonight, just to see how much I could do without true code access, and it makes a big difference (screenshot: http://www.helaene.com/mts_custom01.jpg). I hope you're not offended by the offer...I could at least maybe offer you a few additional themes.

thank you again!

<3 helaene

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Mad Poster
#82 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 2:58 AM
Not really a suggestion, but I've been wondering, why is the "Click here if this Download breaks site rules" button even there? Isn't that what the mod queue is for?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#83 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 2:58 AM
Sometimes things slip through moderation, sometimes uploaders edit their uploads after approval - it never hurts to have an extra layer of protection.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#84 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by helaene
I think what she was getting at is that tutorials within those sections are actually very difficult to find - and I agree. It would be really really great if we just stickie'd the 'featured' or most up-to-date tutorials and tools in those main sections. I would love to help organize this, if you'd like the help.

You can find all the tutorials (in neat little subsections) in the Create -> Sims 3 -> Modding Overview page.

Although I think Modding Overview should be changed to TS3 tutorials, because right now it sounds like a section for game coding and mods, not modding/tutorials in general. IMO, a name change would help a lot, especially for those who don't know where to look when searching for tutorials.

Edit - I noticed the revamp of the Edit Profile page, it looks spiffy

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#85 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 11:22 AM
helaene,

Thanks for the offer, and the screenshot. I think that, generally, the main... reticence... I have in doing new styles is mostly becuase the site is so old that there are multiple different styles in effect.

For example:
- The front page uses the "Tabbed" style boxy look, as do the Download browser pages
- The boxouts also have this "Tabbed" look
- Quick Reply, Currently Active Users, don't have a Tabbed look and are instead straight bars across
- Journals and Profile pages use an older style - a straight bar across with a black border.
- Articles (like Stories and Tutorials) use a straight bar in a lighter colour but without the black border

So, to homogenise the site would be quite a bit of work. Additionally, getting matching colours to work has always been quite tricky, and there is also the fact that some stuff uses hard coded styles (like the Thanks button area and the "Members also thanked..." box).

With that said, I do keep thinking about generally "modernising" the look and feel of the site, and I've tried to do this as best I can like with the front page, the use of AJAX and jQuery and so on, but theres a lot of stuff to change.

I'm also quite stubborn in terms of how *I* want the site to look. While I do like the look of your layout, it reminds me a lot of the old "rounded corners" look which I removed a while back.

I'd rather do something new, fresh and exciting - but still within the limitations - for example, the Ad box must be "above the fold" and can't be pushed down off the screen, plus I want the full navbar at the top, etc.

Typical
#86 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 5:02 PM
I think it's a good idea for Delphy to update his signature

*Gets in Bat mobile and drives as fast as possible*
Test Subject
#87 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 5:57 PM
it can be useful to sort our favorite downloads by categories, not only by last update, especially for people with tons of favorite downloads.... ^_^"
Theorist
#88 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 6:12 PM
Thanks for the offer, and the screenshot. I think that, generally, the main... reticence... I have in doing new styles is mostly becuase the site is so old that there are multiple different styles in effect.
- Articles (like Stories and Tutorials) use a straight bar in a lighter colour but without the black border......With that said, I do keep thinking about generally "modernising" the look and feel of the site, and I've tried to do this as best I can like with........I'm also quite stubborn in terms of how *I* want the site to look. While I do like the look of your layout, it reminds me a lot of the old "rounded corners" look which I removed a while back.

(Yea, I just wanted to give a feel of your post so I just hacked at bits to make it smaller :D)

HI DELPHY!

New site theme would be seriously awesome, but I totally know of the amounts of effort it would entail. In an ideal world, I'd love to have a little swatch at the bottom with about 5 or 6 different colours and having the entire site with the same theme... but, alas, the coding for that would be.. Stupid, Crazy, Imminence, and probably not worth the effort! This isn't MySpace, you know!!

However, "modernizing" or "updating" the layout and positions/shapes/whatever about this place would, for me, be a great addition. I agree that the old Curved Edges that you took off awhile ago was.. rough around the edges [lol] and I like the more sharp lined look - however, I find a few places slightly looking on the outdated side, which is more than inevitable for a site this big (and this old!)
It might be impossible, but to have a forum view like that of Sims2Community would be awesome - I made THIS as a possible (*thumbnail*) idea that you might like - or something along those lines.

Colours I'd love to see are: Green; [darker?] Greyscale; PurpleyPlum; and Orange.

I also had another point.. But I forgot it when I started editing the image x)

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Field Researcher
#89 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 7:45 PM Last edited by Elizabella : 17th Sep 2009 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Forgot something
First of all thanks for this awesome site! It's made me be so muchmore creative and step out of my comfort zone and actually learn to create things.

