Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#51 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 6:03 AM
Default Being that some of you have mentioned that new movies should be at the end of threads
Here is the latest installment of Strangetown Conspiracy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JcIofjWgj-M

Plot Synopsis=Not even General Buzz Grunt can keep his composure at the prospect of sentencing his own son to death, but Pascal attempts to comfort him. In doing so, Buzz's mind wanders through the mental shelves of thirty years as he questions his own decision.

Author's Note=This special episode is narrated by me, and was done as a challenge between myself and a few other movie makers, for we wondered how the character General Buzz Grunt would sound coming from different cultural backgrounds. This then is Glaswegian General Grunt, and before any of you remark on how poor my accent is, let me just say that I've been making every effort to tone it down so most people can understand me. My wife laughed at me for many hours whilst filming this, as she said that my viewers would be saying "come again?" "what did he say?" So I've tried not to roll my tongue and use the hard-edged vowels I ordinarily employ, but hope I've preserved the cadence of my normal manner of speaking.

If you would like to hear what American North-Eastern Buzz Grunt sounds like, be sure to watch Swordsmasterguy's movie here. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8DGGaShXQuA...

If all goes well, you may soon hear the Norwegian and American South Central versions as well, so as much as some of you may wish to laugh at my accent, exercise some restraint (if commenting in the comments section of the movie), as doing so could potentially scare other directors off of the challenge. In private mail though, feel free!

If you still can't understand me, say so in your comments, and I will post the text.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 28th Apr 2008 at 11:01 PM
LOL poor joe your voice isnt to hard to understand it's kinda a cute accent lovely as always on the imagery
Field Researcher
#53 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 8:07 PM
it's soo cool the episode. as always though. and you have a great voice, i am a not very good english speaker and i don't understand it very well (i'm even always sitting at my computer with a dictionary) but, i actually understood every single word! so yeah it's udnerstandable.
#54 Old 16th May 2008 at 9:02 AM
Very good story! I love it!
Field Researcher
#55 Old 23rd May 2008 at 7:04 AM
I'm finally finished with my exam (and I've just updated my story) and I watched your latest videos. The April 1st one and the one where you spoke. I really loved your Glaswegian accent. I think your voice and your tune suited the sad atmosphere perfectly. Don't take this offensively but I had always imagined that General Buzz spoke in a more sharp and sturdy way but you made a great Buzz!
By the way, I loved both episodes but the first ones made me giggle a lot. The Curious brothers (sisters) in high heels and mini dresses???!!! I can guess they feel uncomfortable!
And I laughed out loudly when I saw General Buzz singing karaoke disco in a thong!!! Never imagined it was possible!
Even Old Olive was enjoying herself (well, she's a professional party guest so). And Mad Loki who is the least party-ish of them all
And I loved that you came into the story too. There has to be a Gary-Stu sometimes. This was atleast a funny, good author insert! I loved it.

I am looking so forwards to reading more. I am wondering how it is going with the Strangetowners. My favourites in your story will always be the Curious brothers, especially Pascal.

And there is more I've got to say!

I loved when Vidcund was asking "are we in Pleasantview?". haha.
And you have done a fantastic job in making the present generation of Strangetownians. I see you made them yourself instead of resurrecting or cloning them. Good job!
Test Subject
#56 Old 23rd May 2008 at 4:17 PM
What creeps me out is that I watched these and I do think I subscribed without knowing you were a fellow S2C goer. Oooh. Weird. ^_^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#57 Old 26th May 2008 at 6:51 AM
Default Strangetown Conspiracy 10:The Unforgivable Act
Hello everyone, thank you very much for being so supportive of this series! Sorry for the long delay, but I was unable to get the episode under ten minutes for the longest time. But after cutting it down to the most important plot points, here is the latest episode!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XdwN-Kn6FOM

Summary:Colony Drone 47, although benevolent toward his captives, expresses outright hatred toward one in particular; his biological brother, Lt. Frantisek Shiroyama. In an act proving that Ripp is truly a father's son, he boldly defends the lieutenant, without fully considering the consequences of his actions.

Oh yes, how to say Hanaiakamalama,the name of Lt. Shiroyama's dad? Say each syllable Hah-nah-ee-ah-kah-mah-la-ma. I thought it a very fitting name for a Hawaiian astronomer, as the name means "Adopted Child of the Moon." My Hawaiian friends also told me that it is the name of the Southern Cross also, a constellation that navigators used to travel about islands in the South Pacific, and no doubt other places in the Southern Hemisphere
Field Researcher
#58 Old 26th May 2008 at 10:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joe_mulcahy
Hello everyone, thank you very much for being so supportive of this series! Sorry for the long delay, but I was unable to get the episode under ten minutes for the longest time. But after cutting it down to the most important plot points, here is the latest episode!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XdwN-Kn6FOMm

Summary:Colony Drone 47, although benevolent toward his captives, expresses outright hatred toward one in particular; his biological brother, Lt. Frantisek Shiroyama. In an act proving that Ripp is truly a father's son, he boldly defends the lieutenant, without fully considering the consequences of his actions.

