Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#326 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 4:19 PM
So true, @Duine The looks of Sims (and sometimes people!) tend to improve a lot when I get to know them better.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#327 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 4:39 PM Last edited by kasparlaks : 24th Jul 2015 at 4:58 PM.
I know I'll get a ton of disagrees on this one, but here goes my two cents...

This is getting a little ridiculous, in my opinion.
We all have different playstyles, and it's absolutely nobody's right to put others down for it.
I punish the Ottomi, hell, I punish everyone in my game sometimes. This is what The Sims is all about. Admit it, we all do things, masochistic things, we wouldn't do in real life.
And that is fine.
I like laughing at ugly sims, so what? Call the cops on me and tell them I'm harassing someone? I've killed thousands of sims, what am I, a murderer? The base line here is that if you can keep The Sims and real life separate, it's fine. I don't have model looks, I would never laugh at people who don't. I don't even laugh at sims who don't have model looks. But I do laugh at purposely-made-ugly sims, when their green cheeks clip through the plate they're currently licking.
As it was said before, they're just pixel images. You can send them to the Sun for all I care. Stop being white knights, it's just a game; until people still know the difference between a game and real life, laugh at whatever tickles your fancy.

ALSO; just to clarify, I don't think the Ottomi are ugly. But I don't judge players who don't like their looks and make fun of them and laugh at them.

❈ "Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" ❈
– Clairee Belcher, "Steel Magnolias"
Theorist
#328 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 9:07 PM
The entire family is in one of the local cemeteries of my new neighborhood. It has nothing to do with their looks either (though if it did it would be my prerogative)...I just don't like playing them (tried and wasn't a fan).

To each their own.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Lab Assistant
#329 Old 26th Jul 2015 at 6:17 AM
I never played the Ottomas family, but I don't really have much against them - the only things that irritate me are Dora's hideous cheekbones, and the fact that David wears a tank top(for some reason, I just don't like how men look with sleeveless shirts, whereas women are another story...). Although, since the latter can be very easily fixed with a trip to the clothes store, and Bigsimsfan12 has proved that the former is fixable, I may be convinced enough to play as them, even if for a while. I'll probably terminate the pregnancy, though - could barely handle two babies/toddlers at once, let alone three plus a child, and I'm terrified of the toddlers' hideous looks.

I really do like how Samantha looks, though.
Instructor
#330 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 2:15 AM
Maple Ridge (formerly Belladonna Cove)

Peter had an attraction to one of my playable Sims Jean-Pierre and began an affair.
Sam read Peter's date flowers, slapped him and Peter invited JP over to rub it in Sam's face.
After JP and Samantha got into a fight, Peter divorced Samantha and moved in with Jean-Pierre.
They got married that night and with the help of a mod, Jean-Pierre is pregnant.

David totally hurt from the family drama turns punk, and vandalizes Jean-Pierre and Peter's home often resulting in fines that his Mom has to pay and the family is already struggling financially.

As a last resort to save her son, Sam sends David to college with the help of a grant for poor Sims to further their education.

With David gone though, it's one less pair of hands. Dora is getting frail and spends most of her day in bed being of little use to Sam.

I'm not sure how she's gonna do, when Dora dies. Money is running low and she'll need to hire a nanny and find a job after the twins are born.

Peter refuses to pay child support and is a deadbeat dad, I wonder if he will do the same to Jean-Pierre??

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Field Researcher
#331 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 4:32 AM
I usually move them into one of the houses from Riverblossom Hills. It's the big one in the corner of the neighborhood. I added that house to the lots and houses bin before I moved them in so I have it for every neighborhood. I always redo the house so that it becomes a 4 bed 2 bath house. David and Tommy share a room downstairs, Dora gets the other room downstairs, and Sharla gets her own room.
Dora usually retires from her job and gets a makeover. I love the way she looks after she changes her hair and clothes.
Peter keeps his job as a Journalist, and almost always cheats on Samantha.
Samantha keeps her job in the Education career and gets a makeover. I really like the way she looks. She usually catches Peter cheating and kicks his worthless butt out.
David gets a job in the Music career and becomes an Overachiever.
Sharla usually grows up to be gorgeous! Usually she goes to college.
Tommy grows up into a wonderful child
And the twins, Declan, and Penelope, grow up happily not knowing their horrible father.
And to get Dora her 6 Grandkid lifetime want, I invite Peter over and he gets Samantha pregnant again.

