Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 1:24 AM
Default Can I downgrade from 1.69?
I installed the new 1.69 patch on Origin the day it came out, and I regret it. I didn't install it willingly, it came out of nowhere and installed by itself. Now, a lot of my mods don't work. The only redeeming quality of this patch is that it allows you to play without the disc. I want to downgrade back to 1.67. Is it possible to do this without having to uninstall the base game and my eight expansion packs and reinstalling them all again? If it is possible to downgrade back to 1.67, what about the saves I created and saved on in 1.69? Will they work on 1.67, or will I have to loose those saves? I apologize if this has been asked before or has already been covered. I searched the forum and didn't find anything relevant.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 2:15 AM
Use the 1.67 superpatch . That's how I got rid of 1.69 after installing Into the Future and Island Paradise, which Origin wouldn't let me install without. You can download it once and just keep it tucked away as well, just in case the update sneaks past you again. c:
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:09 PM
Most players I have seen try to downpatch back to 1.67 that way report that it doesn't work -- the Super Patcher complains that they already have a higher patch level. Clearly some have been able to make this work regardless (would be nice to know what the secret is for those who need it).

If you can't downpatch, the solution is to uninstall the base game only, reinstall it from a pre-Sept 2012 disc, and then Super Patch. The EPs should be able to stay as they are.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:16 PM
Well I installed the 1.67 superpatch. I just clicked Yes to update anyway when it said I already have a higher patch installed. This did get rid of the 1.69 Origin patch. Now my launcher crashes shortly after it starts. However, if I click the play button fast enough, I can play the game, and it seemed to work fine.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sega dude
Well I installed the 1.67 superpatch. I just clicked Yes to update anyway when it said I already have a higher patch installed. This did get rid of the 1.69 Origin patch. Now my launcher crashes shortly after it starts. However, if I click the play button fast enough, I can play the game, and it seemed to work fine.

It's good that you got that to work, but sounds like your Launcher is a bit of a hybrid now. If you need it to stay running long enough to manage your sims3pack content, this could be troublesome.
Banned
#6 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 7:51 PM
Oh I wish.
Right now, I'm on a VERY long boycott. This is how to wreck a Sims game.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:08 PM Last edited by WaytoomanyUIDs : 6th Jan 2016 at 9:18 PM. Reason: Speluing
I got the superpatcher to work on 1.69. Like sega dude I got the message about being at 1.67 already and clicked yes to patch anyway. The launcher Works For Me™ perfectly fine, no crashing and can run TS3 and install sims3packs and TS3 and my EPs are at the right patch level for 1.67

I was already using the Origin version of TS3, perhaps that is the difference?

EDIT: If you do try the superpatcher, I suggest backing up your TS3 directories first (the ones for the game and EPs, not just the data directory), just in case something goes wrong with the process.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:19 PM
The launcher says "Version: 1.67.2.02417". Now, for whatever reason, the Welcome tab doesn't load, and it no longer crashes. Should I just uninstall the base game and reinstall, as igazor said in his first post?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:27 PM
Well, IMO, if you have a non Origin TS3 disc, and you want to make sure the launcher is behaving itself, yes I would reinstall from scratch.

If like me you are stuck with the Origin version, and the launcher is behaving itself, I wouldn't bother.

EDIT: Just an observation, the launcher has always for me only loaded the welcome page about 2/3 to 1/2 the time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:43 PM
With the exception of Town Life Stuff, all of my Sims 3 games are on disc. I think I'll go ahead and reinstall the base game then.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 9:56 PM
I had great success with reinstalling the full game from disk, most of my expansions are download only but the base game was on disk, and I'm now happily on 1.67 again.
Test Subject
#12 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 7:35 PM
Just wanted to share that I am having issues with my launcher, also. I haven't played in over a week, and when I tried to start the game today, I get the error that the launcher has to close. I have all discs for my games and used the super patcher to update to 1.67. Never had any issues till just now, so I went ahead and updated my sims game to 1.69 and the launcher works fine. I had a feeling that the update would eventually be forced on me.
I'm going to try the new launcher out for a while, but I think I'll start looking for an older used version of the base game.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 4:45 PM
Reviving this thread as I'm having the same issue. I upgraded to Windows 10 and belatedly realized, upon reinstalling Sims 3, that I'm now tied to the ball and chain known as Origin on patch 1.69 and that Any Game Starter no longer works.

