Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 1:13 AM
Default Not liking Saints Row the Third
Steam sold the whole set, I've clocked 5 hours into normal difficulty, the "way it was meant to be played." The action is... I don't know what to call it. There is one specific thing that earns my criticism.

*Bullets are un-bulletlike. To kill a hostile quickly I have to arm the semi-automatic and empty it into them while they perform a stumbling dance that looks like they are dizzy. Precisely what I hate, having to unload full clips while they waste my time flailing when they should have gone down. Is that supposed to be funny? I also armed the pistol and did headshots - NOT very effective. Some will go down, others of the same model type will shake it off. Shotgun, slow and ineffective and allows them to keep shooting me. And that's what's killing the game for me.

I've got an assumption that it would be better to regain the 10GB it's occupying and put it to some other use. I could lower the difficulty, but here is my question: Is the Saints Row the Third story worth the full journey, or is it always going to be this silly, unfunny no-stakes-ordeal? Or do I need to check if there is a stick up my rectum?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 1:34 AM
I tired out of the game--mostly a combination of general boredom of GTA-style games (I only liked the Mercenaries series, I don't know why I thought SRIII would be different) and being unimpressed/embarrassed about the game, I gave up around fifteen hours in. A little after unlocking the not-Mi-24 assault helicopter.

Don't get me wrong, it's silly fun. So was Outlaw Golf. I showed it to my cousins, running around with my vaguely Hugh Laurie-inspired British gangster-type, and having a good time. Then I ended up beating a prostitute to death with a giant purple "bat" and my cousin pointed out, "Wow, this game is so American." And I felt kind of stupid and lost interest.

If you don't like the story so far, you probably are not going to change your opinion, Unless you really like Burt Reynolds. I may have stuck with the game if I could have created one of the Puma Sisters from Dominion Tank Police, but that's just me.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 1:41 AM
I liked it, mainly for just running around and shooting things, but the game was way too easy to complete.
It was the first Saints Row game I owned and I had no clue what to do, but I still managed to complete it in a few hours. I hope Saints Row IV is better than III

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Field Researcher
#4 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 2:22 AM
SR3 was a mess up! I heard SR4 could be worse. They need to bring Saints Row back to it's roots and be more serious than being ridiculous! I have all the Saints Row games and to be honest SR and SR2 is way better than 3!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 2:27 AM
^ Agreed. I spent more time playing and enjoying SR2. It had more to do and thankfully wasn't as easy to complete

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 2:47 AM
Saints Row the Third, to me, was a step backwards in the series. While it was fun in the beginning, it started getting old, fast. Saints Row 2 is the best out of all Saints Rows IMO. It had more serious moments, more likable characters (ex. Shaundi wasn't a bitch in Saints Row 2. She was actually pretty cool, and the boss had a darker, edgier personality to him).

Not only this, but more customization (you can layer on clothing, give your cars hydraulics, you get more car customization options, more activities to do that don't FORCE YOU to do them in order to progress through the story.) There are also better gang setups (each one is unique and complete with their own unique bosses) AND there's more weapon customization (two measly pistols in Saints Row The Third? Really? You got so many more weapons in 2!)

There was just so much more in the second game, and in the third one so many activities and features were stripped away that the game is barely a ghost of it's former self. I'm reading on IdolNinja's blog that Saints Row 4 is going to be a lot better than the third ever was, which is pretty reassuring. This guy got to playtest the game firsthand, so all of the info he's given is pretty legit. Sounds like the fourth might be worth buying...I wouldn't give up hope, yet.

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Instructor
#7 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 2:59 AM
The only thing I liked better about SR3 than SR2 was the graphics.
The storyline is horrible and makes absolutely no sense. You're in a gang and struggling to survive, and then suddenly the gang is a big corporation and is famous and rich?
You get shot at by the cops for stupid reasons, sometimes for NO reason, and it takes forever to get them off your tail.
Less customization.
Enemies seem overpowered, from what I can remember (haven't played it in like a year).
You can no longer drink until you throw up, you can't get so high that the screen gets blurry, and you can't eat or drink.

^ Those are the main problems I have with SR3. The whole appeal, for me, of SR2 was that you were living life the "hard way". They completely destroyed that.

Thankfully, due to THQ somehow screwing up, we got the game on it's release day for free and were never charged for it.
Worth $60? No. But it was okay for a "free" game lol.

