Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 12:59 AM
Default US users: Net neutrality repeal going into effect today
Unfortunately, the Net neutrality repeal won and in the coming weeks, the Internet in US territory will be controlled.

However, it's not too late.

Call, write or even tweet the Congressmen who sided with Cable and tell them why Net neutrality is something that should never be repealed. Demand a free and open Internet.

(Seriously, June 11 came and I practically badgered my Congressmen by tweeting them the same message that was written in a form tweet. I even sent a form letter via email.)

Tumblr has already started a special page for users of the Internet in the US to communicate with their politicians, the ones in particular who were for the repeal.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 1:01 PM
Well you'll be damned I guess. I thought it's not going to happen.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Well you'll be damned I guess. I thought it's not going to happen.

It lost by 50 votes. It also means the fate of this board is up in the air as the new regulations, in the event it goes forward, could prevent US users from visiting the site.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 5:21 PM
That's really doubtful.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
That's really doubtful.

One of us is lost.

Instructor
#6 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 4:36 AM
I guess with all the Trump/DPRK scuttle this got lost in making it to headlines.
Welp.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 6:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gremily_
I guess with all the Trump/DPRK scuttle this got lost in making it to headlines.
Welp.
I think that's right. Seeing how it deflected G7 meeting news, it surely could let the repeal of Net neutrality slip past.
dodgy builder
#8 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 1:00 PM
... and still you can't get rid of that man. Seriously you have to make it easier to sack a president.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 2:19 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 13th Jun 2018 at 2:57 PM.
In this era of false information, I can't seem to find a confirmed article that says the repeal is not happening.

So as far as I can tell, the repeal is still on.

Besides, paying for Internet? I already pay a share of the utilities for telecommunication access and my smartphone's maintenance to access so I rather have an Internet with ads for relevant items for unfettered access than pay, say, $100 a month for same access. In fact, I mostly write here from my phone so you may see auto correct issues.

My biggest point of contention is for low-income families and public places who are accessing the Internet. About 20% of the American population at my last check does not have access to the Internet as a tool to educate their families on health and community resources. If smaller, non-government, educational sites become casualties of the repeal, it could be ugly.

I also should mention that a lot of major corporations in entertainment and communications of major concepts rely on trending input from consumer access. If that consumer access is cut off from sites they keep tabs on, it would wreck their numbers.

I can go on about the reason a free and open Internet is a big deal for US life, but I made my point.