Oh yes, how to say Hanaiakamalama,the name of Lt. Shiroyama's dad? Say each syllable Hah-nah-ee-ah-kah-mah-la-ma. I thought it a very fitting name for a Hawaiian astronomer, as the name means "Adopted Child of the Moon." My Hawaiian friends also told me that it is the name of the Southern Cross also, a constellation that navigators used to travel about islands in the South Pacific, and no doubt other places in the Southern Hemisphere

Thanks a lot but this url doesn't work. I'm looking so forwards to see more.........
Test Subject
Original Poster
#59 Old 26th May 2008 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The_Oceanborn
Thanks a lot but this url doesn't work. I'm looking so forwards to see more.........

Oh, I'm sorry about that, I really should have tested that link first. But anyway, here is the correct link.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XdwN-Kn6FOM

Hope you enjoy the show!
Field Researcher
#60 Old 26th May 2008 at 7:33 PM
woohoo, it's awesome as always!!!
Alchemist
#61 Old 26th May 2008 at 7:36 PM
Dude that was so sweet...and such an interesting take on the pollinators and their reasons. I'm glad to see this series continue!

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Test Subject
#62 Old 28th May 2008 at 1:40 AM
Yay I loved it as always hehe and I love Ripp he's so cool LOL! I hope they consider the offer realy T.T
Test Subject
Original Poster
#63 Old 4th Jun 2008 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leenetje
I just LOVE the new episode! but if i was ripp and tank i wouldn't be cheering if my dad was dancing in a thong in front of me. and you just had me LMAO with the genderrversed curiouses.

Thank you very much for the feedback, Leenetje. Yes, perhaps it would have been more accurate to have Tank and Ripp appear utterly stunned at their father dancing in front of them in a thong, but perhaps they were cheering to see their usually uptight father loosen up a bit. Yes, I love the gender reversed Curiouses as well. I think Eaxis may have done well to make them Curious sisters in the first place!

Quote: Originally posted by ChaoticNeutral
There's something that's been bothering me a little in this thread, I don't know if I'm the only one but I find your links in the first post most confusing. Perhaps you could put something like:
Anyway...
"Not only is there to be no more violence in this series, bur we are to include romance now?! What do we look like, Pleasantview?!" So true!
In Unison: Science. <-
Loved the update, Joe. There are some nice considerations about our greater fiction-writing community. Censorship Board, huh? The greater evil indeed, enemy of awesomeness... And General Buzz dubbing in thongs was just priceless!
I also had quite an evil flu cursing me this week, hope you feel better (I'm still recovering and maaan isn't it a little nightmare). Waiting for the next chapter! :mob

Thank you very much for the suggestion, ChaoticNeutral, and you’re right, you’ll notice later episodes will be posted in a way more user friendly to the viewer. Thanks for the lovely comments as well, I meant to poke fun at the writing community because I love to print out fanfiction and read it from time to time. Many of the writers out there are very good. Flus are even more evil than the censorship board...if that’s possible at all.

Quote: Originally posted by Kacoshiajewl
OMG I loved it!!! thanks for the extra episode *huggles the curious sisters* they are to cute!!!!

Thank you very much, Kacoshiajewl glad you loved it. I know what you mean about the Curious sisters. I wonder how things would have been if Eaxis had made the Curious sisters, rather than the Curious brothers? Hmm...

Quote: Originally posted by Ani May
SCIENCE! Sorry, I've been following this series for a bit (before I decided to join the fourms) and I absolutely love it especially the Special Episode! ("Whomever designed High heeled shoes ought to be hanged")

I adore how you potray all the characters and the music is just fantastic! I nearly cried during the teddy bear scene in Chapter 8. I can't wait to see the next episode

Hope you get over that flu soon. =)

Thank you very much, Ani May! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoy how I portray characters, and like the music. Glad you liked that teddy bear scene, it took a long time to get the effect just right. It took even longer to do that than to film the first half of the episode actually. I’m glad it had the effect it did. Oh yes, the flu had me out of work for nearly two weeks, but I’m fine now.

Quote: Originally posted by Miao
This is a really brilliant series, especially in the execution. The music really enhances the scenes, and the camerawork resembles that in a real movie.

