Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2017 at 10:02 AM
Default WCIF Mod that increases number of searches for job
When searching for a job in a newspaper or on a computer you can respectivily find 3 or 4 jobs.
With all Maxis' and custom jobs it takes ages to find the career you want.
And ok there is the Job Seeking Board by Moghughson, but with that you find ALL jobs and you can choose the one you want right away.
I want my sim still want to search the newspaper and on the computer and have the option to choose from the random jobs it offers.
So is there a mod that increases the 3 and 4 job searches or is it possible to make such a mod?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:06 AM
The newspaper limit appears to be hard-coded in a BHAV, and not configured via a BCON, so you'd need a different version of the mod for every version of the game that introduced a new newspaper feature (eg FT reading about hobbies) I think.

The BHAV is called "read" (sort the BHAVs by name in SimPE, it's the only one called that IIRC) and it's the line "Local2 (Loops) := Literal 3"

Edit: Didn't check the computers, as there are so many of them and custom versions

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
The newspaper limit appears to be hard-coded in a BHAV, and not configured via a BCON, so you'd need a different version of the mod for every version of the game that introduced a new newspaper feature (eg FT reading about hobbies) I think.

The BHAV is called "read" (sort the BHAVs by name in SimPE, it's the only one called that IIRC) and it's the line "Local2 (Loops) := Literal 3"

Edit: Didn't check the computers, as there are so many of them and custom versions

I already checked some of the in game computers but it's hard coded BHAV too.
I haven't checked the newspaper. I need to find it in SimPE first.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to find it.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 12:55 PM
Just FYI BO has done something similar but he decreased not increased job offers: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1224.html
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
Just FYI BO has done something similar but he decreased not increased job offers: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/thread-1224.html

That's not what I'm looking for. The max number of job offers will still be 3 for newspaper and 5 for computers.
Bo's mod makes it just possible to have a random number (0-3or5) of job offers.
I want that 3 to be 9 and 5 to be 15 or so.
Bo's mod is realistic cause indeed every day the number of job offers is different in real life.
But the number of job offers is way more than 3 or 5.
So unfortunaitely Bo's mod can't help me.
But I appreciate a lot that you want to help me find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Instructor
#6 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 2:02 PM
But it will show you exactly where to look ......

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 3:14 PM
But it will show you exactly where to look ......

Well I found the name "Token - Jobs Available" thanks to Bo's mod, but I can't find it in Object Workshop in SimPE.

P.S.: I don't really know how to work with BHAV.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 4:45 PM
According to William, you need the Read..not the token. But hey..I am just lurking in here...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
According to William, you need the Read..not the token. But hey..I am just lurking in here...

But he means in the BHAV list once you have opened the correct package(I don't know how to name it exactly) in the Object Workshop
I turn of the Catalog and search for anything that can have to do with this, but I can't find the correct package to select in 'Object Workshop'.
Once I have found the correct package to clone from the 'Object Workshop' I won't have any trouble with finding the Read he means.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 5:16 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 30th Apr 2017 at 5:35 PM.
newspaper does not come up as something to clone? I know it does, I used it...I had to clone it to extract textures & mesh from it, for my commercial display set.
But not under that name, and it has no image (in my SimPE anyway!)...

@lientebollemeis
Here. it is under Unknown, and is called SimCity Chronical.
You might need to be set in Advanced mode to see it? I'd recommend this mode at all times anyway.
I made a fake clone, but you'd make a real one with everything you need to keep, checked.
Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 5:59 PM Last edited by lientebollemeis : 30th Apr 2017 at 6:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
newspaper does not come up as something to clone? I know it does, I used it...I had to clone it to extract textures & mesh from it, for my commercial display set.
But not under that name, and it has no image (in my SimPE anyway!)...

@lientebollemeis
Here. it is under Unknown, and is called SimCity Chronical.
You might need to be set in Advanced mode to see it? I'd recommend this mode at all times anyway.
I made a fake clone, but you'd make a real one with everything you need to keep, checked.

Thank you so so much!
I never would have found it naming SimCity Chronical.
I'm going to try it right away.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 6:05 PM
You are most welcome.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 6:10 PM
I found it :D
I also found the correct line to alter in the BHAV Read (the line Whoward means).
But is it really as simple as changing "literal 3" into "Literal 15"?
I'd test it out in game right away, but as I don't know much 'bout BHAV I'm very careful with testing.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 7:00 PM
Rename your whole TS2 folder in My Documents (add .bak to the folder) and run the game. Turn on custom content, quit, add a Downloads folder and place your mod in. Test it out with some of the maxis hoods.

It gives you a disposable area for testing while "inoculating" your normal hoods, completely safe from any changes. When you're done testing, delete or rename the newly generated TS2 folder and delete the suffix to the original one. Your hoods will be restored, untouched.

But, I would have thought you could just use MogHughson's newspaper rack to buy more newspapers?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Rename your whole TS2 folder in My Documents (add .bak to the folder) and run the game. Turn on custom content, quit, add a Downloads folder and place your mod in. Test it out with some of the maxis hoods.

It gives you a disposable area for testing while "inoculating" your normal hoods, completely safe from any changes. When you're done testing, delete or rename the newly generated TS2 folder and delete the suffix to the original one. Your hoods will be restored, untouched.