I have no clue where my base game discs are. Would it work if I installed the base game from Steam, which someone tells me is patch 1.67, then reinstalled the rest of the EPs on Origin? I have no idea what to do, but I know I need Any Game Starter, and it's not working for me on 1.69.
Scholar
#14 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 6:34 PM
unfortunatelly the Steam and Origin (and also the Disc) version are not replaceable. In any way except treating Steam just as a reseller (from Steam you can get the game key valid for Origin).

Old pre-2012 discs sometimes pops up on Amazon and other sites.

Any other option is "shady" and cannot be raised there.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Site Helper
#15 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 6:46 PM
As I understand it, the only way to play on Steam with EPs that are registered on Origin is to buy them on Steam. Steam will give you a code to allow you to play on Origin, but Origin doesn't return the favor.

I don't know how well this will work for you, but if you have a disc for your latest EP you could install the base game, run the superpatcher for 1.67, (backup the installed game, just in case this doesn't work,) install most of the rest of the EPs, then install the final one from the disc. Then use the disc to run the game, and refuse to allow the game to go online. This may not work. It's working for me, but mainly because my game hasn't seen the internet since the Supernatural patch. I manually patch. But I gather that Origin has gotten even pricklier in the past couple of years about people refusing to patch to the latest one.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 10:05 PM
Another way to put it is that you cannot mix and match Steam and Origin/disc installs.

Once you install anything, meaning base game or any EP/SP, by way of Origin, you are on Patch 1.69. There are no choices involved in the matter now, EA locked that down sometime last January. Technically you could refuse the 1.69 patch, but then you don't get the digital installation at all.

Not sure why Any Game Starter is needed since 1.69 provides its own EP/SP chooser on a tab in the Launcher, but I might be missing a benefit of the program that the EA way doesn't have. I've been on Patch 1.69 myself since over the summer, for me it's been annoying but not deal breaking.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 10:08 PM Last edited by Margaret Pendragon : 2nd Jan 2017 at 2:44 AM.
Argh, this is turning into such a headache. I ended up just buying everything off Steam because they were so cheap with their winter sale. But now I can't get AGS to recognize the game. I manually directed it to the executable, and can actually start the game, but am still getting unhandled exceptions, and the option to run the launcher is grayed out, so I can't install my store content.

I will try the super patch, but I read a lot of people saying that wouldn't work. That's why I turned to Steam to begin with.

AGS allows you to create separate save folders with separate cc. I don't even want to think of playing without it.

ETA- might have found the issue. I had installed in a custom location. After uninstalling and letting Steam install to its default directory, AGS finds the game and I have the option to run the launcher now. Fingers crossed that was the last hiccup and I can get my store stuff reinstalled.