-edit-
I just remembered the time my 11yr old nephew was playing SR3 and asked what the "big floppy purple thing" was. It was his weapon of choice throughout the whole game.
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 11:15 AM Last edited by Shoosh Malooka : 17th Jun 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Thanks guys, I'm giving up on SR3 after 6 hours and lowering difficulty does nothing to their bullet resistance. Going from Katawa Shoujo to this game is just not happening and I was wrong to assume that the story would 'probably be alright.' The reason I bought SR3 on Steam sale was because more than several big name reviews gave it high scores as seen from google. Why did I avoid SR2 for the same price? Because they gave it low scores.

So, I'll delete SR3 and re-download Shogun 2, giving it the chance it deserved. Gave up on it after 2 hours because at the time I had an ATI HD4890 ( now it's a GTX 660 Ti ).

Yeah, about the purple bat - it does have wacky shock value and physics, but the fun ends there just like every ordinary weak enemy that takes dozens of bullets. Shame on these reviewers, what's that word... shill.
Scholar
#9 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 9:29 PM Last edited by paksetti : 19th Jun 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Hah, I guess I'm the only one with a soft spot for this game. Yeah, it's easy but I don't play it to be challenged. I play it to run around and throw grenades at shit dressed as a spaceman. It's a pretty stupid game, yeah, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I do miss the greater diversity of shops and better customization of SR2, but I really did like the game, it just kept topping itself with silly ridiculousness. The whole text-based rpg segment was pretty nice.

I'm looking forward to SR4. One bored the shit out of me, 2 was a -hell- of a lot of fun, had a fun story -especially that mission you have to play while high- and 3 was fun in that it completely jumped the shark over and over, No, there wasn't any real "meat" to it, but that's the whole point- to be dumb as shit. You can't really have a "serious" game in which you are the absurdly strong/ wealthy/ powerful boss of an internationally known street gang turned criminal empire turned sovereign nation that rules with energy drinks and dildo bats.

They were a shitty street gang selling rocks or something in one, then regained control after boss's near death, and started getting serious money in two, three is the aftermath of that, after they've all got more money than they'll ever need, and they're TV and movie stars with 30 saints clothing shops in the city.

If you want something more serious, there's always Grand Theft Auto. Saints row is GTA on PCP.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 10:54 PM
What if EA would've bought the rights to the game and made it into The Sims Row?
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 2:21 AM
that would be terrible.

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 5:53 AM
Well, because of the way you guys were defending it I re-downloaded it to give it one more chance. I did check my rectum and there indeed was a yardstick there. Just finished the mission type "Weird Science" and liked the "return" of Johnny Gat / Tag, even though I didn't like how they made the guy who built a cloning machine an otherwise stupid gibbering moron and made the Saints the smart ones. But yeah, 14 hours played now and added an FOV mod to pull the camera back a little. It seems that headshots will work on certain enemies ( gangs ) but not on others ( swat ). But things got much better with duel wielding pistols, I hope there are more pistols than the Cobra. The game is good in short bursts. Pick it up and play a mission or two, put it down and do something else until it's time for more. Thanks guys!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 3:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scarlet_117
What if EA would've bought the rights to the game and made it into The Sims Row?

I'm already not happy that it is in the hands of Koch Media now and that it's publishing division Deep Silver will be publish the next installment, but i think in the hands of EA it would be worse, as they would milk it with plethora of dlc's.
Gladly that all of THQ's IP's are in most cases in decent hands. I think that company of heroes would fit with sega now, although i do hope it will not turn into a total war clone.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
Steam sold the whole set, I've clocked 5 hours into normal difficulty, the "way it was meant to be played." The action is... I don't know what to call it. There is one specific thing that earns my criticism.

*Bullets are un-bulletlike. To kill a hostile quickly I have to arm the semi-automatic and empty it into them while they perform a stumbling dance that looks like they are dizzy. Precisely what I hate, having to unload full clips while they waste my time flailing when they should have gone down. Is that supposed to be funny? I also armed the pistol and did headshots - NOT very effective. Some will go down, others of the same model type will shake it off. Shotgun, slow and ineffective and allows them to keep shooting me. And that's what's killing the game for me.