A couple of suggestions - If there was a way, if you've started a thread, that you could be emailed when a reply occurs that would be great. Not that it's the end of the world if I keep logging into CFF to see what's happening but when your thread is on the 4th page, well it takes a while.

A way to "nudge" members or threads. I'm ok with bumping being bad but again if your thread is on the 3rd or 4th page I think some people give up on the thread and it would be nice to be able to send sort of a general reminder like remember me...

When there are challenges or official contests, if there could be a checkmark in the upload process that you want to submit this upload for that challenge or contest. I was working on two projects I think for the 5th anniversary challenge and I don't think it was ever recorded because on my user profile it says I haven't entered any challenge.

edit: Also I really miss the downloaded items list. It was really useful when uploading so you could easily check various custom content.

and also when you are the creator of a thread and you post something new...if there was an easy way to have change the title of the thread, instead of needing to edit the first post all the time.

All of these things are really minor and if you did nothing to this site, it would still be the best out there! Sorry for all the notes
Test Subject
#90 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 8:18 PM
I really enjoyed the lists of things i'd downloaded. would it be possible to bring that back? perhaps with limits on it (as in only show whats been downloaded by an individual in the past month or 6 weeks) to ease server strain? that was an excellent feature. it really helped to see who'd been thanked already.
#91 Old 17th Sep 2009 at 8:43 PM
GeneralOD: I removed it. Since, well, it didn't work if you weren't already looking at the comments tab.
Odd. I`m pretty sure that the one time I actually used it, before it vanished and I couldn`t use it again, was on the Overview tab of the relavent thread. Then again, I *do* have the site set to automaticaly load the Comments tab for me. Might that have made a difference? At any rate, I`d love to have it back.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Scholar
#92 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 12:25 AM
1ove: "Revamp the menu". Yeah, sure, I'll get right on that. (protip: I wont, since it's entirely vague)

I don't see whats hard about Create -> Sims 3 -> Meshing, for, well, people who want to mesh TS3.

Seriously though, even when we DO put in big letters threads or announcements on how to find information, people STILL ignore it. Theres only so much we can do you know.

I was able to find it right away, so scratch that off!

I don't know what it should look like, but it seems like it's either really complex or people are blind. What should you guys do instead? Sidebars? Giant letters as a menu? I'm not sure.

I would be frustrated after having to troop through, whatever thousands of members on a fansite a day, too. You can't please everyone.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#93 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elizabella
When there are challenges or official contests, if there could be a checkmark in the upload process that you want to submit this upload for that challenge or contest. I was working on two projects I think for the 5th anniversary challenge and I don't think it was ever recorded because on my user profile it says I haven't entered any challenge.

This is because, if you read the thread, it wasn't a real challenge, so no icons

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Field Researcher
#94 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 6:20 AM
Oh that's ok, it was fun anyway!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#95 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 8:11 AM
Elizabella, you can subscribe to a thread so that it'll appear in your user control panel, rather than having to manually look in the forum itself. See the Thread Tools menu.

Bumping threads is generally frowned upon - people still do it, but often they bump a thread thats only hours or even minutes old, thus, it's discouraged.

thegrimtuesday, the My Downloads page actually did only show the last 30 days or so of history, becuase otherwise there'd be way too much data to show.

Field Researcher
#96 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 5:04 PM
Delphy, yeah I do that but it still doesn't notify you, it's just me being completely lazy - No worries
Typical
#97 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 7:10 PM
Elizabella - If this is any help, you could edit your profile (change at your will, or don't change anything) click 'save changes' and add the next page to your 'quick links'

Hope that atleast helped you
Instructor
#98 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 7:21 PM
Addition of Updates Tab to Download Threads
What about adding an "Updates" tab to download threads, so that an uploader can post information about changes made to a download (i.e. changelog) so they won't have to crowd thier main post or the comments?

-- Digitalchaos

All TS2 Downloads Link
All TS3 Downloads: Link
All Other downloads: Link
Skyrim SKSE 1.6.x gamepad key support: Link
Test Subject
#99 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 7:30 PM
I think all of the features on MTS are great. The next step for MTS in my opinion is a slightly updated theme as the current is quite basic. I'd be happy to give some ideas, but I believe you are not interested in altering the theme at this time. The only problem I can see from doing this is that the server load would bump up a bit.

Missingstudios.com Movies,Info,Downloads,Games And More!
http://www.missingstudios.com/image...s/ms_468x60.jpg
http://www.missingstudios.com
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#100 Old 18th Sep 2009 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Elizabella - If this is any help, you could edit your profile (change at your will, or don't change anything) click 'save changes' and add the next page to your 'quick links'

Hope that atleast helped you

Err, the next page after editing your profile is the User Control Panel, which you can get through User Tools anyway...

Page 4 of 15