Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 4:22 PM
Modding tutorials for absolute beginners?
Either it's my ADHD, or I'm just dumb, but I've looked everywhere for Sims (esp 3) tutorials on how to create mods or make CC, and I understood absolutely nothing.
Where do I even begin? what programs do I need? can anyone explain to me the basics of modding like I'm a 5 years old?
Every tutorial I have found left me utterly confused, it had too much information to proccess at once, and it all seemed like it's directed at more experienced modders rather than newbies.
I read somewhere that you need to know c# coding language, is it really a major deal? I know a little bit of coding but I didn't really get to touch subjects like c#.
Also what small projects do you recommend me to do in order to practice modding? Obviously I can't just jump in and do some special effects mod with major animations and such, I thought that maybe doing things like adding songs to the radio or making a hairstyle will be good for starters, am I correct? if not, what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!♡
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 9:50 PM
Hmm depends! I know some great hairstyle creating tutorial but it doens't explain the knowledge of meshing as do a looooot of tutorials. So if you want to create something, I would first recommend a bit on how to use a 3D program. (that helped me out to be honest). Same goes for object making, clothing making (Unless you want to do marvelous designer meshes but those... I wouldn't really recommend.)

C# is needed. I know some HTML coding but it's literally not the same. The only thing that's the same is the linking. Unless you want to make some default replacement mods, then I would recommend following this tutorial: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1613/

And I'm working on the 'amazing CC creator tutorial guide' which includes a lot of tutorials on making poses, clothing, hair, tattoos/skin overlays and object creating and much more. I'm not sure when to finish it though >-<

For practicing, I always thing converting things would do great when it comes to teaching how to make clothing in general. It brought me to knowing a looot more about clothing making then I knew 2 years ago. I think it took me a few months to understand the entire progress so it can take a while 'till you understand everything of creating stuff. But let me know with what you want to try out! I'll send some great tutorials to start with ^-^
Instructor
#3 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 11:50 PM Last edited by Butterbot : 27th Jun 2016 at 9:12 PM. Reason: As per Greenplumbbob's suggestion
Part of the problem is that looking to learn "how to create mods or make CC" is too vague. It's like trying to learn "how to make food", without figuring out whether it's to learn Moroccan cuisine, put together a gourmet sandwich, make noodles by hand, bake a birthday cake, or smoke your own fish. The procedures for all these things are very different, albeit with some overlaps.

Be specific about one thing you want to learn, then proceed from there. Modding in TS3 can be broadly categorized as follows:
  • Modding
    • XML tuning mod
    • Script mod (+/- object): requires knowledge of C#
  • Custom content
    • Objects
      • Buy objects (+/- script)
      • Specialized build objects: walls, fences, floors, etc.
    • Patterns
    • Create-A-Sim parts
      • Clothing/shoes
      • Hair (texture/mesh)
      • Accessories
      • Makeup, skintones, etc
  • Misc.: poses, UI edits, shader settings, etc.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 11:57 AM
I agree with Butterbot, there is a lot you can make for the sims, even when we're talking about anything C# like. I know some great 'Custom content' tutorials but it's hard to point you to helpful ones and better explained ones when it comes to 'I want to make CC'. Now nobody really starts off with the idea of 'yes I want to learn how to make clothing'. while there is so much more to that. SInce shoes have a different way of being created than clothing.

@butterbot, maybe you could add 'hair retexture' to it too as it's pretty famous these days.
Instructor
#5 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
@butterbot, maybe you could add 'hair retexture' to it too as it's pretty famous these days.

Done; also added shoes to the list. Thanks for the suggestion.