I've got an assumption that it would be better to regain the 10GB it's occupying and put it to some other use. I could lower the difficulty, but here is my question: Is the Saints Row the Third story worth the full journey, or is it always going to be this silly, unfunny no-stakes-ordeal? Or do I need to check if there is a stick up my rectum?

Throw away saints row 3. It sucked. Play Saints Row 2 instead. Its 1001010010001010101101001110X better.
Alchemist
#15 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 5:56 PM
SR3 was my first Saint's row game. I guess it's an ok game, but I think I'm spoiled by the GTA series
Scholar
#16 Old 18th Aug 2013 at 12:13 AM
If all you can afford is one game, get sr2, if you can afford them all, they sell 1&2 as a box set and sr3's a bit cheaper as the new one's coming out soon. They're all fun in different ways. (though I still stand by my statement that one is the most boring, 2 has the most meat, and 3 is the most insane) If you ever found yourself picking up a gta game and thinking "c'mon, I don't care about all this boring story shit" then play sr3. It's the kind of game where you just turn off your brain and mash your dumb monkey fingers on the buttons 'til stuff explodes. Even the missions are freakin' ridiculous. It's a really fun game for when you're drunk.

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Instructor
#17 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by paksetti
If all you can afford is one game, get sr2, if you can afford them all, they sell 1&2 as a box set and sr3's a bit cheaper as the new one's coming out soon. They're all fun in different ways. (though I still stand by my statement that one is the most boring, 2 has the most meat, and 3 is the most insane) If you ever found yourself picking up a gta game and thinking "c'mon, I don't care about all this boring story shit" then play sr3. It's the kind of game where you just turn off your brain and mash your dumb monkey fingers on the buttons 'til stuff explodes. Even the missions are freakin' ridiculous. It's a really fun game for when you're drunk.

Absolutely agree with this statement. I can't wait for the craziness of SR4.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aaries16
Absolutely agree with this statement. I can't wait for the craziness of SR4.

Well, SR4 is out now and it seems deep silver has done it; kill the franchise. Read that your gangmembers don't play a role at all.
Deep Silver went for the quick cash.
Instructor
#19 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 3:04 PM
The franchise of Saint Row is all about the craziness. Saints Row 4 doesn't depend on your gang members much, but why bother with them anyway, they get in the way. You have superpowers in SR4. Plus it's a throwback to the other games in the series as well because the plot features prominent characters from the past. Don't knock it before you try it. I liked Saints Row 4, even though SR2 is still my favorite of the set.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#20 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 3:07 PM
SR4 is made of win and pancakes. I wasn't fond of SR3 - it kinda jumped the shark. Instead of dialing it back like I thought they would for SR4, they just went, "Eh, fuck it!" and launched the shark into outer space and gave it super powers. I've spent like three hours just leaping around the city collecting clusters. It is brilliant, and the most fun I've had in a game possibly ever. Even the glitches (and OH so many glitches) are actually sort of... charming somehow, at this level of complete and utter ridiculousness.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Inventor
#21 Old 3rd Sep 2013 at 4:49 PM
I have lots of fun with SR3. I've never played any of the other SR games, but SR3 is a blast to play.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th May 2014 at 9:42 PM
I liked both games because of the style of play, hilarious story and the references, God the references. Too many games take themselves too seriously. Saints Row 3 & 4 says eff that. Don't play the game if you want a challenge + serious story.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 27th May 2014 at 5:30 AM
Don't bring up old topics please

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Instructor
#24 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 4:26 AM
Anyways..... Sr is pretty funny and weird at times, it just keeps getting more and more random! XD

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Field Researcher
#25 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 12:36 PM
I love that game. However I agree the guns don't really work as they should. Enemies dodge too easily, and every bullet impact seems to make enemies perform a pirouette, thus making headshots almost impossible. Though that doesn't really matter since headshots don't seem to do anything, enemies still take about three or four of those to go down... Game also tends to get too chaotic at times, even at low notoriety levels. Not the good kind of chaotic, but the kind when you're literally getting hit from every direction by... well, everything.

Still, at least the guns in this game actually look like guns if you ignore the low res textures. They have proper animations, with moving components which is more than I can say for OTHER sandbox games (GTA IV, GTA V, Watch Dogs, etc). As for the chaos, fuck it, if things get too hot just call in a tank