ETA again- well it's buggy as hell. It can function, I can proceed at least, but now I'm kind of thinking I might just buy up the disks as I can afford them. Sorta regret dropping that hundred on Steam today, as I could technically use multiple saves with just renaming the Electronics Arts folder. ugh. I can at least access the launcher with AGS, but for some reason, not the file folder. No big deal, right, I can just access that through my Documents folder easily enough. But it's still throwing errors now while installing store stuff. If I try to install from my backed up files, the game tells me they can't be installed because my software isn't up to date. I can download and install from the store site just fine. Problem is...I own the entire store. So it's still a hassle. bleh. At least it's sort of working. Will start rebuilding my saves tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
ETA again- well it's buggy as hell. It can function, I can proceed at least, but now I'm kind of thinking I might just buy up the disks as I can afford them. Sorta regret dropping that hundred on Steam today, as I could technically use multiple saves with just renaming the Electronics Arts folder. ugh. I can at least access the launcher with AGS, but for some reason, not the file folder. No big deal, right, I can just access that through my Documents folder easily enough. But it's still throwing errors now while installing store stuff. If I try to install from my backed up files, the game tells me they can't be installed because my software isn't up to date. I can download and install from the store site just fine. Problem is...I own the entire store. So it's still a hassle. bleh. At least it's sort of working. Will start rebuilding my saves tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Just a hunch, but on the TS3 game folder in question might you be missing the store content patch?
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Just a hunch, but on the TS3 game folder in question might you be missing the store content patch?
That was my first thought as well, because I skipped it the first time I brought up the launcher. But it still happened after I accepted the store patch.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 10:22 PM
So if I understand this correctly, I will need to install even the EPs from disk? http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2015/11/patch-1-69.html
Alchemist
#21 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by samhain
I had great success with reinstalling the full game from disk, most of my expansions are download only but the base game was on disk, and I'm now happily on 1.67 again.

I have a question, as well. I'm planning on getting a larger SSD drive and that means reinstall of the game. I have the original base game on disk and most EP's + SP's through Origin. Can anyone confirm that the method quoted above works? Install everything, then uninstall and reinstall base game and use the 1.67 superpatch? Is this a valid method?
Mad Poster
#22 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I have a question, as well. I'm planning on getting a larger SSD drive and that means reinstall of the game. I have the original base game on disk and most EP's + SP's through Origin. Can anyone confirm that the method quoted above works? Install everything, then uninstall and reinstall base game and use the 1.67 superpatch? Is this a valid method?

It was a valid method until the middle of January last year, then EA locked that down with a required Origin update. If you uninstall the base game on a 1.69 install, it will usually take all of the EP/SPs down with it in a way that they become unusable.

I'm trying to be helpful here, honest, but now feeling like a broken record so I am probably going to leave this thread after saying this one more time. Once you install the base game or any EP/SP through Origin, you are on Patch 1.69. That's it, there is no downpatching that will work in any reliable manner.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Patch+1.69
Alchemist
#24 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
It was a valid method until the middle of January last year, then EA locked that down with a required Origin update. If you uninstall the base game on a 1.69 install, it will usually take all of the EP/SPs down with it in a way that they become unusable.

I'm trying to be helpful here, honest, but now feeling like a broken record so I am probably going to leave this thread after saying this one more time. Once you install the base game or any EP/SP through Origin, you are on Patch 1.69. That's it, there is no downpatching that will work in any reliable manner.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Patch+1.69

Thank you for answering. Sorry for having asked the same question again but with all these mixed/vague answers from different people - steam, digital, disk, origin - the whole thing just felt like a one big fruit salad to sort out. Didn't mean to annoy anyone. Now I just have figure out how to go about with the whole reinstall.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Thank you for answering. Sorry for having asked the same question again but with all these mixed/vague answers from different people - steam, digital, disk, origin - the whole thing just felt like a one big fruit salad to sort out. Didn't mean to annoy anyone. Now I just have figure out how to go about with the whole reinstall.

The broken record thing was really from responding to the same question so many times over the past year. Players come with all kinds of inventive yet still legal sounding ways to circumvent 1.69 and I would say 99% of the time it all just blows up in their faces either right away or somewhere along the line with the next Origin update. EA isn't as sophisticated as Steam, though they like to think they are and in time they have closed off a lot of loopholes for those wanting/needing to stay on 1.67.

Me being cranky is proof that I shouldn't be posting at all while fighting a migraine as I was doing last night and instead should be paying more attention to the substance in your avatar (one of my favorites, by the way). Sorry 'bout that.
Page 1 of 2