The characters are portrayed sensitively and thoughtfully, especially in the scenes with Pascal and Gen. Buzz. That scene with Buzz and young Ripp on the couch is just heartbreaking, and goes far in revealing how complex of a character Buzz is. Tying into that point, I really love how you interpreted the Curious family as liberal and peace-loving and the Grunt family as conservative and obsessed with honor and duty, but didn't make this distinction absolute or unwavering. I also like how Loki and Circe aren't completely evil, but just cold and cynical; the most cynical minds still have compassion and sympathy somewhere underneath. Making them too evil would've been too easy. The thoughts on war, racism, prejudice, and so on are really socially relevant.

Johnny and Ophelia are two of my favorite Maxis Sims. I could never bring myself to separate the two, so that scene in the desert was pretty shocking to say the least.

I can't even look at the Strangetown Sims the same way...and I'll definitely play the Grunt family more often. I'd always ignored them before, but I realized that I love Ripp and Buck.

SCIENCE!!! The special episode was hilarious.

Thank you very much for the feedback, Miao. Eaxis really gave us a gift in Strangetown, and telling their story is a real pleasure, but a challenge at the same time. I’ll admit to nearly portraying Buzz, Circe and Loki as more uni-dimensional characters, but as I was writing the script with my co-author Avatar Arkmage, we both ended up writing each character deeper than we ever imagined before. Glad to hear that you like Ripp and Buck, I was rather perplexed at all the indifference/outright hatred toward them especially on YouTube. Sure they aren’t macho military fellows like Buzz and Tank, but why hate on them for it? It’s great to hear that you like them, for I like them a lot, and thought that it was high time some one portrayed them positively on YouTube.

LOL poor joe your voice isnt to hard to understand it's kinda a cute accent lovely as always on the imagery

Thank you very much, Kacoshiajewl! I’m doing another voiceover, the next episode coming up will be voiced over actually.

it's soo cool the episode. as always though. and you have a great voice, i am a not very good english speaker and i don't understand it very well (i'm even always sitting at my computer with a dictionary) but, i actually understood every single word! so yeah it's udnerstandable.

Thank you very much for the feedback, Leenetje! That is very good to know that you could understand the voiceover. In fact, the next two episodes will be voiced over as well.

Quote: Originally posted by Janchux
Very good story! I love it!

Thank you very much for the feedback, Janchux! Glad to hear you love it!

Quote: Originally posted by The_Oceanborn
I'm finally finished with my exam (and I've just updated my story) and I watched your latest videos. The April 1st one and the one where you spoke. I really loved your Glaswegian accent. I think your voice and your tune suited the sad atmosphere perfectly. Don't take this offensively but I had always imagined that General Buzz spoke in a more sharp and sturdy way but you made a great Buzz!
By the way, I loved both episodes but the first ones made me giggle a lot. The Curious brothers (sisters) in high heels and mini dresses???!!! I can guess they feel uncomfortable!
And I laughed out loudly when I saw General Buzz singing karaoke disco in a thong!!! Never imagined it was possible!
Even Old Olive was enjoying herself (well, she's a professional party guest so). And Mad Loki who is the least party-ish of them all
And I loved that you came into the story too. There has to be a Gary-Stu sometimes. This was atleast a funny, good author insert! I loved it.

I am looking so forwards to reading more. I am wondering how it is going with the Strangetowners. My favourites in your story will always be the Curious brothers, especially Pascal.

And there is more I've got to say!

I loved when Vidcund was asking "are we in Pleasantview?". haha.
And you have done a fantastic job in making the present generation of Strangetownians. I see you made them yourself instead of resurrecting or cloning them. Good job!

Ocean, good to hear that those exams are finally over, I remember those days as though they were yesterday. It will be great to see you about the community more often! Yes, I also think Buzz’s voice ought to be sharp and sturdy, but he was supposed to be upset and broken in that episode, that’s why I softened up my voice to play him. Oh yes, I enjoy the Curious sisters as well, so it was a pleasure to include them in the story. Thank you very much for the feedback, Ocean!

Quote: Originally posted by Mishellia
What creeps me out is that I watched these and I do think I subscribed without knowing you were a fellow S2C goer. Oooh. Weird. ^_^

Thanks for the subscription, Michellia!

woohoo, it's awesome as always!!!

Thank you very much, Leenetje!

Quote: Originally posted by Ghanima Atreides
Dude that was so sweet...and such an interesting take on the pollinators and their reasons. I'm glad to see this series continue!

The whole rationale for the aliens and why why chose males to pollinate over females was something I've wondered about ever since the game began. This was the most plausible reason I could think up. Yes, this series will continue until the end.