I actually enjoy playing the Ottomas family! I love the challenge.
Top Secret Researcher
#332 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 8:59 AM
I played them for 1 week before starting over. What I plan to do is send David to Uni (don't know how old he starts out as so when depends on how close to Adult he is). Have the twins. Dora will retire. Peter will try to be a good dad but fail trying to get his kids into sports as per his Bio thing. Otherwise I can't see him as a bad father, even if he is a romance Sim. Everyone always gets a makeover (clothes/hair/makeup that stuff, not looks wise). David will probably get a music-related job. I don't know what i'm going to do with Sharla yet, or Tommy, or the Twins to be. I haven't plopped them down yet but I am planning on adding them to Widespot RFD when I attach it to Strangetown. I figure they kind of belong there.

I know I had some issue hoodchecker found before a long time ago when I played them just a little bit in Riverblossom Hills...when Dora got her LTW to have 6 grandchildren. I remember I asked about it but can't remember if I should be worried about it or not.

Edit: As hoodchecker wouldn't delete it I believe..

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
#333 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 6:55 PM
Dora died of old age (I tried to save her but couldn't in the chaos of the household). Peter was always ignoring Samantha, so finally she got a full makeover (she looks good as a brunette) and divorced Peter. He's living on his own now in a very cheap apartment and doesn't know what to do with his life except date blondes. Samantha married a lumberjack type from the mountain vacation destination and they're planning a family of their own. Sharla is in college, plans to become a dancer. She has a steady boyfriend with criminal tendencies, but at least he treats Sharla well.

I love that Sharla is so weird looking. I like a mix of beautiful and ugly Sims in the game. It makes for more interesting children. David, though, looks like half the Townies, just generically ugly, so I don't think he'll have children in my game. He doesn't mind because he's obsessed with his music career.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#334 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 10:28 PM
Just wondering, but all of you who play this family, how about making a new thread called "How do you play the Ottomas family" I am tired of seeing this silly punished title from a banned user from so many years ago. Do people still go around punishing them? It's been years since the Season patch fixed them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#335 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:58 AM
I agree with you Jo! I love the Ottomas family! We should make a new thread. I would love to see what people do with them
Mad Poster
#336 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 4:59 AM
Either that or petition the mods to change the name of this one.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#337 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 5:37 AM
I turned them all into ottomans and I put my stinky feet on them :P
Mad Poster
#338 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Just wondering, but all of you who play this family, how about making a new thread called "How do you play the Ottomas family" I am tired of seeing this silly punished title from a banned user from so many years ago. Do people still go around punishing them? It's been years since the Season patch fixed them.
I don't play the Ottomai because I don't have Seasons, but I wholeheartedly agree. I could at least understand why you might have a thread entitled "How did you punish Olive Specter?", but what on earth are the Ottomai supposed to have done to deserve "punishment"? I find the idea, that anyone should be "punished" just for not being sufficiently beautiful, totally abhorrent, even in a game, and it upsets me a little every time I see the title of this thread.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#339 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 11:23 AM
No, that would be from them and the Critter family (two dogs) bringing corruption into the game due to EA messing them up. Before it was patched the Ottamas twins could be linked to anybody as their father. In my game they were linked to a dog. People were understandably angry at EA's goof up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#340 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 12:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I could at least understand why you might have a thread entitled "How did you punish Olive Specter?", but what on earth are the Ottomai supposed to have done to deserve "punishment"?

Considering that my Strangetown's Olive does whatever the hell she wants, was reunited with her son, is married to her long-time boyfriend, and has regained her youth (being in close quarters with the Grim Reaper has strange effects) and had another kid... my answer to "How did you punish Olive Specter?" would be "Not at all!" I think she's both creepy and awesome.

I haven't punished the Ottomai either, though I did have Sharla go with Dora when she moved out. Since Dora is Sharla's favorite relative and Sharla is Dora's pilotfish granddaughter, it didn't seem right to split them up. Plus, it kept Sharla from getting lost in the shuffle. (And, amusingly enough, Dora and Olive despise each other and have absolutely epic battles whenever one encounters the other. I kinda wondered what their grudge was... but then I realized that since Dora's favorite granddaughter Sharla is dating Olivia (who is Olive's favorite granddaughter's daughter and the only great-grandchild that Olive gives a damn about), it all stemmed from each seeing the other's favorite as not being good enough for their favorite!)

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Instructor
#341 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 6:41 PM
I believe "Punishment" for Sims definition varies for each player.

Maybe my definition of punishing Sims includes totally disturbing the story line for Sims and not giving them a happily ever after as EA probably intended. I rarely let premade Sims follow their premade stories. I break up families, remove or add members, making rich Sims poor and vice versa (Goths and Broke household switched lives! ) I consider that punishment but if I really hated them I wouldn't be playing them at all.