But, I would have thought you could just use MogHughson's newspaper rack to buy more newspapers?

Thanks on the help for testing it, but I mean the game in general. It would not be the first time I have to install all 20cds again because of a bad mod. I want to be certain changing literal 3 into literal 15 won't cause problems.

But buying more newspapers would that mean that there are 3 different jobs in eg 3 new newspapers? So if my sim doesn't find a dreamjob in 1 newspaper he can just buy another one? Won't it be the same 3 jobs in every newspaper you buy?

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 8:24 PM
There's never any need to reinstall the game unless you've deleted or replaced a file in Program Files, or done something silly like controlling the grim reaper. You should make all your objects.package files read-only too, to further reduce the risk posed by aforementioned silly actions.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
There's never any need to reinstall the game unless you've deleted or replaced a file in Program Files, or done something silly like controlling the grim reaper. You should make all your objects.package files read-only too, to further reduce the risk posed by aforementioned silly actions.

In other words it should be completly safe to just try it then?
I'll let you know how it turned out.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st May 2017 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
I found it :D
I also found the correct line to alter in the BHAV Read (the line Whoward means).
But is it really as simple as changing "literal 3" into "Literal 15"?
I'd test it out in game right away, but as I don't know much 'bout BHAV I'm very careful with testing.

Aparantly it won't be as simple as changing literal 3 into literal 15.
When my sim looked for a job, he found the Medicine, but the next one was also Medicine and the next one too,....
I counted how many times it appeared and it was +15 (so I ended the search after +20).
I really don't know what I have to change in the BHAV "Read" to make it work correctly.

My sollution when I play now is that my sim follows a career that I made myself namely Job Candidate until he/she finds the job I want for me sim on the computer or newspaper. So then the sim earns a bit money (social security) until finding the dreamjob.
But still I would love to have this mod!

Theorist
#19 Old 1st May 2017 at 3:02 PM
Re-buying newspapers (un-modded) still gives that day's job list. I tried saving the papers at inventory, thinking it would keep the jobs for each day it was delivered. Once the sim went to check the jobs, they all had the same job offers for the day he was reading them, not the day they were originally from. I know nothing about modding, just try things out of curiosity. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st May 2017 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
Re-buying newspapers (un-modded) still gives that day's job list. I tried saving the papers at inventory, thinking it would keep the jobs for each day it was delivered. Once the sim went to check the jobs, they all had the same job offers for the day he was reading them, not the day they were originally from. I know nothing about modding, just try things out of curiosity. (:

Testing out such things for modders is also very helpful.
Thinking together (although you're not a modder) can give modders inspiration and more insight on how to create things.
So I can only encourage you

Instructor
#21 Old 1st May 2017 at 10:20 PM
OK, done some digging, and I'm far from understanding exactly what is going on.

An object called the Job Finder, early every morning, scores the available jobs and then picks five (hard-coded)
When the newspaper is delivered, it finds the first three (hard-coded) of those and stores them in three attributes (hard-coded) on the paper (which is why they don't change, and appear in the same order)
I'm guessing the computer uses the three from the newspaper first (as jobs from the computer always start with the three from the paper) and then the other two, presumably storing the order somewhere
BO's mod works because it only lowers the hard-coded values of 3 and 5. It uses the custom token in the code to store how many jobs are available (in a rather cunning use of mathematics )
The reason why you see the same job repeated, if you change that value in the newspaper code, is because the code only specifically checks for looking at "job three" and "job two" and assumes all other requests are for "job one" (ie if you ask for "job four" or "job forty" you get "job one")
I've found many BHAVs that are hard-coded at 5 and 3 - expanding the number of jobs on offer is in the realm of non-trivial as far as I'm concerned (give me another year or two at this stuff in other words!)

HTH

W

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd May 2017 at 7:05 AM
OK, done some digging, and I'm far from understanding exactly what is going on.

An object called the Job Finder, early every morning, scores the available jobs and then picks five (hard-coded)
When the newspaper is delivered, it finds the first three (hard-coded) of those and stores them in three attributes (hard-coded) on the paper (which is why they don't change, and appear in the same order)
I'm guessing the computer uses the three from the newspaper first (as jobs from the computer always start with the three from the paper) and then the other two, presumably storing the order somewhere
BO's mod works because it only lowers the hard-coded values of 3 and 5. It uses the custom token in the code to store how many jobs are available (in a rather cunning use of mathematics )
The reason why you see the same job repeated, if you change that value in the newspaper code, is because the code only specifically checks for looking at "job three" and "job two" and assumes all other requests are for "job one" (ie if you ask for "job four" or "job forty" you get "job one")
I've found many BHAVs that are hard-coded at 5 and 3 - expanding the number of jobs on offer is in the realm of non-trivial as far as I'm concerned (give me another year or two at this stuff in other words!)

HTH

W

Well then the only sollution is like I play now with my career Job candidate to pay the bills until the correct job comes up. In real life it can also take a very long time to find your dreamjob so it's not that unrealistic.
Thanks for taking a look too. Now I know I don't have to put my time in it (I nearly know anything about BHAV). If a skilled modder like you needs two years than I can't find it anyway.