Yay I loved it as always hehe and I love Ripp he's so cool LOL! I hope they consider the offer realy T.T

I'm so glad to hear that you loved it! Yes I hope so too!
#64 Old 26th Jun 2008 at 6:01 PM
Default next
when is the next episode out???
My favorite episode is the strangertown con-piracy one :gidea:
#65 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 2:15 PM
AWESOME!

I came across your movie more or less by accident, but watched all the episodes one after the other! I'm amazed at what you can do with the (indeed generous) options EAxis provided us with.
Love the teddy-bear hanging in the alley when Ophelia and Johnny are attacked - no doubt that's a reference to racial violence in the USA?
You portray the dynamics of an abusive family environment so realistically that it gets scary at times, but yet you make Buzz such a 3d character that it's really hard not to sympathize with him.
I love that there's not a clear line between good and bad in your movie. You make your viewers think about issues like war and ethnicity without it interfering with the plot. I love it - it makes this movie more than just watching pixels.
One tiiiiiny piece of feedback, though, and bear in mind that I don't want to criticize you, but I think you could play the emotions of your viewers even better if you improved the film-music. I can see improvements on that part with every episode, though!
I'll be waiting for the next episode, but by all means: take your time! No rushing the artist! :P

Thanks for the inspiration,
Renske.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#66 Old 27th Sep 2008 at 2:53 AM
Default Strangetown Conspiracy Chapter Eleven: A Brother's Fall
Hello everyone! Here is the latest episode of Strangetown Conspiracy. Sorry for the very long hiatus, but I can only seem to write in the dead of night, so because it never gets fully dark during the Summer months here, I couldn't get into the figurative zone, or the correct mindset to write. However, now that the sun is in the Southern Hemisphere once more, and the nights are longer and darker, look to see more episodes in the near future. Hope you enjoy this one.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSZvbX_XLb8

Summary:Still recovering from both the assault and Johnny's murder, Ophelia is plagued in the hospital by strange nightmares involving the enigmatic Nervous Subject and his uncanny resemblance to the grim reaper; Captain Vincent describes the events aboard the mothership, and fears for the lives of his crew as well as Ripp Grunt; General Buzz still agonises over his decision to put the safety of SimNation above that of his own son Ripp, and his relationship with Pascal, who seems determined to save Ripp at all costs.

I would like to thank Swordsmasterguy, who lent his voice and inspiration for this episode. I think he makes a fine Captain Vincent. Thanks also to my friends Tim, Malla, Sasuke, Fan and Simer, your inspiration makes these films possible.

Quote: Originally posted by rhysplyr4
when is the next episode out???
My favorite episode is the strangertown con-piracy one :gidea:

Here it is, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Strangertown Con-piracy show.

Quote: Originally posted by renske
AWESOME!

I came across your movie more or less by accident, but watched all the episodes one after the other! I'm amazed at what you can do with the (indeed generous) options EAxis provided us with.
Love the teddy-bear hanging in the alley when Ophelia and Johnny are attacked - no doubt that's a reference to racial violence in the USA?
You portray the dynamics of an abusive family environment so realistically that it gets scary at times, but yet you make Buzz such a 3d character that it's really hard not to sympathize with him.
I love that there's not a clear line between good and bad in your movie. You make your viewers think about issues like war and ethnicity without it interfering with the plot. I love it - it makes this movie more than just watching pixels.
One tiiiiiny piece of feedback, though, and bear in mind that I don't want to criticize you, but I think you could play the emotions of your viewers even better if you improved the film-music. I can see improvements on that part with every episode, though!
I'll be waiting for the next episode, but by all means: take your time! No rushing the artist! :P

Thanks for the inspiration,
Renske.

Oh yes, thank you very much for the feedback! Without all the many talented custom content creators, and the helpful tutorials in this community, this film would not have been possible, but may have been released as a mere fanfiction.

Yes, I think racism rears it's ugly head in every society, and since SIMS are really humans in pixelated form, I figured it would materialise in the form of tensions between humans and aliens.

Yes, I'm glad you like how I've portrayed domestic violence too, and I will consider what you've said about the music. I've selected these pieces for their ability to carry emotions. Hope you enjoy the next part.
Test Subject
#67 Old 27th Sep 2008 at 5:41 AM
Wow I haven't been around in ages I almost forgot about this series witch is due to my goldfish sized memory Thanks for another chapter to your wonderfull video. I will enjoy watching it Joe.

Edit: Just watched it and I am speachless at your story telling abblities. I realy like Buzz and Pascle as children there both adorible. I want more! lol
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 7:57 AM
For the next chapter, Joe, it's "Birth of an Angel", it's my inspiration from my comic from my drawing book.

Sims 2 Rocks! :D
Page 3 of 3