For example I broke up the Newson family sending the four kids into adoption to live completely new lives with new families, I sent the teen boy (forgot his name) to college in hopes of being a doctor while I left the teen girl behind and she's living a troubled life downtown with her criminal adult boyfriend.

So in other words I screwed their whole story up and it's "punishment" but I guess it's more of a rebellion against pre written stories. I want more struggle and hardships for premade Sims, I make their lives complex and sometimes a living hell but I still care about them and I still have hope that they can have a better life if they work hard enough! but that's just how I see it, I know not every one may see things the way I do, but this is simply my playing style.

I actually gave the Ottomas some slack this time around, nobody was killed, I'm just making Sam's life harder but I do want her to meet someone eventually. But I have plans to make Sharla a trouble maker as well so Sam will have to learn to be a strong single mom and lead her kids in the right direction. Jean-Pierre my own creation, has to deal with the karma of having an affair with a married man his life won't be all peachy keen either for him.

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#342 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 6:57 PM
Punishment is not treating them badly in general - that would be "abuse" (or "artistic necessity" - who am I to judge?) It is specifically treating them harshly in retaliation for faults perceived by the player.

Which is silly, as pixels are necessarily always innocent. They can't deserve anything, good or bad. (Actually the notion of "deserving" is counterproductive in most real-life cases, too, but that's way off topic and the stuff of long pointless internet discussions that always end in tears and frustration.) The true guilty parties (the programmers who didn't test pregnancies begun in subhoods) are immune from prosecution.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#343 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 7:00 AM
I'm using the family in the Binnie Island Challenge, with the shopping district families added because i never play those either. The Ottomas family specifically has a hard time contributing anything to the community, since Samantha is busy being pregnant and raising her children and Peter is busy lamenting the fact that there are no eligible women on the island. Dora took care of the family's immediate needs and convinced Malcolm Landgraab to hire her granddaughter as a maid once she became a teen - all her wages go to support her family. Her older brother tries to earn money so he can get her out, but Dora might have plans for him as well...

(I'm trying to base the whole economy there on trading, since nobody can leave the island to get a job. It works pretty well, but it also makes Malcolm, who is trading in money, the most important person. He considers himself king of the island.)
Field Researcher
#344 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 8:01 AM
Personally, I don't hate Ottomases. I do think most of them are quite ugly, but I don't judge Sims by looks (usually gets better in later generations with a smart choice of breeding partner anyways ), they are quite fun to play though. Although considering how large the family is, they don't have that much money at first and buying a house big enough and furnishing it properly can be a challenge.

In my current Megahood, they live in Riverblossom Hills where they bought a house, but it's only half furnished for now (it has the living basics but not luxuries such as TV, chess table, etc.). In their free time, I make everyone fish in the lake in front of their house, so they get some fish which they sell for now (they are already a couple thousand simoleons richer thanks to fishing), but after they earn enough to furnish the house they might just do it for food, and maybe also add farming plants, which is too big of an investment for now. The eldest son (David?) will be off to university soon and will hopefully find an attractive, neutral-faced partner there We'll see how it goes, I always like to do a lot of planning in my head but not all of it works out the way I want it to
Mad Poster
#345 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 10:07 AM
I have played the unpatched Ottomas twins until they both had great grandchildren - okay, that hood vanished into thin space in a big, fiery ball thing back then - but I am not quite sure that the Ottomas twins were to blame. They were part of a quite enormous hood anyway. In my one current and patched hood, I see Chester Gieke hanging around with Dora a lot - I often see them together at community lots visited by other playables - so I kind of ignore both households at the moment (not up to dealing with a grieving Chester right now in case Dora kicks the bucket)
Test Subject
#346 Old 12th Sep 2015 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TumaSims
They lived happily with her three children until Peter showed up at their house in a jealous rage and murdered David and Dora.

Holy shit

I am burdened with glorious purpose.
Forum Resident
#347 Old 13th Sep 2015 at 6:59 PM
The one and only time I played the Ottomai, I had them take in the Newson children as well. Things were going great until Peter (with his sad case of woohoo addiction) decided to have an affair with Ginger and when she got pregnant he kicked her out of the house so Samantha wouldn't realize what had went on between them. Then bolts started flying between the Newson and Ottomas kids so I quit playing them because their family was already overwhelming enough without the kids having kids together.

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Mad Poster
#348 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 4:52 PM
Aaron, don't be mean. It's not that big a thread necromancy and this is essentially a "what did you do with" thread, and pannisim is new anyway. Now you've scared her and we'll probably never see her again.

Scholar
#349 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 7:22 PM
that just blows

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Top Secret Researcher
#350 Old 9th Feb 2016 at 8:16 PM
@pannisim

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Page 14 of 15