Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:13 AM
Default Roof Problem?
Hey i have a problem wit the sims 3 when i go to put a roof on it just shows the triangles and not the roof its really confusing. does anybody know whats going on?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:16 AM
You're not alone my friend.
Me along with a lot of the community are having the same problem.
I've contacted EA twice about this issue..and they keep telling me it's my video card and that I need a new one.
Which is a big pile of BS. I run my game on high all settings and it doesn't even lag..it has no video card problems.
but hey? What do I know. lol

So I guess we should hope for a patch fix at least..
Instructor
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:26 AM
A patch sounds good right about now. I haven't experienced any roof issues HOWEVER I have been running into the friggin lockup\freezing bug which they KNOW about. It's turned me into a paranoid geek when it comes to saving so much. O_O
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:50 AM
That's weird. Do you mean that it's only showing the walls and not the roof, or something else? If its the first one, have you tried clicking going up to the next story a few times? Think you could post a screenshot?
Theorist
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:56 AM
If it is a video issue, the fix could be as simple as updating your drivers. Even brand new video cards usually don't have the latest drivers shipped with them.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:33 AM
oh trust me..my video cards are updated. I've made sure every time EA gives me bull sh**.
I even sent proof that I did because they sent an email back saying that they needed proof my drivers were updated.
After proof...
they tell me that they're very sorry my issue couldn't be solved, but despite how your game works fine, you'll need a new video card for your roof to work properly.

yeah..thanks EA. You're an amazing company.

here's a screenshot of our problem Aree.

and yes..I'm positive that I've hit the "floor up" button. I've probably hit it about a million times out of frustration. lol
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:41 AM
Who made the video card?
What model is the video card?
How much memory is on the video card?
Where did you download the drivers?

I'm running on a notebook and have only run into two glitches, but thats probably related to the amount of memory (64meg) the card has, and chances are, its not even part of the certified hardware list.

Now, my ASUS EN8800GTX card in my main machine, I've not had one glitch.
Alchemist
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:48 AM
Yeah. I have the same problem. But i think its my video card. I installed it on my uncles laptop (which is a year or two newer then mine) and it worked perfectly... so i dunno... i've been calling it a glitch for the last month and a half... but i'm beginning to think its my computer.... i won't be able to afford a new one till the end of the year tho so i guess i'm stuck with it, unless they release a patch which fixes the problem...

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:50 AM
lol pontiac..I have no idea how to answer all that. I'm not too computer savy when it comes to that stuff. :p
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:30 AM
Well, I don't want to sound like an ass, but I am going to be blunt. Unless you know what your hardware is about, then:

A> You probably don't have the latest drivers - If you did know what your video card was, then you would know what you need to download.
B> You don't know if your video card is part of the compatible hardware list. This game requires certain functions of your video card. If your card doesn't have it, its not going to work. It could be also a memory constraint as this 64meg video card on this notebook HAS glitched when I was around the stadium.
C> You're basically calling EA support idots because they can't fix your problem when your problem is your hardware to begin with.

You can use the excuse that someone in the family knows what your computer is, what its about, and you've had `someone who knows computers` over to look at it, and they claim that they've done the best that they can, but in my experience (And trust me, in this regard its a lot experience) `someone who knows computers` are people I tend to just nod my head and agree with them when I really just want to roll my eyes at them.

My experience is that the blame is put on the end users machine in some regard. Yes, EA is a crap company when it comes to support sometimes, but there are so many different video cards out there that incompatibilities do exist, to which why there is a compatibility list.

Go into your display settings, find out where it names your video card. I don't know if Vista has it, but you can also run DXDIAG and it'll tell you a tonne of stuff about your system. From that, find that hardware list I've been preaching about and see if anything comes close to it. If not, find out what kind of machine you've got to find out if you can get a compatible card installed. If you can't, well, unfortunately, you're going to be out of luck unless you get another machine.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:13 PM
I have been working with EA Games customer support for a while now and they finally admitted to me today that the problem is with more than one chip set. Yes, you may need to update your drivers and yes, your graphics may not be up to snuff but no, that isn't always the case.

There is a problem that has nothing to do with the issues they have been claiming are the cause. They say that they are looking into it further.

My suggestion is if you have tried all the things they say to try, you don't have the chip set they say is the problem and you know (or are fairly sure) that your system should meet the specs the game requires, send a copy of your DxDiag.txt file to EA Games customer support. The more information they have, the more likely they can get this fixed.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:41 PM
I dont have roofs either, I was told it was the graphics card being pants (Intel 945)

As lazy as a rug on vallium
Alchemist
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 11:16 PM
Hmmm... i just forever hopeful that they'll release a patch soon that'll fix the issue. It'll be almost 2 months since its release soon so it must be coming..... surely...??? :S

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.